PDA

View Full Version : Cleric or Bard multiclass

ChaosStar
2024-01-19, 05:06 AM
Hi everyone, it's been a while. I am making another character and wondering which multiclass would be good. Character is a Drow-based Hexblood Lunar Magic Sorcerer, probably Mage of High Sorcery background (adapted to Faerun), and I haven't rolled stats yet. My main considerations for the multiclass are between Twilight Cleric and Spirits Bard. If Twilight Cleric would probably go for a more Gishy playstyle and if Spirits Bard would probably do more Support/Healing focused.

RogueJK
2024-01-19, 10:06 AM
You'll need to decide which class you want to be your primary, and put nearly all of your levels in that. Sounds like that's likely Lunar Sorcerer.

If you're wanting to be a full spellcaster, then multiclassing into another class generally isn't a good idea, outside of a 1 level dip for some specific goal. Like a Wizard or Sorcerer dipping 1 level of Cleric for armor and shield proficiency plus some 1st level domain abilities.

So something like Twilight Cleric 1/Lunar Sorcerer X is a solid multiclass, resulting in a Lunar Sorcerer with basically full Sorcerer spellcasting but also boosted with armor/shield/weapon proficiency, enhanced darkvision, better Initiative, and access to some handy Cleric spells like Guidance, Bless, and Healing Word. All that is worth being 1 level behind in Sorcerer.

Flip it around, and Lunar Sorcerer 1/Twilight Cleric X is also potentially a decent option, to grab your Twilight Cleric some extra defensive spells like Shield/Absorb Elements/Silvery Barbs plus CON save proficiency for Concentration (if starting Sorcerer at Level 1).

But something like Cleric 5/Sorcerer X or Cleric 10/Sorcerer X just ends up putting you severely behind in higher level spells known and higher level abilities, which will hamstring your capabilities. You just end up with a bunch of lower level abilities and spells, while missing out on higher level abilities or spells.

As for Bard, I don't see any benefit to something like Spirit Bard 3/Lunar Sorcerer X. You get a little boost to some skills, some additional low level Bard spells, and a few Bardic Inspiration dice or Spirit Tales per long rest, but this comes at the cost of being 2 full spell levels behind in Sorcerer spells known. That's too steep of a cost for such a small payoff.

Even Bard 1/Lunar Sorcerer X doesn't make much sense either, since unlike Twilight Cleric you don't gain enough from 1 level of Bard to make up for being a level behind in Sorcerer.

And like already mentioned above under Cleric/Sorcerer, something like Bard 5/Sorcerer X or Bard 10/Sorcerer X just ends up with you being a poor Sorcerer and a poor Bard, so definitely isn't a good idea.

On the other hand, Lunar Sorcerer 1/Spirit Bard X could be worth considering, getting your Bard some much better CHA-based cantrip options, some addition 1st level Sorcerer spells known (like Shield/Absorb Elements), and CON saving throw proficiency to boost your Concentration.

So my recommendation is to figure out if you want to be primarily a Lunar Sorcerer, a Twilight Cleric, or a Spirit Bard, and from there consider a 1 level dip into another class, resulting in either Twilight Cleric 1/Lunar Sorcerer X, Lunar Sorcerer 1/Twilight Cleric X, or Lunar Sorcerer 1/Spirit Bard X.

Of the three, Twilight Cleric 1/Lunar Sorcerer X is most likely the strongest option.

(Maybe pick up a 2nd level of Twilight Cleric later on - after Sorcerer 6 or so - for Twilight Sanctuary, resulting in a Twilight Cleric 2/Lunar Sorcerer X.)

Clause
2024-01-20, 10:36 AM
Druid of stars, seems pretty good too for fluff and for power.

But if your question only lies about cleric or bard, the fluff of a twilight cleric is a bit of sublime with lunar sorcerer.

I dont see mutch a spirit bard can add to lunar magic.

ChaosStar
2024-01-20, 12:46 PM
Druid of stars, seems pretty good too for fluff and for power.

But if your question only lies about cleric or bard, the fluff of a twilight cleric is a bit of sublime with lunar sorcerer.

I don't see much a spirit bard can add to lunar magic.

With Spirits Bard I was thinking about flavor due to the character being a Hexblood, a being related to Hags, though I can understand the connection being weak. I am thinking more about flavor than mechanics. Twilight Cleric does fit flavorfully and mechanically. Also, I'm not reusing subclasses between characters, and I already have a Circle of Stars Druid.

Clause
2024-01-22, 04:57 PM
Now, i can see, the relation. but, in my eyes, twilght cleric give more rp attractiveness