PDA

View Full Version : You just gained a level in real life: 2024 edition!

Troacctid
2024-01-07, 06:37 PM
A new year, a new level! (Cheers to the several people who contacted me asking when this year's post would be up—it's heartwarming to see this becoming a beloved annual tradition for so many!)

You can choose any class to gain a level in, and you gain the benefits of that level for yourself in real life. What would you choose?

Rules
Before posting, please consult the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F9_HAZgHMTlsurJUs96IzO2_VVq8rZmZaKpbjC3Y2YA/edit?usp=sharing) to double-check whether you have any other levels already! If you participated in this exercise in previous years, you keep the level(s) you had before, meaning you may now be as high as level 9! Those levels are all locked in as of now. However, if you didn't post in the thread that year, you did not level up.

Use 3.5e or Pathfinder, whichever you're most familiar with. 3.5e includes Dragon Magazine and official web enhancements. By popular demand, 3rd party material (for either edition) is allowed and counts as a separate, third category. If you're familiar with multiple editions, you can do all of them individually if you like, and have two or three different versions of your build, all of which will be the same level.

As part of gaining your first level, you gain your choice of the nonelite array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) or the standard array (11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10), arranged as you like. These scores control your "game" attributes such as spellcasting and skill points, and the associated modifiers will be layered over your real-life abilities to make you stronger or weaker in that stat, as appropriate.

Similarly, any skills and other abilities that you gain from your class levels will be layered on top of whatever you can already do. If you get a bonus to something, you will become that much better at that thing, and if you get a penalty, you'll become that much worse. For example, whatever languages you already speak would be your automatic languages, and if you gain a bonus language due to your Intelligence score, you can learn a new one. If you take the Murky-Eyed flaw in order to gain Endurance as a bonus feat, you'll be a better athlete, but you'll be wanting a new pair of eyeglasses.

As a human, you gain the normal benefits of being a human. In Pathfinder, that includes the ability score bonus, and you can choose variant traits if it suits you. In 3.5e, you can still get the +2 ability bonus to one score by trading away your bonus feat and skill points via the Complacent Human variant. Aging modifiers apply as normal.

The reason we're doing it one level at a time is because part of the fun of the exercise is seeing the gradual payoff of your choices and maybe even changing your mind about some of them and going in a new direction. It also makes it into a fun annual tradition as well.

Bonus points if you stat out a whole character sheet!

Previous threads
2023 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?652792-You-just-gained-a-level-in-real-life-2023-edition!)
2022 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?640962-You-just-gained-a-level-in-real-life-2022-edition!)
2021 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?624809-You-just-gained-a-level-in-real-life-2021-edition!)
2020 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?605712-You-just-gained-a-level-in-real-life-2020-edition!)
2019 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?577453-You-just-gained-a-level-in-real-life!-What-class-would-you-take)
2018 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?546315-You-just-gained-a-level-in-real-life!-What-class-would-you-take)
2017 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?510641-You-just-gained-a-level-in-real-life!-What-class-would-you-take)
2016 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476465-Every-year-starting-now-you-gain-a-level-IRL-What-is-your-build)

FAQ
Q: Do I model my abilities after my abilities IRL?
A: No. Arrange your ability scores however you like according to one of the arrays given above. You will then become stronger or weaker or smarter or dumber accordingly.

Q: Do magic abilities work? I mean, magic isn't real, right?
A: Yes, magic abilities work. Rumors that Earth is a dead magic zone have apparently been grossly exaggerated.

Q: Are other people in the world leveling up too?
A: Only the people who have posted in this thread.

Q: Will I be leveling up again in the future? If so, when?
A: Maybe you will and maybe you won't. I guess it depends on whether you post in the thread each year!

Q: Is retraining allowed?
A: Yes. Use the normal rules for it under your chosen system.

Q: What about rebuilding?
A: Pathfinder rules allow for rebuilds; 3.5e rules do not.

Q: Am I going to lose any of the skills and abilities I already have and replace them with game statistics?
A: No. The level you gain is layered on top of everything you can already do, and any modifiers apply to your existing skills as a baseline. You can think of it as a gestalt build if that helps, with your "real" stats on one side and your "game" stats on the other.

Q: Can we assume that reality operates under D&D rules? Like, if I put ranks in Diplomacy, can I now roll a DC whatever check to turn someone Helpful?
A: No. This is a case of "The map is not the territory." D&D rules are ultimately an abstraction for how things "actually" work in the game world. Real life still plays by real-life rules. More skill points and higher ability scores means you are better at whatever that number represents, but you aren't actually making skill checks, or taking immediate actions, or consulting a table to determine your carrying capacity based on your Strength score. Humans in the game all have a speed of 30 feet, but your actual speed will exhibit the normal amount of variance. In D&D 3.5e, drinking a vial of arsenic will deal you between 0 and 9 points of Constitution damage over the course of 1 minute, and then you're fine—but if you drink a vial of arsenic in real life, you die. And so on.

Q: How do gp costs work?
A: They use up money or material wealth at a reasonable exchange rate. Specifics aren't important; we're not here to do math. For those of you who do want to do the math, you can instead give yourself standard WBL for your level and use that as a budget for gp costs. And if you want to use something like Craft or Profession to generate income, see the previous answer about reality operating under D&D rules—no, you will not automatically earn half your Profession check in gold pieces for a week's work, because that's just an abstraction to smooth out gameplay, not an accurate reflection of the game world's economy.

Q: How do xp costs work?
A: You accumulate xp over time by literally accumulating experiences. Over the course of one year, you can earn xp equal to your level x 1000 at a fairly constant rate of about 20 xp per level per week, provided you spend time living your life and doing meaningful things. You do not gain xp in any other way. The amount of xp you can hold at a time is limited to your level x 1000. (This is based on the xp a character of your level could have in-game.) This is only used for xp costs, not for leveling up; to level up, xp total doesn't matter, you just post in the yearly thread and that's it.

Q: What counts as a meaningful life experience for earning xp?
A: As long as you're not in a coma, or mindlessly watching TV all day, or whatever, you can expect to get your xp. There is one exception: you cannot earn xp on any day that you spend xp. Activities like crafting will temporarily pause your xp gain until they are completed.

Q: I get that I have to be a human, but can I take a template?
A: Template classes are fair game as long as you have at least one real class level first. Use savage progression rules for them, even if the template class wouldn't normally work that way. Any template that can't be taken as a template class is probably going to be unavailable, unless you can somehow gain it via class features. For 3.5 characters, you can take UA bloodline levels as if they were a template class: taking 1 bloodline level unlocks the benefit of a minor bloodline, and subsequent bloodline levels upgrade it to the next category up.

Q: What about setting-specific material, or regional requirements?
A: Assume they are adapted to another, similar requirement that makes sense in our world. Specifics aren't important.

Q: What about inherited powers? Can I take Draconic Heritage even though I'm not descended from dragons?
A: Much like how you can take sorcerer levels without worrying about your ancestry, any sort of bloodline-related power works fine even if you don't actually have an ancestor who was a dragon, or a fey, or a member of a dragonmarked bloodline, etc. As in the game world, these effects are usually inherited but can also represent spontaneously gaining powers due to magical influences.

Q: Is 3.0 material available?
A: 3.0 psionics is unavailable, as the system for it is defunct. Most other unupdated 3.0 material is probably okay, but may not work as expected due to the changes inherent in the revision. Use it at your own risk.

Q: I have a question about how a particular rules interaction would work under this model.
A: You can ask in the thread, but here are two general rules of thumb. First, most things work the way they'd be expected to work in an actual fantasy world, so if one interpretation of a rule would conflict with established D&D canon if it were true, and another wouldn't, the latter one is probably correct. (This ties into that "The map is not the territory" principle from a previous answer.) Second, if you would normally have to consult with your DM about how it works, you can assume you don't know the answer as you make your decision—you'd have to try the interaction and find out for yourself. For the purpose of this exercise, I'll act as the referee for such things and adjudicate what would happen.

Q: If I take crafting feats, what items can I craft?
A: As long as you have the prerequisites, you can craft any existing, published magic item, or combinations thereof (at the appropriate price modifiers). You cannot invent a custom item unless you are a 3PP build. Items can be combined with one another according to the normal rules for your edition (in 3.5, see MIC p233), and you have some leeway as to their exact appearance (for example, a head slot item could be any headgear of your choice). For 3.5 builds, don't forget that you can give your crafting feats signature traits, per DMG2 p230!

Q: What about custom prestige race alterations?
A: Eh, sure, subject to the same limits on magic items. It has to be based on an existing magic item, and you'll pay 40% of the item's market price in xp. Just arrange them into a focus path of up to four alterations that are thematically cohesive with one another. You can have up to two such custom foci.

Q: If I take Leadership, how does my cohort work?
A: Much like in the game, a cohort has to be an existing character. So, for our purposes, you choose one of your real-life cohorts, and that person gains as many class levels as a cohort would have based on your level and leadership score, and levels up along with you as you post each year. It's up to the cohort to decide what levels to take; you don't decide for them. You can also designate followers according to your leadership score; only NPC class levels are available to followers. If you want to take Dragon Cohort but you don't have any dragon friends in real life (and you can't cast lesser dragon ally to call one), I will allow it to be applied to a reptilian pet, which then gains draconic powers.

Q: I'm an artificer. Can I cherry-pick the lowest-level version of every spell to make items more cheaply?
A: You can only draw from the spell lists of base classes and domains, or, for a psionic artificer, from the power lists of base classes, mantles, and disciplines. (Psionic artificers cannot convert spells to powers; that's an erudite ability only.) You can also draw from any spell list that is called out specifically in the spell's description (e.g. exalted spells, or spells exclusive to Initiate feats). Prestige class spell lists are not available (unless the prestige class is called out in the spell description, as seen with the assassin and blackguard spells in Spell Compendium). This applies to the artificer as well as the chameleon and other, similar abilities.

Q: Can I research spells?
A: Sure. If you're a wizard or erudite, this is probably how you'll be learning a lot of your spells. Use the rules in the DMG (or whatever the PF equivalent is). Tell me what you're trying to research and your rationale for why it should be possible for your class at the level you want it, and I'll adjudicate the result. You still pay the cost regardless of whether your research succeeds or fails. If the spell is on your class spell list at that level already—for example, if you're a wizard and you're researching an existing 1st-level wizard spell—you succeed automatically.

Q: How exactly does this world work? Is the timeline altered by our previous levels? Do we know about other players? Are we making decisions for ourselves, or are these benefits applied to parallel universe version of ourselves? Etc.
A: I think it's fine to envision it however you like, but I bet that parallel timeline idea would make for some cool fanfiction. If you'd like to share your idea of what the last year would have been like for the leveled-up version of you, please do! Heck, I've written some of my own fanfiction based on a similar premise.

bekeleven
2024-01-07, 06:54 PM
Going through the steps of leveling up:

1. Choose class: Warlock (4)

2. Base Attack Bonus: Up to +3.

3. Base Save Bonuses: Will Save to +4.

4. Ability Score(s): Int to 14.

5. Hit Points: To 12.

6. Skill Points: +5. 1 Rank in bluff and diplomacy (each), +2 Disguise, +1 UMD.

7/8. Feats, Spells: None.

9: Class features: Deceive Item, +1 Invocation Known (All-Seeing Eyes).

I'll go over my crafting in another post, there's a bunch of math involved.

Asmotherion
2024-01-07, 07:17 PM
I've been excited for this thread since New Years Eve XD

I'm taking one more Wizard Level! :D

And now, I can cast fireballs ^_^

El Dorado
2024-01-07, 07:28 PM
Wooo! Happy New Year! Adding One transmuter level to my wizard build and one telepath level to my psion build. Details to follow!

I imagine that I'm really leaning into the benefits of the transmutation school at this point. I've crafted a handful of defensive and utility items (some detailed below) and prepare mainly transmutation and abjuration spells. This level sees a boost to intelligence and gaining the spell-like ability to change shape for a few rounds per day.

Human Transmuter 8
Init +2; Senses Perception +8
DEFENSE
AC 16, touch 12, flat-footed 16 (+4 armor, +1 deflection, +1 natural armor)
hp 50
Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +7
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee club +3 (1d6)
Ranged none
Arcane School Spell-like Abilities (CL 8th; concentration +13)
At will---change shape (beast shape II/elemental body I, 8 rounds/day)
8/day—-telekinetic fist (1d4+5 bludgeoning)
Transmuter Spells Prepared (CL 8th; concentration +13)
4th--beast shape II, dimension door, elemental body I, stoneskin (b)
3rd--dispel magic, gaseous form, fly (b), haste, slow
2nd--alter self, bull's strength (b), make whole, protection from arrows, resist energy
1st--endure elements, enlarge person, jump, expeditious retreat, feather fall (b), mage armor, shield
0 (at will)--detect magic, mage hand, mending, prestidigitation
Opposition Schools: Enchantment, Necromancy

STATISTICS
Str 11, Dex 10, Con 14 (12), Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 9 (age-adjusted with gear)
Base Atk +4; CMB +4; CMD 15
Favored Class: wizard (+8 skill points)
Feats: Brew Potion, Combat Casting, Craft Wand (w), Craft Wondrous Item, Forge Ring, Scribe Scroll [b], Skill Focus (Spellcraft)
Skills: Diplomacy +7, Fly +11, Knowledge (arcana, *local) +16, Knowledge (geography, history, nature, planes) +10, Linguistics +16, Perception +8, Sense Motive +5, Spellcraft +20
Traits: Classically Schooled, Reactionary
Languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, Hindi, Japanese, Latin, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish
SQ arcane bond (weasel), physical enhancement +2
Gear: amulet of lesser age resistance and natural armor +1, ring of youthful appearance and protection +1, eyeglasses of vast intelligence +2* (as headband), pearl of power (1st), vest of resistance +1 (as cloak), potion of bull's strength, potion of mage armor

My telepath picks up a couple of 4th-level powers and at will telepathy up to 400 ft. I'm probably not creating as many items as my wizard (mainly a stat booster and a couple of emergency items).

Human Psion (Telepath) 8
Init +1; Senses Perception +8
DEFENSE
AC 17, touch 10, flat-footed 17 (+7 armor)
hp 35 (includes psionic body)
Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +7
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee club +3 (1d6-1)
Ranged none
Powers Known (CL 8th; concentration +14)
4th--fold space, mind control, psychic reformation, telekinetic maneuver
3rd--dispel psionics, energy bolt, psionic blast, telekinetic force
2nd--compelling voice, concussion blast, defy gravity, read thoughts
1st--empathic connection, inertial armor, mind link, slumber, vigor
0 (at will)--conceal thoughts, detect psionics, far hand, telepathic lash
Power Points per day: 88

STATISTICS
Str 9, Dex 10, Con 11, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 9 (age-adjusted with gear)
Base Atk +4; CMB +3; CMD 13
Feats: Craft Wand, Craft Wondrous Item, Psicrystal Affinity, Psionic Body, Psionic Talent, Scribe Scroll, Scribe Tattoo
Skills: Autohypnosis +11, Bluff +20 (with conceal thoughts), Diplomacy +10, Knowledge (*history, local, psionics) +16, Linguistics +6, Perception +11 (with psicrystal), Sense Motive +11, Spellcraft +16
Traits: Focused Mind, Reactionary
Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
SQ mental intrusion, psicrystal (meticulous), telepathy (400 ft)
Gear: cognizance crystal (5 pp), dorje of energy bolt, eyeglasses of vast intelligence +2* (as headband), power stone of fold space, tattoo of vigor (3rd), vest of resistance +1 (as cloak)

Crichton
2024-01-07, 10:49 PM
Another year, another level of StP Erudite. Level 4 powers now, so I'll likely be burning up xp for Psychic Reformation, choosing powers known and imprinting stones of them, then learning the powers off of them again after Psychic Reforming the choice away to learn new ones. Offering PsyRef services to Psions in exchange for learning their level 1-3 discipline powers, and to arcane casters for their spells, if I can track any of them down in the world (this series of threads) and make deals with them.

Human
STR 9, DEX 11, CON 12, INT 14, WIS 10, CHA 8 (INT increased by one at level 4)

Erudite 7
ACF: Convert Spell to Power
Level 1 Feat: Extend Power
Human Bonus Feat: Hidden Talent (Dimensional Pocket)
Level 3 Feat: Imprint Stone
Level 5 Bonus Feat: Craft Universal Item
Level 6 Feat: Craft Dorje

PP: 55 (46 base, 7 from Int, 2 from Hidden Talent)
UPPD: 4

Psicrystal:

HD 7
Str 1, Dex 15, Con -, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 11 (increased CHA by one at HD4)
HD 1 Feat: Hidden Talent (Dimension Hop)
HD 3 Feat: Draconic Aura: Vigor
HD 6 Feat: Draconic Aura: Toughness

Wildstag
2024-01-07, 11:25 PM
Damn lol, I thought Wild Shape was one of the retrainable class features in 3.5, but apparently you can only retrain class features that give you a choice between options internally (like animal companion, domain, or combat style).

I guess another level in Druid, bringing me to Barbarian 1 Druid 5. LEVEL 3 SPELLS! WOOOOO!

Level 6 Neutral Good Human Barbarian1/Shapeshift-Druid5

Ability Scores:

Strength 12
Dexterity 8
Constitution 10
Intelligence 9
Wisdom 14
Charisma 11

BAB and Saves:

Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+5

Saves: Fort +6, Ref +1, Will +6

Skills: Climb 5 ranks, Survival 7 ranks, Swim 4 ranks, Listen 4 ranks, Knowledge (Nature) 4 ranks, Spot 2 ranks, Profession (Wilderness Guide) 6 ranks

Spells: I would prepare Light, Mending, and Cure Minor Wounds on a regular basis. As a side note, Know Direction is hot garbage. For my 1st level spell, Endure Elements daily, Goodberry before an expedition, and either Produce Flame or Shillelagh (probably the latter) as a combat option.

0th: 1 Light, 2 Mending, 1 Cure Minor Wounds

1st: 1 Endure Elements, 2 Shillelagh, 1 Pass Without Trace

2nd: 1 Tern's Persistence, 1 Primal Hunter, 1 Finns to Feet

3rd: 1 Camel's Tenacity

Feats: Extra Rage, Reckless Rage, Wild Cohort, Mobility (B)(While in Shapeshift), Initiate of Fharlanghn

Flaw: Wild (Dragon 329)

Class Features: Fast Movement, Rage 3/day, Nature Sense (+2 Knowledge (Nature) and Survival), Wild Empathy, Shapeshift (Predator Form: Puma), Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, Resist Nature's Lure

Wild Cohort: Light Horse.

With Predator Form and Rage, I get 22 Strength. Pretty good for level 6 and the non-elite array.

As for my 3PP version, I'd take another level in Brawler.

Level 6 NG Human Feral Striker Turfer Brawler

Str 16, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 8

BAB: +6/+1

Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +2

Skills: Climb, Perception, Intimidate, Craft (Woodcarving), Knowledge (Local) + 6 each

Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Transformation, Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike), Transformation (Hybrid), Transformation (Improved)

Class Features: Brawler's Cunning, Feral Aspect, Martial Training, Unarmed Strike, Bonus Combat Feat (Weapon Focus), Brawler's Flurry (Two-Weapon Fighting), Favored Turf (Desert), AC Bonus +1, Terrain Mastery (Desert), Bonus Combat Feat (Outslug Style), Brawler's Strike (magic), Close Weapon Mastery

MinimanMidget
2024-01-08, 12:51 AM
Int goes up, which is nice. Still retraining my skills to try and get into Unseen Seer. And to that end, time for a Beguiler dip!

Human Psychic Rogue 1/Warlock 2/Beguiler 1
Str 9, Dex 12, Con 11, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Autohypnosis 4, Concentration 4, Hide 7, Listen 5, Move Silently 7, Search 7, Sense Motive 4, Spellcraft 4, Spot 7
Powers known: Compression (no PP to use it with, though)
Invocations: Darkness, Spiderwalk
Feats: Able Learner, Blend Into Shadows, Point Blank Shot

Side note: given some of the things that happened to me this year, suddenly acquiring 4 ranks of Sense Motive is either deeply appropriate or disturbingly ironic.

aglondier
2024-01-08, 04:46 AM
Happy New Year everyone...4th level wizard...Between Craft Wondrous Item and the Arcane Discovery of Arcane Builder focused on CWI, I manage to find the time to do quite a bit of magic item crafting. By the end of this year I have enchanted ten (10) Pearls of Power for 1st and 2nd level, so running out of spell slots is not something I really worry about much.

Alex
Race, Class, and Level: Human (Australian), Wizard (Arcane Crafter) 4
Size, Type, and Alignment: Medium, Humanoid (human), Neutral-ish
Init and Senses: Initiative +1; Perception +3.
AC: 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10.
hp: 18 (4d6 HD)
Saving Throws: Fortitude +1, Reflex +2, Willpower +5.
Speed: 30'.
Melee: dagger (+0 melee, 1d4-1 damage, 19-20/x2).
Ranged: dagger (+2 ranged, 1d4-1 damage, 10' range, 19-20/x2).
Spells Known/Spells Prepared:
Acid Splash; Arcane Mark; Bleed; Breeze; Chameleon Scales; Conjurer's Toolbelt; Dancing Lights; Daze; Detect Fiendish Presence; Detect Magic; Detect Poison; Disrupt Undead; Drench; Flare; Ghost Sound; Grasp; Haunted Fey Aspect; Jolt; Mage Hand; Mending; Message; Oath of Anonymity; Open/Close; Penumbra; Prestidigitation; Ray of Frost; Read Magic; Resistance; Root; Scoop; Scrivener's Chant; Sotto Voce; Spark; Touch of Fatigue; Vacuous Vessel;
Arcane Pocket; Celestial Healing; Crafter's Fortune; Snapdragon Fireworks; Unseen Servant.
Brightest Night; Skill Lore; Ward, Lesser; Abundant Ammunition; Blood Money; Comprehend Languages; Cultural Adaptation; Detect Metal; Endure Elements; Expeditious Retreat; Feather Fall; Hypnotism; Air Bubble; Magic Missile; Anticipate Peril; Heightened Awareness; Implant Urge; Longshot; Mage Armour; Magic Weapon; Secluded Grimoire; Sleep; Speak Local Language; Summon Monster I; True Skill; True Strike; Urban Grace; Magic Aura; Disguise Self.
Bear's Endurance; Bull's Strength; Cat's Grace; Eagle's Splendour; Fox's Cunning; Owl's Wisdom;
Spells Prepared: Conjurer's Toolbelt; Ghost Sound; Mending; Prestidigitation; Crafter's Fortune; Disguise Self; Unseen Servant.
Ability Scores: Strength 9, Dexterity 13, Constitution 11, Intelligence 18, Wisdom 12, Charisma 14.
Feats: Scribe Scroll, Skill Focus (spellcraft), Secret Capital, Craft Wondrous Item, Discovery: Arcane Builder
Traits: Duskwalker Agent; Focused Study; Innovative; Spark of Creation.
Skills: Craft (calligraphy) +11, Craft (gunsmith) +11, Fly +7, Knowledge (arcana) +12, Spellcraft +15.
Languages: Common, Celestial, Draconic, Sign-language.

Haven't replaced our cat yet, so I'm really considering taking Improved Familiar next chance and getting an Imp or something...

Future build notes: max advance in spellcraft and K(arc), splash extra points across knowledges and crafts, with an eye towards gunslinging at some point in the future. Spell picks for utility in real world and for crafting/enchanting.

Still doing the math on the Downtime buildings, but my town is really taking shape...

Jack_Simth
2024-01-08, 07:02 AM
Up to Oracle-9 - because spells rock.

thethird
2024-01-08, 08:10 AM
A new year, a new level! (Cheers to the several people who contacted me asking when this year's post would be up—it's heartwarming to see this becoming a beloved annual tradition for so many!)

Fun story, for a few days I was thinking that 8th level was going to be my maximum :)

Another year another artificer level, now I am getting access to six level spells. In particular what I want right now is Shalantha's delicate disk. Shalantha's delicate disk (from trap) + item infusion (from actual slots :( so sad the trap didn't work) gives me at this level means to create items that cast any spell up to 4th level, and can be activated by anyone. Adding the intermediary metamagic item (infusion from 3rd lvl slots) allows me to add a metamagic feat coff coff persist to the spell that would be cast into shallanta's disk. So I am going to be decked in a lot of ready to go spells. For more unusual metamagic there is always the psychic reformation tattoo.

The other spell in particular I want is gemjump, it basically replicates greater teleport to a gem. A gem that can be delivered via international shipping. Sounds way cheaper than plane flights. Going to be building some more bases in remote areas after getting them with gemjump and leaving homunculus there for safekeeping. Leaving a gemjump gem too, in case I need to go back to it.

Feat wise I am getting craft rod. Nothing particularly appealing I am doing with it (right now). I am also getting another feat (heroic spirit, getting used to those action points).

Let's do a recap of my character (originally was a psychic artificer, retrained, per PHB2, after getting a tattoo of psychic reformation, and a capacitator (i.e. psychic reformation works once a week))
Flaws: Individualist (penalties for using weapons/armor not self crafted), Honorable Challenge (penalties on attack rolls for attacking someone who didn't attack me)
lvl 1 feats: Mercantile Background (HB), Legendary Artisan (1st), Magical Artisan (Legendary Artisan) (Flaw), Apprentice (Craftsman) (Flaw), Scribe Scroll (AB)
lvl 2 feats: Brew Potion (AB)
lvl 3 feats: Craft Wondrous Item (AB), Extend Spell (3rd)
lvl 4 feats: Extraordinary Artisan (AB)
lvl 5 feats: Craft Magic Arms and Armor (AB)
lvl 6 feats: Craft Wand (AB), Reach Spell (6th)
lvl 8 feats: Persist Spell (AB)
lvl 9 feats: Craft Rod, Heroic Spirit (9th)

Also, note to self, build pf / 3pp version.

Jopustopin
2024-01-08, 10:18 AM
Jopustopin vanished without a trace at some point in May. By November he was assumed dead; a clause in his will required a full year before pronouncing him dead. He was last seen somewhere west of the Nile. His fans lamented him for months but soon other news took over and he was forgotten for a while. His critics pointed out that Jopustopin's obsession had taken him far from civilization and it was only a matter of time after all that he would get himself killed.

But then, as the clock struck midnight over Wandoor in the South Andaman district of India, party goers found a man, severely beaten and bloodied with torn clothing unconscious on the beach. He was eventually stabilized and brought back to the states where he shortly made a full recovery. However the media and paparazzi were disappointed as he has made no comment on his whereabouts these last seven months.

He returns an older man then before... and now with the fabled ''Grimoire Arcanamacha'' that has haunted his dreams for years. The DM must have granted Jopustopin bonus XP for surviving the Bay of Bengal because he comes back from India as a 6th level Warblade!

https://i.ibb.co/jkKpXqL/Jopustopin.png
Jopustopin

male middle aged human warblade 6
CN medium humanoid (human)
Init -8; Senses spot +1, listen +1
Languages Common, Ancient SuloiseAC 7 (-2 Dex, -1 Flaw), Touch 7, Flat-footed 7; Improved Uncanny Dodge
HP 39/39 (6d12-6)
Fort +6, Ref +0, Will +5 (Battle Clarity)Speed 30 ft.
Melee unarmed strike +5 (1d3-1/x2)
SQ Battle Ardor (Int to critical confirmation)
Base Atk +6; Grp +5Maneuvers and Stances Known (IL 6th):

Stances-Bolstering Voice, Punishing Stance
Strikes-Mountain Hammer, Iron Heart Surge, Insightful Strike
Boosts-Sudden Leap
Counters-Moment of Perfect Mind, Wall of blades
Abilities Str 9, Dex 7, Con 8, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 17
Skills Spellcraft +9, Concentration +8, Jump +7, Tumble +7, Swim, +3, Balance +3, Knowledge (History) +2, Knowledge (Local) +2, Knowledge (The Planes) +4, Martial Lore +2, Profession (Actor) +5, Craft (Alchemy) +5
Skill Points Spellcraft 6, Concentration 9, Jump 8, tumble 9, Swim 4, Balance 5, Knowledge (History) 1, Knowledge (Local) 1, Knowledge (The Planes) 1, Martial Lore 1, Profession (Actor) 2.0, Craft (Alchemy) 4
Feats Keeper of Forbidden Lore, Otherwordly Countenance (Beauty), Great Fortitude, Combat Casting, Iron Will, Improved Unarmed Strike
Flaws Unreactive, Vulnerable
Possessions Grimoire Arcanamacha, Net Worth ($6,000,400 USA)

2024-01-08, 11:42 AM
So I was wondering... When exactly do people gain the level? I plan to... "Become a wizard" during the second half of this year, but does that mean I should post my first wizard level now, or in the 2025 thread, or should I take the necromancer route and post during a seemingly random time after several months?

Troacctid
2024-01-08, 03:13 PM
Feats marked with * will be reformed away once I get to craft staff at 12th level. Now that I think about it... I don't remember if I tried this before, I think I didn't. @troactid I attempt to use an action point to reduce the imbuement time of an infusion. Mostly want to see if action points exist.

You don't have action points, but the Heroic Spirit feat could grant you some if you want them. Fair warning, though, if you have action points, it means you're a main character, or at least a series regular. Side effects may include plot. Depending on your life goals, that could be a good thing or a bad thing.

So I was wondering... When exactly do people gain the level? I plan to... "Become a wizard" during the second half of this year, but does that mean I should post my first wizard level now, or in the 2025 thread, or should I take the necromancer route and post during a seemingly random time after several months?
The level-up happens when the clock ticks over to the new year for your time zone on New Year's Day. I suppose if you normally mark the new year on a day other than January 1st, you could use that day instead, provided that you do so consistently each year.

thethird
2024-01-08, 04:24 PM
You don't have action points, but the Heroic Spirit feat could grant you some if you want them. Fair warning, though, if you have action points, it means you're a main character, or at least a series regular. Side effects may include plot. Depending on your life goals, that could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Going to be casting unfettered heroism (which gives temporary action points) to see if that works.

SirNibbles
2024-01-08, 04:43 PM
Hitting level 8 with another level of Tattooed Monk and picking up the Ocean Tattoo. The Crane Tattoo's effect is now increased to provide immunity to poison in addition to disease, and I no longer need to eat, drink, or sleep thanks to the Ocean Tattoo.

Human
STR: 10
DEX: 14
CON: 10
INT: 11
WIS: 12
CHA: 8

Mystic Ranger 4/Tattooed Monk 3/Archivist 1

Archivist 1
Level 1 Feat: Improved Unarmed Strike

_

Mystic Ranger 1/Archivist 1
ACF: Voice of the City (replaces Wild Empathy)
Granted Feat: Track
_

Mystic Ranger 2/Archivist 1
Favoured Enemy: Human
Level 3 Feat: Improved Grapple

_

Mystic Ranger 3/Archivist 1
Combat Style Feat: Two Weapon Fighting
DEX: 13 -> 14

_

Mystic Ranger 4/Archivist 1
Granted Feat: Endurance

_

Mystic Ranger 4/Tattooed Monk 1/Archivist 1
Crane Tattoo
Level 6 Feat: Nemesis (Favored Enemy: Human)

_

Mystic Ranger 4/Tattooed Monk 2/Archivist 1

_

Mystic Ranger 4/Tattooed Monk 3/Archivist 1
CON: 9-> 10
Ocean Tattoo

Troacctid
2024-01-08, 04:48 PM
Going to be casting unfettered heroism (which gives temporary action points) to see if that works.
You would probably know about the spell's casting restriction before you attempt this. Are you trying to circumvent it somehow, or is this just a test to see if the restriction is fake?

Telonius
2024-01-08, 04:50 PM
Level 9! All right, another level in Eldritch Disciple. Now sitting at: Cloistered Cleric 4/Warlock 1/Eldritch Disciple 4. [Sorry for the late update, site has been extra-slow recently...]

Okay! So, weird coincidences seem to have fallen off the radar this year. I'm taking that as a win. Persistent Spell: acquired, looking for Divine Metamagic in 3 years. UMD and Spellcraft continue to creep up. For casting, not too terribly much happening on the Warlock side. Eldritch Blast is up to 3d6, and Gift of the Divine Patron selected for Strength of Will. (Deity alignment is hurting me for options there). On the Cleric end, 4th-level spells! Some utility there for daily life; Discern Lies (just as my kid is entering teenager-hood) is going to be useful, and Divination for important decisions. Control Water might see some use too.

The weird coincidences continue. Last year I got access to Remove Blindness/Deafness. As of about three hours ago, my first cochlear implant was turned on. So, I'm halfway there (and still feeling really excited about it!)

This year, no surprise: Eldritch Disciple 3. Reflex save and BAB go up one, and a caster level of Divine and Invoking. I'm casting as a 6th-level Cleric and Invoking as a 4th-level Warlock. New Invocation, and time to get serious about my future. Now that Heal is up to 10 (for Healing Lorecall), and Knowledge (Religion) is about as high as I care for it to get, I'm splitting the precious few skill points between UMD and Spellcraft; and getting the Darkness invocation. (Yep, aiming for the Shadowmaster Epic feat way, way down the road; and hoping that the site still exists in some form in 13 years). Stat increase this level! Going to put it in Wisdom again (have to keep bumping it to get access to the higher-level Cleric spells). Speaking of, still sitting at 3rd-level Cleric spells for now.

Cloistered Cleric 4/Warlock 1/Eldritch Disciple 4

Str: 8
Dex 9
Con 10
Int 12
Wis 13->14 (lvl 4 stat bump)->15 (lvl 8 stat bump)
Cha 11

Human
Feats:
1: Extra Turning (fuel for later), Able Learner (I like skill points)
3: Augment Healing (less worrying about injuries)
6: Extend Spell
9: Persistent Spell

Deity: Olidammara. Domains: Trickery, Luck, Knowledge (from Cloistered)
Alignment: CN

Skills
Level 1: Know (Religion) 4, Know (Planes) 4, Heal 4, Bluff 4, Diplomacy 4, Decipher Script 4, Concentration 4, UMD 2, Balance 2
Level 2: Know (Religion) 5, Heal 5, Bluff 5, Diplomacy 5, Decipher Script 5, Concentration 5, Know (History) 2
Level 3: Know (Religion) 6, Heal 6, Bluff 6, Diplomacy 6, Concentration 6, UMD 3, Balance 3, Know (History) 3
Level 4: Know (Religion) 7, Heal 7, UMD 4, Know (History) 4
Level 5: Know (religion) 8, Heal 8, UMD 5, Know (History) 5, Diplomacy 7, Bluff 7, Sense Motive 2
Level 6: Know (Religion) 9, Heal 9, UMD 6, Balance 4
Level 7: Know (Religion) 10, Heal 10, UMD 7, Balance 5
Level 8: UMD 8, Spellcraft 3
Level 9: UMD 9, Spellcraft 6

Invocation: Beguiling Influence, Call of the Wild, Darkness.
Gift of the Divine Patron: Fearful Glare, Strength of Will.

Stoic
2024-01-08, 05:23 PM
Third-party Pathfinder

Another level of Wizard which brings it up to 5th Level.

Two corrections for the spreadsheet:

The link for my 2022 post should be:
https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25319842&postcount=13

The link for my 2023 post is currently linking to Kalkra's post instead, the correct link for 2023 should be:
https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25671862&postcount=21

thethird
2024-01-08, 05:31 PM
You would probably know about the spell's casting restriction before you attempt this. Are you trying to circumvent it somehow, or is this just a test to see if the restriction is fake?

Honestly forgot. Use psychic reformation to get a permanent action point and then cast unfettered heroism.

Troacctid
2024-01-08, 06:43 PM
Honestly forgot. Use psychic reformation to get a permanent action point and then cast unfettered heroism.
Didn't you just hit level 9? You shouldn't need to PsyRef; you can take Heroic Spirit as your feat for this level instead of Magical Artisan (which doesn't stack with itself, by the way).

Assuming you do, the spell works fine, although it does take a physical toll on you—you'll be paying for that brief sprint of energy all day.

thethird
2024-01-08, 06:56 PM
Didn't you just hit level 9? You shouldn't need to PsyRef; you can take Heroic Spirit as your feat for this level instead of Magical Artisan (which doesn't stack with itself, by the way).

Assuming you do, the spell works fine, although it does take a physical toll on you—you'll be paying for that brief sprint of energy all day.

Okay. Will get heroic spirit permanently and do trials over time trying to get used to the mc vibes.

Vizzerdrix
2024-01-09, 01:52 AM
Chameleon 3 please.

Karmea
2024-01-09, 09:13 AM
Sacred Exorcist for turn undead and DMM.

Also, lvl 5 spells~

Kalkra
2024-01-09, 10:48 AM
At this point there are probably people of a high enough level to do SS rituals on me (I think you need to be level 7?), but I'll just take another level of Wizard for now.

One more level of Wizard, and then I can enter Cerebremancer. Two levels of Cerebremancer and I can go into Mind Mage, assuming that I can somehow either receive training or acquire comprehensive texts. I'll burn that bridge when I come to it. For my 6th-level feat I'll take a psi-spell feat, one of the two I'll need for Mind Mage, maybe I've got a feat somewhere I can retrain but I don't feel like checking at the moment. Dual-Plane Summons would be nice, but it doesn't work if you're using Summon Monster as a power via StP Erudite, and all of the other psi-spell feats improve blasting, and if I'm doing any of that something is very wrong, so I'll just take Harden Energy and consider it a pure feat tax.

SirNibbles
2024-01-09, 11:48 AM
Hitting level 8 with another level of Tattooed Monk and picking up the Ocean Tattoo. The Crane Tattoo's effect is now increased to provide immunity to poison in addition to disease, and I no longer need to eat, drink, or sleep thanks to the Ocean Tattoo.

Neither effect is working for some reason. I still got sick last year and I still need to eat, drink, and sleep. Do I need to actually get the tattoos? I don't really want to do that.

(Also, even with the Nemesis feat I can't sense the presence of humans within 60 feet nor pinpoint their locations.)

MinimanMidget
2024-01-09, 05:45 PM
(Also, even with the Nemesis feat I can't sense the presence of humans within 60 feet nor pinpoint their locations.)

Nemesis is an Exalted feat, and you have to be Evil to have your own species as a favoured enemy.

SirNibbles
2024-01-09, 08:01 PM
Nemesis is an Exalted feat, and you have to be Evil to have your own species as a favoured enemy.

That was removed in 3.5.

Menzath
2024-01-10, 12:21 PM
Happy new year! With this year I will be taking another level of StP Erudite.
And just like last years me, I leave setting attributes, feats, and skills to next years me.

TalonOfAnathrax
2024-01-11, 06:05 AM
I'm glad to see that this is still going strong !

This year, I'll take a level in Dweomerkeeper. My Feat will be Least Dragonmark of Making (Make Whole 1/day) to open up Summon Marked Homonculus (I have Eschew Materials for the pinch of dragonshard dust). I'll put 2 skill points into Concentration, one into Diplomacy, and one into Spellcraft.

I'll edit this post later on with a full update of my character sheet.

EDIT:
Current: Sha'ir 3/Durthan 1/Cloistered Cleric 1 (Magic)/Dweomerkeeper 1
HP: 33 (rolled) Initiative: +7 BaB: +1 Melee: +0 Ranged: +2 Saves: Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +17
Stats: Str 8 (12), Dex 9 (13), Con 10 (14), Int 12 (16), Wis 11 (15), Cha 14 (18).
Skills: Bluff 0 ranks (+7), Concentration 9 ranks (+11), Diplomacy 9 ranks (+17), Knowledge (arcana) 8 (+11), Sense Motive 5 ranks (+12), Spellcraft 9 ranks (+12)
Feats: Silent Spell, Eschew Materials, Flaw (noncombatant), Improved Counterspell, Flaw (vulnerable), Iron Will, Craft Wondrous Item (DMG2 Signature Trait: Fashionable), Healing Devotion, Knowledge Devotion, Least Dragonmark of Making (Make Whole 1/day)
Special: Summon Gen Familiar, Recognize Genie Works, Place Magic, Lore (+4), Turn Undead 7/day, Mantle of Spells (Alter Fortune)
Spells known:
- Detect Magic, Daze, Ghost Sound, Launch Item, Light, Mending, Prestidigitation
- Disguise Self, Charm Person, Scholar's Touch, Summon Marked Homonculus, Unseen Servant
- Alter Self, Master's Touch (PBH II), Stay The Hand
Divine Spells prepared:
- Create Water, Guidance, Purify Food and Drink
- Endure Elements, Sanctuary, Magic Aura
Languages: Common, Terran. Familiar: Earth Gen.
Gear: Possum Pouch, Helpful Headband, Amazing Amulet, Glorious Glove, Outstanding Outfit, Belt of Magnificence (+4), Shawl of Bewitching (grants +5 to Bluff and +1 enchantment CL), Slippers of Spider Climbing (Spider Climb up to 10min a day). Fortifying Bedroll (once every 38 hours, get a night's sleep in one hour!).
Familiar's Gear: Spidersilk Pendant (casts Web 1/day at CL 3).

Personal item descriptions:
- Helpful Headband : +5 Sense Motive, +5 Spot against Disguises, CL 4 Hat of Disguise. Current item value is 13 950gp.
- Amazing Amulet : Amulet of Tears that also grants an untyped +2 Diplomacy and -2 Bluff, as well as a terrible 3/day sanctuary effect I won't ever be using. Current item value is 3 950gp.
- Glorious Glove (Bonded Item) : This +1 Morphing (can become a poison ring) Warning (+5 insight to Initiative) gauntlet bestows a +1 initiative bonus. It also senses any creature within 120 feet who intends harm to the possessor, mentally alerting her of the danger from an unfriendly creature. (It does not however give any other clue to the identity of the threat). Twice per day as a swift action, it also adds +2CL to a first-level arcane spell cast in the same turn. Current item market value is 21 750gp.
- Outstanding Outfit: Shiftweave + Lesser Vestments of Power. Can change shape, grants at-will feather fall whenever I fall 10ft, continuous protection from arrows with no total damage limit, fire resistance 15, +3 deflection to AC, +4 resistance bonus to saves. Current item market value is 88 750gp.

Below is a list of the items I plan to craft this year. I'm going with the 20 XP per level per week formula from previous years, but I'm only spending a little over half of the max amount I could get in case I fail to have a lively enough life to reach the optimal XP gain rate. This also lets me use all remaining XP to craft Fortifying Bedrolls and Everfull Basins for sale to fund my personal crafting and life. Other posters here seem to be increasingly indiscreet about their magic, so I'll say "**** it" and sell magic items to people willing to pay through the nose for them.
- I set my new Summoned Marked Homonculus to improving my Shiftweave. It'll take 89 days and be about as much XP as I can reasonably expect to obtain in a year.
- That's all my personal crafting for the year! Any remaining XP goes into Fortifying Bedrolls and Everfull Basins for sale, perhaps alongside Magic Bedrolls or Braziers of Aura Revealing (Magic) to governments.

- Levels 7, 8 and 9 are also Dweomerkeeper levels. Mantle of Spells choices are Alter Fortune, Celerity. Feat should be Leadership, picking someone I care about as my cohort as Troacctid has confirmed they'll level too when my Leadership cap goes up. At every level, raise Concentration, Diplomacy and Spellcraft by 1. Also spend a cross-class rank in Bluff.
- Levels 10 and 11 should be Incantatrix, to get optimal Mantle of Spells choices. Take Extend Spell as a bonus metamagic feat. I now no longer need Silent Spell and can retrain it into something like Great Diplomat for an extra cohort. Lose access to Evocation because losing Necromancy means losing Extract Gift and Steal Life, Enchantment is required for Mindbender later, and Illusion's versatility sounds useful during downtime. Take Intimidate now that it's a class skill (if only for easier Mindbender entry later). At every level take 1 rank in Concentration and Spellcraft, and 2 ranks in Intimidate.
- Levels 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 are Dweomerkeeper levels. The Supernatural Spells will be useful if/when I get 9ths and can replicate Body Outside Body, and in the meantime they allow me to ignore all those difficult XP and M/F components. Mantle of Spells choices are Greater Dispel Magic, Limited Wish, Polymorph any Object. Take the Divine Defiance feat and the Undead Leadership feat (taking a living cohort, requires Knowledge religion 1). At levels 12, 13, 15, 16 and 17, take 1 rank in Concentration, Diplomacy and Spellcraft, as well as a cross-class rank in Bluff. At level 14, take 1 rank in Concentration, Diplomacy, Knowledge (religion) and Spellcraft.
- Level 18 is Mindbender. Take Mindsight at 18. Take 1 rank in Bluff, 2 ranks in Diplomacy, and 1 rank in Spellcraft.
- Levels 19 and 20 are Incantatrix again. Get a bonus metamagic feat at 20 (Persistent Spell). At each level, take one cross-class rank in Diplomacy, and 1 rank in Concentration and Spellcraft.

Crafting Notes I used to determine costs
- According to the MIC, adding a specific magic item's effect to a preexisting specific magic together (except those on MICp234) costs **(full price of the added power) + (half of the price of the added power OR half of the price of the existing item, whichever is cheaper)**. This is the market price, so you'll be halving that number to craft the combined item, as normal. MIC rules for stacking additional properties require me to keep track of the combined item's value, just in case I want to further improve them in the future. To do so, **"use the base price of the most expensive item, and 1.5x the base price of all other items. Sum them all together and that's the final cost"**.
- Furthermore, table 6-11 on MICp234 does not include CL minimums to upgrade items. I'm waiting until I meet the CL of "normal" items providing these benefits.
- The above rules are for combining items. Improving items simply costs the price difference between the old and new version of the item.

Items I want to craft in future years :
- Everful Basin (4500gp on the market, requires create water)
- Sandals of Springing (MIC 131, 10 000gp) + Vanguard Treads (MIC 145, 3100gp) - BEAUTIFUL BOOTS.
- For relatives: craft a Possum Pouch (start with one each of these), then hand out Amulet of Tears + Spidersilk Pendants for safety
- Vestments of Power : I already have the Lesser (88k), but upgrading to Greater is CL9 and 200k
- Add Tunic of Steady Spellcasting to my Outstanding Outfit (2500gp on the market, +5 Concentration) - later with improved resistance bonus to saves and AC bonus, and with +Con and sonic/cold/electricity/acid resistance.
- Third Eye Improvisation (CL 5, 1k gp on the market)
- Amulet of Wordtwisting (MIC p71, requires CL 5 + Tongues, +2 Insight bonus to socials, 6k on the market)
- Quicksilver Boots (CL 5, 3500gp)
- Choker of Eloquence, Greater (CL 6, +10 competence to Diplomacy, Bluff and Perform (vocal), 6k gp on the market, specifically requires being a spellcaster of at least 6th level)
- Wand Bracelet (requires CL 6, shrink item, 12k gp on the market)
- Bracers of Arcane Freedom (CL 7, later with +8 AC)
- Necklace of Adaptation (CL 7)
- Belt of the Reinforced Form (CL 7, 5400gp) - probably too expensive because of Belt of Magnificence
- If I get Mnemonic Enhancer, what about the ravenloft Band of Spell Enhancement (CL 7, requires Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer, 10 080gp)
- Phylactery of Change
- Pearl of Speech (as a money-maker, translator - CL 7, 600gp on the market) / Replenishing Skin (1000gp, requires create water) / Magic Bedroll (500gp on the market, requires cure light wounds)
- Third Eye Sense (24k on the market, needs scrying)
- As soon as I get a cohort, activate a Companion Spirit ritual (Magical Storage, Chain Companion)
- stat boosts, energy resistance, resistance bonus to saves in shiftweave, etc (most come online at level 9)
- Belt of Hidden Pockets (CL 9, requires secret chest)
- Boots of Teleportation (CL 9, 49k on the market)
- War Wizard Cloak for familiar at CL 9 (16k gp on the market, lets familiar cast lesser ironguard + dimension door on me, and protection from arrows + sending for himself. He also gets continuous darkvision 60ft, endure elements (cold) and feather fall).
- Belt of Battle

Less urgent things that would be nice to fit into future levels if possible:
- Crystal Mask of Knowledge (MIC p91, 2500gp on the market, +5 Knowledge (arcana))
- Speaker's Trumpet (D339, p42, 3500gp, CL 3 + whispering wind, untyped +5 to Diplomacy)
- Ventriloquist's Mouthpiece (6k gp on the market)
- Brazier of Aura Revealing (Magic) is 1k on the market, with 3k for Evil.

I now have the awesome Place Magic feature, which works very well with the Sha'ir's massive spell list (all wizard spells, and no spellbook limitation). As long as I'm in Ireland, I should be able to get around the "must have seen a spell to retrieve it" limitation. This is when this build really begins to shine, with access to every wizard spell in the game without compromising on social skills! Here it is, as clarified on page 47 of Unapproachable East:
"Hathrans and durthans possess a special bond to the land of Rashemen that lets them draw upon the power of the spirits to cast spells without preparing them. When a hathran or durthan uses place magic, she can cast any arcane or divine spell known to her. (Spells on her hathran or durthan spell list can be cast as either arcane or divine spells, as she desires.) In effect, she can use any spell on any of her spell lists when she wishes, as long as she is within the borders of Rashemen. A place magic spell uses an unassigned spell slot of the appropriate type (arcane or divine) and level. If the caster does not have an open spell slot, she may spontaneously lose a prepared spell of the appropriate type and level to cast her place magic spell. Using place magic takes longer than casting a spell normally; any spell that takes 1 standard action to cast requires 1 full round to cast with place magic. Spells with casting times longer than 1 standard action simply add 1 round to the casting time."

Troacctid
2024-01-12, 12:03 AM
As for me, I'm now level 9!

It's probably time for me to take a detour out of Shaper of Form so that I can start prepping for Sublime Chord, huh? Let's hit the exit ramp. I'll take another level in Bardic Sage, putting me at Bardic Sage 6/Shaper of Form 3. I get a feat at this level, but unfortunately, my caster level isn't high enough to qualify for Countenance of the Mage, alas (it's a totally kickass feat), nor do I have the required Constitution score for Shape Soulmeld. The feat I had in my notes was Improved Familiar, but at this point I've had my familiar for six years and I like to think I've gotten to know it too well to want it to change! So instead, I'll be taking Eschew Materials, which is feeling increasingly necessary as I pick up more spells. I also get to replace my new Suggestion song with one of the musical feats from ECS (since I already traded away Fascinate for Healing Hymn), so I'll snag Music of Making as a bonus feat for a nice little crafting bonus.

Right now, my spell list is like so:
0. Ghost Sound, Minor Disguise, Prestidigitation, Mending, Songbird, Easy Math, Know Direction
1. Cure Light Wounds, Share Talents, Vigilant Slumber, Scholar's Touch, Unseen Servant
2. Alter Self, Locate Object, Eagle's Splendor, Heroism, Fox's Cunning
3. Enduring Scrutiny, Sculpt Sound, Speak with Animals + one new spell at this level

I'm not entirely sure what I want the new spell to be. I guess I don't have any proper figments yet, so maybe this is a good place to pick up Major Image. Let's go with that, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Skill points for this level are getting sunk into Sublime Chord prerequisites, and since I hit an even-numbered bard level, my bardic knack improves to +3, which certainly doesn't hurt! If I'm doing my math correctly, it's possible I did my math incorrectly last year, and I was supposed to go back to bard last level in order to get all the skill taxes. Oops. Well, that's alright, I guess. Instead of dipping into Ardent Dilettante in 2025 and then Sublime Chord in 2026, I can take two more levels of Bardic Sage and hit Sublime Chord in 2027—only slightly behind schedule, not the end of the world. Or, alternatively, I could go for the unconventional dip into Changeling Rogue...no, actually, you know what, better plan, I can get right back on track if I just take Open Minded as my feat for this level. Forget Eschew Materials. We're burning a feat on +5 skill points! Let's go!

(I might still take Changeling Rogue anyway. Having "an uncanny awareness of the tone of any social situation" sounds pretty handy. I could swap the sneak attack for a fighter bonus feat (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?565925-D-amp-D-Powers-in-the-real-world-Level-20-Fighter&p=23282413&viewfull=1#post23282413)...hmm...)

Kalkra
2024-01-12, 10:44 AM
The feat I had in my notes was Improved Familiar, but at this point I've had my familiar for six years and I like to think I've gotten to know it too well to want it to change!

Personally, the way I've always thought of it is that your familiar was an ordinary animal imbued/possessed by some sort of magical spirit, and changing familiars is just moving that magical spirit to another host, but that's kind of a houserule on my part. I say "kind of" because there's not a lot of explanation for familiars outside of the mechanical. But this is your thread and you can do what you want.

Llyarden
2024-01-12, 12:48 PM
Well, I'm a little late to the party here, but hey ho. Gonna be doing 3pp Pathfinder.

Let's start with being an incanter (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/incanter). Not going to bother with any specialisations, since I don't really plan on...well, specialising, so just more feats for me.

Now I don't know exactly what the rules for making sphere traditions are, but the other sphere-y folks from past years seem to have just made up their own, so I shall follow suit. Since I'm never going to expect to be in combat on account of, you know, it being the real world, I'll just cheese things to high heavens by taking Squid's card casting drawback (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/casting-traditions#toc10) and all its little extras, which I then just ignore by spending a minute to cast my talents. And while I'm thinking about it I'll swap my class skills out for a Spheres of Guile trade tradition (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/trade-traditions#toc3) (only at Competent level, but that's still plenty.)

For magic talents, I want the Veilweaving sphere (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/veilweaving), and in particular to shape the Goldhoard Vestments (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Goldhoard_Vestments) veil, because who needs to go through the hassle of selling things when you can just magic them into...well, I guess since the Goldhoard Vestments state they'd be 'ancient' coins (but still valid tender), I guess the IRL counterpart would mean that I'd end up with the old paper banknotes that are still technically valid but never introduced into circulation any more? Hmm, now that I say that I feel like that would lead to questions of money laundering. Maybe I should pick a different veil! :smallbiggrin: If I take the Limited Essence (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/veilweaving#toc62) drawback I won't have any Essence, but as long as none of my veils critically require it, that's not really a big deal. So in exchange I'll take the Veil Knowledge talent, which - since I don't have a (tradition) talent, gives me two more veils. I can only shape one per day and don't have any ability to change which one is shaped other than after a rest, so I can only practically use ones that I can know I'm going to need in advance - but at the same time, since there's no guarantee I'd have one at any given day, I also can't take one I'd absolutely rely on. That being the case, I'll take Hag's Shawl (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Hag%27s_Shawl) (which most of the time will probably be used to take Moldable Magics (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/witch-hexes), giving me a free talent that I can change each day if I know I'll need something unusual) and Envoy of the Lord (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Envoy_of_the_Lord) (because a bunch of ghosts doing the household chores for me when I don't have anything else to do with my veil sounds amazing.)

Well, leaving aside the minor risk of being kidnapped by criminals to be a walking money laundering machine, my other three talents will be Creation (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/creation), with Down to Earth and Limited Creation (no Alter) (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/casting-traditions#toc78) to enable me to pick up Exquisite Detail and Sustanence (all one talent), Warp (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/warp), with Bender (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/casting-traditions#toc216) and Extradimensional Storage (again, all one talent), Life (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/life#toc36) and finally Restore Health (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/life#toc36).

Over on the guile side of things, my competent trade tradition grants me two (trade) (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/vocation#toc18) talents and one base sphere. The base sphere will be Study (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/study), since it lets me make Knowledge checks untrained and that seems useful for dealing with all this wacky magic and stuff that's suddenly happened, while my trade talents will be Explorer and Technician. That means my class skills are Climb, Craft, Disable Device, Heal, Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (engineering), Knowledge (geography), Perception, Perform, Profession, Survival, Swim.

Now before I go any further, I should figure out what I'm doing with my race. Obviously I have to be human, but as far as I can see there's no restriction that 3pp stuff has to actually be freely accessible online, so at this point I will take a bit of a delve into some of my random 3pp books and take the alternate traits 'Monster-Mek Strength' and 'Battle Beast' in lieu of Skilled and Bonus Feat respectively. The former gives me Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat and doubles my carrying capacity (...and also means I have nanotech cyber-arms, so hopefully I never need to get a blood test done!), and the latter gives me an animal companion at full level. Is this somewhat overpowered? Well...yes. But I mean if this was my real life I would absolutely pick the most OP nonsense I could. Just be glad I'm not taking Super Genius Games' Gestalt and Magic-User feats. :smalltongue:

Now, as for feats, I still have two feats even if I traded out my human one, so I'll take Ritual Caster and Spell Dabbler (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/ritual-feats) to give myself some Vancian casting for random spells if needed, although I don't actually have any spells known yet. I'll fix that in a couple levels. Hopefully.

For skills...I don't think there's really an appropriate skill for 'software developer,' so sadly I'll still have to rely on my IRL skills for work, and I'll pick up Spellcraft, Disable Device, Knowledge (Engineering), Perception and Sense Motive. Having the Study Sphere gives me up to 5 ranks in one Knowledge skill of my choice (capped by my HD, of course), so I'll put those into Knowledge (Local). EDIT: I will then remember that I need Profession (Chef) in order for my magically-conjured food to actually taste good, and swap Perception out for that.

So, for my animal companion, I will get a dog...I guess it's going to be a puppy for a few years, but that's fine. To be specific, it will be a collie (courtesy of another 3pp book), which is identical to a normal dog animal companion except once I reach 4th druid level it gains the Fast Learner ability, reducing the DC to teach it tricks by 5, which will come in handy. And just to make things interesting, let's make it a Bestial Kineticist (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/bestial-kineticist). I'll pick Dex for the ability score to increase alongside Con. And as for its feat, it can get Basic Kinetic Training (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Basic_Kinetic_Training), so it can fix my phone for me when I inevitably drop it on the floor or something. Goodest of doggos.

Human incanter 1
ARTs: Monster-Mek Strength, Battle Beast

Str 8
Dex 9
Con 11 (+2 racial = 13)
Int 13
Wis 12
Cha 10

Incanter class features: Casting, Specialisations (none), Bonus Feat

Magic Talents (x4):
Creation
- Limited Creation (no Alter), Down to Earth
+ Sustanence, Exquisite Detail

Life
Restore Health

Veilweaving [Goldhoard's Vestments]
- Limited Binder
+ Veil Knowledge [Envoy of the Lord, Hag's Shawl]

Warp
- Bender
+ Extradimensional Storage

Casting Tradition (Int; SP 1 base + 1 tradition + 1 Int)
Card Casting [Five-Coloured Magic, Cooldown, Mana Pool] (counts as 5 drawbacks)

Skill Talents x3:
Study

Vocation [Explorer]
Technician

Feats:
Bonus from racial trait: Improved Unarmed Strike
1 - Ritual Caster
Incanter Bonus - Spell Dabbler

Skills (4 + 1 Int)
Disable Device 1 + 3 CS - 1 Dex = +3
Knowledge (Engineering) 1 + 3 CS + 1 Int = +5
Knowledge (Local) 1 + 1 Int = +2 [from Study Sphere]
Profession (Chef) 1 + 3 CS + 1 Wis = +5
Sense Motive 1 + 3 CS + 1 Wis = +5
Spellcraft 1 + 3 CS + 1 Int = +5
Collie bestial telekineticist

Str 13
Dex 17
Con 15
Int 2
Wis 12
Cha 6

Class Features (2nd-level kineticist): Elemental Focus (Aether), Gather Power, Basic Telekinesis, Telekinetic Blast, Wild Tricks, Wild Kineticism.

Special Qualities: Low-light Vision, Scent

Tricks (6+1):
Speak
Fetch
Deliver
Utility Talent (Telekinetic Finesse)
Attack
Attack All
Down

Feats:
Basic Kinetic Training (Machine)

Troacctid
2024-01-12, 02:41 PM
Personally, the way I've always thought of it is that your familiar was an ordinary animal imbued/possessed by some sort of magical spirit, and changing familiars is just moving that magical spirit to another host, but that's kind of a houserule on my part. I say "kind of" because there's not a lot of explanation for familiars outside of the mechanical. But this is your thread and you can do what you want.
It's like how Ash doesn't evolve his Pikachu. Do I need my cuddly kitty to ascend beyond the limitations of a mortal corporeal form to become a being of pure light? Questionable.

EndlessKng
2024-01-12, 06:08 PM
One more level of Investigator this year please!

Cruiser1
2024-01-12, 08:03 PM
I take a 3rd level of Cloistered Cleric, adding on to the 2nd level of CC (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25679232&postcount=47) taken last year. Welcome to 2nd level spells! :smallcool:

Troacctid
2024-01-13, 01:16 AM
Right, taking stock of my 3PP build, last year I took my 5th level of Sphere Wizard, and I picked up Craft Marvelous Item as my bonus feat, although I don't actually remember what talents I picked. But this year, I'm dipping back into Incanter for a second level, which gives me another talent and a bonus feat! The new talent is going to be Extradimensional Capacity, which will give me an extra 50 pounds per caster level of extradimensional storage. That's a lot. I figure I'm pretty good at moving furniture around at this point.

For my level 9 feat, I'm taking Second Bond to get a bonded item in addition to a familiar. As a Sphere Wizard, the bonded item lets me use talents I don't actually know, which is great, and I can do it twice a day for 1 minute each time. That'll give me a lot of flexibility, and save me from having to take a few talents that I might only have used on rare occasions, like Permanent Transformation. And for my incanter bonus feat, I'm taking Wondrous Wardrobe, which just seems like a fabulous IRL power to have. It'll let me conjure non-magical clothing and jewelry at will, with a permanent duration. Permanent! That's pretty sweet. I'll take a rank in Craft (Clothing) to go with it.

Firebug
2024-01-13, 04:01 PM
Adding a third level of Master Specialist to my 3.5 Conjurer Wizard!

1: Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 1: Immediate Magic (PH2) (Enchantment, Evocation Banned)
Str: 9, Dex 10, Con 11, Wis 8, Int 13+2, Cha 12
1st feat: Extend Spell, Human: Variant +2 Int;
Concentration 4, Spellcraft 4, Knowledge(Arcana) 4, Craft(Jewelry) 4
Spellbook 0th:All(except enchantment/evocation)
Spellbook 1st: Mage Armor, Comprehend Language, Fist of Stone, Shield, Unseen Servant, Endure Elements

2: Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 2
+1 Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge(Arcana), Craft(Jewelry)
Spellbook 1st: Low-light Vision, Disguise Self

3: Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 3
3rd feat: Craft Wondrous Item -> Retrained to -> Spell Focus(Conjuration)
+1 Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge(Arcana), Craft(Jewelry)
Spellbook 2nd: Cloud of Knives, Invisibility

4: Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 4
4th ability increase: +1 Int
+1 Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge(Arcana), Craft(Jewelry), Knowledge(The Planes)
Spellbook 2nd: Glitterdust, Cloud of Bewilderment

5: Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 5
Bonus feat: Craft Wand
+1 Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge(Arcana), Craft(Jewelry), Knowledge(The Planes)
Spellbook 3rd: Icelance, Haste

6: Master Specialist(Conjuration) 1 / Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 5
6th feat: Dimensional Reach
Bonus Feat: Skill Focus(Spellcraft)
Spellbook 3rd: Regal Procession, Shrink Item

7: Master Specialist(Conjuration) 2 /Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 5
Class Feature: Expanded Spellbook
Spellbook 4th: Stone Shape, Black Tentacles, Minor Creation
8: Master Specialist(Conjuration) 3 /Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 5
Class Feature: Greater Spell Focus
8th ability increase: +1 Int (to 17 Int)
Spellbook 4th: Column of Ice, Dispelling Screen

Coventry
2024-01-14, 02:51 AM
It is time to return to gaining levels in my main class: (Synthesist) Summoner. The fused eidolon gains wings and a fly speed this time around.

bekeleven
2024-01-14, 03:35 PM
All right, I did out my crafting XP calculations. After looking through all of the special materials, I concluded that the only one I could realistically access was starmetal, which is "made from meteoric iron." With that said here's my use of my 3k crafting XP:

3 +1 [Clean] Fast-Donning Muffling Silk armor - I'll have thee magic fancy suits.
2 +1 [Clean] Fast-Donning Muffling Soft Leather Armor - I'll have two magic leather jackets.
1 +1 [Clean] Fast-Donning Muffling Silk Swath Armor - I'll have one... whatever this thing is. For casual wear or something.
2 +1 [Clean] Starmetal Dagger - A self-defense knife and a kitchen knife capable of ignoring any ingredient's hardness (I hope).
13 +1 [Clean] Dagger - Spending the excess of my XP on products I can sell or give away.

Chaotic Neutral Human Warlock 4
8/11/9/14/10/12
Languages: English, Mandarin (Comprehend all written languages)

Attacks: BAB +3; Melee +3 (+1 Starmetal Dagger); Ranged +3 (Eldritch Blast 2D6); Grapple +2
Saves: Fort +0; Ref +1; Will +4

HP 12 (6+3D6-4). AC 14 (+4 Armor)

Feats: Murky Eyed (Flaw), Grudge Keeper (Flaw). Feats: Able Learner (1), Silver Tongue (Human), Noble Born (+Flaw), Slow Maturation (+Flaw), Craft Magical Arms and Armor [Trait:Clean] (3).
Class Features and Invocations: DR 1/Cold Iron, Eldritch Blast 2D6, Detect Magic, Beguiling Influence, Call of the Beast, All-Seeing Eyes.

Skills at this point: Bluff +14, Diplomacy +18, Disguise +4, Intimidate +13, Knowledge (Arcana) +3, Sense Motive +5, Spellcraft +3, Use Magic Device +2, Search +8, Spot +6.

2024-01-14, 09:01 PM
Alrighty I suppose I'll take my first level of wizard in this thread. If I'm gonna go Spellsword/Abjurant Champion later then it's not like I need multiple levels of fighter anyway.

While familiars and scrolls aren't the most exciting to me, I'll go for a taste of the classic generalist wizarding experience. But I will retrain Point-Blank Shot into Eschew Materials (It's a bit strange that EM doesn't require you to be a spellcaster yet, but I didn't use PBS a single time last year and EM will be nice quality of life to not need to constantly buy fleece and such)

I'll also put a point each into Concentration, Knowledge (Arcana), and Spellcraft. Standard wizard stuff.

I'd like my apparently free spellbook to contain Unseen Servant to handle chores, Disguise Self as a kindasorta first step towards the eventual Alter Self, Silent Image so I can pretend I'm good at art, and Scholar's Touch because what the heck why did I only just learn about this spell. There are lots of other cool classic spells, but alas I only get 4 so I'll pick these for their actual everyday utility. I wonder if I also get Amanuensis, Repair Minor Damage, or Stick (and if so, if my spellbook is necessarily filled with pages of other 0-level spells I don't care about lol)

Anyway with that, and copying the type of statblock I tend to see in adventure books, I think I'll look something like...

47948201: Female human Ftr1/Wiz1; CR ??; Medium-size humanoid (human); HD 1d10-1/1d4-1; Init +1; Spd 30 ft.; AC 11; Atk +0 melee (1d10/19-20/x2 crit, bastard sword), +2 ranged (2d6, gun); AL LN; SV Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +2; Str 8, Dex 12, Con 9, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 11

Skills and Feats: Concentration +0, Craft (Weaponsmithing) +2, Knowledge (Arcana) +4, Listen +2, Perform (Sing) +1, Perform (String Instruments) +2, Sense Motive +2, Spellcraft +4, Spot +2, Tumble +3; Able Learner, Eschew Materials, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms), Scribe Scroll
Possessions: Don't worry about it
Spells Prepared (3/2): 0- flare, ghost sound, prestidigitation; 1st-disguise self, silent image
Spellbook: 0-all 0-level wizard spells; 1st-disguise self, scholar's touch, silent image, unseen servant

I believe that's it? Oh yeah just for future reference I still know Draconic apparently. The statblock didn't ask for that.

Maat Mons
2024-01-15, 02:17 PM
Go ahead and give me +1 level in my current class for each of my selves. That's +1 level of Cloistered Cleric for my 3.5 self, and +1 Level of Oracle for my Pathfinder self.

The feat I had in my notes was Improved Familiar, but at this point I've had my familiar for six years and I like to think I've gotten to know it too well to want it to change!

This is why, for characters on which I plan to take Improved Familiar, I don't summon any familiar until after I take the feat.

TheHalfAasimar
2024-01-16, 09:46 AM
Well, I think I'm doing this right. I'm confused.
Well, since this is my first level gained, here I go:

13 INT (+1)
12 DEX (+1)
11 WIS (+0)
10 CON (+0)
9 STR (-1)
8 CHA (-1)

(My IRL wisdom is probably the 8)

Class: Wizard

(did I do it right?)

Spells:
3 0 level spells per day
2 1st level spells per day (I think, because of INT score)

Anyways, that's my lvl 1 wizard, from someone who has never played 3.5, but really wants to.

Troacctid
2024-01-16, 01:31 PM
Well, I think I'm doing this right. I'm confused.
Well, since this is my first level gained, here I go:

13 INT (+1)
12 DEX (+1)
11 WIS (+0)
10 CON (+0)
9 STR (-1)
8 CHA (-1)

(My IRL wisdom is probably the 8)

Class: Wizard

(did I do it right?)
You did! If you like, you can also pick out what spells you would give yourself.

bekeleven
2024-01-16, 03:15 PM
A wizard begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level wizard spells (except those from her prohibited school or schools, if any; see School Specialization, below) plus three 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the wizard has, the spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice. you can get four first-level spells!

I have a few questions about things that don't exist (to my knowledge) in our world. I've already taken levels in warlock, suggesting that there's an entity out there capable of giving me this type of power, and others in the thread are clerics. You've also mentioned dragon cohort. However, I'm curious about how (or, I guess, whether) some of the following function:

1) Gaining a magical creature as a familiar using something like Darkness Familiar, Planar Familiar, or just Improved Familiar.

2) Summon Monster spells.

3) (if you couldn't tell from my crafting) crafting materials or weapon templates that require other magical beings or alchemical processes.

4) I'm guessing I can't find the extant creatures to hang out with for the purposes of feats like Faerie Mysteries Initiate or Nymph's Kiss?

5) Prestige classes that call out gods. Can you take them? Does it depend on the specific entry requirements?

Troacctid
2024-01-16, 04:15 PM
you can get four first-level spells!

I have a few questions about things that don't exist (to my knowledge) in our world. I've already taken levels in warlock, suggesting that there's an entity out there capable of giving me this type of power, and others in the thread are clerics. You've also mentioned dragon cohort. However, I'm curious about how (or, I guess, whether) some of the following function:

1) Gaining a magical creature as a familiar using something like Darkness Familiar, Planar Familiar, or just Improved Familiar.

2) Summon Monster spells.

3) (if you couldn't tell from my crafting) crafting materials or weapon templates that require other magical beings or alchemical processes.

4) I'm guessing I can't find the extant creatures to hang out with for the purposes of feats like Faerie Mysteries Initiate or Nymph's Kiss?

5) Prestige classes that call out gods. Can you take them? Does it depend on the specific entry requirements?
1. You can use an existing creature, or you can have the ritual conjure one. There are examples of both in the lore, so I'll rule that both are canon.
2. They work like the rules say.
3. Alchemy is available to casters, as per the rules; any caster level is fine for this purpose. If you want the aid of a magical being, you'll have to find a magical being.
4. A sharp-eyed reader will note that neither of the feats you mentioned actually require the creature in question—only a partner with the same feat (and a regional requirement) for the former, and the ability to take exalted feats for the latter.
5. A call-out of a specific deity falls under the broader umbrella of setting-specific requirements. See the FAQ.

TheHalfAasimar
2024-01-16, 04:56 PM
You did! If you like, you can also pick out what spells you would give yourself.

Okay, and someone pointed out that I can have 4 instead of three 1st level spells, so here I go:
Comprehend Languages (I can barely read in languages other than my native language, English)
Magic Missile (good for offense)
Disguise Self (for stealth)
Guided Shot (too weak for big weapons, would probably fight with bows and stuff)

Anyways, those are my spells. Thanks! First time doing this.

Brackenlord
2024-01-17, 06:13 AM
*ding*
Another year, another step in the path of truenaming.

Truenamer 4

+1 INT
+1 autism diagnosis
-1 job
The burnout debuff has nearly expired.

thethird
2024-01-23, 05:21 AM

You fool, now that's all you've been thinking about for a week. Stupid third, you can't resist the desire to build convoluted things.

So yeah, I have mostly finished building a pf 3pp build. Going heavy into Radiant (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Radiant) (Lifebinder (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Lifebinder), Collectivist (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Collectivist)). Might do a writeup at some point before next year (or next year).

Awakeninfinity
2024-01-23, 09:57 AM
Awakeninfinity here; I think I'll take a level of Human Paragon to nab a bonus feat later; Current feat selection is Weapon Finesse and I will select the following ten skills as my class skills: Balance; Bluff; Diplomacy; Intimidate; Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty); Sense Motive; Speak Language; Survival; Tumble; Use Magic Device.

The skill I wish to select for Adaptive Learning is Use Magic Device.

I will spend my five ranks of skills as follows: 5 points in Sense Motive

Elrak
2024-01-26, 04:46 PM
I'll be taking another bloodline level. 2 more years and then I can start with some shenanigans xD

EDIT: I forgot to pick my feat - Persist Spell Metamagic

EDIT 2: AND I forgot my order of operation so The feat has to be heighten spell metamagic

Elvensilver
2024-01-26, 04:49 PM
And another level of bard for me!
Nothing too exciting as a bard level 5, but I'll definitively use my favored class bonus to get another 1. level spell known.

Kaladin
2024-01-30, 09:30 PM
Time to take a third level in wizard.

thethird
2024-01-31, 07:51 AM
You fool, now that's all you've been thinking about for a week. Stupid third, you can't resist the desire to build convoluted things.

So yeah, I have mostly finished building a pf 3pp build. Going heavy into Radiant (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Radiant) (Lifebinder (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Lifebinder), Collectivist (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Collectivist)). Might do a writeup at some point before next year (or next year).

So... there it goes.

PF 3pp build. Up to level 5, might come back later and upgrade it to level 10.

A level of Radiant (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Radiant) (Lifebinder (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Lifebinder), Collectivist (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Collectivist))

Using the alternative racial trait of multiskilled (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/alternate-racial-traits#toc26) to grab skill accuity with bluff (i.e. skill focus).

Stats: STR:9 DEX:10 CON: 11 INT: 12 WIS: 9 CHA 13+2

Traits: Finding your Kin, Apprentice Veilweaver

Trade tradition is: Socialite (a custom one)
- [vocation: trade] Con Artist (can use CHA for k. local)
- [vocation: trade] Gossip (can use CHA for sense motive)
Class skills are: Bluff, Disguise, Diplomacy, Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nobility), Knowledge (planes), Linguistics, and Sense Motive
- [subterfuge] Subterfuge sphere (with fashionista alternate start, gaining prestigious disguise)

Martial tradition is: Field Medic
- [equipment] Fast Draw
- [alchemy] Alchemy sphere, formulae: salve (alternative-brew, heal)
- [scout] Scout Sphere
- [scout] Great Senses

Casting tradition is: Gathering of cards (a custome one)
- [DW] Card Casting, Cooldown, Mana Pool, Gradual Ramp, Stagnant Pool, Focus Casting, Mental Focus, Somatic Casting
- [Boons] Bound Creature, Feat: Manifold Foci, Feat: Multi-Headed Play, Feat: Control Caster

Bonus talents (from casting tradition):
- War Sphere ([DW]: Squadron Elite, Small Unit Strategist, Commando; [Boons]: Damaging Momentum, Resilient Momentum, Squadron Commander(feat))
- Conjuration Sphere ([DW] Elongated Summoning, Material Weakness (cold iron), Object bound (rings); [Boons]: Greater Summoning, Capable companion, Extra Companion, Extra Companion)

Bonus talents (from radiant):
- Life Sphere ([DW]: Slow recovery, Limited restoration (cure); [Boons]: Restore capacity, revitalize)
- Divination Sphere ([DW]: Hidden Magic; [Boon] Prying eyes)

Feats:
- Linked Squadron, Homogenous companion (capable companion)

Skills: Bluff 1, Disguise 1, Diplomacy 1, Heal 1, Knowledge (local) 1, Knowledge (the planes) 1, Linguistics 1, Perception 1, and Sense Motive 1, Stealth 1

Biped (Martial Companion)
- Bonus form: Battle Creature
- Bonus form (from Martial Companion): Battle Creature
- Bonus form (from talent by summoner): Capable Companion

Trade Tradition: Engineer (custom)
- [vocation trade] Artisan
- [vocation trade] Technician
- [Artifice] Artifice (Fabrication Package) DW: Careful Engineer; Boon: Exquisite Equipment, Favorite Tools
Skills: Disable Device, Disguise, Heal, Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (engineering)*, Sleight of Hand, and Use Magic Device

Martial Tradition: Daring Scholar
- [Equipment] Staff Mastery
- [Alchemy] Alchemy Sphere: Universal Alcohol
- [Scout] Scout Sphere
- [Alchemy] Liquid Nice

Feats: traded for journeyman skill talent progression
Bonus feat: Basic Magic Training: Veilweaving Sphere (Chef's Armory)

Talents:
- [Artifice] Magical Crafter

Skills: Craft (Alchemy) 1, Craft (Metalworking) 1, Knowledge (engineering) 1

Orb (Mage Companion)
- Bonus form: Lingering Companion
- Bonus form (from Mage Companion): Magical Companion
- Bonus form (from Mage Companion): Implement Bearer (Warp)
- Bonus form (from Homogenous Companion): Capable Companion

Casting tradition is: Cards (a custome one)
- [DW] Card Casting, Cooldown, Mana Pool, Gradual Ramp, Stagnant Pool
- [Boons] Feat: Deckbound Companion, Feat: Card Shark, Essence Pool (1)

Feats: Extra Talent: Veilweaving Sphere (Blinkstep sandals) DW: Limited Essence Boon: Sphereshaper talent
Bonus Feat: Eternal Transformation (Human)

Skills: Perception, Stealth

Orb (Mage Companion)
- Bonus form (from Mage Companion): Implement Bearer (Protection)

- [Boons] Feat: Deckbound Companion, Feat: Card Shark, Essence Pool (1)

Feats: Extra Talent: Veilweaving Sphere (Aegis of the Valiant Guardian) DW: Limited Essence Boon: Sphereshaper talent

Orb (Mage Companion)
- Bonus form (from Mage Companion): Implement Bearer (Mind)

- [Boons] Feat: Deckbound Companion, Feat:Card Shark, Essence Pool (1)

Feats: Extra Talent: Veilweaving Sphere (Jewel of Mind's sight) DW: Limited Essence Boon: Sphereshaper talent

Some tricks at level 1:
Card casting:
Multi-headed play means all squadron (basically the summoned companion decks are combined), allowing for out of combat use of the companion's talents.
Deckbound companion (on the casting companions) means that I can use two of their effects (that cost spell points) without using cards.
Control caster means that all the companions have hoarded power, in effect they can use each others talents to create effects that cost spell points.
Character has Specialized Mana (planar alliance), and Wild Card deck talents, while the conjured companions have Wild Card x3.

Veilweaving sphere (sphereshaper veil):
The veilweaving sphere sets veilweaving level to level in classes granting casting, since the companion counts it's hd as mid caster this effectively means it has veilweaving level = HD.
The sphereshaper veils set the cl of the sphere effects derived of those veils as veilweaving level. So basically, CL of the chosen sphere = HD.
The sphereshaper veils are implements, and get combined with implement bearer (and thus get an enhancement bonus to that sphere).
The sphereshaper talent is basically a floating talent that can be changed as necessary.

[B]Squadron / Collective:[B]
The linked squadron feat equates the squadron and the collective. And makes collective members count as being close.

Level 2 gets me a vivifiation (effectively all casting companions get +1 to CHA, that improves their spell pool) and a talent.
Veilweaving sphere (The Resolute), (DW: Self Entitled, Limited Essence, Boon: Extra essence)
Skills: Bluff 2, Disguise 2, Diplomacy 2, Heal 2, Knowledge (local) 2, Knowledge (the planes) 2, Linguistics 2, Perception 2, and Sense Motive 2, Stealth 2

My companions don't get much changes other than the crafting one that gets two talents. The casting ones basically get a caster level on their associated sphere.

-[Artifice] Stupendous Crafter: Brew Stable Formulae
-[Alchemy] Elixir

Going to sell some alcohol

Instead of a feat I grab Adept Soul Forger (Vigilante). This gives me a second persona to do disguised stuff with. Also disguises my veils. Aaaand makes some other skills class skills. Since I can basically switch my vigilante persona easily I am going to be switching it in case I need to burn it. Layering the Obscurity (aegis), prestigious disguise, and vigilante identity with social skills should let me get to places. I am also healing people, I am a rather good healer, but I don't want people to link that to me.

My talent this level is shape additional veil (grabbing a psionic halo), that basically lets me get some floating psionic powers (up to 2nd level powers, due to investing two essence into it).

My companions are also growing on power.

-[Artifice] Confident Craftmanship, going to be crafting faster

They all grab their focused sphere (this basically allows them to use the full suit of the sphere's powers, without the limitations of the veil)

Another vivification, and being able to join unwilling people into the collective (I am choosing harming, obviously). But I am doing that more... for non nefarious purposes? Like getting people into the collective and healing them. Yes. I'm doing that.
For talents... I am grabbing the technomancy sphere, not wanting to charge my phone anymore. Taking Outmoded Encroachment (I basically want to power stuff). Gaining sprite sustenance, that would basically reduce charge expenditure (and thus increase the rate to charge).

Nothing really changes for the companions this level. Oh, I get a point to CON

This level has interesting things. It's the last level I am getting a free point to disguise and heal. Since disguise I want to keep leveling up, I am basically not supporting... diplomacy (hey, linguistics keeps giving me languages, and improving my forgery skills a good disguise needs forged documents).

I am also power leveling! Because I am getting a feat (close formation, squadron members aiding each other provide and additional +2) and a vigilante talent (which is... Increased Magical Capacity, it gives me an additional CL and gives me an additional magic talent)

Speaking of talents: I am grabbing eye of the cabal, for furthering my infiltration / being able to see what my summons are doing. I am also grabbing the mana sphere (DW: Incongruent, and Reset Duration as a bonus talent).

My summons are power leveled, as my CL increased by two so did their HD.

-[Artifice] Stupendous crafter: Craft Wondrous Item, let's goooo
-[Equipment] Craftsman (Craft jewelry)
-[Artifice] Underwater Basketweaving

Basically this has greatly expanded the crafting capacities of the crafter, now being able to create any craftable thingie, and getting craft wondrous items.

They all are geting shape additional veil (hag's shawl), it gives a hex, used to grab an akashic feat (which you probably gessed, sphereshaper talent). Next hd they will be able to bind two essence into the veil to get another akashic feat, and you gessed it, another sphereshaper talent.

Auerkan
2024-02-04, 10:51 AM
I havent appeared in the last years thread? Well thats a loss. And no notes on what I planned? Doubly unfortunate. Oh well. 3.5 edition without apocryphal sourcebooks.

Str 9 Dex 11 Con 12 Int 13 Wis 10 Cha 8. I feel like I will regret this allocation, but oh well.

LN Complacent Human Wizard 1, +2 Int.
ACF:
Combat Wizard. Trade away scroll-making for fighter feat, good.
Domain Wizard - Transmutation. I am not dropping any school of magic, so getting Domain is a freebie. I would quite prefer to make a custom one (I swear I`d keep it to some common theme) but lets stick to the rules.
Wilderness Companion - Riding Dog. Not vibing with a familiar and as non-specialist without dragonmag my options are quite tight. I get a dog of working breed which I can train slightly better(+1 trick and +4 on Handle Animal), and if it dies I can get a new one for free. Cool-io.

Following skills to 4 ranks: Decipher Script, Knowledge(Arcana), Knowledge(Religion), Spellcraft

Bonus Languages: Chinese, Japanese.

Flaws: Noncombatant, Vulnerable.

Feats: Able Learner, Collegiate Wizard, Extend Spell, Point Blank Shot. I will probably retrain them all later. And its honestly hilarious in a way, getting permanent benefit from CW to drop it later.

Spells known:
0: Acid Splash, Amanuensis, Arcane Mark, Caltrops, Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Disrupt Undead, Electric Jolt, Flare, Ghost Sound, Launch Bolt, Launch Item, Light, Mage Hand(*), Mending, Message, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Repair Minor Damage, Resistance, Silent Portal, Sonic Snap, Stick, Touch of Fatigue. 28 spells, 3 casts per day + 1 additional use of *
1: Cheat, Comprehend Languages, Disguise Self, Expeditious Retreat(*), Mage Armor, Masters Touch, Mount, Scholars Touch, Unseen Servant. 9 spells, 1 cast per day + 1 additional use of *

Gear: Spellbook(37/100), 75 gp

Sadly writing even a single new spell takes 100gp which is more than I have

Are we limited by 20 standard levels, or can we potentially accumulate 40+ of them?

The final build would be Wizard 1 / Human Paragon 3 / Wizard +1 / Pale Master 10 / Cleric 1 / Dweomerkeeper 4, for total of 20 levels. If I can level up further than that, Wyrm Wizard 2 to get any spell in the game

I can turn 3 creatures a day into my eternal undead minions, and got a supernatural spell a day. Besides that I grasp precisely 17 wizards casting levels for 9-level spells. So even if I dont want to necromance, I am a wizard which is not the worst outcome.

As soon as I can I go hunt for a giant squid which I death touch. Its the creature with most HD of real life - 12 base, doubled for Zombifying. Then I spellstitch it with Extract Gift and do the biggest Extracts I can manage onto myself and my allies.

When I get Paragon, drop some ranks into Handle Animal to teach my dog.

Spend most of my free WBL onto researching spells. As per DMG 198, researching a spell takes twice the cost of getting it cast for me by NPC. But of course, if possible I would rather get them for cheaper from other Playgrounders. With every level-up the spent gold recovers so its simply optimal to do so.

Get a Transducer-Capacitor linked psionic tattoo of Psy Reformation, meaning I can redo my last X levels of various choices every week. Keep it updated to my current level. Maybe get a Spellblade(Powerblade?) linked to PR and sell my services of complete redo for minimal cost.

Kalkra
2024-02-05, 10:55 AM
Are we limited by 20 standard levels, or can we potentially accumulate 40+ of them?

I believe we're limited to 20. Also, I believe that Dragon Mag is allowed even in an otherwise no-3rd-party build, and I don't think you get starting gear.

Lvl 2 Expert
2024-02-06, 01:15 AM
I've decided on my big move to rise above being a simple level 2 Expert. My answer is... a third level of Expert, but I've decided it's a Pathfinder build, variant multiclassed into alchemist. I now add my level to Craft (Alchemy) checks and can use it to identify potions. It's just like running a proper mass spectrometer.

Moohaha, fear my nearly respectable power!

Shalist
2024-02-07, 03:45 AM
Another year, another level of artificer (-> sorc1/artificer8). I'd like to dive a little deeper, but I've always got bunches of deadlines making it difficult to really shift gears around this time of year.

Rebel7284
2024-02-13, 12:37 AM
Third level of conjurer please!

Peelee
2024-02-14, 09:59 PM
I was watching this sub-forum for the first several days of the year waiting on this thread and then stuff happened and i forgot about it. Whoopsie!

Taking a level in Sorcerer, with the Force of Personality feat. One of these days I'll get around to working out the spell list and skill set.

TheHalfAasimar
2024-02-15, 03:21 PM
I was watching this sub-forum for the first several days of the year waiting on this thread and then stuff happened and i forgot about it. Whoopsie!

Taking a level in Sorcerer, with the Force of Personality feat. One of these days I'll get around to working out the spell list and skill set.

Well, it can't possibly be as hard as wizard, right? I mean, sorcerers don't get nearly as many spells as Wizards...

Peelee
2024-02-15, 07:39 PM
Well, it can't possibly be as hard as wizard, right? I mean, sorcerers don't get nearly as many spells as Wizards...

Which makes the choices all that much more vital.

TheHalfAasimar
2024-02-15, 07:54 PM
Which makes the choices all that much more vital.

That is a very good point. You get bonus spells from a good CHA score, right? Because I think you do.

Peelee
2024-02-15, 08:01 PM
That is a very good point. You get bonus spells from a good CHA score, right? Because I think you do.

Bonus spells per day.

TheHalfAasimar
2024-02-16, 05:31 PM
Bonus spells per day.

Oh. My bad.

NCat
2024-02-23, 05:54 AM
I had a couple questions before going into level 3 this year.

- 1. Last year it was noted that it was fair for any class to research spells, even if they werent a wizard. How would one rule a Sha'ir doing this? My assumption is that they'd use the wizard spell learning rules, in terms of time and cost, though with the spells being added to their learnt spells (as if they had spotted and spellcrafted the spell) rather than a spellbook

- 2. How much money would we have to research spells? Im assuming we'd have an amount equal to our wealth by level in gold?

- 3. Are we allowed adaptations? In a few years I'd like to take anima mage, but that usually has a non-good alignment restriction, though theres text in the adaptation section that notes you could play a non evil anima mage who has their vestiges give the power willingly

- 4. How are we handling alignment in general? I want to take nymphs kiss, and that requires you to be good. Are we just assuming that we'd act as appropriate to a self given alignment? Or are we handwaving it, so long as we dont make inherently possible alignment choices (I.e., a paladin taking assassin levels)

Thanks

Troacctid
2024-02-23, 11:57 AM
I had a couple questions before going into level 3 this year.

- 1. Last year it was noted that it was fair for any class to research spells, even if they werent a wizard. How would one rule a Sha'ir doing this? My assumption is that they'd use the wizard spell learning rules, in terms of time and cost, though with the spells being added to their learnt spells (as if they had spotted and spellcrafted the spell) rather than a spellbook

- 2. How much money would we have to research spells? Im assuming we'd have an amount equal to our wealth by level in gold?

- 3. Are we allowed adaptations? In a few years I'd like to take anima mage, but that usually has a non-good alignment restriction, though theres text in the adaptation section that notes you could play a non evil anima mage who has their vestiges give the power willingly

- 4. How are we handling alignment in general? I want to take nymphs kiss, and that requires you to be good. Are we just assuming that we'd act as appropriate to a self given alignment? Or are we handwaving it, so long as we dont make inherently possible alignment choices (I.e., a paladin taking assassin levels)

Thanks
1. It would take up one of your spells known.
2. The normal amount for spell research.
3. Case by case.
4. You have to walk the walk. Santa is always watching. 👀

Endarire
2024-02-23, 02:03 PM
Totally forgot about last year's thread. Shoulda been a Druid. +1 Druid level this year. Planar Shepherd next time.

NCat
2024-02-24, 01:32 AM
3. Case by case.

In which case, Could I get approval for the non-evil adaptation of the anima mage? Vestiges are cool and they're my friends <:

Troacctid
2024-02-24, 09:45 AM
In which case, Could I get approval for the non-evil adaptation of the anima mage? Vestiges are cool and they're my friends <:
Eh, okay, sure.

NCat
2024-03-13, 12:55 AM
Alright then! 2024! And its officially fact that I can be friends with the vestiges, thats a major cause for celebration :smallbiggrin:

I also wrote up what I was doing this year, and then lost the draft, oop. Oh well, from memory it is then

This year we hit level 3, getting a feat, and also getting our second level of Sha'ir

Alright, as a level 3 character (level 2 sha'ir), we get 4 skill points to spend

First one obviously goes to diplomacy, since we need that for casting

and with the last 3 we're free to allocate them wherever really, since we already meet the skill prereqs for our future prestige class.

Ill throw the three into sense motive. Generally useful, and also we get a synergy bonus (:

Next up is our feat. We could take Persistent spell early, but we cant really use it until we have a few levels of anima mage anyways, so instead we're taking [Domain] Animal Devotion. I think a once a day strength, speed, or flight boost is just fun

I was tempted at this level to take Nypmh's kiss, but I'm worried that, while I dont intent to do anything evil, I dont like the idea of how the exalted stuff tends to need you to be perfectly good, and exalted has pretty strict requirements. Though you can use attonement and stuff, for the feats, you specifically need the attonement spell, which is not accessible to me, nor is it anywhere near within level for me.

So yeah, no nymphs kiss.

As for new spells, all we get is an additional 0th level, we'll take ghost sound

Levels: Binder 1, Sha Ir 2

Str: 8
Dex: 9
Con: 11
Wis: 10
Int: 12
Cha: 13

Feats:
- Ignore Special Requirements
- Improved Binding
- Expel Vestige
- [Meta] Extend Spell
- [Domain] Animal Devotion

Character Traits:
Polite (+1 to diplomacy, -2 to intimidate)
Absent Minded (+1 to knowledge checks, -1 to spot and listen)

Flaws:
Methodical Magical Methods
Non-combatant

Skill Ranks: Diplomacy +6, Sense Motive +5, Bluff +3, Knowledge (The Planes) +4, Intimidate +4, Craft (Art) +2, Speak Language (Dutch), Speak Language (Portuguese).

Spells Known (Sha Ir):

0th Level

Dancing Lights
Ghost Sound
Mage Hand
Mending

1st Level

Disguise Self
Friendly Face
Unseen Servant

vasilidor
2024-03-14, 06:22 AM
+1 Level of Arcanist, Level 2 spells are now mine!

I have a really suboptimal build, maybe that is why I have so many problems in real life?
I need to rewrite my character sheet...

Pugwampy
2024-03-17, 03:51 PM
If i take the nymph kissed feat does that mean i just spawned an entire race of fairy folk or is it a useless feat because there are no fairies in real life ?

Troacctid
2024-03-17, 05:53 PM
If i take the nymph kissed feat does that mean i just spawned an entire race of fairy folk or is it a useless feat because there are no fairies in real life ?
The Nymph's Kiss feat works normally, so long as you maintain an exalted good alignment. You'll notice it does not in fact have a relationship with a fey in its prerequisite line.

Pugwampy
2024-03-18, 12:39 PM
The Nymph's Kiss feat works normally, so long as you maintain an exalted good alignment. You'll notice it does not in fact have a relationship with a fey in its prerequisite line.

More interested in being a progenitor of a race of fey than the feat itself .
I feel its reasonable to argue that willing the feat into existence has the consequence of making fairies .

Fuzzy McCoy
2024-03-20, 01:51 AM
I believe I have the skill points to grab the first level of unseen seer, so that is what I do.

Samael Morgenst
2024-03-20, 03:07 AM
Interesting game.
Let's see.

---

Race: human
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral.
Class/Level: Wizard 1 (specialist wizard, Enchanter)
Forbidden schools: conjuration, evocation.

Strength 9 Dexterity 8 Constitution 10 Intelligence 13 Wisdom 11 Charisma 12

Feats:

- Negotiator (+2 to Diplomacy and Sense Motive)
- Trustworthy (+2 to Diplomacy and Gather Information)
- Cultured Courtier (+2 bonus on Diplomacy, Sense Motive and Craft - alchemy)
- Theocrat (+2 bonus on Diplomacy and Knowledge - religion)

Flaws:

- Ponderous Spellcaster
- Methodical Magical Methods

Traits: Polite, Honest (+2 Diplomacy, -2 Intimidate and Bluff)

Class features: familiar (mink,+3 to Diplomacy)

Variant class features:

* Social Proficiency (Ex): Enchanters using this variant are as proficient at manipulating others through mundane means as they are at influencing their minds magically. Add the following skills to the character's list of wizard class skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, and Sense Motive. The enchanter also gains a +2 competence bonus on checks involving one of these skills (player's choice) every five levels (5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th). This bonus can only be applied once to each skill.
An enchanter using this variant does not gain bonus feats for advancing as a wizard.
(I choose a +2 on Diplomacy)

Spell known:
- lv 1: Friendly Face, Hypnotism, Drug Resistance, Extract Drug.

Skills:
- Diplomacy [4 ranks +1 Cha +8 feats +2 Social Proficency +3 mink familiar +2 traits] +20
- Gather Information [2 ranks +2 feats +1 Cha] +5
- Sense Motive [2 ranks +4 feats] +6
- Knowledge (religion) [1 rank +1 Int +2 feat] +4
- Knowledge (arcana) [3 ranks +1 Int] +4
- Spellcraft [2 ranks +1 Int] +3
- Craft (alchemy) [2 ranks +2 feats +1 Int] +7

The very first I would do now is to cast Extract Drug, make a dose of Sannish, take it...
and finally get rid of this lingering tooth pain.

MinimanMidget
2024-03-20, 06:46 PM
Social Proficiency doesn't give you +2 until level 5, you quoted it yourself. Other than that, Diplomancer wizard is a cool concept for IRL.

Samael Morgenst
2024-03-21, 12:51 AM
Doesn't the enchanter loses his first bonus feat (Scribe Scroll) for that +2?

vasilidor
2024-03-21, 01:41 AM
As I started this before Spheres of Power came out, and Pathfinder allows retraining, I retrain my alchemy and spell casting into sphere casting levels. I take the Sphere Investigator and Champion Investigator archetypes, these are compatible with Empiricist as far as I can tell. I also take the Sphere caster archetype for arcanist. My caster level is now a 6 and I have 4 talents and 2 flex talents from being a Sphere Arcanist and a martial tradition and 2 talents that can be caster or combat talents from being a champion investigator.
I take the dedicated duelist martial tradition with the Unarmored Training and the Fencing Sphere as my optional talents for the tradition. I then take the alchemy sphere(Formulae(Improved alchemist acid)) and the fast feint talents.
For my magic talents, I take the warp sphere, life sphere, destruction sphere and the protection sphere talents. I take the Witch Marked and Focus Casting drawbacks for the easy concentration boon.

MinimanMidget
2024-03-21, 01:44 AM
You don't lose Scribe Scroll, but even if you did, you wouldn't get a +2, because it says you get +2 at 5, 10, and so on.

Zhentarim
2024-04-03, 10:42 AM
I'm quitting teaching to become a psychotherapist, so I'm retraining my profession skills likewise.

This year, I'm buying a headband of mental superiority (+2 int, +2 cha, +2 wis)

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/a-b/book-blessed/
I am not quite ready to buy a blessed book to transfer my spells over to, but I may do so next year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Psychotherapist, LCSW // Zhentarim

LN (social identity)// NE (vigilante identity) Warlock Vigilante 5

Trait 1 (Social) -- Mentored (https://www.aonprd.com/TraitDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Mentored): +1 on Profession (Psychotherapist)
Trait 2 (Cosmic) -- The Wagon (https://www.aonprd.com/TraitDisplay.aspx?ItemName=The%20Wagon): Once per day, I may increase my movement speed by 10 feet for 1 round as a swift action.

13+2=15 INT (Dual-Talented Human Variant)

12 DEX

11+2= 13 CHA (Dual-Talented Human Variant)

10 CON

9+1= 10 WIS (Lvl 4 stat increase)

8 STR

Skills: cha+3+6 [additional +4 because of social grace] diplomacy (1d20+14), cha+3+6 bluff (1d20+10), wis+3+6 sense motive (1d20+9), int+0 [additional +2 because of Noble Scion feat] k(nobility) (1d20+4) (untrained), cha+3+5 disguise (1d20+9) int+3+5 Spellcraft (1d20+10), wis+5 [+10 because of Social Grace and Mentored (Social Trait)] P(Psychotherapist) (1d20+10)

Feats: 1=Noble Scion (scion of peace), 3=Noble Stipend, 5= Signature Skill [P: Psychotherapist]

Class Skills: Dual Identity, Spellcasting, Mystic Bolts [Acid], Seamless Guise, Unshakeable, Social Talents (1=Social Grace [P: Psychotherapist] and 5=Social Grace [Diplomacy], 3=Double Time, 5=In Vogue [P: Teacher]), Vigilante Talents (2=Tattoo Chamber, 6=Familiar)

Favored Class: Vigilante (+5 HP)

HP: 29/29

Spellbook (50 pages):

0-level spells

Page 1: Resistance (prepared)
Page 2: Acid Splash
Page 3: Detect Magic (prepared)
Page 4: Detect Poison
Page 5: Read Magic (prepared)
Page 6: Daze
Page 7: Dancing Lights
Page 8: Flare
Page 9: Light (Prepared)
Page 10: Ray of Frost
Page 11: Spark
Page 12: Ghost Sound
Page 13: Haunted Fey Aspect
Page 14: Bleed
Page 15: Disrupt Undead
Page 16: Touch of Fatigue
Page 17: Jolt
Page 18: Mage Hand
Page 19: Mending
Page 20: Message
Page 21: Open/Close
Page 22: Root
Page 23: Scrivener’s Chant
Page 24: Arcane Mark
Page 25: Prestidigitation

1st level spells

Page 26: Charm Person (Prepared)
Page 27: Expeditious Retreat
Page 28: Infernal Healing
Page 29: Protection from Good
Page 30: Protection from Chaos
Page 31: Protection from Evil
Page 32: Protection from Law
Page 33: Secluded Grimoire (Prepared) (Used immediately after spell preparation)
Page 34: Color Spray
Page 35: Comprehend Languages (Prepared)
Page 36: Cultural Adaptation (Prepared)
Page 37: Memory Lapse
Page 38: Floating Disk

2nd level Spells

Pages 39 and 40: Share Language
Pages 41 and 42: Dress Corpse (Prepared)
Pages 43 and 44: Create Treasure Map (Prepared)
Pages 45 and 46: Blood Transcription
Pages 47 and 48: Summon Cacodaemon (Prepared)
Pages 49 and 50: Unnatural Lust

-----------
Money Math:

Assuming I've done profession checks 5 days a week, 8 hours a day every level since level 1, using the profession checks I'd have at each level and taking 13 each check (as per the noble scion feat, which lets me take 13 any time I'd take 10 on a wisdom check):

Level 1: (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 1 rank + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 22 times 52 = 1144 gold, divided by 2 is 572 gold.

Level 2: (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 2 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 23 times 52 = 1196 gold, divided by 2 is 598 gold.

Level 3 (commentary): At this level, I could take 13 on 4 hours of work per day and then take 13 again on the other 4 hours. Double Time Social Talent reduces a work shift from 8 hours down to 4 hours. That said, I'll be working 3 shifts per day (12 hour days) to maximize cash flow. That's 60 hours a week doing a combination of working for others and moonlighting for my own business.

Level 3 (continued): (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 3 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 24 times 52 = 1248 gold plus (24 times 52 times 2 = 2496) = 3744 gold, divided by 2 is 1872 gold.
Level 4 (commentary)

Level 4: (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 4 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 25 times 52 = 1300 gold plus (25 times 52 times 2 = 2600) = 3900 gold, divided by 2 is 1950 gold.

Level 5 (commentary): Thanks to Signature Skill [P: Psychotherapist], I no longer need to divide my earnings by 2 when calculating weekly gold. In fact, with the In-Vogue Social Talent stacking with the feat, my earnings are now doubled instead of halved.

Level 5 (continued): (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 5 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 26 times 52 = 1352 gold plus (26 times 52 times 2 = 2704 gold) = 4056, multiplied by 2 is 8112 gold

8112+1950+1872+598+572= 13,104 gold that can be spent on whatever I want at level 5.

Also starting from year 3, I got 5200 gold per year from the Noble Stipend feat, but this pool of gold can only be spent on nonmaterial services or on the options presented in Cost of Living. 5200 times 4 (for levels 3, 4, 5, and 6) equals 20,800 gold. I will chose the "wealthy" cost of living option which is 100 gold per month for years 3, 4, 5, and 6. That subtracts 4,800. This means at level 6, I have 16,000 left in the noble stipend pool. This should theoretically free up money on the non-gold side of my compensation.

Level 6 (commentary): I suppose that in addition to the gold I get from my profession checks, I also get the wealth by level every level, minus whatever I've spent, plus my profession check earnings. So I'll add the 16,000 wealth by level to my total. At level 7, I'll subtract the 16,000 and add the level 7 WBL instead.

Level 6 (Continued): (10 wis (+0) + 3 class skill + 6 ranks + 4 social grace + 1 trait + 13) = 27 times 52 = 1404 gold plus (26 times 52 times 2 = 2808 gold) = 4212, multiplied by 2 is 8424 gold

8424+13104+16000= 37,528 gold to spend on whatever I want at level 6.

epos
2024-04-22, 02:49 AM
Ms. E.W

Complacent Human (+2 int)
NE
Patron Deity: Shar
Age 20

Strength 9 Dexterity 8 Constitution 10 Intelligence 15 Wisdom 11 Charisma 12
4 hp
+3 Init.
High Necromancer (Undead Apotheosis, Enhanced Undead, Immediate Magic: Cursed Glance)
Banned schools: Evocation, transmutation

Flaws: Ponderous Spellcaster, Noncombatant
Feats: Shadow Weave Magic, Improved Initiative, Scribe Scroll
Skills: 2+2x4=16 skill points

Knowledge (Arcana) +6
Spellcraft +6
Concentration +4
Profession (data entry) +4

Spells:

0th:

1st: Color Spray, Cause Fear, Charm Person, Black Bag, Sleep, Silent Image

JokingLuck
2024-04-27, 11:24 PM
Out of curiosity, are the UA Racial Paragon Classes allowed? I realize that, since the bounds of the exercise state that we are considered to stay humans, we can only use the Human Racial Paragon Class. But to be clear, since the UA Bloodline Classes are allowed, are the Paragon Classes similarly permitted? If so, that opens up a lot of ideas. Mind you, they'd mostly be ideas for taking the class later, like past level 3, but the 2/3 CL alongside a bonus feat is very helpful for Sorcerers (given that they kinda need feats, and they're already a level behind in casting), and can be very helpful to eliminate some of the dead levels before you reach the required prerequisites for prestige classes, and the later ability boost can be nice to get . If not, then I'd probably just have to go complacent human + Wilder, or maybe Bard + Complacent Human, but I'd rather leave my options open for Sorcerer + Human + Human Paragon.

Troacctid
2024-04-27, 11:52 PM
Out of curiosity, are the UA Racial Paragon Classes allowed? I realize that, since the bounds of the exercise state that we are considered to stay humans, we can only use the Human Racial Paragon Class. But to be clear, since the UA Bloodline Classes are allowed, are the Paragon Classes similarly permitted? If so, that opens up a lot of ideas. Mind you, they'd mostly be ideas for taking the class later, like past level 3, but the 2/3 CL alongside a bonus feat is very helpful for Sorcerers (given that they kinda need feats, and they're already a level behind in casting), and can be very helpful to eliminate some of the dead levels before you reach the required prerequisites for prestige classes, and the later ability boost can be nice to get . If not, then I'd probably just have to go complacent human + Wilder, or maybe Bard + Complacent Human, but I'd rather leave my options open for Sorcerer + Human + Human Paragon.
Human paragon is fair game!

Maat Mons
2024-04-28, 12:01 AM
What about Aberrant Paragon? Unlike all other paragon classes, it doesn't care what race you are.

JokingLuck
2024-04-28, 03:02 AM
Excellent to hear that Human Paragon is allowed, thank you for the clarification. In that case, as for my first level, I would build it like this:

Race: Human
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Class: Sorcerer 1
Alternate Class Feature: Blood of Eberron Replacement Level (lose familiar, has different class skills, gain an animal companion as a druid equal to half your sorcerer level) (From Dragon Magazine 351)

Strength 8 Dexterity 9 Constitution 10 Intelligence 12 Wisdom 11 Charisma 13

Feats:
1.) Axiomatic Bloodline
2.) Silent Spell
3.) Eschew Materials

Flaw:
1.) Noncombatent

Skills:
Spellcraft 4
Knowledge (Arcana) 4
Handle Animal 2
Concentration 2
Craft (food) 3
Diplomacy 1

Spells Known:
0th Level:
->Prestidigitation
->Daze
->Light
->Mending

1st Level:
->Detect Chaos
->Endure Elements
->Grease

Animal Companion: Wolf

Special Notes:
-> I am well aware that Blood of Siberys is significantly better because it gives you an effective +4 bonus to charisma for determining your bonus spell slots and your maximum spell level that you are able to cast (i.e., you can cast 7th level spells with charisma of 13). However, in a real life scenario, I'd prefer the class skills from Blood of Eberron instead. Plus, I can still (eventually) hit 19 charisma with a starting cha of 13, then the +2 from 3rd level of human racial paragon, and then subsequently investing 4 of the 5 ability score increases I would gain. This would safely put me within range of the needed charisma values when I actually need them (plus, for sorcerer's delayed casting, I only need 19 by level 19, which gives me plenty of time.
-> Axiomatic Bloodline is mostly for flavor (Eberron was lawful good, IIRC, so it fits), but also, an additional spell known of each level is pretty nice, especially since many of them are actually quite good! Plus, losing chaotic spells isn't exactly a backbreaking hurdle, so that's nice. Sure, dragon might be better, but honestly? I like it.
-> If I should have used Profession (Chef) instead of Craft (food), then I do apologize for that. Either way, both are class skills.
-> The metamagic feats are to both a.) prevent me from needing to carry a component pouch (granted, eschew materials doesn't explicitly ditch focuses, but since it's supposed to replace a component pouch which would include focuses, I'd argue RAI is that it covers focuses below 1gp as well) and b.) to prevent me from being loud about casting (the movements are cool and can be played up, whereas saying things just feels...obnoxious)
-> Cantrips are for Utility, 1st level spells are for fun (grease) and utility (Endure Elements = No More Heating and AC bills. Ever.)
-> Yes, sure, a wolf would be expensive to feed as an animal companion. But, it would also be pretty cool! And, more importantly, unlike dogs, at 6th sorcerer level, it becomes large with 4 Hit Dice, which means it becomes ridable! Seriously, that'd be so cool. Sure, RAW you'd have to teach it tricks, but hey, animal handling is a class skill for Blood of Eberron, so that's not as high of a hurdle.

JokingLuck
2024-04-28, 06:13 PM
I know I already made my selections for first level, and I don't plan to change it, but I did have a question. For the Domain Access L5 Alternate Class Feature for Sorcerers, would that be considered Divine Casting? I'm not thinking it would, but I figured I should ask just in case.

Troacctid
2024-04-28, 09:34 PM
What about Aberrant Paragon? Unlike all other paragon classes, it doesn't care what race you are.
Also fine.

I know I already made my selections for first level, and I don't plan to change it, but I did have a question. For the Domain Access L5 Alternate Class Feature for Sorcerers, would that be considered Divine Casting? I'm not thinking it would, but I figured I should ask just in case.
No, it's still arcane.