PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Feat/Bladesinger Advice

solidork
2024-01-13, 01:20 PM
People who have played extensively with the Mobile feat, how much has the ability to ignore difficult terrain come up? I'm trying to think back on my own games, but for the last few years we've been playing two pretty low combat games so my memory is fuzzy.

I'm planning on playing an Orc Bladesinger (makes perfect sense for our world) starting at level 5 and I'm kinda excited about using the Adrenaline Rush bonus action dash with the associated ability from Mobile. I think it would be overall better to start with an intelligence half feat or Resilient: Constitution but I'm tempted to try something a little left of optimal for fun, so long as it turns out to actually be fun.

The rest of the party is shaping up to be a Barbarian, a melee Swords Bard and a melee Ranger. Having so many other melee combatants means that I wont be forced on the front line but also that I'll likely be able to hang out at a safe distance unless I want to put myself at risk.

Options I'm considering:
1. 16 Dex, 14 Con, 16 Int - Mobile, planning to take +2 Int at 8 and 12
2. 16 Dex, 14 Con, 17 Int - Int half feat, take another half feat at 8
3. 16 Dex, 14 Con, 17 Int - Resilient Con, take an Int half feat at 8
4. 16 Dex, 13 Con, 18 Int - Int half feat, planning to take Resilient: Con at 8 and then max Int

1. Interests me because I've never played with Mobile, and I get a lot out of imagining what ignoring difficult terrain looks like. Parkouring effortlessly through a crowded marketplace is just cool.
2. This will have the biggest power spike at 8 out of all the options.
3. This feels like the safest choice.
4. Strongest to start out with, but riskiest.

I could also just give up on having 16 Dex and not really plan on attacking much, but that seems like a waste. If I'm going to play a Bladesinger, I want to lean in.

Slipjig
2024-01-13, 01:46 PM
The Difficult Terrain bit of Mobile is almost 100% DM-dependent. Some DMs just don't include complicated environments for combat encounters. If that's not where their interests lie, that's fine, but it takes a lot of the shine off Mobility.

Also, do you play combat with a battlemap? If there's a clear reference to where everything is, the extra movement may be extremely useful. But if it's all TotM, it's much harder for both players to know when extra move is useful, and for DMs to adjudicate.

Snowbluff
2024-01-13, 02:35 PM
If you're worried about being a redundant melee, I will point out that bladesingers can use 1 handed ranged weapons. Bows and most crossbows are two handed, but throwing weapons and hand crossbows are an option.

Also about mobile, I guess it is a good question if ignoring difficult terrain is crucial, but really that is up to your DM and your enhanced movement speed already helps with that to begin with.

crayonshinchuck
2024-01-13, 04:50 PM
I play a Gnome Arcane Trickster with Mobile and Squat Nimbleness. The DM does use difficult terrain reasonably often (and several spells can also create areas of difficult terrain). However, the most common advantage for me is moving through other creatures spaces, which counts as difficult terrain. Both allies and enemies count as such. Of course as an orc, you won't be able to move through the space of large size enemies like my gnome, but only huge or gargantuan. Even with a dash, getting all the way through an enemy or a crowd of allies can be a challenge, unless you can ignore difficult terrain.

tKUUNK
2024-01-13, 07:02 PM
Even without the difficult terrain, Mobile can be fun. A free disengage is sweet when you want / need it. It opens up the Booming Blade kite strategy too, if that's your style.

Just pick whatever build suits your character's vibe the best and have a blast.

(Difficult terrain probably won't be super common BUT in a melee-focused party it would add flexibility to have at least one character who just ignores it....)

JackPhoenix
2024-01-13, 07:10 PM
Remember that you can make your own difficult terrain. Quite a lot of it, with the right spell: Erupting Earth may not have Fireball's damage or area, but 20' square of difficult terrain may come in handy when you can move through freely and your enemies can't. Sleet Storm has huge, 40' radius of difficult terrain, but watch out for slipping yourself when you move there. Storm Sphere is somewhere in between with 20' radius that punishes enemies if they get stuck in it, unfortunately both of the later require concentration.