PDA

View Full Version : 5e: Running a game for 9 year olds; feedback needed

PangolinPie
2024-01-06, 11:29 AM
Okay so me and my wife recently hooked up with a group of my daughters friends parents and initially I didn’t think I had anything in common with any of the dads. Over the Christmas break we had them all over and one of them randomly asks “Hey does anyone know anything about DND? I’m kind of interested in learning more about it.” and in like “MY TIME HAS COME!” LOL

We get to talking, I explain some stuff and then I offhandedly mention how it would be cool if we could get the kids into it. Well he latches onto the idea quite enthusiastically and I’ve now been roped into running a game for a group of kids between the ages of 8-9 and also him who wants to be involved.

I mean the kids are pretty smart and all have some fondness for nerd culture. Most have seen or read Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and all that and his daughters at least seem to be really excited by the idea.

Considering picking up this guide I came across with more kid friendly 5e rules:

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/395165/Little-but-Fierce-Starter-Edition?affiliate_id=3008240

But at the same time I think 5e is simple enough that the kids could understand it but may simplify the rules for magic since the whole spell slots/spells known stuff could be a bit overwhelming.

My own GM who got his own kids into it gave me some good advice; keep it simple and short to start, maybe plan for a 3 session game to get them acclimated before doing anything longer and more in-depth. Avoid excessive customization options, do ASI rather than optional feats, no multiclassing, etc.

I guess what I’m asking is if anyone has any good resources, guides, lists of fun or silly magic items, kid friendly monsters, maybe even some books I should look into, etc I could utilize moving forward.

JLandan
2024-01-06, 02:23 PM
I've been running DnD and other rpgs for kids for many years now. Ages 8-9 is pretty young, but if they're smart kids four suggestions.

1) Don't infantilize the story, no "my little ponies" or anything like that, keep it fantasy adventure, not cartoon highjinks. Kids don't like being talked down to, and never think something is too gory for a kid, their tastes are actually quite disgusting. Oozing blood, popping eyes and farts are the funniest things.
2) Because they're so young, don't let them die. Not because death of characters is traumatic, it isn't (they die in their video games all the time), except for snowflakes who should not play this game anyway. It's because death of a dear character may turn them off the game when the idea is to recruit them as new players. If they hate their character, murder it and have them make a new one.
3) Resist the temptation to simplify the mechanics. 5e is already pretty streamlined. Go over how ability and proficiency bonuses work then trust them to get it. It's all d20 plus a number.
4) If you have to fudge DCs to keep it fun, do so. But don't make it so they cannot fail, that isn't any fun either.

Hope this helps.

JonBeowulf
2024-01-06, 06:27 PM
I've been running DnD and other rpgs for kids for many years now. Ages 8-9 is pretty young, but if they're smart kids four suggestions.

1) Don't infantilize the story, no "my little ponies" or anything like that, keep it fantasy adventure, not cartoon highjinks. Kids don't like being talked down to, and never think something is too gory for a kid, their tastes are actually quite disgusting. Oozing blood, popping eyes and farts are the funniest things.
2) Because they're so young, don't let them die. Not because death of characters is traumatic, it isn't (they die in their video games all the time), except for snowflakes who should not play this game anyway. It's because death of a dear character may turn them off the game when the idea is to recruit them as new players. If they hate their character, murder it and have them make a new one.
3) Resist the temptation to simplify the mechanics. 5e is already pretty streamlined. Go over how ability and proficiency bonuses work then trust them to get it. It's all d20 plus a number.
4) If you have to fudge DCs to keep it fun, do so. But don't make it so they cannot fail, that isn't any fun either.

Hope this helps.
I'd add...
5) No multiclassing.
6) Deliberately move the spotlight so not just the loudest kids are involved.
7) Keep the sessions under 4 hours unless they're really loving it.

Mastikator
2024-01-06, 07:46 PM
I've been in campaigns where kids are present as young as 7. So here's what I observed worked:

Lean HEAVILY into the narrative roleplay. They won't understand proficiency bonus but whacking someone with a sword or throwing an exploding ball of fire at zombies is entirely within their understanding. This is also something they're better at than adults
Help them with the mechanics, including the dice. Kids enjoy rolling dice and announcing the number, but somebody needs to help them with the final number.
Make characters for them, and if they want to make a clone from a movie or tv series this is the time to just let them. They wanna be captain america, make a fighter with unarmed fighting style and shield master. Being optimized isn't something kids will care about at all.
Avoid complex stories, no noir or detective stuff. This is the time to save the princess from the dragon. If you want to include mind scratchers have a sphinx pose a riddle, don't do any mundane mysteries.
Keep it light hearted, or they might get nightmares.

PangolinPie
2024-01-07, 01:37 PM
Avoid complex stories, no noir or detective stuff. This is the time to save the princess from the dragon. If you want to include mind scratchers have a sphinx pose a riddle, don't do any mundane mysteries.
Keep it light hearted, or they might get nightmares.

Yeah I’m going to be doing a setting and theme similar to early One Piece; whimsical and light hearted high seas adventure with just a touch of drama here and there and lots of fun island destinations with distinct thematics. Where they end up going will be randomized via a magic compass (each one takes a turn rolling a die to determine which way they go).

Going to start out on a single island with a more finite and short scope scenario and if they’re into it then I’ll expand further.