PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a premade campaign

MicHag
2024-01-25, 06:00 AM
Hello,

i am a longtime 3.5 player (about 20 years i guess), but our party decided that next campaign we want to play 5e.
I am the designated DM for that campaign, but i probably have a few months of preparations.

I don't want the party to know that it's premade before hand and the reasoning behind this is i don't want them to be inclined to find out more about the specific campaign. I have a slight feeling a certain player would.

Last campaign i made a whole new world, and i already said i wont do that again, was too much work, and i don't want to revisit that world either. So they know i am going to use a premade world.

I thought i would use the Curse of the Crimson Thrown as a Premade Campaign, and give the players the Guide to Korvosa to read, which is not directly linked to the campaign, but does give them a fleshed out city to read about. But i haven't found a 5e conversion for it, altough i do read somewhere that it should be somewhere, i didnt find it.

But i am not tied to CotCT, does anyone have a good premade campaign that is suggested, and in that case, if the players know beforehand it's premade campaign, it's no problem, as long as it's good.

Currently i am reading Odyssey of the Dragon, Drakkenheim and Call from the Deep, but i thought maybe people have other suggestions here.

The campaign has to start at level 1.

Amnestic
2024-01-25, 06:34 AM
If you're open to converting from Pathfinder, the individual adventures of Hollow's Last Hope->Crown of the Kobold King->Carnival of Tears->Revenge of the Kobold King->Hungry are the Dead takes players from level 1 to around 8 or so, set in a fairly small, self-contained area that could be slotted into any world without too much issue.

The Across Eberron: Convergence Manifesto set of 5e Eberron adventures takes players from 1st level to ~7th-8th in a tour across Eberron. It's fairly surface level stuff but it lets you dip your toes into a bunch of different areas to potentially entice them into looking into some areas deeper. I've got a few qualms with how it ends but overall it's solid enough with some cool moments.

Unoriginal
2024-01-25, 07:55 AM
Hello,

i am a longtime 3.5 player (about 20 years i guess), but our party decided that next campaign we want to play 5e.
I am the designated DM for that campaign, but i probably have a few months of preparations.

I don't want the party to know that it's premade before hand and the reasoning behind this is i don't want them to be inclined to find out more about the specific campaign. I have a slight feeling a certain player would.

Last campaign i made a whole new world, and i already said i wont do that again, was too much work, and i don't want to revisit that world either. So they know i am going to use a premade world.

I thought i would use the Curse of the Crimson Thrown as a Premade Campaign, and give the players the Guide to Korvosa to read, which is not directly linked to the campaign, but does give them a fleshed out city to read about. But i haven't found a 5e conversion for it, altough i do read somewhere that it should be somewhere, i didnt find it.

But i am not tied to CotCT, does anyone have a good premade campaign that is suggested, and in that case, if the players know beforehand it's premade campaign, it's no problem, as long as it's good.

Currently i am reading Odyssey of the Dragon, Drakkenheim and Call from the Deep, but i thought maybe people have other suggestions here.

The campaign has to start at level 1.

The Wilds Beyond the Witchlight campaign is a fantastic campaign on its own, but it's also specifically a campaign that is very easy to modify to fit one's tastes and preferences. Even if/when it's one's first campaign in 5e as a DM.

It starts at lvl 1 and ends with the PCs getting their 8th level if the PCs do everything. In my campaign it ended at lvl 7 because they skipped one of the bosses.

The only two things you'd need to make sure a player won't find info about it online are:

1) change the name of the titular circus (and in consequence, the names of its owners) to something else.

2) change the name of the Archfey the PCs have to rescue. Some people have spoiled who she is online.

That being said, if you think one or several players are going to do something you'd prefer them not doing, the best is to address the point directly with them and ask them politely to not do it (without accusing anyone, of course), telling them that if someone does it would ruin the work you're putting in DMing and harm your enjoyment of the campaign.

JLandan
2024-01-25, 04:07 PM
+1 for Witchlight. Fun to run and play, especially if you're a grognard and get all the D&D historical references.

For a campaign much harder for your players to track down (for shame), try drivethruRPG.com or dmsguild.com. Both have a ton of searchable campaigns by third party publishers.
One of my favorites is Runewild, a fey adventure setting, sandbox style so some encounters may be too strong for lower levels, skip those until the PCs return to that area with advanced levels.

MicHag
2024-01-26, 05:15 AM
I have started looking into the Witchlight campaign, and it seems like a nice one to run.

Is it possible to do both the "Lost things" and "Warlocks Quest" arc together? They did lose things as kids, but they also are contacted by the Warlock:
"Once you have lost things at the carnival, that is why i contact specifically you, but while you are at it, help me as well".

Unoriginal
2024-01-26, 08:43 AM
I have started looking into the Witchlight campaign, and it seems like a nice one to run.

Is it possible to do both the "Lost things" and "Warlocks Quest" arc together? They did lose things as kids, but they also are contacted by the Warlock:
"Once you have lost things at the carnival, that is why i contact specifically you, but while you are at it, help me as well".

It's possible to do both, but which one you go for will affect the ending/epilogue, so you probably will have to rewrite it to weave both together there.

I DMed the Warlock's Quest, personally, and it went great.

JLandan
2024-01-26, 04:44 PM
I looked into combining them, but in the end I ran Lost Things because it applied to all my players. The Warlock's Quest reward was very skimpy for the trouble and my 1st level players were not going to be up for doing something the more powerful warlock should be doing for himself.

I also juiced it up with some encounters from Runewild because my table is more combat tactical and likes a grittier campaign. Witchlight is super cool, but it is a little soft.

Unoriginal
2024-01-26, 06:20 PM
I looked into combining them, but in the end I ran Lost Things because it applied to all my players.

Yeah, it's simpler to do one or the other.

The Warlock's Quest reward was very skimpy for the trouble

I disagree, the quest reward from the Warlock is pretty significant in itself

I mean, we're talking about three rare magic items, one very rare magic item, 4000gp in gemstones, and three letters entitling the bearer to one favor from the ruler(s) of a city or similarly large settlement (which can be cashed in for a small estate, even), one favor from any one temple of a specific deity, and one favor from one of several powerful mages.

and my 1st level players were not going to be up for doing something the more powerful warlock should be doing for himself.

The Warlock may be more powerful, but he is literally so old he may die before the PCs come back from the adventure.

That's part of the reason why he's hiring them in the first place, he knows he's dying very soon and he's worried about what would happen to him with his Patron being impossible to contact.

Witchlight is super cool, but it is a little soft.

It's true that the adventure isn't as out for the PCs' throats as some of the most famous 5e adventure.

KorvinStarmast
2024-01-27, 03:23 PM
The Salt Marsh campaign is a good campaign.