PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a newbie!

ShadowSandbag
2024-01-23, 09:13 PM
Hello, and welcome to the hobby!
There is a pinned thread in the Finding Players section of the forum which has a lot of information that should be helpful, I linked that below.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?257924-Guide-to-Play-by-Post-Games

But to answer some of your questions:
IC means "In Character" or the things that your character is saying/doing.
OOC means "Out of Character", or the things you as a player are doing.

Character Creation, Stats and Attributes will depend on which game you are playing, as will which books you will or won't need to buy.

Generally the Game Master or GM (sometimes DM for Dungeon Master) will tell you when to roll a dice to do something. It varies depending on the game, but generally you roll when something is difficult and has some chance of risk. So you won't need to roll to walk in a straight line along a path, but might have to roll if it was on a thin balance beam.

What you add to each dice roll will also depend on your character and stats. A really strong knight character will probably have a bigger bonus to when they attack then a child who has never used a sword for example.

And to your last question, if you go into the "Finding Players" section of the forum, there will be threads where people talk about the game they are planning to start and you can respond to them saying if you are interested.

Hope this is helpful!

King of Nowhere
2024-01-24, 09:31 AM
What is IC or OOC?

IC is in character, OOC is out of character. IC is what yiour character does, OOC is something you discuss with the other players.

How to roll die?

you pick up the die and throw it.
ok, i guess you mean in internet games. gaming platforms like roll20 have dice rolling functions.

How to create characters? What determine their stats/attributes?

depends on the specific game you play: d&d (with very different rules between different editions), pathfinder, other systems.

Is there any book I need to buy?

to start as a player, generally not. especially for d&d, you find all the relevant information on the internet anyway. in any case, you can hardly be expected to read a 300-pages book before starting a game; most common way to learn is to join a table and get explained by senior players

How to know when you are required to roll a die or not in role-play? I read the dungeon and dragon's guide and discovered sometimes you need to roll dies.
Besides during combat, how do you know when you are required to roll a die or not?

the dm calls for it. you describe what you are doing, and the dm may ask you to roll a dice and make some check to determine success or failure.

Another question, how do you know what to add to the attack? For instance, some posts I read add 2 or 3 or even 4 attack points to the dice roll. It is not consistent. Some players add 2, some 3, some 4. How do you know how to determine what points to add to your initial dice roll?

depends on the game. adding attack points is not d&d, i don't know to what game it refers. specific questions like those should be asked in a more specialized manner, specifying the game system

Also, which rpg systems do you recommend I check up? DnD or PF? Why? Do they offer pdf or epubs? Are they newbie friendly?

d&d 3.5 and pathfinder are mutually compatible, in that you can play one system while incorporating elements from the other. d&d 5 is a different system, and d&d 4 is an entirely different system again.
d&d 5 is the more user friendly, in that it's simpler. but i don't like it, exactly because it's simple - it constrains your options. you show a lot of enthusiasm, so I think you may like d&d 3.5, after you familiarize with it. it's more difficult to master, but very rewarding once you've done it.