PDA

View Full Version : Spellcaster (caster class to end all other caster classes)

magic8BALL
2007-12-12, 10:28 PM
So, with one of the best wizard redux's I've seen floating about, I'm intending on graging all of the spells, powers, ivocations and all that sort of stuff and shove them together to make a single class for a 'low magic', shall we say, setting, were to cast any sort of magic at all, you will need to take levels in Spellcaster.

Spellcaster

Spellcasters cast spells. All spells. But no one caster has this power. They must choose what sort of spellcaster to be: a blaster, a healer, a buffer, a mix, whatever. Perhaps I will fill out the fluff later.

Hit Die: d4
Skills: 2+Int mod (x4 at 1st level)
Appraise, Concetrate, Knowledge (all, taken individually), Spellcraft.

(please excuse the lack of table, may get to it later)
BAB: poor
Saves: Will good

Class Abilities:
Spells: Spellcasters cast spells. Spells may be from any list, and include psionic powers that do not have an arcane or divine equivilent. Essentially, there is only one type of caster, and all magical effects are due to this class.

At the begining of each day, a spellcaster memorises spells from a spellbook. A spellcaster can memorise a number of spells equal to his Spellcaster level plus his Inteligence modifier. The process takes 5 minutes per spell level. To understand a spell, a spell caster must have an intelligence score of at least 10 + spell level, and have a Spellcaster level of at least twice the spell level.

During the day, a Spellcaster casts spells, expending magicka points from his pool of magicka. A Spellcaster has 3 x Spellcaster levels + Wisdom bonus (if any) magicka points at the start of the day. Magicka regenerates at a rate of one point per round per point of wisdom modifier, to a minimum of 1.

Spell
lvl Cost
0 - 3
1 - 4
2 - 6
3 - 8
4 - 12
5 - 16
6 - 24
7 - 32
8 - 48
9 - 64

If a spell allows a Save, the DC is determined from the Spellcasters Charisma.

DC = 10 + Spell level + Charisma bonus (if any).

Spellbook: A spellcater uses a spellbook to prepare spells. There is no cost involved in copying a spell from a source into the book (other than ink and time). Finding a source to copy from may be difficult, or involve an access charge. Large libraries in cities may charge an hourly fee to access public spellbooks.

Bonus Feats: At 1st level, a spellcaster may choose any item creation or metamagic feat he qualifies for as a bonus feat. He gains an extra bonus feat at 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter. (8th, 12th, 16th and 20th.)

So, good, bad, ugly? Is this great or should I just give up while I'm a head... or seemingly not ahead if I should give up.

raichi
2007-12-13, 09:01 AM
um is there any limitations to what they can cast at all like shadow magic, true name, or any class exclusives like wu jen or sorcerer?

AmberVael
2007-12-13, 09:24 AM
I like where this is going, but I wonder if it might be dependent on too many abilities... though I can see why you'd do it that way.
Still, there is already a problem with the ease of pumping save DCs and the like. I'll reserve complete judgment for now.

Jack Zander
2007-12-13, 11:40 AM
So when the magicka reaches 0 they cannot cast a spell until it regenerates?

I like it except this makes spell casters even more versatile. I still like the idea of healbots and blasters and I don't want my mages doing both at the same time.

RandomFellow
2007-12-13, 12:05 PM
My suggestion:
Require some kind of constraint on the spell-lists they can pick from. At level 1, they pick two lists(e.g. Sorc/Wiz and Druid), forbid three schools (or the equivalent such as Discipline for psionics).

Otherwise, people are likely to cherry-pick the 'best' spells from every list.

I'd also move Conjuration (Healing) to Necromancy (Healing) so you don't boost one of the top two spellcasting schools if people run Sorc/Wiz and Cleric (or Druid.

I'd also drop the Feats.

You've already given the Spellcaster the two things everyone drools over:
Spellcasting Power Regeneration
Access to multiple lists.

Kagan
2007-12-13, 12:57 PM
I like a system that encourages (forces) the use of lower level spells during high level play - it gets boring when non-casters sit and watch the torrent of 9th level spells destroy what otherwise could have been a challenging and interesting encounter.

That being said, I think giving casters even more feats might be a bit much - and healbots having access to all the 'save vs. lose' effects terrifies me.

magic8BALL
2007-12-14, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the responces.

So far there seems to be common thread: limit the role any one spellcaster can play in a party. I think this can be done by restricting the schools a spellcaster can cast from (as has been suggested). However, me being me, I don't like the 8 schools of magic plus other bits that core D&D uses.

Instead, I like to use a 5 school system, based heavily of the 8 school system for symplicity. I've listed it below, with the change of descriptors. Illusion and Abjuration are divided up according to descriptors (Wall of Fire is now an Evocation, Pryomancy spell, Light is now an Evocation, Animation Spell). Some spells will be different, Animate Objects will now be an Evocation, Animancy spell, for instance (to counter Animate Dead).

Divination
Conjuration - (as core, but not [Healing], addition of [Acid])
Evocation - (includes 6 subschools)
Transmutation
Enchantment - (all [Mind Effecting] Illusion here)

Evocation subschools:
Animancy - ([Healing], [Light])
Necromancy - (darkness)
Pryromancy - ([Fire])
Cyromancy - ([Cold])
Electromancy - ([Electric])
Sonomancy - ([Sonic])

Spellcasters will be allowed to cast from the Divination school, plus two other schools chosen at 1st level. Two vocation subschools count as a single school, and a spellcaster cannot choose opposing subschools.

Hows that?