PDA

View Full Version : Mutants & Masterminds 3.2 announced in new Valiant Adventures RPG quickstart rules

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-01-19, 09:18 AM
Well this has been long awaited for me and a lot of other M&M fans: a revised edition of the 3rd edition rules has been released in Green Ronin's new Valiant Adventures ruleset (https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/467646/valiant-adventures-rpg-quickstart-free-pdf) which of course will feature characters from Valiant comics. There doesn't seem to be a variety of changes, but instead looks like a few updates:

Advantage/Disadvantage from D&D 5e has arrived full circle in the form of Bonus (Advantage)/Penalty (Disadvantage) Dice. This already existed in M&M 3rd in the form of the 'Second Chance' advantage, but this rules update makes the feature more broad. Looks like a plus to me.
The Technology skill has been broken into three separate skills: Computers, Mechanics and Electronics.
The Vehicles skill is replaced with 'Driving' which limits the type of vehicle known to ground-based vehicles. That's kind of weird especially since I don't see a 'Pilot' skill.
A new skill 'Thievery' is added which seems to be a hybrid of Technology: Security + Sleight of Hand. But, Sleight of Hand also remains an available skill so another shrug there.
Athletics: Leaping looks broken in a bad way: leaping distance in meters x6 = check DC ??????
Intimidation and Persuasion have been buffed to operate almost like soft-form Mind Control when combined with the new Overwhelm action, which can be used on groups of Minion-level characters. Looks like Green Ronin decided to finally give Presence some value.
Damage resistance checks have been nerfed to DC10 + effect rank. I would have preferred the non-Damage DC being raised to 15. Automatically this looks like combat will take even longer to resolve (unless the GM hand-waves a conclusion)
The Concentrate action has returned from 2nd edition and should immediately impact mental powers: the majority of 2nd edition mental powers (Telepathy, ESP, Mind Control and others) had a duration of Concentration
Damage got nastier: succeeding on a Toughness check still brings a -1 penalty (Bruised or Injured depending on normal or lethal damage) to further Toughness checks and recovery time from certain conditions increased. That makes Impervious Toughness far more valuable especially with new Lethal damage rules that can bring a deadly Iron-Age grittiness to how combat works

Thoughts?

Lord Raziere
2024-01-19, 11:04 PM
sounds broadly good to me, though I'd love for them to make a power/flexibility divide like M&M QDe does, which solves a lot of the fundamental point-buy problems it has in my opinion.

Grod_The_Giant
2024-01-20, 12:20 PM
sounds broadly good to me, though I'd love for them to make a power/flexibility divide like M&M QDe does, which solves a lot of the fundamental point-buy problems it has in my opinion.
What's M&M QDe?

JNAProductions
2024-01-20, 12:22 PM
What's M&M QDe?

This hack of M&M. (https://www.trulyuniqueweb.com/unrealquests/mm/#ch-character-creation)

Grod_The_Giant
2024-01-20, 12:28 PM
This hack of M&M. (https://www.trulyuniqueweb.com/unrealquests/mm/#ch-character-creation)
Oh, is that QuillianDye's rewrite?