PDA

View Full Version : Do I have set of of mechanical bonuses / penalties right for Goliath-Fighter-Sai?

animewatcha
2024-01-23, 02:21 AM
Let's go with Goliath Fighter 2+ with Exotic Weapon Prof Sai, combat expertise, and improved disarm. Am I getting these steps and things correct?

Under normal circumstances, a goliath can use a Large Sai without penalty via powerful build. Sai still counting as a Light weapon. So -4 to disarm attack roll due to light weapon. +4 to disarm attack roll due to Sai bonus. Canceling each other out. If I am reading this right, size category was changed a bit in 3.5 to be Size category of the Wielder versus 3.0 size category of weapon? So 'large via powerful build' Goliath gets a +4 to disarm via size category against a medium opponent?

Now let's go with 'Huge' Sai. If I am to understand weapon effort changes in size correctly and due to goliath 'large size', Huge sai would impost a minus 2 penalty to attack roll and change the Sai from being a light weapon to being a one-handed weapon. Normally a light weapon being would not benefit 'two-handed' offensively (but defensively would but not importantly ), however one-handed weapon can be used in a two-handed manner and benefit from such.

From what I can find, 'inappropriately sized' weapons do function a bit different. Namely can't use say a quarterstaff as double weapon in one hand or benefit from reach. However, disarming seems to be still a valid option. So can a Goliath two-hand a 'one-handed' Huge Sai and disarm with following bonus setup vs medium opponent??

BAB + STR - 2 (inappropriately sized weapon) + 4 ( Sai ) + 4 (two-handed ) + 4 (powerful build) + misc modifiers to disarm and attack rolls?