PDA

View Full Version : Empire! 8 - CWBG - OOC 1: Shmengus Shan, Used Horse Salesman

Minescratcher
2024-01-24, 09:08 PM
Since time immemorial, the Empire has reigned over the solar system known as Tekhum. Adjectives are unnecessary; there is only one Emperor, and all the worlds that orbit the sun Ophon lie within the Empire. So it has been for more than two hundred million years, if the Imperial Calendar is to be believed; the Empire’s roots run deep, and there is no polity which does not at least acknowledge its overlordship.

The announcement now being transmitted to every subject and vassal is all the weightier for the Empire’s deep history: the Emperor has re-established the Elect, a group of states provided with advanced spacecraft engines, and in effect declared the end of millenia of insularity and isolation. There have been no Elect for over two thousand years, since the chaos of the War of Eternal Bombardments nearly depopulated the Empire, but hundreds of ships now venture into the abyss between the planets, and more join their number every day.

For these elevated powers, the future holds nothing but opportunity for those who seek to grasp it. It is a time of resurgent trade, religious revival, and political consolidation on a scale unparalleled in recorded history. And although it may be dangerous to speak it, some nonetheless whisper that perhaps this era will even see the founding of a new…

EMPIRE!
A Community World-Building Game originally by Morph Bark
Previously run by Morph Bark, QuintonBeck, Zayuz, Aedilred, RolePGeek, Gengy, TheDarkDM, LapisCattis, Aerin

https://i.ibb.co/fSK6ppv/recruitment-banner-image.jpg (https://ibb.co/Db6cCCp)

Welcome to the Out-Of-Character (OOC) thread for Empire! 8! Please post your questions and especially proposed technologies and other new creations for the GMs here, as our inboxes can fill up quite quickly. Feel free to chat, discuss, or even arrange for collaborative IC events with other players here, but remember that everything in this thread is Out-Of-Character and will have no influence on events in the world. Our optional community discord server is also available here. (https://discord.gg/h7vYVySbaa)

For non-players: welcome! Empire! is a collaborative world-building game where you take on the role of the ruler of a region and their heirs and successors, perhaps turning your small starting realm into a Stellar Power or even an Empire, forming alliances, fighting wars and establishing colonies along the way. While the GM has some oversight and final approval, the setting’s content is controlled by the players. We are always accepting new players, though due to the size of the game there is currently a waitlist to replace players who drop from the game.

Empire relies on a number of threads to keep track of information and enable discussion between players. Links to these threads can be found below.

IC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?664110-Empire!-8-IC-Thread)
Dice-Rolling Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?663888-Empire!-8-Dice-Rolling-Thread)
Planets Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?663804-Empire!-8-The-Planets-of-Tekhum)
Rules (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FZZMAvXYWqZJNK2j5_lW2-xDi6s9lEJdMqq4shx1TOc/edit?usp=sharing)
Regional Tables (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18PNV6b40pRRUb9GDXFCG4zhJHabgeGOnWpOH2_uF8I0/edit?usp=sharing)
Organization Tables (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15T6yA_HRgOiqtkcR4q8hY4Aai4lU9IZhDFcoWXFGNBo/edit?usp=drivesdk)
Community Discord Server (https://discord.gg/h7vYVySbaa)

The GM Team
Head GM: Minescratcher
Organization GM: Silent_Interim
Tech Czar: Rolepgeek
Faction Tracker: Aerin

Battle Collator: TheDarkDM
Round Opener Helpers: BladeofObliviom - this could also be you!
Table Helpers: Aerin, Gengy, Volthawk - this could also be you!

DKArthas
2024-01-24, 09:23 PM
Hey, the Radiant Republic player here. I am starting on Sansar. Talk to me on discord or here if you are interested in working together for any reason!

DKArthas
2024-01-24, 09:31 PM
Hey, the Radiant Republic player here. I am starting on Sansar. Talk to me on discord or here if you are interested in working together for any reason!

I am also in need of [Fuel and Power].

Feathersnow
2024-01-24, 09:42 PM

I need food! Am willing to trade considerations. I have magic/Industrial machinery

DKArthas
2024-01-24, 09:57 PM
I need food! Am willing to trade considerations. I have magic/Industrial machinery

It's [Ores and Alloy/Magical items] as my nation resource but as I plan to go heavy on Mil-Eco and am on Sansar, I might be able to get TPs for food eventually. Will keep an eye for something like that for you!

farothel
2024-01-25, 01:44 PM
I have heavy machinery and need magical stuff.

Tentreto
2024-01-25, 02:23 PM
The Peludo will be very happy to meet you all and utterly misuse your traditions. So give us lots of paint and we give you shiny ore!

BladeofObliviom
2024-01-25, 02:29 PM
The Soom-Clan has shirked the lesser ambitions of petty clans and seeks dominion over the Red.

Dawsnow
2024-01-25, 06:09 PM
I'm looking forward to my first game of Empire! My region is Nadiratna on Veehra. I'll be making a few posts to be able to post links and images

Dawsnow
2024-01-25, 06:11 PM
Figuring out what I want to do t1 is a bit daunting but after rereading the rules I think I have a general idea of what I want to do

SerakHawk
2024-01-25, 06:12 PM
Empowerment of the self is the enlightenment of all.

The Jy'mar of Badal greet ye

Dawsnow
2024-01-25, 06:13 PM
I'm most easily reached on discord if you want to cooperate, but I'll also be periodically checking this thread and the in character thread as well

Dawsnow
2024-01-25, 06:21 PM
I have precious minerals/magic items and am in need of circuitry and conductors

ArdeneRitter
2024-01-25, 11:09 PM
Representative of The Bironaian Bulwark over on scenic, caustic Badal. I look forward to expanding our merchant guard stewardship to the rest of the stars.

DKArthas
2024-01-25, 11:38 PM
I'm looking forward to my first game of Empire! My region is Nadiratna on Veehra. I'll be making a few posts to be able to post links and images

It's my first game on this forum too! Looks like there are a good number of new players around in this.

DKArthas
2024-01-26, 12:06 AM
I am interested in getting Pseudogravity Engineering and Fusion reactors tech relatively soon. They are both gonna be important for both my tech research plans and for fluff reasons...

Elemental
2024-01-26, 12:21 AM
The Ishtahn are excited to meet new people. I'm sure that by working together we can create a better future for everyone.

Grim ranger
2024-01-27, 11:35 AM
United Houses of Senkar is looking for Fuel and Power category of resource, if anyone wants to cooperate from the get-go. We are pleasant place to get your healthcare and get started on the transhumanist journey you have always yearned for!

Volthawk
2024-01-27, 12:15 PM
I just went and updated my E7 turn template + public records for the changes in this version, and figured it might be useful for some people to use (after changing out the relevant bits for your stuff, of course) or modify to suit themselves or steal bits from to use in their already-done opener template or whatever.

Eilif Dhaoine
Round 1
Regions: The Reserve (25)
Faith: Anam Beathach (Unorganised)
Ruler: Clagath of Deargabh
Diplomacy 4 Military 5 Economy 4 Faith 4 Intrigue 5

Actions
End of Turn Ruler Increases:

Action [Type] - Roll TBD
Fluff
Action [Type] - Roll TBD
Fluff
Action [Type] - Roll TBD
Fluff
Action [Type] - Roll TBD
Fluff
Action [Type] - Roll TBD
Fluff

Nonactions

TBD

News and Rumours

TBD

Statistics

Special Actions Available: Military 5, Intrigue 5
Special Actions Used:

Heir Scorcha of Deargabh (Dynastic)
Diplomacy 3+1 Military 3+1 Economy 1+1 Faith 3+1 Intrigue 4+1

Diplomacy

Reputation/Favours
Imperial Court: Rep 0, 0 Favours (Expected Change: None)
Pan-Tekhum Worker's & Trader's Union: Rep 0, 0 Favours (Expected Change: None)
Basu-Rahman Group: Rep 0, 0 Favours (Expected Change: None)
International Renown: Renown 0

Organisation Bases
None

Embassies
None

Cultural Identities
None

Great Works
None

Military

Ground Units: 1 (Expected Change: )
Space Units: 0 (Expected Change: )
Unit Cap: 6 (Base 4 + 1 Region + 1 Support)

Aristocratic Support

Generals
None

Admirals
None

Fortresses
None

Perfected Tactical Doctrines
None

Military Technologies

Technology
Type
Effect
Requirements
Met?

[/tr]

Active Military Technologies:

Active Ground Front Techs:
Man-Portable Weapons
Infantry Equipment
Combat Drugs and Medicine
Armored Vehicles
Field Fortifications
Engineered Combat Organisms

Active Space Front Techs:
Detection and Rangefinding
Ship to Ship Weapons
Orbit to Ground Weapons
Crew and Maintenance
Armor and Shields
Spacecraft Propulsion

Active Cross-Front Techs:
Electronic Warfare and Countermeasures
Special Forces
Logistics and Morale

Economy

Treasure: 0 (Expected Change: )
Treasure Cap: 5

Trade Posts
Effective Total TPs 2
Treasure Rate 0

Trade Post
Resource
Use
Support
Rate

Chitincraft Wargear
None
Owned

Mercantile Support

Arcologies
None

Trade Routes
None
Civilian Technologies

Technology
Type
Effect
Requirements
Met?

In Vivo Modification
Starter
None
None
Yes

Wet Navy Ships
Traversal
Ground units can cross oceans
None
Yes

Faith

Media Support

Faith Size: 3
Organised Faith Bonuses
None

Artefacts
None

Holy Orders
None

Miracles
None

Intrigue

Espionage Agency: None

Claims

25 - Integration

Total Passive Effects

Traversal:
Wet Navy Ships: Ground units can cross bodies of water

Actions
None

Defensive
None

Misc
None

ArdeneRitter
2024-01-27, 11:16 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention earlier, the Bironaians require access to foodstuffs that aren't strange, floating gas creatures. Probably bad for nutrition that.

DKArthas
2024-01-28, 02:54 AM
Military Doctrine

Boot of Liberty: Victory in battle alone is not enough. The enemy must be overcome in such a fashion as to leave them awed and fearful, so that they may fully understand the folly of further resistance. Stories and tales of the fate of those who resisted most fiercely often find themselves spreading to the civilian leadership, sapping their desire to defy, least they meet the same fate. On a TM success, may attempt one Impress action in the region where the battle takes place, as a subaction of the battle.

War is Conviction: The most important element during battle is not equipment or training, but the inner spirit of the soldiers. The side with the most fervor will emerge triumphed in a bloody headlong clash while the side lacking in conviction will leave the battlefield broken. +2 to own battle roll, +10% both casualties.

Republican Onslaught: The Grand Army of the Republic is massive in size, allowing for swift and continuous cycling of troops to the front and then to the rear in a relentless, tireless march that leaves the enemies of liberty floundering and increasingly near the breaking point. +10% Enemy Casualties, -10% own Casualties.

So here are my current three ideas for my TacDocs so far. Very new to the battle mechanics so i am open to all criticism or suggested changes if these are overpowered or underpowered or whatever. Was kinda unsure about increasing any of the casualties effects beyond 10%.

Edit: Edited with suggestions from the mods.

JBarca
2024-01-28, 12:56 PM
Special 5 Requests!

TacDoc:
Kill or Die Trying
What are warriors if they are not killing, and dying, in service of the Bloodfather? What is a Khylokian who is not taking what they can and casting aside those who oppose them? Khuid kho-Tuil knows this, and her warriors know this. Lives are thrown away at frankly unsustainable rates, but the ferocity of the fanaticism ensures that the enemy suffers at least as much and are, hopefully, less psychologically prepared for the attrition.
Effect: +2 to battle, then increased casualty rates for both sides as high as you'll let me

Artifact:
kha-Ujin's Siphon
As the elect begin growing in power, the daughter of the late Bloodlord approaches the throne, offering a long, jagged knife with its leather hilt-wrapping stained red with blood, to her ruler. Kheero Orte kho-Ulen, matriarch of the Orte family, parts with her father's tool of intimidation and destruction, trusting the new Bloodlord to use it well. The siphon was once used to empower Kheer Orte kha-Ujin's sanguimancy at the cost of disloyal or irritating nobles and warriors, draining their blood at a frightening rate. With some creative modifications, Bloodlord Peter has found the 'proper' way to use the device: to increase fuel efficiency. By linking it to an engine and routinely cutting the crew with it, the inherent sanguimancy of the tool lets fuel last longer, burn hotter, and produce less waste.
Effect: +1 to Sacks, 1/turn

Tychris1
2024-01-28, 01:04 PM
The Sorcerers await the peeling of eons over the sandy grit of history.

Feathersnow
2024-01-28, 02:27 PM
Special 5 request (doctrine)

The Hammer's Rage +(large number) to battle if the target is simultaneously attacking your territory

Edit: flavor: the Hammer is a powerful psionic, even by the tge standard of Glix Queens. She is also a hyper-nationalist. In time of crisis, she can fuel the fear and anger of The Chorus of Queens into increased aggression, luck, coordination, and even alter the weather!

Rolepgeek
2024-01-28, 02:29 PM
Admiral Doctrine:
Electronic Bombardment: Controlling the skies is good, but not enough; to the discerning mind with the appropriate preparations, however, that control can be leveraged into domination of frequencies, infiltration of networked systems, and the systematic dismantling of any coordinated response. Effect: Orbital Bombardment provides 1 free contact in the region owner; Orbital Superiority provides additional +3 bonus to Tactical Maneuvering roll on Ground Front; in Combined Fronts, +2 to Battle roll on Tactical Victory.

ArdeneRitter
2024-01-28, 03:31 PM
One thing I'm looking forward to doing is attempting to figure out how to guard people's trade routes for them, not sure what kind of action that would require though. Probably something to be figured out after diplomacy.

Tychris1
2024-01-28, 10:29 PM
Holy Site 5 Bonus +1 To Desert Battles

The magic of the Mother Serpent is strongest in the roaring tempest of the desert. She teaches her disciples to strike as quick as the whipping sand and as gracefully as the morning rays. Her followers are entrenched in the land, their hearts beating to the shift, and they are implacable in their homes. Some skilled zealots in battle are said to ride the very wind, conjure monsters from motes, and see through the thickest storms with ease.

moossabi
2024-01-29, 03:00 AM
Descending unto the OOC thread with a TacDoc proposal for my shiny new mil9 commander:

Relentless Butchery: Arni dei Fiori may be a blunt instrument, but one capable of drawing ample blood. Defiant of his culture's disdain for death, he relishes in the opportunity to slaughter as many lesser beings as possible when on campaign. Entire platoons are redirected specifically to hound and destroy retreating or wounded enemies, with field hospitals and medics singled out in particular as high-value targets. Arni's personal mecha reflects this, bearing relatively inefficient chainsaw implements as an extra feature for when the Royal wishes to sate his bloodlust up-close. (+20% to enemy army casualties)

Kythia
2024-01-29, 06:17 AM
Index:

Round 1 Opener (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25953976&postcount=1)
Round 1 Orgs (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25954147&postcount=16)

SerakHawk
2024-01-29, 01:48 PM
Requesting Admiral Tactical Doctrine Approval / review:

Orbital Defense Strikes: Naval Assets are diverted from the space front to target critical orbital defense sites.
-2 to Space Front Battle per Ground Battle in contested Space Front to Bypass Government Orbital Defenses for Ground Forces. Has no effect on Combined fronts.

Minescratcher
2024-01-29, 04:26 PM
Military Doctrine

Boot of Liberty: Victory in battle alone is not enough. The enemy must be overcome in such a fashion as to leave them awed and fearful, so that they may fully understand the folly of further resistance. Stories and tales of the fate of those who resisted most fiercely often find themselves spreading to the civilian leadership, sapping their desire to defy, least they meet the same fate. Provided the attack is successful, the player gains a free impress action next round, only usable on the recently occupied region.

War is Conviction: The most important element during battle is not equipment or training, but the inner spirit of the soldiers. The side with the most fervor will emerge triumphed in a bloody headlong clash while the side lacking in conviction will leave the battlefield broken. +2 to own battle roll, +10% both casualties.

Republican Onslaught: The Grand Army of the Republic is massive in size, allowing for swift and continuous cycling of troops to the front and then to the rear in a relentless, tireless march that leaves the enemies of liberty floundering and increasingly near the breaking point. +10% Enemy Casualties, -10% own Casualties.

So here are my current three ideas for my TacDocs so far. Very new to the battle mechanics so i am open to all criticism or suggested changes if these are overpowered or underpowered or whatever. Was kinda unsure about increasing any of the casualties effects beyond 10%.

Boot of Liberty would need to be reworded a bit: "On a TM success, may attempt one Impress action in the region where the battle takes place, as a subaction of the battle." War is Conviction and Republican Onslaught are both acceptable.

Special 5 Requests!

TacDoc:
Kill or Die Trying
What are warriors if they are not killing, and dying, in service of the Bloodfather? What is a Khylokian who is not taking what they can and casting aside those who oppose them? Khuid kho-Tuil knows this, and her warriors know this. Lives are thrown away at frankly unsustainable rates, but the ferocity of the fanaticism ensures that the enemy suffers at least as much and are, hopefully, less psychologically prepared for the attrition.
Effect: +2 to battle, then increased casualty rates for both sides as high as you'll let me

Kill or Die Trying as above would be +2 to battle, +10% both sides casualties. If you want to push the casualty rate higher, I would also approve +1 to battle, +20% both sides casualties.

Special 5 request (doctrine)

The Hammer's Rage +(large number) to battle if the target is simultaneously attacking your territory

Edit: flavor: the Hammer is a powerful psionic, even by the tge standard of Glix Queens. She is also a hyper-nationalist. In time of crisis, she can fuel the fear and anger of The Chorus of Queens into increased aggression, luck, coordination, and even alter the weather!

The Hammer's Rage would be approved as "+4 to battle if an enemy is simultaneously attacking your own region."

Admiral Doctrine:
Electronic Bombardment: Controlling the skies is good, but not enough; to the discerning mind with the appropriate preparations, however, that control can be leveraged into domination of frequencies, infiltration of networked systems, and the systematic dismantling of any coordinated response. Effect: Orbital Bombardment provides 1 free contact in the region owner; Orbital Superiority provides additional +3 bonus to Tactical Maneuvering roll on Ground Front; in Combined Fronts, +2 to Battle roll on Tactical Victory.

I may have misunderstood you when you pitched these ideas originally, but you can get the free contact or the ground front TM bonus, not both. (If you go with the contact, it would apply on a TM success, not a battle victory.)

Descending unto the OOC thread with a TacDoc proposal for my shiny new mil9 commander:

Relentless Butchery: Arni dei Fiori may be a blunt instrument, but one capable of drawing ample blood. Defiant of his culture's disdain for death, he relishes in the opportunity to slaughter as many lesser beings as possible when on campaign. Entire platoons are redirected specifically to hound and destroy retreating or wounded enemies, with field hospitals and medics singled out in particular as high-value targets. Arni's personal mecha reflects this, bearing relatively inefficient chainsaw implements as an extra feature for when the Royal wishes to sate his bloodlust up-close. (+20% to enemy army casualties)

No notes, this is sound.

Requesting Admiral Tactical Doctrine Approval / review:

Orbital Defense Strikes: Naval Assets are diverted from the space front to target critical orbital defense sites.
-2 to Space Front Battle per Ground Battle in contested Space Front to Bypass Government Orbital Defenses for Ground Forces. Has no effect on Combined fronts.

This is probably worse than not using any tacdoc in most cases, carries some weird implications about how your crews are behaving, and feels more like a tech than a tac doc to me (although Role can weigh in and contradict me there).

Corona
2024-01-29, 05:16 PM
I have purchased this BRG advertisement slot to tell you (the players) to take notice that the White Pawns are offering mercenary services from round two for prices as low as 1 Treasure per unit!

That aside, I have a TD idea:
Complementary Ideas (Space Front)
Two heads are better than one. Especially when trying to grok a 3D battle. Captain Sekira, although secure in the White Pawns' knowledge of war, readily listens to strategists from other cultures and their points of view, and chooses the best mix-and-match from their plans to enact. Reluctance to admit that someone else had the better idea is for the Generals scuffling on the ground; in the skies you should be above such matters as a victor.
When choosing this TD, you may choose another character who can lead this front and a TD that character can activate (except Complementary Ideas). If this character wins Tactical Maneuvering, they use the other chararacter's TD and add a +2 to this front's battle roll on top of it.

The second character is considered occupied as if they were also leading this front, and must roll for leader loss, but for purposes of bonus to maneuvering and battle roll etc., the character using Complementary Ideas is considered to be leading this front.

MappyPK
2024-01-31, 02:01 PM
For approval:

TacDoc: Free conversion attempt on target region.

Does this work as is? Or does it need something attached either positive or negative? Since I'm the first person making one of these types of TacDocs, I want to make sure it'll be appropriately balanced with future ones.

Size 5: +1 to battles in non-dust Veehran (or terrestrial?) regions.
Fluff: In accordance with the teachings of the Cult, the Sun God Avva's eyes cannot reach the surface of dust-covered regions similarly to how they cannot see during the cloudiest of days. Without his watch, how will his armies feel inspired to do their best? Without his judgement, motivation to do what he deems right cannot be guaranteed.

Aerin
2024-02-01, 01:12 AM
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/473165669228085259/1202487520034689044/E8_map_round_1.png?ex=65cda2c5&is=65bb2dc5&hm=d8e81dc4aefc9bbd03ec27689bfcf5d43df63b8fad558e9 148729d3e8cc19af1&
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/473165669228085259/1202494111622631454/E8_map_round_1_simple.png?ex=65cda8e9&is=65bb33e9&hm=4a8470dca1110cdc0990168164d08677ab35891931833be 47305fe28ee5d0626&

bc56
2024-02-01, 10:47 PM
I'd like to request the following TacDoc:

Engineered Onslaught:
Aggressive bombardment by drones and missiles while outside engagement range softens up the enemy for the main assault.
On TM success, enemy loses 1 unit before battle begins.

Minescratcher
2024-02-02, 01:45 PM
That aside, I have a TD idea:
Complementary Ideas (Space Front)
Two heads are better than one. Especially when trying to grok a 3D battle. Captain Sekira, although secure in the White Pawns' knowledge of war, readily listens to strategists from other cultures and their points of view, and chooses the best mix-and-match from their plans to enact. Reluctance to admit that someone else had the better idea is for the Generals scuffling on the ground; in the skies you should be above such matters as a victor.
When choosing this TD, you may choose another character who can lead this front and a TD that character can activate (except Complementary Ideas). If this character wins Tactical Maneuvering, they use the other chararacter's TD and add a +2 to this front's battle roll on top of it.

The second character is considered occupied as if they were also leading this front, and must roll for leader loss, but for purposes of bonus to maneuvering and battle roll etc., the character using Complementary Ideas is considered to be leading this front.

It's unclear if this is meant to let you pick characters you don't control. If it is, then any battle roll bonus on top of that flexibility is too much, and if they have to be committed to the battle and make a leader loss roll I think it should require at least non-action confirmation from that commander's controlling player. If it's limited to only characters you control, I think it should be an extra +1, not +2, but is otherwise fine.

For approval:

TacDoc: Free conversion attempt on target region.

Does this work as is? Or does it need something attached either positive or negative? Since I'm the first person making one of these types of TacDocs, I want to make sure it'll be appropriately balanced with future ones.

A TD that gives you a single action attempt on victory is fine by itself, so this is approvable.

Engineered Onslaught:
Aggressive bombardment by drones and missiles while outside engagement range softens up the enemy for the main assault.

This is a bit out of paradigm but I think it should be OK.

Tychris1
2024-02-02, 02:32 PM
What happens if there is only one unit in that battle. Do they just automatically win on tactical maneuvering success?

Volthawk
2024-02-02, 04:33 PM
Alright, I suppose I better get my tacdoc request down. Resisting the siren song of free actions, let's go with this.

Bleed Them Dry
War in the Reserve tends to be a small-scale thing, raids on outposts or clashes between travelling groups from opposed cities rather than outright large-scale protracted conflict. The one exception to this happened during the unification period of the Eilif Dhaoine, when a number of city-states became the Caornag-iomnach, the vigilant hives, those that refused all inroads or duels from Eilif Dhaoine and thus had to be brought into the fold through war. Giomad was one of those most commonly charged with overseeing the battles against these cities, and found a way to adapt the standard Dhaoine practices to these wars, leading a campaign focused around severing supply lines and raiding outposts, playing to the strengths of the Dhaoine, denying the enemy any support, and making the caornag-iomnach feel the pain of attrition. It's a style of waging war that he feels will work well enough, if not even better than at home (most cities aren't as filled with agriculture as Eilif cities, after all), in the new world and the new wars the Dhaoine face - all armies have supply lines, after all, places where you can strike and let them bleed, weakening them for any open warfare that ends up being necessary.

Effect-wise, I have two main ideas:
+2 to the battle roll, -10% to both side's casualties
+1 to the battle roll, -10% own casualties, +10% enemy casualties

The first form was my original mechanical idea (+battles for being a tacdoc that isn't focused around other stuff than winning the battle and then -losses to both sides by focusing on skirmishing actions and making open fights smaller-scale), but then I thought about it some more, remembered that units contain their own support elements, and that this style of morale breaking probably doesn't work as well at this scale/tech level of battle as it would in a pre-industrial setting (or maybe it does, I'm no expert, sue me), so I came up with the second set to emphasise more that the tactics are painful for the enemy and leaves them weaker for big battles in the campaign, even if it means a smaller raw battle bonus.

farothel
2024-02-02, 05:05 PM
For Approval

Create cultural identity: traders at heart (2d8 on buyout of TP)

Lumaeus
2024-02-04, 11:04 AM
Artifact for Approval

Someone last game had like a network of pearls? I don't know, I didn't pay much attention to not-Polar, tbh. But it inspires:

The Library Card Press: The holder of this Artifact can produce and revoke Library Cards.
Producing library cards is a non-action, however giving them to other players follow all artifact trade rules. Revoking Library Cards is a faith action performable by the holder of the Press, which destroys (a) designated Library Card(s).

We've got three versions of card for consideration. Do any work yet?

+1 to friendly actions between people with library cards, friendly actions being those which can be and are mechanically supported or which offer mechanical support (such as Seek Aid)

The register of library cards is able to give a total of +4 each turn. This can be assigned by the holder of the Library Card Press to library card holders with no country getting more than +1 each turn.

Holders of Library Cards may, at both the Library Card Press holder's AND the intended Beneficiary's non-action permissions, designate one another as the Beneficiaries of actions they take. The action is treated as normal, EXCEPT that any supports, land, goods, Treasure, or other mechanical gains are gained by the Beneficiary and not the party performing the action.

I appreciate feedback and balance notes. I'm here for the vibe of giving out benefits. Plotting of the artifact was a sansar chat collaborative effort. Special recognition to Rocket for leading the charge to cull an alternate angle that was a bit clunky.

Feathersnow
2024-02-04, 11:20 AM
Artifact for Approval

Someone last game had like a network of pearls? I don't know, I didn't pay much attention to not-Polar, tbh. But it inspires:

The Library Card Press: The holder of this Artifact can produce and revoke Library Cards.
Producing library cards is a non-action, however giving them to other players follow all artifact trade rules. Revoking Library Cards is a faith action performable by the holder of the Press, which destroys (a) designated Library Card(s).

+1 to friendly actions between people with library cards, friendly actions being those which can be and are mechanically supported or which offer mechanical support (such as Seek Aid)

The register of library cards is able to give a total of +4 each turn. This can be assigned by the holder of the Library Card Press to library card holders with no country getting more than +1 each turn.

Holders of Library Cards may, at both the Library Card Press holder's AND the intended Beneficiary's non-action permissions, designate one another as the Beneficiaries of actions they take. The action is treated as normal, EXCEPT that any supports, land, goods, Treasure, or other mechanical gains are gained by the Beneficiary and not the party performing the action.

I appreciate feedback and balance notes. I'm here for the vibe of giving out benefits. Plotting of the artifact was a sansar chat collaborative effort. Special recognition to Rocket for leading the charge to cull an alternate angle that was a bit clunky.

That was me who had the Pearls. Basically, you could use them for a seek aid. But, if you did and it mattered, you couldn't use it again until like three people had done the same. Then someone who hadn't gotten anything gitva free faith bump in the subsequent round.

Rolepgeek
2024-02-04, 02:07 PM
Artifact for Approval

[snip]

That was me who had the Pearls. Basically, you could use them for a seek aid. But, if you did and it mattered, you couldn't use it again until like three people had done the same. Then someone who hadn't gotten anything gitva free faith bump in the subsequent round.

And, very importantly, it was the result of a Miracle.

Lumaeus, none of those are approvable in their current form. They are all far too strong/versatile/frequently useful for an F5 artifact. A reminder: the default capability of artifacts are to give +1 to one type of roll, once per turn. Those all do significantly more. I don't know that any version of what you're going for is necessarily going to be approvable without excessive tracking for an F5, sorry mate. If you want to talk about it more, I'm available to have a more detailed/faster discussion on Discord.

For Approval

Create cultural identity: traders at heart (2d8 on buyout of TP)

Yeah that's good to go.

For approval:

Size 5: +1 to battles in non-dust Veehran (or terrestrial?) regions.
Fluff: In accordance with the teachings of the Cult, the Sun God Avva's eyes cannot reach the surface of dust-covered regions similarly to how they cannot see during the cloudiest of days. Without his watch, how will his armies feel inspired to do their best? Without his judgement, motivation to do what he deems right cannot be guaranteed.
So the bonus itself isn't necessarily out of line, but...why does it apply to planetary surface but not space when sunlight touches space so much more consistently? And why Veehra specifically?

Holy Site 5 Bonus +1 To Desert Battles

The magic of the Mother Serpent is strongest in the roaring tempest of the desert. She teaches her disciples to strike as quick as the whipping sand and as gracefully as the morning rays. Her followers are entrenched in the land, their hearts beating to the shift, and they are implacable in their homes. Some skilled zealots in battle are said to ride the very wind, conjure monsters from motes, and see through the thickest storms with ease.
If by desert battles you mean Dust Desert Ground Front battles, then this seems fine.

Minescratcher
2024-02-05, 04:48 PM

Engineered Onslaught:

The other GMs have convinced me that this is too far out of paradigm. I'd suggest +1 to the battle roll, +10% enemy casualties as a similar replacement.

Alright, I suppose I better get my tacdoc request down. Resisting the siren song of free actions, let's go with this.

Effect-wise, I have two main ideas:
+2 to the battle roll, -10% to both side's casualties
+1 to the battle roll, -10% own casualties, +10% enemy casualties

The first form was my original mechanical idea (+battles for being a tacdoc that isn't focused around other stuff than winning the battle and then -losses to both sides by focusing on skirmishing actions and making open fights smaller-scale), but then I thought about it some more, remembered that units contain their own support elements, and that this style of morale breaking probably doesn't work as well at this scale/tech level of battle as it would in a pre-industrial setting (or maybe it does, I'm no expert, sue me), so I came up with the second set to emphasise more that the tactics are painful for the enemy and leaves them weaker for big battles in the campaign, even if it means a smaller raw battle bonus.

I think I agree with you that the second effect is more thematic, but it is a bit overtuned. As with bc above, +1 to the battle roll, +10% enemy casualties would be more appropriate. The first effect is acceptable as-is.

Volthawk
2024-02-05, 06:53 PM
I think I agree with you that the second effect is more thematic, but it is a bit overtuned. As with bc above, +1 to the battle roll, +10% enemy casualties would be more appropriate. The first effect is acceptable as-is.

Yeah, I actually had that thought myself when discord discussion got me thinking about the value of each part more and I realised that I definitely did not translate the value of +1 battle to casualty mods properly, but then completely forgot to edit it here. The +1/+10% works for me.

Zayuz
2024-02-07, 06:17 PM
Hello friends! It's been a while, but please consider me interested in joining. You can contact me on discord if a spot gets opened up. ♥

Feathersnow
2024-02-09, 02:33 AM
Alternative military doctrine:

Mutually Assured Destruction:

+20% own casualties
+4 to battle if this is an Invasion of a State also taking the Invasion action this round targeting you or an ally with a declared vengeance pact.

The best defense is to not be attacked.

Lady Serpentine
2024-02-09, 12:14 PM
Proposed tactical doctrine:

Master of Arms
The more tools one has at their disposal, the more options one has for shaping the field of battle, denying the enemy advantages or creating advantages of one's own.
+1 to battles for every two artifacts attached to the commander (minimum 1, so long as there is at least one artifact attached to the commander.)

This can notionally get more powerful than a standard TacDoc. My reasoning for proposing it anyway is that it requires a massive amount of investment to actually get there; it requires four artifacts to hit the breakeven point, and six to go past it. Further, that investment doesn't scale across commanders if I were to Perfect the Doctrine, and it requires making that investment vulnerable to the loss of the commander (as well as making the Doctrine vulnerable to theft).

TheDarkDM
2024-02-10, 03:18 AM
Submitting a Tactical Doctrine for approval.

In the Light of Chastising Stars: +2 to own battle

Epinephrine_Syn
2024-02-10, 09:19 PM
First, the technicality of asking if a Cultural Identity for Reputation Rolls is okay. Somebody else is taking it and it is the singular Dip roll / roll-off, so I expect it to be fine.

Second, I'd like to put this tac doc into the OOC because I'm at least considering getting it for a commander eventually, and feedback on how fair it is.

The Audience Knows Best!

A magician who warps reality and "commands" forces by reporting on and broadcasting their events across the stars. Often this popularization makes things innately hard to keep under wraps, but the results and pure manifestations of unreality technology in places it shouldn't be is hard to beat on a pure effectiveness front. Plus, it's shockingly hard for enemies to keep things under wraps when aspects of the battle are going up on the InterPlaNet at high speeds.

Choose one of the three packages below whenever you deploy this tac doc to be the benefit that battle.

Woah! Hyper Beam!
+4 To Battle

Wow! Taken down with one hit!
+20% Enemy Casualties
-4 Enemy Leader Loss rolls

Oh no! It can't move!
-20% Own Casualties
+4 Own Leader Loss Rolls

If the opposing commander is a player nation's Ruler or mechanical Admiral/General, they may choose one of the three above packages. Their choice overwrites yours during that battle.

Lumaeus
2024-02-11, 01:20 AM
Artefakt for Roleproval: Library Card, 1/rd +1 to Investigations. I'll fluff it nicely between/at start of round if the effect is good. It should be. It's simple. Beeemoji

Minescratcher
2024-02-11, 02:56 AM
Alternative military doctrine:

Mutually Assured Destruction:

+20% own casualties
+4 to battle if this is an Invasion of a State also taking the Invasion action this round targeting you or an ally with a declared vengeance pact.

The best defense is to not be attacked.

Sorry but I'm not mechanizing vengeance pacts or alliances. Stick with the first version.

Proposed tactical doctrine:

Master of Arms
The more tools one has at their disposal, the more options one has for shaping the field of battle, denying the enemy advantages or creating advantages of one's own.
+1 to battles for every two artifacts attached to the commander (minimum 1, so long as there is at least one artifact attached to the commander.)

This can notionally get more powerful than a standard TacDoc. My reasoning for proposing it anyway is that it requires a massive amount of investment to actually get there; it requires four artifacts to hit the breakeven point, and six to go past it. Further, that investment doesn't scale across commanders if I were to Perfect the Doctrine, and it requires making that investment vulnerable to the loss of the commander (as well as making the Doctrine vulnerable to theft).

This is very strange but it's an experiment I'm not completely opposed to. Hard cap the bonus at +4 and I'll allow it.

Submitting a Tactical Doctrine for approval.

In the Light of Chastising Stars: +2 to own battle

This is perfect. :thumbsup:

First, the technicality of asking if a Cultural Identity for Reputation Rolls is okay. Somebody else is taking it and it is the singular Dip roll / roll-off, so I expect it to be fine.

Second, I'd like to put this tac doc into the OOC because I'm at least considering getting it for a commander eventually, and feedback on how fair it is.

The Audience Knows Best!

Choose one of the three packages below whenever you deploy this tac doc to be the benefit that battle.

If the opposing commander is a player nation's Ruler or mechanical Admiral/General, they may choose one of the three above packages. Their choice overwrites yours during that battle.

Sorry, but this will not fly. Firstly, the downside is not something I want to try to work around because, for a player enemy, there is always an optimal choice. Second, all three of those potential bonus sets are way stronger than would be acceptable even with a severe downside.

I will be asleep until just about round close, so if you have a Tactical Doctrine unspecified because I shot it down in this post, you can finalize it next round.

Lady Serpentine
2024-02-11, 03:08 AM
I can run with that. Seraphine of the Many Arms it is!

Minescratcher
2024-02-11, 09:26 PM
Round 2 is open!

In light of the persistent server issues GITP has been experiencing, Round 2 and all subsequent rounds will be hosted on Myth-Weavers. The link to the game can be found here. (https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/clubs/1277-empire-8-cwbg/&do=overview) More detailed instructions for joining the Myth-Weavers game can be found on our community discord server. (https://discord.gg/h7vYVySbaa)