PDA

View Full Version : Armor for Ruler: Suggestions?

Unoriginal
2024-01-16, 09:41 AM
Hello folks.

So I was thinking about a NPC, who's the ruler of an area that is fairly large, fairly rich and fairly well-connected to other places through trade and politics.

The situation I had in mind involves the ruler wearing their best armor. Considering the above situation, I think it makes sense they could have any armor that is below Legendary in term of rarity. The ruler is also proficient in all armors, has enough STR for full plate, has +0 as DEX mod, and would likely have a single attunement slot.

So what I'm asking is: taking into account the above points, which armor would you think it'd be interesting (be for mechanical or cool factors, or anything else) for them to have and wear?

Note: I'm asking specifically about armor. Other protective items (including shields) aren't the point here.

Amnestic
2024-01-16, 10:22 AM
Armour with a Story: Dragon Scale Mail (or plate). Either from a dragon the ruler killed himself (with help, obvs) or an inherited relic from the individual who started his lineage as ruler (by killing a dragon).

Armour that isn't Armour: Barrier Tattoo (Plate). It's mostly armour, and allows the ruler to walk around without clanking while still enjoying plate-level defenses.

Armour that's got a Weirder Story: Intelligent armour (possibly using the Living Armour from Eberron as a base). It's a sapient magical object, and the true ruler of the kingdom. The guy wearing it is just his (willing!) puppet who gets to enjoy being king, while the armour makes all the actual decisions. It's actually been ruling for multiple kings, with each subsequent 'ruler' either willingly submitting or being dominated by it.

Armour that is mostly Armour: Molten Bronze Skin (Theros). Same sorta deal as the barrier tattoo, but also when someone stabs him he gets the cool moment where his clothes are torn only to reveal the bronze skin beneath his clothes. Very dramatic!

Dr.Samurai
2024-01-16, 10:50 AM
There is a new armor in Book of Many Things that allows the wearer to summon a Knight spirit once per day. Could be an heirloom item that summons the spirit of an ancestor to fight alongside the monarch. It's called Armor of Knight's Fellowship.

GloatingSwine
2024-01-16, 11:23 AM
If he’s the ruler of a rich and well connected place then if he’s wearing armour it’s probably a context where it’s important that he be seen wearing it.

So it should be showy, filligree and decoration and make it catch the light and eye.

In fact, preternaturally so. Anyone attempting to attack the wearer has to pass a DC 10 CHA save or suffer the Dazzled condition for one round.

Aimeryan
2024-01-16, 11:30 AM
https://www.bladehq.com/imgs/shop-by-brand/titaner/Titaner-ti-ruler-leather-storage-sleeve-BHQ-78017-er-sheath.jpg
Armor for a ruler.

JonBeowulf
2024-01-16, 11:45 AM
Is he wearing it all the time or only for certain occasions? It makes sense for the stuff he wears outside to be different than what he wears when sitting in the big chair or sitting around the fancy table.

There is a new armor in Book of Many Things that allows the wearer to summon a Knight spirit once per day. Could be an heirloom item that summons the spirit of an ancestor to fight alongside the monarch. It's called Armor of Knight's Fellowship.
I like this. A lot.

https://www.bladehq.com/imgs/shop-by-brand/titaner/Titaner-ti-ruler-leather-storage-sleeve-BHQ-78017-er-sheath.jpg
Armor for a ruler.
Winner.

Catullus64
2024-01-16, 12:02 PM
Armor of the Sun

Armor (Plate), Very Rare, Requires Attunement by a Monarch.

This gleaming suit of gilded armor suggests not merely royal majesty, but solar divinity manifest in human form.

Properties:

The armor grants its wearer a +2 bonus to Armor Class, and a +1 bonus to all Saving Throws.

The wearer is perpetually under the effect of a Glibness spell.

The armor sheds bright light for 30 feet, and dim light for a further 30 feet.

As an action, the wearer can cause it to glow even more brilliantly with royal authority. Creatures within the radius of its light must make a DC 16 Constitution saving throw or suffer 3d8 Radiant damage and be blinded for 1 minute. A creature that succeeds on the save takes half as much damage and is not blinded. A friendly creature that uses its reaction to immediately fall prone in genuflection before the wearer is immune to this effect.

Mastikator
2024-01-16, 12:15 PM
Mithral plate +1 (from AI) seems like a nice luxury armor.

Plate Armor of Safeguarding increases maximum hit points (from BGG), useful for keeping the king alive.

Or just a +2 plate armor.

Slipjig
2024-01-16, 01:35 PM
Are we looking for everyday armor for court, or what he would wear on the battlefield? Or is this maybe a dress uniform he wears for parades?

For everyday wear, he probably want something that provides immunity to poison, or maybe has a built-in Contingency spell to Teleport him to safety I
If he takes damage.

On the battlefield, it'll depend on what he sees his role as. If he's personally leading the Heavy Cavalry charge, he'll want maximum protection, and maybe something that amplifies his voice. If he's going to be directing the flow of the battle from a position back with the archers, he'll probably still want the voice amplification, or possibly something that provides Message or Sending spells (so he needs fewer messengers).

For parade wear, I might go with one of the sillier common magic items, like Armor of Smoldering, or a Helm that has the enchantment from the Cape of Billowing so it's gigantic tassle is always blowing dramatically behind him. This armor doesn't need to be practical, it just needs to be FABULOUS and/or intimdating.

J-H
2024-01-16, 07:54 PM
I'd look at Adamantium armor. Blocking critical hits can be surprisingly life-saving.

LibraryOgre
2024-01-16, 08:01 PM
The best armor is Projected Image.

kingcheesepants
2024-01-16, 09:50 PM
Anti magic armor. From the new Book of Many Things. It gives advantage against a spell and lets the wearer activate an anti magic field. The king's castle and army and whatnot should be able to handle any conventional threats and a daily application of Mind Blank and turning the castle into a private sanctum will deal with magical spies and assassins teleporting in. But there are still so many weird magic effects not covered by those protections and so a good set of anti magic armor is a great way to keep safe.

Sorinth
2024-01-16, 10:11 PM
If you don't mind some homebrew, then a set of plate that basically reverse casts Warding Bond so that any damage dealt to the ruler can be half sent to a bodyguard would be interesting.

Otherwise anything that grants advantage or immunity to being charmed would be nice.

Oramac
2024-01-19, 09:44 AM
Not gonna lie. When I read the thread title, my first thought was "metric or imperial"? lol.

Anyway, I'd venture the question: why does it need to be real armor? Presumably the ruler has a King's Guard of some sort. Perhaps they wear the functional-but-muted armor and the Ruler wears shiny-but-useless armor.

If you really want real armor, I'd make sure it has a story behind it, even if it's not strictly "the best" armor. Perhaps a set of basic non-magical full plate belonged to his father's father and has been passed from ruler to ruler as a symbol. Or a treaty made with a druidic grove granted him a set of exquisite +3 leather armor, perhaps with some minor spells he can cast at-will. Maybe he's secretly a warlock and his patron has granted him a set of half-plate with eldritch runes inscribed on it.

Clause
2024-01-19, 11:47 AM
A armor with the powers of a 3.5 mantle of displacement . And too +3