PDA

View Full Version : ascetic rogue

Ketherus
2007-12-13, 05:15 AM
Does this feat let monk/rogue stack for sneak attack damage, unarmed damage, or both? The mini description says one, the feat description says the other, and there is no errata. Both would make sense to me as that is generally the way these feats work, stacking something from each class, but i wanted to see what you guys thought.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-13, 05:44 AM
They stack for the purpose of determining Unarmed Strike damage only.

The actual feat description is the primary source.

Kioran
2007-12-13, 05:54 AM
Hmmm - that makes the Feat a lot less useful. Okay, It would have been a pocket nuke otherwise - 10d6 SA damage for one Feat, but it would actually make the monk feasible with little optimization otherwise.
It´s broken, but so is Shock Trooper or Full Casting.

Person_Man
2007-12-13, 10:25 AM
It's a pretty useless feat. It slightly increases the Save DC for Stunning Fist when you also Sneak Attack, and it allows your Rogue and Monk levels to stack for Monk unarmed damage progression.

Crunch wise, is there something in particular that you're going for? Or are you just doing a Monk/Rogue for fluff value, and wanted to optimize the build?

Kioran
2007-12-13, 11:13 AM
If the Feat made Sneak Attack available to Monks, Rogue 1/Monk 19 would actually be a strong build, or Rogue 8/Monk 12 or what have you. Problem is not that this is overpowered in general, but overpowered for the cost of a Feat. Still, you´d need to forego the benefits of PrCs to fully utilise the advantage.
It might not be RAW, but making the Feat work for SA might be something I´d allow as a DM....if only because it makes people stick to the base classes a little longer. Otherwise, most of these Dual-class Feats are pretty worthless, except as sources for unarmed damage.

A Rogue 16/Monk 4 actually proftis from this, as he/she gets two powerful light weapons for the price of one Feat, can revert to real weapons if necessesary, had Imp-Evasion, Monk AC and a speed increase, as well as Bonus Feats, at an accepatble price (2d6 SA + one Rogue Special ability). Not too shabby......So instead of having a slightly overpowered/underpriced Feat, you have one that only helps the stronger of the two classes. Meh.

Ketherus
2007-12-13, 12:11 PM
Well, I am going for a proponderance of attacks with the best sneak attack I can get within the guidelines of the rather stiff Living Greyhawk rules. It's kind of a mental exercize. Thought I might throw some kind of combo like this in there somewhere, but its not cost effective.