PDA

View Full Version : Naming a magic item

Skrum
2024-01-07, 05:08 PM
My character is getting the opportunity to craft his own weapon. Slight details might change, but the finished project is going to look something like this -
hand axe+1
+1d6 elemental damage per hit (probably lightning)
Twin crafted: this item comes a pair, using the same attunement slot. It allows no additional uses of activated abilities, but you can use the second weapon in your off hand for two weapon fighting
Certain Death: creatures hit by this weapon cannot heal until the beginning of your next turn

=================

Any suggestions?

Mastikator
2024-01-07, 05:17 PM
Electrocuting handaxes.
Dynamo duo.
Charged pair.
Twice struck lightning.

Skrum
2024-01-07, 05:58 PM
Looking for a more serious name - the character takes himself *very* seriously. He's a pretty intense, dangerous guy.

Mastikator
2024-01-07, 06:06 PM
Need more details of the character then. Stuff like a bit of backstory (important events and NPCs he knew), why he's crafting these handaxes, the they are certain death and lightning damage.

Because name them after that. Give them emotional weight.

Zhorn
2024-01-07, 08:02 PM
Crash & Peal (as in the sounds of a thunderstorm)

Gurgeh
2024-01-07, 10:00 PM
Crash & Peal (as in the sounds of a thunderstorm)
Pedantry compels me to point out that thunder-themed names would be a better match for sonic damage than electrical (is sonic damage a thing in 5e?), but you could definitely stick with this approach and call them "Bolt" and "Strike", say.

You could also give them a collective name which could replace or supplement individual names for the components; Stormcleavers, for instance.

Zhorn
2024-01-07, 10:18 PM
Pedantry compels me to point out that thunder-themed names would be a better match for sonic damage than electrical (is sonic damage a thing in 5e?), but you could definitely stick with this approach and call them "Bolt" and "Strike", say.
Sonic was changed to thunder; just adding to the list of terms people confuse with another (see lightning/thunder mistakes in play regularly).
Like the misconception of force and bludgeoning.
There's a point where you need to drop the pedantry as it just gets in the way of narrative flavour. Like if someone was firing a bolt from their crossbow for piercing damage, or went to strike the enemy with their mace for bludgeoning damage.

lall
2024-01-07, 11:04 PM
Tom. Short for Tom Ax of course.

rel
2024-01-07, 11:29 PM
To me the interesting points are:
- they are a matched pair of two weapons
- they prevent healing

slightly less interesting points of note:
- they are axes
- they deal elemental damage

So I'd pick a name that evokes those things.

Gemini Malfeasance
Lightning Torment Hatchets
Maiming Storm Reavers

etc

Arkhios
2024-01-08, 12:05 AM
Storm Talons

Unoriginal
2024-01-08, 05:31 AM
The Fight Enders.

Skrum
2024-01-08, 08:32 AM
The Fight Enders.

Ok this inspired in me the name Last Call. And since this character is a chef/culinarian, I find that to be incredibly fitting.

Zhorn
2024-01-08, 08:45 AM
Last Call ... since this character is a chef/culinarian, I find that to be incredibly fitting.
Then that is the best name. You picked, and you like, so 10/10 :smallsmile: