PDA

View Full Version : Question about Illithid Savant

Darelius
2024-01-26, 11:40 AM
Okay, this is PURE theoretical and far from "normal" gaming..

Imagine following Situation:
A Mind Flayer with the Illithid Savant Prestige Class (Savage Species page 77)
Now the Nightmare: He grab and extract the brain of a god. (Deities and Demigods)

Now the question:
Does he get the salient divine abilities and other Divine powers of the god?

In my humble opinion, he get most Powers but not:
Divine Rank
Godly Realm
The "Senses" with 1-x miles range of that god, becuase rank dont exist

But he get;
Divine Immunities
Spontanous casting of Divine Spells
salient divine abilities
Divine Powers

Okay, he didnt get "many" or "all" (except he revive him and do it again and again and again with revivify ;) )
But can he get those abilities? in my opinion: YES only some "exceptions" of powers, that work on the divine rank like sensory-

What do you think about it?

...Dx

Remuko
2024-01-26, 01:23 PM
Okay, this is PURE theoretical and far from "normal" gaming..

Imagine following Situation:
A Mind Flayer with the Illithid Savant Prestige Class (Savage Species page 77)
Now the Nightmare: He grab and extract the brain of a god. (Deities and Demigods)

Now the question:
Does he get the salient divine abilities and other Divine powers of the god?

In my humble opinion, he get most Powers but not:
Divine Rank
Godly Realm
The "Senses" with 1-x miles range of that god, becuase rank dont exist

But he get;
Divine Immunities
Spontanous casting of Divine Spells
salient divine abilities
Divine Powers

Okay, he didnt get "many" or "all" (except he revive him and do it again and again and again with revivify ;) )
But can he get those abilities? in my opinion: YES only some "exceptions" of powers, that work on the divine rank like sensory-

What do you think about it?

...Dx

I think if you kill a god you should become one in their place. Also those things you claim he would get, are things mostly derived from divine rank. No divine rank should mean no to getting those. imo, of course.

Beni-Kujaku
2024-01-26, 03:01 PM
Besides the whole "steal the portfolio of the god you killed and become a deity in their place", Illithid Savant seems to consider features coming from a class separately from innate special attacks and qualities. Thus, it is reasonable to think abilities gained from divine ranks would be considered a third source entirely, and that they would not get absorbed by the savant. If you consider them special attacks and qualities normally, then there's no reason the savant could not copy one salient divine ability or one single divine ability.