PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Can double weapons be made Good?

SangoProduction
2024-01-25, 04:57 AM
I watched a Shadiversity video featuring double bladed sword fighting. Looks and sounds cool. Almost as cool as the idea is initially, when you read these books as a kid.
But dual wielding sucks in D&D. And double weapons basically sap all (of what little there was) flexibility out of dual wielding 2 different weapons.

Now, we could address this by adding entirely new systems to the format, like weapons mattering in almost any way outside of reach and damage (and thus giving these weapons, which lack both, a fighting chance)... that's more in the category of homebrew. And fair homebrew, honestly, but out of scope for this post. (Even the early BESM versions had weapons/attacks that were meaningfully different in noncomparable ways 20+ years ago.)

Instead, I'll see what the best double weapons are in the game, and how to best use them (the answer is Spheres, because it always is - at least when it comes to martial nonsense... pretty easy to beat "I swing my sword" and "I swing my sword 5% better").

Quarterstaff: 1d6/1d6, bludgeoning, simple, monk. (A travesty of a stat line for such a good simple weapon.)
Weighted Spear: 1d8/1d6, P / B, simple, brace (a straight upgrade from quarterstaff, unless you were silly enough to be a monk in a game that doesn't want you to be a monk. Although only slightly so.)

Now for the only notable exotic weapons
Orc Double Axe: 1d8/1d8. Slash (Same for two-bladed sword)
Double Spear: 1d8/1d8, Pierce
Dire Flail: 1d8/1d8, Bludgeoning (and disarm and trip properties)

Yeah. That's right. The only benefit that the majority of the exotic double weapons have over the weighted spear is +1 expected damage on the off hand. With literally one exception to the flail, and its disarm property at least giving +2 to disarm checks.
Every single exotic weapon is strictly worse than just dual wielding martial weapons, without exception. (Now, if you were restricted in sources, such that you couldn't get a scizor, or gandasa, you at least get the argument of "At least it gets +1 expected damage on the offhand." Yeah. You can see why having damage and reach as the only meaningful difference between weapons might be a problem.)

But Weighted Spear is simple, and is roughly equivalent to wielding 2 simple weapons. A reasonable DM would let you place a like... scythe head on one end of your back up weapon for a bit of damage type flexing.
(There's an argument for putting like the bayonet or axe musket here. But that's not what you'd classically think of as a double weapon. I want my lightsaber fights, dammit! And sadly, not even using Particle Blade Emulation lets us get double lightsabers, as it becomes a 1d6/1d6.)

So, for sake of best possible use case, let's make the assumption that we are restricted to simple weapons.

So let's look at the spheres available to support this move.
Base sphere: Get a second attack, on making attack action, though "both" attacks incur -2 penalty, and off-hand applies 1/2 strength.

Mercurial Flow: Full strength to off-hand, and treat off-hand as main-hand for purposes of power attack, and the like. This means you actually have better damage bonus from power attack than two handers do (at cost of accuracy).
Gemini Dancer: Basically give +5 to hit (in incredible bonus), and its only penalty is only in play *if* you needed that bonus. And it's that you do minimum damage. Which may sound bad until you realize that losing no more than 7 damage off of your otherwise-miss is still really good, and still adds strength, and rider effects, and so on.

Dual Opportunity: On AoO, also hit with off-hand weapon.
Following Strike: On successful attack action, hit *another target* with off-hand.

Tandem Offensive: Although it only transfers enhancement bonuses, and not all enhancements, that's still a substantial budget improvement (or means your enhancer of the group can target another weapon/armor instead of both of your weapons).

Weaponmaster: Flex damage types as a swift or free action. There. Now you don't need a kind DM... Just a feat-like resource...

Double Weapon Training: Proficiency in all melee double weapons. Not worth it, because that's spending a feat-like for basically a damned +1 dmg to your offhand.

Rider effects: See this guide here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?646139-A-list-of-SoM-attack-rider-effects). You attack more. You also have a +25 percentage points to hit, for the purposes of the rider effects. It's actually pretty damn good.

Two-Weapon Rend: Basically another rider effect. But this gives +1d10, and another 1.5x strength, if you hit with both ends. That can be pretty huge when you've got Gemini Dancer (even if it's argued that you only add the minimum damage on that.. which you don't). And I guess I should point out that it is marked (3PP) on the wiki. But you're uses weighted spear for god's sake. You need the help, and I'm no psychiatrist.

Power Attack: Notably good value out of it.

Weapon Focus-likes: On account of being one weapon, any weapon-specific feats that let you hit 5% more often (Much wow.), or the like, applies to both ends.
Dual Wielding sphere already addresses that. But you get to avoid taking that talent on account of implicitly not needing it. Even if you were going to go for such an interesting and fun feat.

The standard non-spheres feats for martials.

And... that's basically it as far as good support for the archetype. Most of it is not specific to double-weapons. Kind of to be expected, all considered. If there were more weapon-specific feats, maybe there would be a better argument for double weapons. But then there's be more weapon-specific feats.
And of course, more generically, you can simply be good at being a martial. Which means, generically, you can just take Spheres of Might

-
-

So, who uses double weapons the best?

Armorist: Negates almost the entire gold cost associated with dual wielding. Because magic. This also opens up the entirety of the spheres of power to you. As a half caster, but that's still incredible. Look to Spirit Blade, Martial Armorist, and Whitesmith for some good archetype options. (With the obvious caveate on the spirit blade deal of needing an ally to wield you, and let you basically dump your physical stats.)
With all of its scaling coming almost exclusively from class levels, it really hates multiclassing. Especially since all of its scaling is based on the assumption that you are outpacing gold users.

Mageknight: More as an addon rather than replacement to Armorist, they have a bunch of legitimately good features for their weaponry. Like Arcane Weapon Focus (light bonus damage), Imbue Weapon (uses CAM in place of physical stats for hit and dmg), and Penetrating Blow (target touch for 1 round for 1 spell point).

Technician: Anatomical Insight gives +1/2 lvl damage as sneak attack.
But, obviously, its improvements are what make it what it is. For example, the Poison Tempering holds additional doses of poison (poisons are great, as already mentioned). Shield lets you benefit from a shield while having both hands occupied wielding this. That alone is probably worth a 1 level dip if nothing else. Especially if you take the tower shield talents in Equipment sphere. Piston lets you spend a move action to add +1d6/2 levels to the next successful attack. (At least it's never expended until it's used.) Electric Current adds a tiny amount of additional damage (but to every attack).
And given that you would typically be able to improve each weapon individually, if dual wielding, there's a way you could convince your DM to let you apply the improvement to each head rather than to the entire weapon, which is an improvement for everything, other than Electric Current (and who cared about that anyway).

Blacksmith: When you're getting more damage per strike, like with Thunderous Blows (even if only against sunder targets), getting more attacks is good. Thus dual wielding... wait. No, it's only on AoO or AA. Not on-hit. Well still, it's kinda cool to cave in enemy armor with the butt of your spear.
But if you look to the Peltmonger archetype, you do instead get +1d6 sneak attack per 3 levels.

Rogue: Speaking of, the Rogue doesn't have a great sneak attacker variant in Spheres... at least until the Deadly Assassin archetype was introduced. So you can now add 1d6 / 2 levels of sneak attack damage to your fancy spear-spinning, while still enjoying the benefits of Spheres of Might.

Conscript: Dual Wielding specialization reduces the penalty to dual wielding by another 1 at level 3. And gets you a fancy animal companion while you're at it. Otherwise it's... there.

Striker: With favored weapon, you can use the weighted spear as though it were unarmed for the class, and how much damage it does. So strictly speaking, there's literally no benefit to it for the weighted spear, unless your DM really does not like the idea of you enchanting your fists (and even if they do like the idea, they might not like the idea of enchanting your fists differently from one another).
But it is a kinda cool class.

Scholar: with Lightning Rod, they create a storm with their quarter staff, which is a double weapon. Even though it's not being used as a double weapon. Or a weapon at all. I'm trying here.

Saintheart
2024-01-25, 05:13 AM
Worth noting that in 3.5 NotSpheres, there is the Valenar Double Scimitar. Under the Revenant Blade PrC from PGtE, this weapon can be used with both ends as a two-handed weapon, i.e. Power Attack with both ends even though it's a double weapon, and x1.5 STR with both ends as well. This is pretty much unique in 3.5.

SangoProduction
2024-01-25, 05:37 AM
Worth noting that in 3.5 NotSpheres, there is the Valenar Double Scimitar. Under the Revenant Blade PrC from PGtE, this weapon can be used with both ends as a two-handed weapon, i.e. Power Attack with both ends even though it's a double weapon, and x1.5 STR with both ends as well. This is pretty much unique in 3.5.

To be fair, that is a 5 level capstone, after 4 levels of limited utility.
But it is an interesting point all the same.

King of Nowhere
2024-01-25, 10:36 AM
while looking for some peculiar fighting style, I was pointed towards the dire flail smash feat, from champions of ruin. if you hit with both sides of your dire flail, the creature must make a fort save or be dazed. it's a pretty effective debuff to add to your damage.
additionally, i paired this with stormwind warrior, that gave me the option to make touch attachs for no damage to supercharge my attach the next round with +5 attack and +5 damage. this way, my fighter would start with a full attack to supercharge, dealing no damage but hitting all the times - barring natural ones - and it triggers a daze. the next round, if the creature was still in melee, i could unleash a devastating full attack with +30 to both hit and damage for each of my six attacks.
this combo was quite cool, and made use of both the dire flail and the superior number of attacks for using a double weapon.

aside from specific combos, I discovered that two weapon fighting - or indeed using a double weapon, which is mechanically the same thing - is actually good in the right circumstances.
my campaign was high magic, very high loot. most times the party would just fight groups of similarly leveled npcs, meaning that at every encounter they would potentially double their loot. and while at high level disjunction removed some items, they still mostly came out far ahead. they had so much money coming out of their ears, by the end of the campaign we stopped tracking wealth entirely, unless the cost was in the hundreds of thousands.
the main disadvantage of two weapon fighting is the cost of two weapons, but in that case money was no issue.
the second main disadvantage of twf is that you normally want to power attack for maximum damage. except in that case the enemies were npcs wearing very high grade magic armor and protective gear. they had too much AC for power attack. they also had a lot less hp than normal monsters, so there was less need to power attack.
and so i realized, in this specific environment (granted, it's not a common condition for a campaign) two weapon fighting was actually the best choice. with a greatsword you'd deal 2d6 + 1.5 str + 5 enhancement bonus + 5 collision weapon, for 30-40 damage per hit. with two short sword you'd deal the same base damage, the same str damage, but you got to apply enhancement bonus twice, and you got to apply your collision weapon bonus twice, and you got to apply the wounding ability twice, and that far outweighted the -2 to hit.
additionally, i also houseruled that with a single feat you could get as many attacks on the secondary weapon as with the main weapon, instead of having to spend a new feat for every attack - I think it's a very common houserule, the feat tax to twf is frankly ridiculous otherwise.
so, with all those peculiarities of my campaign, two weapon fighting was not only viable, but the best strategy available. it may be possible that other campaign or table specific interactions may also make twf good.

Morphic tide
2024-01-25, 11:28 AM
Back in 3.X, I'd go with a Lynxpaw-focused Psychic Warrior/Swordsage. The Lynxpaw is a Weapon Finesse-compatible Trip-permitting Double Weapon with one side being 18-20/x2. Keen+Kaorti Resin turns that into 15-20/x4. The core of the strategy is a function of four feats: Double Hit, Shock Trooper, Improved Trip, and Robilar's Gambit or Karmic Strike. With Shock Trooper, you get full Power Attack without compromising accuracy. With Improved Trip, you can turn your off-hand low-crit attack into a two-handed high-crit attack. With Robilar's Gambit or Karmic Strike, enemies attacking you provoke AoOs. With Double Hit, these AoOs are a pair of attacks.

Together, you have a good chance of evaporating pretty much anything in the opening round as crits are -1/+8 and you get Pounce for 3pp, plus Huge for 7pp and Burning Brand to have 15/20 space/reach should you be pursuing Cleave attacks. Augmenting Psionic Lion's Charge will carry through to the Cleave attacks, but the real kicker is that Power Attack ends at the start of your next turn. So in the event there are enemies left, you get Headless Charge on all the Attacks of Opportunity from them trying to run away or hit you while you're "vulnerable", which are all main/trip/two-handed combo chances.

While Warblade and Crusader bring White Raven, full BAB, and an easier time with damage intake, I still think that the mobility tools on Swordsage are better. Entirely aside the question of how Psionic Lion's Charge interacts with Charge maneuvers, Searing Charge gets you in the air without questions and Shadow Hand teleports let you relocate for battlefield control purposes without eating unwanted damage, and if you hit IL 13 this can even be after Charging.

Troacctid
2024-01-25, 12:23 PM
First of all, absolutely no respect for the 1d10/1d10 gythka (XPH)? I mean, I don't know if this is meant to be just a Pathfinder discussion, but it's not tagged as PF, so I assume 3.5 is in bounds, and in 3.5, the gythka is a pretty efficient exotic weapon, no?

Secondly, you've overlooked the key benefit of double weapons, which is that they're also two-handed weapons. If you aren't able to full attack on your turn, you can attack with just one end and get 1.5x Strength to damage (and the good Power Attack ratio).

As for double weapon support, gnomes and dwarves have access to additional martial double weapons, for whatever that's worth. Dire flails let you combine TWFing with combat maneuvers and, naturally, the Dire Flail Smash feat, which is pretty cool. And there is support for the quarterstaff in particular through Eilservs School (DrU) and a few unique magical staves such as staff of the vagabond (CC) and runestaff of power (MIC).

Maat Mons
2024-01-25, 01:01 PM
If Holy Order of Stars is an available source, emmide is the best double weapon I know of. It's got reach, but can also be used against adjacent enemies, and it can be used to make trip attempts.

Ramza00
2024-01-25, 03:08 PM
Elvencraft Bow is good (3.5), it is a Bow and a Quarterstaff or a Bow and a Club depending on what size of bow you use.

I think there was also a Dragonlance feat chain that made sense of using a Quarterstaff but if you have the EWP it also gained reach and some other abilities. Technically it was not a Quarterstaff it was a staff with a weird name but you treat it as a normal quarterstaff if you did not have EWP. Edit, it may be the emmide that Maat Mons mentioned. if I recall Holy Order of the Stars is that dragonlance book I am thinking of.

SangoProduction
2024-01-25, 03:54 PM
First of all, absolutely no respect for the 1d10/1d10 gythka (XPH)? I mean, I don't know if this is meant to be just a Pathfinder discussion, but it's not tagged as PF, so I assume 3.5 is in bounds, and in 3.5, the gythka is a pretty efficient exotic weapon, no?

Secondly, you've overlooked the key benefit of double weapons, which is that they're also two-handed weapons. If you aren't able to full attack on your turn, you can attack with just one end and get 1.5x Strength to damage (and the good Power Attack ratio).

As for double weapon support, gnomes and dwarves have access to additional martial double weapons, for whatever that's worth. Dire flails let you combine TWFing with combat maneuvers and, naturally, the Dire Flail Smash feat, which is pretty cool. And there is support for the quarterstaff in particular through Eilservs School (DrU) and a few unique magical staves such as staff of the vagabond (CC) and runestaff of power (MIC).

While it was looking purely at pathfinder, I fully, and 100%, support pulling in 3.5 references for this purpose.

Darg
2024-01-25, 09:57 PM
Something to note for double weapons, is that they are a single weapon for effects that target them. So a single magic weapon or bless weapon cast will apply to both ends of the weapon for example. So they do have an advantage in managing resources if not wealth.

Kurald Galain
2024-01-26, 06:04 AM
Instead, I'll see what the best double weapons are in the game, and how to best use them (the answer is Spheres, because it always is - at least when it comes to martial nonsense... pretty easy to beat "I swing my sword" and "I swing my sword 5% better").
Even outside of Spheres,

Warpriest and Fighter can override base weapon damage with a table that goes to 1d10 at mid-level, 2d8 at high level.
Having multiple attacks works well if you have bonus damage, e.g. sneak attack, studied target, or inquisitor bane.
Double Reach weapons exist, such as the boarding gaff and double-chain kama.
Having multiple attacks also combos well with a build focusing on tripping or dirty tricks.
All of the above stack if you're so inclined.

Kurald Galain
2024-01-26, 06:58 AM
For instance,

Druid with Nature Fang archetype gets
TWF for free at level 4, and skipping its prereqs
ITWF at 6, GTWF at 10
+1 to hit and damage, +1 more every 5th level
Sneak attack 1d6 at level 4, spend a feat to make it 2d6
Enlarge as a swift action, via Plant domain (increasing both damage and reach)
Hide in Plain Sight at level 12
Full spellcasting

Half-elf can get a free weapon proficiency (including exotic) at level 1; for other races, take a trait like Heirloom Weapon. So get one of the double-reach weapons, add the Lunge feat for even more reach.
Then either take damage-boosting feats or go for (1) Combat Reflexes, (3) Unbalancing Trick (Imp Trip without prereqs), (7) Greater Trip; and wield a fortuitous weapon. Nature Fang can also skip the prereqs on Improved Dirty Trick, if desired.
...yeah, that's pretty effective double-weaponry. :smallcool:

Gnaeus
2024-01-26, 09:39 AM

I would add that there are some action economy benefits. You can hold a double weapon in one hand. That means that you can remove a hand to cast a spell or drink a potion or open a door and then free action wield your weapon again, which you can't do with 2 weapons.

SangoProduction
2024-01-26, 10:13 PM
For instance,

Druid with Nature Fang archetype gets
TWF for free at level 4, and skipping its prereqs
ITWF at 6, GTWF at 10
+1 to hit and damage, +1 more every 5th level
Sneak attack 1d6 at level 4, spend a feat to make it 2d6
Enlarge as a swift action, via Plant domain (increasing both damage and reach)
Hide in Plain Sight at level 12
Full spellcasting

Half-elf can get a free weapon proficiency (including exotic) at level 1; for other races, take a trait like Heirloom Weapon. So get one of the double-reach weapons, add the Lunge feat for even more reach.
Then either take damage-boosting feats or go for (1) Combat Reflexes, (3) Unbalancing Trick (Imp Trip without prereqs), (7) Greater Trip; and wield a fortuitous weapon. Nature Fang can also skip the prereqs on Improved Dirty Trick, if desired.
...yeah, that's pretty effective double-weaponry. :smallcool:

The nature fang archetype you are apparently seeing, and that I am seeing seem to be completely different.
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo-druid-archetypes/nature-fang

Also the chain double kama does not appear to have stats that I can find anywhere. But the available description does say it's a choice between being double and being reach. Which is cool.
Cool note about the boarding gaff though.

Maat Mons
2024-01-26, 11:10 PM
It’s all in the choice of Slayer Talents.
4th Level: Ranger Combat Style (Two-Weapon Combat [Two-Weapon Fighting])
6th Level: Ranger Combat Style (Two-Weapon Combat [Improved Two-Weapon Fighting])
8th Level: Rogue Talent (Terrain Mastery [whichever])
10th Level: Ranger Combat Style (Two-Weapon Combat [Greater Two-Weapon Fighting])
12th Level: Slayer Camouflage

Though that gives Camouflage rather than Hide in Plain Sight, and it’s only usable in one type of terrain at that. Could be I’m missing something though.

enderlord99
2024-01-27, 03:12 AM
Based on the capitalization in the title, the answer is a definite yes (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/holy).

As for whether they can be made useful or effective or (lowercase-"g") good...

I have no idea.

Arutema
2024-01-30, 04:40 PM
If you're going to be a druid (Nature's Fang or otherwise) you may want to skip the exotic double weapons for a plain old quarterstaff and prep a few castings of Shillelagh to boost its damage.