PDA

View Full Version : Werewhale

Fascisticide
2007-12-13, 11:40 AM
How would you stat this thing?
After the wereshrimp, this definitely needs to be in my game! But I am not very good at creating monsters, and I've never done anything higher than CR5.
Some help or ideas would be welcome!

http://www.macguff.fr/goomi/unspeakable/WEBIMAGES/MISC/cloverfield-monster-picture.jpg

Inyssius Tor
2007-12-13, 12:00 PM
Holy crap!

(I'll start working on it after work, although someone else will have done it better by then.)

Nebo_
2007-12-13, 11:00 PM
That is awesome.

I'll take a look at making something soon.

osyluth
2007-12-13, 11:15 PM
You want it that big??! The size categories only go to Colossal, man... :smallwink:

Xefas
2007-12-13, 11:19 PM
You want it that big??! The size categories only go to Colossal, man... :smallwink:

They go higher in epic. I believe Prismatic Dragons get up to Colossal++.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-13, 11:25 PM
I could see something like that swimming in the oceans and seas of the abyss, even demons beware the mighty WEREWHALE! speaking of which what is it a were of, i mean is it a human who turns into that thing or is it like that all the time, or is it like some sort of uber-giant fish critter that goes all whaly at the full moon?:smallwink:

osyluth
2007-12-13, 11:39 PM
They go higher in epic. I believe Prismatic Dragons get up to Colossal++.

Yes, that's the problem about making a D&D joke like that: there's always some splatbook with an exception to the rule somewhere. :mad:

Nostri
2007-12-14, 12:19 AM
((Caution: This post will be slightly off topic for most of it though I will attempt to get back to the point of the thread at the end of my post....))

To the OP: Is this actual concept art for the monster from Cloverfield or is it someone else's supposition as to what that monstrosity will look like? Either way could you post where you got it? Please? :smalltongue:

((And now back to our regularly scheduled program...))

I had an idea for this when I started to post but I've been up for too long. I think I was going to suggest basing the thing's humanoid form off of the loxodont. (or a loxo, I can't remember which on'es from D&D and which one's from Magic:tG at this point.) Make the thing stronger and bigger and give it some aquatic abilities, such as holding it's breath for ungodly periods of time, and there ya go. As for the whale form I don't think you'll have to worry about making a dire whale for it to shift into for it's animal form, a normal whale is plenty nasty enough as far as I can tell. Though if you do want something that big you might have to increase it's size... alot.

Fascisticide
2007-12-14, 02:06 PM
I guess it doesn't need to be that huge.
The biggest monster I know is the Tarrasque. From the drawing, would the werewhale be bigger that the Tarrasque?

As for what is the base creature that can shapeshift into a whale... I think lycantropes are supposed to be about the same size as the creature they change to, so It would have to be a giant or even a titan. But, rules aside, a normal human who changed into a humongous whale monster at full moon would create interesting situations!

To the OP: Is this actual concept art for the monster from Cloverfield or is it someone else's supposition as to what that monstrosity will look like? Either way could you post where you got it? Please? :smalltongue:

I took it from the Unspeakable Vault (of Doom)'s weblog :
http://www.macguff.fr/goomi/unspeakable/weblog.html

which explains how the latest comic is linked to Cloverfield :
http://www.macguff.fr/goomi/unspeakable/vault244.html

I had never heard of Cloverfield before, and I have no idea if this drawing is anything official. But I thought it was pretty cool! And to me it really is what a werewhale would look like!

Bellmaethorion
2007-12-16, 10:31 AM
Oh wow, I'd love to see that statted out(albeit, maybe a bit smaller:smallbiggrin: )
as an aside, where would one find the wereshrimp?

Shraik
2007-12-16, 12:34 PM
So this plans to be "White Wyrms between the finger" big or tarrasque big?

DraPrime
2007-12-16, 12:50 PM
Werewhales? I knew my secret plan would be useful some day!
http://www.bustedtees.com/bt/images/BT-nukethewhales-catalog-3035.jpg
Too harsh?

Yeril
2007-12-16, 01:07 PM
He looks to be around Collosal +++ to me.. big enough to EAT the terrasque without chewing, He would have to be some sort of near divine oceanic terrasue epic campaign shizzle.

If you wanted him that size, if not collosal is fine.

Shraik
2007-12-16, 01:11 PM
I do not believe he is Colossal++ because xixecal(White wyrms resting between fingers) is Colossal and is Literally a walking moutain. I say lets get started on the stats. I say +10 strength when in Hybrid Form and a sonic bellow if they are in water.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-16, 02:13 PM
I'd say a +16 on con..that thing looks like walking HP

eidreff
2007-12-16, 03:22 PM
I SO wish that I had thought of this one.

If one is a human or Demi-human Were Whale however wouldn't the tailors bill get a tad expensive? Think of the effect on the poor things social life. Every full moon turning into a ravening half whale monstrosity and then getting really dry skin until the moon sets. Only to awaken at the bottom of a whale shaped crater with very torn clothing and a vague hunger for krill...:smallbiggrin:

Spiryt
2007-12-16, 03:31 PM
I'd say a +16 on con..that thing looks like walking HP

Well, I can't imagine fighting this thing with sword, even + 5 keen vorpal sword of neverending destruction...

Icewalker
2007-12-16, 03:43 PM
Sounds like a good mostly passive uber-being that just shows up occasionally and eats something sleeping on the bottom of the Abyssal Sea. It could be the only thing that Dagon (Fiendish Codex 1, P59) fears. I'd actually probably use it someday, what with a sea-based campaign world and a lot of traveling to alternate planes, the abyss being a fun point in particular...

Lady Tialait
2007-12-16, 03:55 PM
let's see,

Str +10
Con +16
Dex -8
Wis +4

Size Colossal++,

Whale Form, Normal Form, Hybred Form

let's see. erm...Swallow Whole ofcorse let's see.

Swallow Whole would be upto 2 Colossal, 8 Gargantuan, 32 Huge, 128 Large, 512 Medium, (just go from there)

um..let's see...Turn that into a template and I think we have it...maybe

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-12-16, 04:33 PM
+16 Con is very low for this thing. I mean, that's not that high compared to dragons and giants this thing eats whole in groups. It'd be incredibly epic, stat bonuses well above 20, if you ask me.

CthulhuM
2007-12-16, 04:48 PM
The only DnD monsters I can think of that are anywhere near that thing's size are the Devastation Vermin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/devastationVermin.htm) (if you're using the original 3.0 size system - in 3.5 they're all shrunk down to 40x40 feet). The biggest of those was the devastation scorpion, which was 120x240 feet. Unfortunately, the devastation vermin have ridiculously pathetic physical stats for their size - there are huge creatures out there with higher strength and con scores - so they aren't much use for determining reasonable stats for this thing. Their natural attacks (which deal between 10d10 and 30d10 damage) seem reasonable though, as does their HD total (128d8).

As for this thing's actual size... considering that the statue of liberty is about 300 feet tall, and this thing appears to be significantly taller than it, I'd put it at about 450 feet tall, maybe 200 feet wide and easily 1200 feet long. I'd say it has 100 or more strength and con, and probably 150 or so hit dice, and its type seems to fall pretty clearly under magical beast.

It looks like it should have a number of natural attacks - perhaps a bite (20d10), a tail slap (30d10), two claws (12d10) and... 8 slams (8d10)?

Spiryt
2007-12-16, 05:39 PM
It looks like it should have a number of natural attacks - perhaps a bite (20d10), a tail slap (30d10), two claws (12d10) and... 8 slams (8d10)?

I think there is a problem with describing fights with such beasts.
I can somehow imagine like this thing claws a human... but I really can't imagine how it could bite a man with mouth like that.

StickMan
2007-12-16, 05:51 PM
As for this thing's actual size... considering that the statue of liberty is about 300 feet tall, and this thing appears to be significantly taller than it, I'd put it at about 450 feet tall, maybe 200 feet wide and easily 1200 feet long. I'd say it has 100 or more strength and con, and probably 150 or so hit dice, and its type seems to fall pretty clearly under magical beast.

I have to agree with you on all counts.

I feel like if you get stepped on by that thing you should just die, no save your just dead I don't care what you've got unless you some how can stop it from stepping on you your dead.

brian c
2007-12-16, 06:48 PM
I have to agree with you on all counts.

I feel like if you get stepped on by that thing you should just die, no save your just dead I don't care what you've got unless you some how can stop it from stepping on you your dead.

Trample? Isn't there a special attack that dragons get at a certain size where they just sit on you?

Shraik
2007-12-16, 07:43 PM
Its level adjustment should be equal to its weight in tons.

Demented
2007-12-16, 09:00 PM
I think there is a problem with describing fights with such beasts.
I can somehow imagine like this thing claws a human... but I really can't imagine how it could bite a man with mouth like that.

You can bite an ant, can't you?

*munch* Mmm, crunchy.

D Knight
2007-12-16, 09:15 PM
ok when i saw this i thought it was a joke but i see now that i was wrong. i am now scared to go outside unless i have air support flying over head. ok not really but holy mole that thing is BIGGER than life. great work can not wait to see the stats and other stuff.

brian c
2007-12-16, 10:00 PM
You can bite an ant, can't you?

*munch* Mmm, crunchy.

Right, you can but the damage is pretty irrelevant at that point.

Demented
2007-12-17, 01:21 AM
Heck, swallowing is pretty irrelevant at that point. This thing could just let a level 20 fighter drown in a pool of saliva while it hunts for more interesting prey.

vegetalss4
2007-12-17, 05:26 AM
wait i know. how about just making a werewhale a werewhale (you know a humanoid/giant with the lycanthrope template with a whale as the base animal)

Umarth
2007-12-17, 09:06 AM
What this thing really needs is a giant giant squid to fight.

DracoDei
2007-12-17, 09:28 AM
Hm... would Cthuthulu(sp?) do in a pinch?

Lysander
2007-12-17, 02:37 PM
Where did you get that image from, Fascisticide? Is it Cloverfield fan-art or from a more official source? Either way it's awesome.

FYI for those of you who don't know Cloverfield is a monster movie coming out in January.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-17, 03:15 PM
Well, I just finished all my finals and I am disappointed to see that there is very little 'brewing going on here so I'll start. Below is an advanced Baleen Whale (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/whale.htm#baleenWhale) to create a Blue Whale. Then the dire version. Afterwards we can apply the Dire Blue Whale with some humanoid to make the Werewhale.

Blue Whale
Size/Type: Colossal Animal
Hit Dice: 20d8+169 (257 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: Swim 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (-8 size, +2 Dex, +14 natural), touch 4, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+47
Attack: Tail slap +23 melee (2d6+25)
Full Attack: Tail slap +23 melee (2d6+25)
Space/Reach: 40 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Swallow Whole
Special Qualities: Blindsight 120 ft., hold breath, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +20, Ref +14, Will +7
Abilities: Str 44, Dex 14, Con 26, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +15*, Spot +14*, Swim +32
Feats: Alertness, Diehard, Endurance, Toughness (3), Snatch
Environment: Aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 9
Advancement: 21-36 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: —

Dire Blue Whale
Size/Type: Colossal+ Animal
Hit Dice: 20d8+249 (337 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: Swim 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (-12 size, +2 Dex, +19 natural), touch 0, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+55
Attack: Tail slap +31 melee (3d6+31)
Full Attack: Tail slap +31 melee (3d6+31)
Space/Reach: 80 ft./40 ft.
Special Attacks: Swallow Whole
Special Qualities: Blindsight 120 ft., hold breath, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +20, Ref +14, Will +7
Abilities: Str 52, Dex 14, Con 34, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +15*, Spot +14*, Swim +36
Feats: Alertness, Diehard, Endurance, Toughness (3), Snatch
Environment: Aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 10
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

A Werewhale is a lycanthrope of a Colossal humanoid and a Dire Blue Whale.
Str +42, Dex +2, Con +24; Alignment: Neutral

Shraik
2007-12-17, 04:42 PM
Something that is collossal+ can not possibly have such a low CR

Ankhor
2007-12-17, 04:49 PM
If you look at it, all it really has going for it is schloads of HP and a single one-basket attack. With sensible positioning and healing, it shouldn't be much more than the listed CR.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-17, 04:57 PM
Something that is collossal+ can not possibly have such a low CR

Well, I've never been a good judge of CR, so I just upped it a bit for the size increase. So now, is someone going to attach this baby to something? I don't really know what's big enough though, giants and titans are only huge...

Bellmaethorion
2007-12-18, 12:54 AM
How about the Tarrasque?:smallbiggrin:

edit: ah no, wait, not a humanoid...

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-18, 02:26 AM
With a bit of resreach, it seems there is only one creature that will work. A Lycanthrope template can only be applied to humanoids and giants; the Mountain Giant (MM2) is the only colossal one. Unfortunately, I do not have my MM2 ATM, so anyone wish to stat it out?

Kami2awa
2007-12-18, 09:19 AM
In Call of Cthulhu there's at least 1 monster who's listed damage is 'enough to flatten a battleship.' If struck by it, you get a luck roll to find out if enough of your dead body remains for a burial.

Rasumichin
2007-12-18, 09:48 AM
I once statted out a whereelasmosaurus merrow...but this?
Wow.
Impressive indeed.

Psionic Dog
2007-12-18, 12:55 PM
Actually, The Storm Giant works when paired with an Orca or Sperm Whale.

Of course, with 29 or 31 HD respectively it could never be playable for a character, but with a CR of only 16 or 17 respectively by RAW you could see it in a campaign.

Oger (or Merrow) WereOrcas also work, and mechanicaly make more sense even if they are less impressive.