PDA

View Full Version : Reporting accidental slurs?

Constant Chaos
2024-01-15, 12:44 AM
I'm Romany and many people are unaware that the term "{scrubbed}" and derivitive terms/phrases like "I was {scrubbed}" are racial slurs for our people as well as the travelers and sinti, rooted in extreme historical and modern hate, bigotry, and violence. I usually like to politely and calmly inform people that they have inadvertently used a racial slur/racially disparaging phrase due to the fact that many people are genuinely ignorant. I don't want peoples' first interaction with this knowledge to be negative since that can tarnish the knowledge and breed resentment towards using the proper phrases like Romani or Rom/Roma and that simply isn't as helpful long run. However, doing so would violate the forum rules about responding and not reporting as well as self censure rules as I normally use '{scrubbed}' and other such censored versions when I explain it to show that it shouldn't be said even for the purposes of explanation. I am new to the site, so I wanted to make sure before it had a chance to come up. Firstly, any clarification as to weather or not this/these would constitute violations would be greatly appreciated but if this would constitute a//multiple violation(s) I would also appreciate any consideration that might be had for the situation or at least something like a little disclaimer yall could add for if I do need to report someone for it. Since people tend to go about their lives without the knowledge that it's a problem and the fact that it's commonly used means that it's often quite embarrassing to learn this so we tend to feel a great deal of tact is called for, sorry if I ask too much.

Peelee
2024-01-15, 01:02 AM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Please do not tell others they cannot say that, as yes, that would be against the rules. Please do report any post using such phrases. Thank you!