PDA

View Full Version : Filled Mutants & Masterminds 3.2 [playtest]

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-01-28, 10:35 AM
Hi! I'm looking to run a quick 1-shot to test out the new M&M rules included in the free Valiant Adventures Quickstart (https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/467646/valiant-adventures-rpg-quickstart-free-pdf) rules. Some of the changes are the addition of "Advantage & Disadvantage" and a deadlier Damage system. Looks like the majority of changes to advantages and effects will be released later this year. But having the Quickstart rules along with the free core rules (https://www.d20herosrd.com/) is enough for this project.

Before I bother with a 16 is anyone tentatively interested?

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
Mutants & Masterminds 3e with "3.2" rules changes.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
Supers in an alternate Marvel Earth set in Summer 2024. The usual supers like Spider-Man, the Avengers, and the X-men exist along with the usual villains.This is not the MCU.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
Four or five players with alternates.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
OOTS.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
Power Level 8, 150 Power Points (PL8 is the new suggested benchmarks for starting supers, replacing PL10).

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
Players decide for their individual characters.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
Supers can be comical like Deadpool or serious like Watchmen or traditional like Superman.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
Supers can be human, mutant, mutate, cyborg, extraterrestrial, or extradimensional.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
The usual point-buy.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
No homicidal maniacs (Joker, Thanos). Heavy-handed supers like Deadpool and the Punisher are anti-heroes which is ok.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
Not applicable for M&M.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
I'll create a link so players can roll for their characters on the site forum (https://forums.giantitp.com/forumdisplay.php?43-Dice-Rolls).

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
All variant rules we're using will be in the Valiant Adventurers quickstart set. Players can download the quickstart for free.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
Background stories can be as short or long as a player wants. The supers can be from anywhere but the 1-shot begins in an alternate modern Marvel New York City during the summer of 2024.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, role-playing, or a combination of the above?
Expect a combination to test the new rules.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
The core M&M 3e rules (https://www.d20herosrd.com/)
The Valiant Adventures Quickstart (https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/467646/valiant-adventures-rpg-quickstart-free-pdf)
Power Profiles (https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/117277/power-profiles)

17. How long will recruitment last?
Until noon on 2/10/24.

18. Any banned powers?
Time Travel is out. Precognition is ok but limited to no more than 1 minute into the future. Some of the powers in Power Profiles like Teleport (reaction) and Immunity to Ranged Attacks are banned.

Setting: Earth-2024:

Millions of years ago an enigmatic race of giant 'super-aliens' named the Celestials
arrived on Earth. They experimented with the early humans which led to humanity
developing a gene that could produce superhuman abilities. This led directly to the
appearance of mutants (those who developed superhuman abilities usually during
puberty) and mutates (those who developed superhuman abilities due to some external
stimuli).
Thousands of years ago superhumans began emerging with greater frequency and their
actions led to the ancient stories of "mythological entities and monsters". Many of
these ancient supers were even worshipped as "gods" and magicians and their battles
against each other often caused the fall of entire civilizations. While many of
these supers traveled the world or established themselves as "God-Kings" there were
groups of them that were able to cross over into other dimensions they would claim as
their new home.
WW1 marked the first appearance of costumed "superheroes" in the form Freedom's Five,
a team of international supers united against the German government.
WW2 included the appearance of a new team of "Ally"-based supers named the Invaders
who fought against the forces of the Axis.
The 1960's was a hallmark era as many new superhero teams emerged to challenge the
rise of "supercriminals" and the threat they posed to the world. Among them were the
Avengers, Fantastic Four and X-men. These and many more superheroes answered the call
of heroism for many decades leading up to today.

Player
Character
Type
Status
Party role

Benoojian
Bioshock (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P1tFpQ9A7NN7Ud5R_2TH537mO1pe6BxX/view)
Biokinetic
Complete
Healing, surveillance, ranged combat

Rook.Gamer
Quarry (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25960667&postcount=38)
Powerhouse
Complete
Meta-stopping power, heavy lifting, ballistic defense

JeminiZero
Magic Girl Jenova (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25960175&postcount=32)
Mage
Complete
Meta-utility, transport

RossN
Mistral (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25963463&postcount=77)
Speedster
Complete
Offense, ground control, diversion

Phobia
2024-01-28, 11:23 AM
Yes very interested

Rook.Gamer
2024-01-28, 11:32 AM
Absolutely interested!!!

Rokku
2024-01-28, 11:45 AM
Absolutely.

RocknRollFTW
2024-01-28, 02:29 PM
Always down for M&M 3E.

Cerespirin
2024-01-28, 06:00 PM
I'd love the opportunity to play MnM, given that I fell in love with the system some five years ago now and still haven't had any good opportunities to actually play it. I can't say I'm crazy about some new playtest, though.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-01-29, 05:04 AM
I posted a FAQ sheet on the OP for players looking to jump in on this. I forgot to mention character sheets: please use the Myth-Weaver M&M 3e sheet because it's very easy for me to read. Any questions, just ask.

Batcathat
2024-01-29, 06:39 AM
Potentially interested. I do love M&M and it's been a weirdly long time since I used it to actually play a "standard" superhero game.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-01-29, 08:46 AM
This is definitely a "standard supers" 1-shot with the well-known Marvel superheroes staying out of the players' way. Players can pitch ideas and begin creating your supers now.

Some of the changes:

Advantage/Disadvantage from D&D 5e has arrived full circle in the form of Bonus (Advantage)/Penalty (Disadvantage) Dice. This already existed in M&M 3rd in the form of the 'Second Chance' advantage, but this rules update makes the feature more broad. Looks like a plus to me.
The Technology skill has been broken into three separate skills: Computers, Mechanics and Electronics.
The Vehicles skill is replaced with 'Driving' which limits the type of vehicle known to ground-based vehicles. That's kind of weird especially since I don't see a 'Pilot' skill.
A new skill 'Thievery' is added which seems to be a hybrid of Technology: Security + Sleight of Hand. But, Sleight of Hand also remains an available skill so another shrug there.
Athletics: Leaping looks broken in a bad way: leaping distance in meters x6 = check DC ??????
Intimidation and Persuasion have been buffed to operate almost like soft-form Mind Control when combined with the new Overwhelm action, which can be used on groups of Minion-level characters. Looks like Green Ronin decided to finally give Presence some value (Overwhelm seems to be a new advantage, I think but these supers won't need it to use the action)
Damage resistance checks have been nerfed to DC10 + effect rank. I would have preferred the non-Damage DC being raised to 15. Automatically this looks like combat will take even longer to resolve (unless the GM hand-waves a conclusion)
The Concentrate action has returned from 2nd edition (sorta) and should immediately impact mental powers: the majority of 2nd edition mental powers (Telepathy, ESP, Mind Control and others) had a duration of Concentration
Damage got nastier: succeeding on a Toughness check still brings a -1 penalty (Bruised or Injured depending on normal or lethal damage) to further Toughness checks and recovery time from certain conditions increased. That makes Impervious Toughness far more valuable especially with new Lethal damage rules that can bring a deadly Iron-Age grittiness to how combat works.

Darkstorm
2024-01-29, 01:53 PM
Most of those seem like good changes, although some things like skill/powers unbalance seems to keep existing.

But overall seems like a good set of rules to try.

Benoojian
2024-02-02, 05:06 PM
My immediate reaction to this was "ooh I want to create an electricity hero but specifically bioelectricity so I can use it to heal a bit as well as harming enemies and messing with their nervous systems" Cue to opening the Quickstart PDF and seeing Panacea.

RocknRollFTW
2024-02-02, 05:51 PM
My immediate reaction to this was "ooh I want to create an electricity hero but specifically bioelectricity so I can use it to heal a bit as well as harming enemies and messing with their nervous systems" Cue to opening the Quickstart PDF and seeing Panacea.Great minds think alike I guess. XD

ProgressPaladin
2024-02-02, 06:09 PM
I maggot want to play, but will be my first time using the system. Would that be ok?

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-02, 06:55 PM
I maggot want to play, but will be my first time using the system. Would that be ok?
Sure. What kind of super do you want to play?

ProgressPaladin
2024-02-02, 07:23 PM
Well, we are using premade characters right? And isn’t ace tailored for beginners?

Rook.Gamer
2024-02-02, 09:12 PM
I am currently working on making a my character. His name is Quarry, he’s a massive stone giant and the alternate form of teenager Elliot Bourne. Just trying to get the last of the mechanics ironed out and entered onto the Myth Weavers sheet.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-03, 03:25 AM
Well, we are using premade characters right? And isn’t ace tailored for beginners?
You can use premade supers or make an original one. The VAQ characters are beginners if they're PL8.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-03, 03:27 AM
I am currently working on making a my character. His name is Quarry, he’s a massive stone giant and the alternate form of teenager Elliot Bourne. Just trying to get the last of the mechanics ironed out and entered onto the Myth Weavers sheet.
Awesome! If you need help let me know.

Rook.Gamer
2024-02-03, 06:29 PM
Absolutely! Will do and thank you for the offer.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-03, 06:30 PM
Some basic setting info was added on the OP but it's open enough for players to insert their own ideas.

JeminiZero
2024-02-03, 10:25 PM
I have an extra dimensional mage built under the 3.0 system, that *shouldn't* need too much revising for 3.2.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Regeneration has been changed back to 2E, with different conditions taking different amounts of time.

Advantage/Disadvantage from D&D 5e has arrived full circle in the form of Bonus (Advantage)/Penalty (Disadvantage) Dice. This already existed in M&M 3rd in the form of the 'Second Chance' advantage, but this rules update makes the feature more broad. Looks like a plus to me.
This apparently affects area attacks. Succeeding the initial Dodge save grants a bonus die.

A new skill 'Thievery' is added which seems to be a hybrid of Technology: Security + Sleight of Hand. But, Sleight of Hand also remains an available skill so another shrug there.
From the free PDF at least, 'Thievery' only covers Security/Disable Device.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-05, 06:14 AM
I have an extra dimensional mage built under the 3.0 system, that *shouldn't* need too much revising for 3.2.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Regeneration has been changed back to 2E, with different conditions taking different amounts of time.

This apparently affects area attacks. Succeeding the initial Dodge save grants a bonus die.

From the free PDF at least, 'Thievery' only covers Security/Disable Device.
Agreed on all your points. You got me excited with an 'extradimensional mage' though. Still going with them?

Batcathat
2024-02-05, 06:21 AM
I'm also leaning towards reusing a slightly altered previous character that I'm quite fond of but never got to play for very long. I haven't finished moving him over to Mythweavers yet (or decided on exactly what I have to/want to change), but here's an image to give you a rough idea of what he's about.

https://i.postimg.cc/VLFmhk13/clad3.jpg

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-05, 06:28 AM
I'm also leaning towards reusing a slightly altered previous character that I'm quite fond of but never got to play for very long. I haven't finished moving him over to Mythweavers yet (or decided on exactly what I have to/want to change), but here's an image to give you a rough idea of what he's about.

https://i.postimg.cc/VLFmhk13/clad3.jpg

He looks horrific? Spooky supers like Ghost-Rider or Hellboy are always fun in my opinion.

Batcathat
2024-02-05, 06:52 AM
He looks horrific? Spooky supers like Ghost-Rider or Hellboy are always fun in my opinion.

Yeah, he's basically one part Lovecraftian abomination, one part grimdark 90s superhero, one part cheesy Silver Age superhero (okay, so that's mostly in his name) and two parts grumpy teenager.

JeminiZero
2024-02-05, 08:39 AM
Well, now I feel thoroughly unoriginal for posting this:

Edit: Magic Girl Jenova moved to here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25965267&postcount=3).

Batcathat
2024-02-05, 08:54 AM
Well, now I feel thoroughly unoriginal for posting this:

Nice, our group can be the X-Men of people powered by horrifying abominations from outside reality. :smalltongue:

More seriously, while Cthul-Lad and Jenova kind of come from a similar place (funnily enough, Cthul-Lad is also the result of a ritual gone horribly wrong, though it was entirely his own fault), the results are very different (both of them are strong and immortal, but that's about it).

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-07, 08:52 AM
JeminiZero dropped a sheet but that's it. Anyone still interested in this? If using Mythweaver is a problem then you can use your own format.

Batcathat
2024-02-07, 09:47 AM
JeminiZero dropped a sheet but that's it. Anyone still interested in this? If using Mythweaver is a problem then you can use your own format.

I'm still interested (and really hoping to actually get to play Cthul-Lad for once :smalltongue: ). The sheet (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2876871) isn't entirely finished (especially the fluffy parts, the history isn't up to the present and the personality is just copied from Complications) but most of it's there.

Lord of Gifts
2024-02-07, 11:40 AM
I’m interested, although I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get an application finished by the 10th.

Benoojian
2024-02-08, 12:38 AM
I was hoping to stat out Panacea and adjust her points a bit, but there have been some changes to Healing or Regeneration (Possibly renamed as Fast Healing?) that aren't revealed yet and I can't get the points to make sense.

It looks like the fast healing ability costs like 23 points, which is bananas because it's really bad regeneration.

BIO-MANIPULATION Array 10pts : Panacea can perform one of the following effects per Turn as a Standard Action:
• ACCELERATED HEALING: Touching another character, Panacea
rolls a DC 10 Check with a +8 Bonus: Each Degree of Success on the Healing Check removes one Damage Condition,
starting with the subject’s least severe condition, and working towards the most severe. She can make one Healing
Check per subject per Scene. Additional uses on the same
subject in that Scene require EXTRA EFFORT (page 17). (Healing Rank 8, Limited, Affects Only Others 8pts)
• ADRENAL SURGE: Panacea gains a +12 bonus to her Athletics
Checks. The bonus is reduced by 1 at the end of each of her
Turns until it is gone. (Enhanced Skill Rank 6, Activation standard, Fading 1pts)
• BIO-STUN: Roll a Ranged Attack Check against a target. On a
hit, they are required to succeed on a DC 18 Fortitude Resistance Check:
SUCCESS: No effect
FAILURE (ONE DEGREE): Dazed
FAILURE (TWO DEGREES): Stunned
FAILURE (THREE OR MORE DEGREES): Incapacitated.
Targets get a new Resistance Check at the end of each of
their turns to eliminate the Dazed and Stunned Conditions,
every minute to eliminate the Incapacitated Condition. (Affliction Rank 8 8pts)
ENHANCED IMMUNE SYSTEM: Panacea is immune to diseases and
toxins and can survive twice as long as normal without food
or water.(Immunity Rank 4 Limited to Half Effect 2, 3pts)
FAST HEALING: Panacea can make a Recovery Check (see page
15) from being Injured by resting for one Turn (taking no
actions) and from being Wounded after four minutes, rather than a day. She has a total +5 Bonus on Recovery Checks
(including her Stamina Rank).

My guesses are that Regeneration is completely removed and replaced with whatever fast healing is, speeding up recovery rolls instead of automatically healing, and that Healing is actually ALWAYS limited to 1/scene so it's not actually Limited flaw (which would be an array of 16,8, and 1, which is just really really bad) but I don't know how the numbers work.

JeminiZero
2024-02-08, 01:13 AM
I've made a bunch of edits:

Edit: Magic Girl Jenova moved to here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25965267&postcount=3).

JeminiZero
2024-02-08, 01:38 AM
I was hoping to stat out Panacea and adjust her points a bit, but there have been some changes to Healing or Regeneration (Possibly renamed as Fast Healing?) that aren't revealed yet and I can't get the points to make sense.

It looks like the fast healing ability costs like 23 points, which is bananas because it's really bad regeneration.

Yeah. They seem to have reverted to the 2E implementation of Regeneration.

FAST HEALING: Panacea can make a Recovery Check (see page 15) from being Injured by resting for one Turn (taking no actions) and from being Wounded after four minutes, rather than a day. She has a total +5 Bonus on Recovery Checks (including her Stamina Rank).

My Guess is:
*3 ranks in Improved Recovery Check (so adding 2 Stamina = +5 total)
*9 ranks in Regen for Wounded (1 day > 4 minutes)
*9 ranks in Regen for Injured (1 hr > 6 seconds)

Total 21 PP

• BIO-STUN: Roll a Ranged Attack Check against a target. On a hit, they are required to succeed on a DC 18 Fortitude Resistance Check:
Targets get a new Resistance Check at the end of each of their turns to eliminate the Dazed and Stunned Conditions, every minute to eliminate the Incapacitated Condition. (Affliction Rank 8 8pts)

Since it is a Range Affliction, Bio-Stun should be 16PP.

• ACCELERATED HEALING: Touching another character, Panacea rolls a DC 10 Check with a +8 Bonus: Each Degree of Success on the Healing Check removes one Damage Condition, starting with the subject’s least severe condition, and working towards the most severe. She can make one Healing Check per subject per Scene. Additional uses on the same subject in that Scene require EXTRA EFFORT (page 17). (Healing Rank 8, Limited, Affects Only Others 8pts)

Which also means that her Healing does not need any flaws. So Affects Others only, and once-per-scene, seem to be the new norm for healing.

This makes recovery between fights a lot harder. If you are Wounded with a bunch of Injuries, Healing will only remove the least severe condition, the injuries. You have to wait a whole day to attempt to recover from Wounded. And if you fail the recovery check, that's another day of waiting. Unless you try to "game" the system by switching scenes repeatedly to allow additional healing attempts.

"Alright, team I know you are all heavily injured and badly wounded. But I've already used my healing at the bank robbery site, so we have to take a trip to the mall if you want to get better."

Batcathat
2024-02-08, 02:46 AM
Unfortunately my character also has Regeneration, so I suppose I'll have to try and make sense of the above when I have the time and focus (or possibly just spend the points on something else, maybe I'll boost his immortality, so he just resurrects quickly instead? :smalltongue: ).

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-08, 09:03 AM
I'm still interested (and really hoping to actually get to play Cthul-Lad for once :smalltongue: ). The sheet (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2876871) isn't entirely finished (especially the fluffy parts, the history isn't up to the present and the personality is just copied from Complications) but most of it's there.

BIO-MANIPULATION Array 10pts : Panacea can perform one of the following effects per Turn as a Standard Action:
• ACCELERATED HEALING: Touching another character, Panacea
rolls a DC 10 Check with a +8 Bonus: Each Degree of Success on the Healing Check removes one Damage Condition,
starting with the subject’s least severe condition, and working towards the most severe. She can make one Healing
Check per subject per Scene. Additional uses on the same
subject in that Scene require EXTRA EFFORT (page 17). (Healing Rank 8, Limited, Affects Only Others 8pts)
• ADRENAL SURGE: Panacea gains a +12 bonus to her Athletics
Checks. The bonus is reduced by 1 at the end of each of her
Turns until it is gone. (Enhanced Skill Rank 6, Activation standard, Fading 1pts)
every minute to eliminate the Incapacitated Condition. (Affliction Rank 8 8pts)
ENHANCED IMMUNE SYSTEM: Panacea is immune to diseases and
toxins and can survive twice as long as normal without food
or water.(Immunity Rank 4 Limited to Half Effect 2, 3pts)
FAST HEALING: Panacea can make a Recovery Check (see page
15) from being Injured by resting for one Turn (taking no
actions) and from being Wounded after four minutes, rather than a day. She has a total +5 Bonus on Recovery Checks
(including her Stamina Rank).

My guesses are that Regeneration is completely removed and replaced with whatever fast healing is, speeding up recovery rolls instead of automatically healing, and that Healing is actually ALWAYS limited to 1/scene so it's not actually Limited flaw (which would be an array of 16,8, and 1, which is just really really bad) but I don't know how the numbers work.

Unfortunately my character also has Regeneration, so I suppose I'll have to try and make sense of the above when I have the time and focus (or possibly just spend the points on something else, maybe I'll boost his immortality, so he just resurrects quickly instead? :smalltongue: ).

We really don't have all the new rules so there's some gray area. To handle it I'll bump the point-total from 120 to 150. Also recruitment is extended a week (until the 17th).

When I looked at how Recovery had changed that's when it hits home how the combat system has shifted to something more Iron-Age. The perfect system for Wolverine, Deadpool and Punisher.

Batcathat
2024-02-08, 03:25 PM
The more I thought about it, the more I liked the morbid quality of Cthul-Lad being as fragile as anyone else but quickly resurrecting so I've removed his regeneration and boosted his immortality quite a bit. I have an idea of what to do with rest of that generous increase in PP, but we'll see how it works out in practice. :smalltongue:

EDIT: On an unrelated note, on seeing three of my posts close together, it seems like I really overuse this little guy: :smalltongue:

Rook.Gamer
2024-02-08, 08:27 PM
I have Quarry stated out just been having issues with getting him into a Myth Weavers sheet. I will post him here as soon as I get to my desktop.

Rook.Gamer
2024-02-09, 02:37 AM
Name: Quarry PL 8 (150 pts)
Normal Identity: Elliot Bourne

Abilities (12 pts)

Strength 0/10
Agility 2
Fighting 0
Awareness 1
Stamina 2/10
Dexterity 0
Intelligence 1
Presence 0

Skills (11 pts)

Acrobatics* (Agi) +2
Athletics (Str) +10
Close Combat: Unarmed (Ftg) +2/+6 • 1 pts
Computers (Int) +1
Deception (Pre) +0
Driving (Dex) +0
Electronics (Int) +1
Expertise* (Pop Culture) (Int) +3 • 1 pts
Expertise* (Science) (Int) +5 • 2 pts
Insight (Awe) +3 • 1 pts
Intimidation (Pre) +0/+1
Investigation* (Int) +1
Mechanics (Int). +1
Perception (Awe) +5 • 2 pts
Persuasion (Pre) +0
Ranged Combat (Throwning)(Dex) +6 • 3 pts
Sleight of Hand (Dex) +0
Stealth (Agi) +2
Technology* (Int) +3 • 1 pts
Thievery (Dex) +0
Treatment (Int) +0

Feats (5 pts)

Diehard
Equipment: iPhone,
Improved Initiative
Improvised Weapon
Interpose

Powers (109 pts)

Tremorsense: Senses 4 (Touch, Acute, Extended 2, Ranged) Limited(only through a common surface) • 2 pt

Magic Resistance: Immunity 10 (Magic effects) Half effect • 5 pts

Elemental Acolyte: Immunity 10 (Earth effects) • 10 pts

Regeneration 10 (remove -1 toughness/round) Source (In contact with the Earth) • 5 pts
AP: Healing 4 Source (In contact with the Earth), Stabilize • 5 pts

Stone Form (Activation: Move -1 pt) • 86 pts
Growth 2 (8 ft tall) (+2 Str, +2 Sta, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge /Parry) • 4 pts
Growth 3 (Increased Density only, 3200 lbs - does not modify defenses, size, speed, or skills) (+3 Str, +3 Sta, +3 Mass) • 6 pts
Enhanced Fighting +4 • 8 pts
Enhanced Strength +5 • 10 pts
Enhanced Stamina +3 • 6 pts

Elemental Fury: All-out Attack, Power Attack, Takedown 2 • 4 pts

Invulnerability: Impervious on Toughness • 10 pts
Being of Stone: Immunity 9 (critical hits, disease, environmental(high pressure, radiation, vacuum), poison, suffocation) • 9 pts
Elemental Resistance: Immunity 35 (damage from air, cold, electricity, fire, heat, ice or water) Half effect • 18 pts

Strength Power Array
AP Thunderclap: Affliction 10 (Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned), Area (Cone), Limited Degree • 1 pts
AP Groundstomp: Damage 8, Area (Burst 30’ rad), Limited ( targets must be in contact with the same surface) • 1 pts

Unstoppable: Burrowing 8 (16 mph) • 8 pts
AP: Leaping 7 (900 ft - 60 mph) • 1 pts
AP: Speed 5 (60 mph) • 1 pts

Offense

Initiative +6
Unarmed Combat: +6
Thrown Object: +6

Defense (13 pts)

Dodge: +7/+6 (-1 from size) • 5 pts
Parry: +3/+6 (-1 from size) • 3 pt
Fortitude: +2/+10 • 0 pts
Toughness: +2/+10 (Impervious) • 0 pts
Will: +6 • 5 pts

Total: 12 + 11 + 5 + 109 + 13 = 150

Description

Elliot is a fairly typical looking high school student, if a bit on the small side for his age. He has sandy blond hair and hazel eyes. He typically wears hand me down T-shirts and jeans. His favorite shirts are ones his older brothers got from one concert or another. Mostly because he thinks they help look cool but also because he loves what he calls classic music.

Quarry is a massive figure of dark stone standing just under 8 feet tall and over 4 feet wide. His skin appears as worn stone reflecting those of the Henge when he was originally granted his powers.

Background

Elliot was on a family vacation in England. He and his family were part of a tour group visiting Stonehenge when a thunderstorm quickly rolled in. Elliot had been off running around the fields when the tour guides were calling for everyone to return to the buses to wait out the storm. By the time he realized what was happening he was running through the monument as lightning crashed down around him. Just before he exited the ring of largest stones a bolt of lightning striking one of the stones arced out connecting to Elliot. He became infused with ancient fey energies that the stones had collected and stored over millennia transforming him into a stone elemental embodying the stones themselves.

Complications

Motivation: Doing Good, Thrills
Prejudice: Teenager
Accident: Quarry is big, heavy and strong and sometimes things get broken.
Honor: Elliot has been infused with ancient magics and fragments of old spirits that carry with them echos of an old code that he feels compelled to uphold sometimes even when he’s not transformed
Secret Identity
Relationships: Family (mom, dad, three brothers)
Responsibilities: School

Edit: updated to include the full 150 pts

Benoojian
2024-02-09, 10:58 AM
I strongly suspect that Impervious is not a thing in this edition based on the QuickStart characters and the new damage mechanics. Two of them instead have the unique power Invulnerability which lets them get a 2nd degree success to take no damage. Not sure of the point value tho yet.

Edit: In other news I think I’ve got the math to work out for Regeneration, which suggests the default rules are that you can’t take actions while regenerating and that it only affects lethal damage by default and as one user pointed out is based on time rank rather than per minute. Also 1 per rank same as regular regeneration.

JeminiZero
2024-02-09, 05:11 PM
We really don't have all the new rules so there's some gray area. To handle it I'll bump the point-total from 120 to 150.

I'm guessing the PL increases to 10 as well?

More PP is always welcome, but it does make it tricky for anyone wanting to use one of the pre-mades.

Dodge: +7/+6 (-1 from size) • 5 pts
Parry: +2/+6 (-1 from size) • 2 pt
Fortitude: +2/+10 • 0 pts
Toughness: +2/+10 (Impervious) • 0 pts
Will: +8 • 7 pts

This seems to be built for PL8. In which case, Fortitude + Will cannot exceed PL x2.

On Recovery Checks, I just realized something else: Wounded in Valiant includes the Disabled condition. This imposes a penalty die on all checks, including the recovery check. If your Stamina isn't 5+, you likely have to make several recovery checks before Wounded is removed. Which translates to several days of downtime, unless the GM allows a lot of scene switching for repeated Heals.

Thinking about it a bit more, the only way to reliably remove Wounded condition from a team (without scene switching shenanigans) is a power like this:

Accelerated Recovery (21 PP)
*Abominations can channel their biological energies into accelerated regeneration when out of combat. They can even share this ability with others.
*Regeneration: 6 ranks @ 3 PP per rank
*Extras: Duration increased to Continuous (+1), Affects Others (+1)
+ *Wounded: 6 ranks (1 day > 30 minutes)
*Flat Extras: Persistent, Regrowth, Progression (x1, affects 2 others through Touch)

Duration is changed to continuous, so the power remains active while you rest.

Anyone who wants to submit Panacea (or a similar dedicated healer) is free to copy this idea. :smalltongue:

Rook.Gamer
2024-02-09, 05:45 PM
Yes JeminiZero he was built for PL 8. I hadn’t seen the change of point total. But I assume the caps are still PL 8.

I realized my mistake on his Will as I was considering how to spend those last few points. Thanks for checking.

Benoojian
2024-02-09, 06:23 PM
I statted out Ace as well, since the only missing piece for him was the new Invulnerability power. It appears to cost a very strange 12 points.

Also like 3 of the characters have higher toughness than stamina without having the protection power, so I think another change for Valiant is that you can straight up buy toughness like any other stat.

Is it weird that I'm enjoying trying to excavate rules changes from the limited information in the quickstart?

Rook.Gamer
2024-02-09, 07:07 PM
So replacing his impervious with the new 12 invulnerability isn’t too bad. Then I was planning on using the beginning point boost
To give him some regenerative power but it sounds like everyone will just be taking high levels in immortality. This suggests to me that we really don’t have a good grasp of the healing mechanics due to our limited information or else the new rules aren’t very super.

I too enjoy the archeological work to figure out the rules but that could take quite a bit of time and seems ripe for contention.
Maybe, SwordCoastTaxi, you could specifically state the changes to 3E you want to make based on the information at hand and leave the rest (healing and regen for example) as is to have everyone on the same footing. It seems like everyone is making their own characters at the moment.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-10, 12:02 AM
Sorry folks been sick recently but my meds are kicking in. The quickstart is pretty limited obviously and I'm not a fan of how the pregens were written. Would using the original (3e) Regeneration, Healing and Impervious work better for you? That's how I created my NPCs but let me know what feels right. The plus with M&M is you can create and use any kind of power as long as it doesn't break the game.

Rook.Gamer
2024-02-10, 01:04 AM
I hope you fell better soon. I like that approach. We can always make adjustments later if the new rules don’t mesh as well with the old ones.

JeminiZero
2024-02-10, 04:17 AM
Get well soon.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-10, 05:43 AM
The bigger issue is whatever's happening with this site (obvious connectivity problems). Until they get that resolved I won't be starting this so players have time to make supers.

Batcathat
2024-02-10, 07:45 AM
The bigger issue is whatever's happening with this site (obvious connectivity problems). Until they get that resolved I won't be starting this so players have time to make supers.

Yeah, I hope both you and the site will feel better soon.

So are we going with the original versions of those powers and the extra PP? Or original versions and no extra PP? I'm fine with either, as long as I know which it is.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-10, 09:03 AM
Yeah, I hope both you and the site will feel better soon.

So are we going with the original versions of those powers and the extra PP? Or original versions and no extra PP? I'm fine with either, as long as I know which it is.

You get the extra 30pp and because the quickstart doesn't provide depth to how powers have changed, you can use the core 3e rules for powers and advantages. Hope this works.

Rook.Gamer
2024-02-10, 11:53 AM
Excellent! I will put some of those points into a regen/healing ability as I was hoping to and maybe expand a bit more of his stone form.

JeminiZero
2024-02-10, 03:41 PM
You get the extra 30pp and because the quickstart doesn't provide depth to how powers have changed, you can use the core 3e rules for powers and advantages. Hope this works.

Are we being bumped up to PL10, or is this 150PP at PL8?

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-10, 07:05 PM
Are we being bumped up to PL10, or is this 150PP at PL8?

PL8 with 150PP should work for us, I think.

Benoojian
2024-02-10, 10:41 PM
I am officially putting in a request to play Panacea from the Quickstart. She will use the original versions of Healing and Regeneration.

With the extra points I shored up her defenses a bit and gave her a limited immortality(she is defeated by faraday cages), and also gave her a couple extra advantages to make her dangerous in a fist fight even against a stronger opponent. I did give her the new Invulnerability power, though limited so that other electricity users can bypass it.

I am still in the process of transferring everything to a mythweavers sheet, since I used a fillable pdf to do some of the math for me. Here's the sheet (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P1tFpQ9A7NN7Ud5R_2TH537mO1pe6BxX/view?usp=sharing) for now, though you'll have to download in order to view it properly.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-11, 06:30 AM
I am officially putting in a request to play Panacea from the Quickstart. She will use the original versions of Healing and Regeneration.

With the extra points I shored up her defenses a bit and gave her a limited immortality(she is defeated by faraday cages), and also gave her a couple extra advantages to make her dangerous in a fist fight even against a stronger opponent. I did give her the new Invulnerability power, though limited so that other electricity users can bypass it.

I am still in the process of transferring everything to a mythweavers sheet, since I used a fillable pdf to do some of the math for me. Here's the sheet (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uw4hsUB5-MC82psBNhPdCQr75ntrnwJM/view?usp=sharing) for now, though you'll have to download in order to view it properly.

That's fine with a few caveats:

Please change her hero and real name since you're altering the character.
She's over the PL8 attack-defense cap (16). Please lower her Strength or her Close Combat bonus.
I couldn't make out the power you added "Drain Their Fighting Spirit". The format cut it off. Can you repost the power here please?

Benoojian
2024-02-11, 12:55 PM
Changing her name to Bioshock

The +14 was a typo, it is actually +12 and Damage 4, though I did have Protection 4 and defensive roll which did break PL, whoops. Gonna redirect 6 points and reduce Proc to 1. Added immunity to alteration effects, her electric field interferes with anyone trying to shapeshift her and 2 more ranks in persuasion.

Reposting the entire power section and advantage section since more is cut off when you view in google

BIO-MANIPULATION Array 19pts : Panacea can perform one of the following effects per Turn as a Standard Action:
• ACCELERATED HEALING: Touching a character, Panacea
starting with the subject’s least severe condition, and working towards the most severe. (Healing Rank 8, 16pts)
• ADRENAL SURGE: Panacea gains a +12 bonus to her Athletics and Acrobatics
Checks and gains a Land Speed of 500m a round. The bonus is reduced by 1 and the increased speed down to the next rank at the end of each of her
Turns until it is gone. (Enhanced Skill Rank 12, Activation, Fading Link Speed 6, Activation, Fading 5pts)
every minute to eliminate the Incapacitated Condition. (Affliction Rank 8 Ranged 16pts)
• DRAIN THEIR FIGHTING SPIRIT: Roll a Ranged Attack Check against a target. On a
hit, they are required to succeed on a DC 18 Will Resistance Check
if they fail, reduce their fighting stat by 1/2 the difference between 18 and their result, min 1, max 8 (Weaken Rank 8, Ranged, 16pts)
BIOELECTRIC REJUVENATION: If Panacea is killed she will return to life after 1 day, unless trapped in a Faraday cage or otherwise has her electromagnetic signature isolated from other living things (Immortality Rank 5, Limited 5 pts)
NEAR-INVULNERABILITY: If Panacea gets two or more Degrees of Success on a Damage
Resistance Check, she takes no Damage Conditions from it, unless it is an Electricity or Lightning effect, in which case she takes the normal Bruise or Injury. (Limited, 6pts)
BIO PATHOLOGY: Running a current through her own body at all times, Panacea is tougher than she looks Protection 1 (Permanent 2pts)
ENHANCED IMMUNE SYSTEM: Panacea is immune to diseases,
toxins, and alteration effects and can survive twice as long as normal without food
or water.(Immunity Rank 9 Limited to Half Effect 2, 8pts)
FAST HEALING: Panacea automatically Recovers 1 damage condition at the start of each of her turns, though a damage condition caused by a lightning or electric effect takes 2 turns to lift (Regeneration Rank 10, Limited 5 8pts)
LIFE-SENSE: Panacea can sense living beings nearby with a DC
10 Perception Check. The DC increases by +1 per 3 meters distance. She can also sense their overall health and any Damage
Conditions they have with two or more Degrees of Success on
the Perception Check. (Senses Detect Extended Analytical Acute Rank 5 5pts)

DEFENSIVE ATTACK: When making an attack, Panacea can
take up to a –5 penalty on Attack Checks to gain an equal
bonus to Dodge and Parry. The changes last until the start
of her next turn.
DEFENSIVE ROLL: As a Free Action for each Turn, Panacea can
give herself a +3 Bonus on Toughness Checks to resist
Damage.
IMPROVED TRIP: When Panacea makes a TRIP attack (see
page 12) she has no Penalty to the Attack Check, and her
opponent does not get an opportunity to Trip her.
INSTANT UP: Panacea can perform the STAND Action (see page
12) without an Acrobatics Check or becoming Hindered
AGILE FEINT: You can use your Acrobatics bonus or movement speed
rank in place of Deception to feint and trick in combat as if
your skill bonus or speed rank were your Deception bonus
(see the Deception skill description). Your opponent opposes the attempt with Acrobatics or Insight (whichever
is better)
ALL-OUT ATTACK hen you make an all-out attack (see Maneuvers, page
197) you can take a penalty of up to –5 on your active defenses (Dodge and Parry) and add the same number (up
to +5) to your attack bonus.
POWER ATTACK When you make a power attack (see Maneuvers, page
198) you can take a penalty of up to –5 on your attack
bonus and add the same number (up to +5) to the effect
bonus of your attack
MOVE-BY ACTION When taking a standard action and a move action you can
move both before and after your standard action, provided the total distance moved isn’t greater than your normal
movement speed

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-11, 03:53 PM
Changing her name to Bioshock

The +14 was a typo, it is actually +12 and Damage 4, though I did have Protection 4 and defensive roll which did break PL, whoops. Gonna redirect 6 points and reduce Proc to 1. Added immunity to alteration effects, her electric field interferes with anyone trying to shapeshift her and 2 more ranks in persuasion.

Reposting the entire power section and advantage section since more is cut off when you view in google

BIO-MANIPULATION Array 19pts : Panacea can perform one of the following effects per Turn as a Standard Action:
• ACCELERATED HEALING: Touching a character, Panacea
starting with the subject’s least severe condition, and working towards the most severe. (Healing Rank 8, 16pts)
• ADRENAL SURGE: Panacea gains a +12 bonus to her Athletics and Acrobatics
Checks and gains a Land Speed of 500m a round. The bonus is reduced by 1 and the increased speed down to the next rank at the end of each of her
Turns until it is gone. (Enhanced Skill Rank 12, Activation, Fading Link Speed 6, Activation, Fading 5pts)
every minute to eliminate the Incapacitated Condition. (Affliction Rank 8 Ranged 16pts)
• DRAIN THEIR FIGHTING SPIRIT: Roll a Ranged Attack Check against a target. On a
hit, they are required to succeed on a DC 18 Will Resistance Check
if they fail, reduce their fighting stat by 1/2 the difference between 18 and their result, min 1, max 8 (Weaken Rank 8, Ranged, 16pts)
BIOELECTRIC REJUVENATION: If Panacea is killed she will return to life after 1 day, unless trapped in a Faraday cage or otherwise has her electromagnetic signature isolated from other living things (Immortality Rank 5, Limited 5 pts)
NEAR-INVULNERABILITY: If Panacea gets two or more Degrees of Success on a Damage
Resistance Check, she takes no Damage Conditions from it, unless it is an Electricity or Lightning effect, in which case she takes the normal Bruise or Injury. (Limited, 6pts)
BIO PATHOLOGY: Running a current through her own body at all times, Panacea is tougher than she looks Protection 1 (Permanent 2pts)
ENHANCED IMMUNE SYSTEM: Panacea is immune to diseases,
toxins, and alteration effects and can survive twice as long as normal without food
or water.(Immunity Rank 9 Limited to Half Effect 2, 8pts)
FAST HEALING: Panacea automatically Recovers 1 damage condition at the start of each of her turns, though a damage condition caused by a lightning or electric effect takes 2 turns to lift (Regeneration Rank 10, Limited 5 8pts)
LIFE-SENSE: Panacea can sense living beings nearby with a DC
10 Perception Check. The DC increases by +1 per 3 meters distance. She can also sense their overall health and any Damage
Conditions they have with two or more Degrees of Success on
the Perception Check. (Senses Detect Extended Analytical Acute Rank 5 5pts)

DEFENSIVE ATTACK: When making an attack, Panacea can
take up to a –5 penalty on Attack Checks to gain an equal
bonus to Dodge and Parry. The changes last until the start
of her next turn.
DEFENSIVE ROLL: As a Free Action for each Turn, Panacea can
give herself a +3 Bonus on Toughness Checks to resist
Damage.
IMPROVED TRIP: When Panacea makes a TRIP attack (see
page 12) she has no Penalty to the Attack Check, and her
opponent does not get an opportunity to Trip her.
INSTANT UP: Panacea can perform the STAND Action (see page
12) without an Acrobatics Check or becoming Hindered
AGILE FEINT: You can use your Acrobatics bonus or movement speed
rank in place of Deception to feint and trick in combat as if
your skill bonus or speed rank were your Deception bonus
(see the Deception skill description). Your opponent opposes the attempt with Acrobatics or Insight (whichever
is better)
ALL-OUT ATTACK hen you make an all-out attack (see Maneuvers, page
197) you can take a penalty of up to –5 on your active defenses (Dodge and Parry) and add the same number (up
to +5) to your attack bonus.
POWER ATTACK When you make a power attack (see Maneuvers, page
198) you can take a penalty of up to –5 on your attack
bonus and add the same number (up to +5) to the effect
bonus of your attack
MOVE-BY ACTION When taking a standard action and a move action you can
move both before and after your standard action, provided the total distance moved isn’t greater than your normal
movement speed

The changes are fine by me :smallsmile:

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-11, 05:05 PM

Concept: An Abomination pretending to be a Nerd, pretending to be a Magic Girl (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NonindicativeName).
Civilian Name: Jackson Cottonfield
Legal Status: American Citizen with no Criminal Record
Hero Name: Shining Azure Sparkling Star Magic Girl Jenova (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OverlyLongName) (or more commonly just Jenova)
Gender: Jackson is physically male. Magic Girl Jenova is physically female.
Height: 1.8m / 5'9"
Weight: 64 kg / 141 lb

Backstory:
It's a story as old as man's greed. A cabal of neophyte mages stumble upon a tome of ancient magic. It described a ritual which would call an eldritch Abomination from the far realms, and petition it for a wish, in exchange for a fortune's worth of arcane reagents... and a sacrificed soul.

The cabal decided they would rather like a wish, and run off to acquire the requisite human sacrifice. After some consideration, they grabbed a helpless schmuck which nobody would notice was missing: Jackson Cottonfield, ultra-nerdish comics and games shop clerk, and the biggest social outcast within a million miles.

http://i.imgur.com/hA7kEC0.png
-"Mai Waifu is Best Girl."

Thus, the poor fool was kidnapped, marinated in expensive arcane reagents for a week, and then stabbed atop an eldritch altar. In his dying moments, Jackson saw a portal open, and an Eldritch Abomination from the far realms crawled through.
https://i.imgur.com/rGr9w4x.png

However there was a complication: If something seems too good to be true, it usually is. The cabal had failed to read the fine print, and the reason why such a powerful ritual was rarely used, even by the most evil of mages, was because it granted the wish of the Sacrifice. And the nature of the ritual prevented any form of mind control from subverting the process.

Thus, Jackson found his spirit speaking with the Abomination. "State your wish human, and if it pleases me, I shall grant it. But after that, I will immediately consume your soul. Of course, you may not make any wish that would deny me possession of your soul."

Jackson, having spent the past week marinating in arcane reagents, had a lot of time to ponder about what wish he would make, if given the chance. "I wish to fuse our souls together, yours and mine as one."

The Abomination considered the request. "If we are fused, then I technically retain ownership of your soul. Thus, this wish is permissible. And it would anchor me to this plane of existence, allowing me to remain here indefinitely. Very well. But be warned, while your soul will survive the process, your mind might not."

"Er... wait, how about if I wish for..."

"It is too late human. The wish is made, and I have accepted. Prepare yourself for eternity."

Of course, the cabal had no idea what was supposed to happen, let alone what was currently going on. They assumed that the Abomination burrowing into Jackson's corpse, meant that the sacrifice was acceptable to the monster, or something.

Thus, when the Abomination-fused Jackson shattered its bindings and stood up from the altar, they believed everything was going according to plan, and started to petition the creature for the wish they sought.

What they got instead was a swift thrashing, and a mind wipe ritual.

In the days that followed, Jackson seemingly resumed normal life. But once night approaches, and darkness covers the city. The Abomination assumes the form of Jackson's idealized heroine, becoming Magic Girl Jenova!

https://i.imgur.com/BQonG7l.png

Complications
Motivation-Fame: Now that he has the powers he's always dreamed about, Jackson has decided the best way to use them is to amass fame, riches, and glory.

Motivation-Acceptance: Jenova on the other hand, seeks to gain allies in her new home, to help watch her back. And the best way to do so was to fight crime as a bombshell Magic Girl with an overly long name. (This might not seem terribly logical, but keep in mind Jenova's entire knowledge of Earth comes from ultra-nerd Jackson.)

Secret Identity: Magic Girl Jenova is secretly Jackson Cottonfield.

Responsibility-Job: Jackson is (still) a store clerk at the Comics & Games shop.

Relationship-Family: Jackson lives in the basement of the Cottonfield family home.

Appearance
Jackson is a typical scrawny nerd, of average height, with short black hair and brown eyes. His most prominent feature is a comically large pair of glasses (which is only there for show, now that his eyesight is perfect).

Jenova appears as a tall, slim woman, of the same height as Jackson (which is taller-than-average for women). Unlike Jackson, she has flowing silver hair and burning gold eyes. Although she technically does not need a mask, she wears one anyway. As Jackson's idealized heroine, Jenova is an astounding beauty.

Summary
Initiative +0
Unarmed: Close +8, Damage +8
Eldritch Bolt: Range +10, Damage +6
Psychic Lash: Area, Will +8
Toughness 8
Dodge 8
Parry 8
Fortitude 8
Will 8

Abilities (32 PP)

Strength 0 (+8)
Stamina 8
Agility 0
Dexterity 0
Fighting 0
Intellect 2
Awareness 6
Presence 0
Total 16

Abomination Biology (42 PP)
(All powers below have the descriptor)

Soul-Fused (1 PP)
*Feature: As a fusion of 2 Souls, Jenova counts as both a human of earth and an Abomination from beyond, depending on which is more advantageous to her. For example, as a native human, she cannot be banished from the Earth dimension, and cannot be contained in a magic circle for outsiders. As an Abomination, she will not be affected by powers which specifically target humans only.

Abomination Flight (3 PP)
*Descriptor: Glowing Aurora
*1 rank @ 2 PP per rank (30 ft/move, 4 MPH)
*Flat Extra: Aquatic

Malleable Flesh (8 PP)

Base: Jackson Cottonfield (6 PP + 2 AE)
*This is Jenova's civilian disguise
*Morph: 1 rank @ 6 PP per rank (Continuous Duration) One Form: Jackson Cottonfield

AE: Inertial Booster (6 PP)
*Enhanced Flight: 3 ranks @ 2 PP per rank (total 4 ranks, 250ft/move, 30MPH)

AE: Amorphous Physiology (6 PP)
*Insubstantial: 1 rank @ 5 PP per rank (Fluid)
+ *Flat Extras: Selective

Immunity (5 PP)
*2 Suffocation
*1 Poison
*1 Disease
*1 Aging

Blindsight-Biological Radar (3 PP)
*Accurate (2) Radio (1, Ranged Radius Acute)

Abomination Powers (22 PP)
Base: Eldritch Might (21 PP + 1 AE)
*Enhanced Strength: 8 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
*Flat Extras: Accurate-Unarmed (x4)
*Feature: Improvised Weapon (x1, as per the advantage)

AE: Biological Mana (21 PP)
*Feature (x21): Abominations naturally generate mana. Can be used to power anything that requires mana, including Spell Like Abilities in the Magic Powers section.

[b]Magic Powers (9 PP)
(All powers below have the [Magic] descriptor)

Detect Magic (4 PP)
*Ranged, Acute, Analytical, Detect Magic

Spell Like Abilities (5 PP)
These powers are additional AEs off the Abomination Powers array.

Eldritch Bolt (21 PP)
*Blast: 6 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
*Flat Extra: Accurate (x5), Affects Insubstantial (x2), Incurable, Precise (Partial Cover)

These next 4 powers may be swapped for something else depending on who else gets in. E.g. if a dedicated Healer gets in, I will swap Healing for something else:

Shared Invisibility/Teleport (21 PP)
12 PP*Concealment: 5 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
* *All Vision (4), Normal Hearing (1)
* *Extras: Affects Others
* *Flaws: Passive
* *Flat Extra: Progression (x1) Affect 2 others by touch
* *Feature: Targets can still see and hear one another, but not creatures using concealment from other sources (to prevent this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0089.html) from happening)
2 PP*Conceal Flight: Flat Extras Applied to Flight - Subtle (x2)
7 PP*Teleport: 1 ranks @ 5 PP per rank (Extended Distance Rank 9 - 2 miles)
* *Extras: Accurate, Affects Others, Extended Only, Easy
* *Flat Extra: Subtle (x2)

AE: Healing (21 PP)
*Healing: 8 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
*Flat Extra: Persistent, Stabilize, Restorative (x3)

AE: Time Stop (21 PP)
*Boost Flight: 5 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
*Quickness: 7 ranks @ 1 PP per rank
*Utility Strength (Limit-Does not apply to damage): 3 ranks @ 1 PP per rank
*Feature-Quick Pick Up: Pick up and put down unattended objects and willing/unconscious creatures as free actions

AE: Psychic Lash (21 PP)
*Close Range Affliction: 8 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
*Will Save vs 1. Impaired, 2. Compelled, 3. Controlled
*Extras: Area 30 ft Shapeable
*Flat Extras: Reversible, Subtle x2, Insidious
*Feature-Showy Display: May optionally include a display of a spectral tentacle reaching out to the targets.

Advantages (9 PP)
*Attractive (x2)
*Skill Mastery: Expertise-Magic
*Ritualist
*Power Attack
*Die Hard
*Prone Fighting
*Takedown Attack (x1)
*Jack of All Trades

Skills (10 PP / 20 SP)
*Expertise Magic 16 (+2 Intellect = 18)
*Investigate 4 (+2 Intellect = 6)
*Perception 0 (+6 Awareness = 6)
*Insight 0 (+6 Awareness = 6)

Defences (18 PP)
*8 Dodge (+0 Agility = 8)
*8 Parry (+0 Fighting = 8)
*0 Fortitude (+8 Stamina = 8)
*2 Will (+6 Awareness = 8)

Total: 32 Abilities + 42 Abomination Biology + 9 Magic Powers + 9 Advantages + 10 Skills + 18 Defences = 120

Are you converting MG to 3e? Where do you want to go with MG Jenova? Cool name!

I added the completed apps to the OP.

JeminiZero
2024-02-11, 06:38 PM
Are you converting MG to 3e?

Jenova is 3E. Although not 3.2E Valiant, since her healing is based on the d20herosrd version.

The current post is only 120PP/PL8. I'm still mulling about what to do with her excess points.

Where do you want to go with MG Jenova?
Mechanics wise, Mages are among the most versatile build possible since Magic can do virtually anything. Hence she will aim to provide whatever the party doesn't have. E.g. Mind Control if there is no Psychic, Quickness if there is no Speedster, etc. The current post has Healing, but I will swap it if Panacea BioShock gets in.

Plot wise, since this is a one-shot, I don't foresee any long term character developments. But if there were, Jackson Cottonfield would likely be trying to crawl his way up the social ladder.

Cool name!
Thanks!

angelpalm
2024-02-11, 07:04 PM
Is it too late to make a character?

Batcathat
2024-02-12, 02:26 AM

The application deadline was extended until the 17th, so that should be fine (although the GM obviously has the final say). If you do, note that the amount of PP was increased to 150.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-12, 05:22 AM
No. There's two completed apps and three more are needed.

The application deadline was extended until the 17th, so that should be fine (although the GM obviously has the final say). If you do, note that the amount of PP was increased to 150.
All correct thanks.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-12, 08:38 PM

Concept: An Abomination pretending to be a Nerd, pretending to be a Magic Girl (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NonindicativeName).
Civilian Name: Jackson Cottonfield
Legal Status: American Citizen with no Criminal Record
Hero Name: Shining Azure Sparkling Star Magic Girl Jenova (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OverlyLongName) (or more commonly just Jenova)
Gender: Jackson is physically male. Magic Girl Jenova is physically female.
Height: 1.8m / 5'9"
Weight: 64 kg / 141 lb

Backstory:
It's a story as old as man's greed. A cabal of neophyte mages stumble upon a tome of ancient magic. It described a ritual which would call an eldritch Abomination from the far realms, and petition it for a wish, in exchange for a fortune's worth of arcane reagents... and a sacrificed soul.

The cabal decided they would rather like a wish, and run off to acquire the requisite human sacrifice. After some consideration, they grabbed a helpless schmuck which nobody would notice was missing: Jackson Cottonfield, ultra-nerdish comics and games shop clerk, and the biggest social outcast within a million miles.

http://i.imgur.com/hA7kEC0.png
-"Mai Waifu is Best Girl."

Thus, the poor fool was kidnapped, marinated in expensive arcane reagents for a week, and then stabbed atop an eldritch altar. In his dying moments, Jackson saw a portal open, and an Eldritch Abomination from the far realms crawled through.
https://i.imgur.com/rGr9w4x.png

However there was a complication: If something seems too good to be true, it usually is. The cabal had failed to read the fine print, and the reason why such a powerful ritual was rarely used, even by the most evil of mages, was because it granted the wish of the Sacrifice. And the nature of the ritual prevented any form of mind control from subverting the process.

Thus, Jackson found his spirit speaking with the Abomination. "State your wish human, and if it pleases me, I shall grant it. But after that, I will immediately consume your soul. Of course, you may not make any wish that would deny me possession of your soul."

Jackson, having spent the past week marinating in arcane reagents, had a lot of time to ponder about what wish he would make, if given the chance. "I wish to fuse our souls together, yours and mine as one."

The Abomination considered the request. "If we are fused, then I technically retain ownership of your soul. Thus, this wish is permissible. And it would anchor me to this plane of existence, allowing me to remain here indefinitely. Very well. But be warned, while your soul will survive the process, your mind might not."

"Er... wait, how about if I wish for..."

"It is too late human. The wish is made, and I have accepted. Prepare yourself for eternity."

Of course, the cabal had no idea what was supposed to happen, let alone what was currently going on. They assumed that the Abomination burrowing into Jackson's corpse, meant that the sacrifice was acceptable to the monster, or something.

Thus, when the Abomination-fused Jackson shattered its bindings and stood up from the altar, they believed everything was going according to plan, and started to petition the creature for the wish they sought.

What they got instead was a swift thrashing, and a mind wipe ritual.

In the days that followed, Jackson seemingly resumed normal life. But once night approaches, and darkness covers the city. The Abomination assumes the form of Jackson's idealized heroine, becoming Magic Girl Jenova!

https://i.imgur.com/BQonG7l.png

Complications
Motivation-Fame: Now that he has the powers he's always dreamed about, Jackson has decided the best way to use them is to amass fame, riches, and glory.

Motivation-Acceptance: Jenova on the other hand, seeks to gain allies in her new home, to help watch her back. And the best way to do so was to fight crime as a bombshell Magic Girl with an overly long name. (This might not seem terribly logical, but keep in mind Jenova's entire knowledge of Earth comes from ultra-nerd Jackson.)

Secret Identity: Magic Girl Jenova is secretly Jackson Cottonfield.

Responsibility-Job: Jackson is (still) a store clerk at the Comics & Games shop.

Relationship-Family: Jackson lives in the basement of the Cottonfield family home.

Appearance
Jackson is a typical scrawny nerd, of average height, with short black hair and brown eyes. His most prominent feature is a comically large pair of glasses (which is only there for show, now that his eyesight is perfect).

Jenova appears as a tall, slim woman, of the same height as Jackson (which is taller-than-average for women). Unlike Jackson, she has flowing silver hair and burning gold eyes. Although she technically does not need a mask, she wears one anyway. As Jackson's idealized heroine, Jenova is an astounding beauty.

Summary
Initiative +0
Unarmed: Close +8, Damage +8
Eldritch Bolt: Range +10, Damage +6
Psychic Lash: Area, Will +8
Toughness 8
Dodge 8
Parry 8
Fortitude 8
Will 8

Abilities (32 PP)

Strength 0 (+8)
Stamina 8
Agility 0
Dexterity 0
Fighting 0
Intellect 2
Awareness 6
Presence 0
Total 16

Abomination Biology (42 PP)
(All powers below have the descriptor)

Soul-Fused (1 PP)
*Feature: As a fusion of 2 Souls, Jenova counts as both a human of earth and an Abomination from beyond, depending on which is more advantageous to her. For example, as a native human, she cannot be banished from the Earth dimension, and cannot be contained in a magic circle for outsiders. As an Abomination, she will not be affected by powers which specifically target humans only.

Abomination Flight (3 PP)
*Descriptor: Glowing Aurora
*1 rank @ 2 PP per rank (30 ft/move, 4 MPH)
*Flat Extra: Aquatic

Malleable Flesh (8 PP)

Base: Jackson Cottonfield (6 PP + 2 AE)
*This is Jenova's civilian disguise
*Morph: 1 rank @ 6 PP per rank (Continuous Duration) One Form: Jackson Cottonfield

AE: Inertial Booster (6 PP)
*Enhanced Flight: 3 ranks @ 2 PP per rank (total 4 ranks, 250ft/move, 30MPH)

AE: Amorphous Physiology (6 PP)
*Insubstantial: 1 rank @ 5 PP per rank (Fluid)
+ *Flat Extras: Selective

Immunity (5 PP)
*2 Suffocation
*1 Poison
*1 Disease
*1 Aging

Blindsight-Biological Radar (3 PP)
*Accurate (2) Radio (1, Ranged Radius Acute)

Abomination Powers (22 PP)
Base: Eldritch Might (21 PP + 1 AE)
*Enhanced Strength: 8 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
*Flat Extras: Accurate-Unarmed (x4)
*Feature: Improvised Weapon (x1, as per the advantage)

AE: Biological Mana (21 PP)
*Feature (x21): Abominations naturally generate mana. Can be used to power anything that requires mana, including Spell Like Abilities in the Magic Powers section.

[b]Magic Powers (9 PP)
(All powers below have the [Magic] descriptor)

Detect Magic (4 PP)
*Ranged, Acute, Analytical, Detect Magic

Spell Like Abilities (5 PP)
These powers are additional AEs off the Abomination Powers array.

Eldritch Bolt (21 PP)
*Blast: 6 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
*Flat Extra: Accurate (x5), Affects Insubstantial (x2), Incurable, Precise (Partial Cover)

These next 4 powers may be swapped for something else depending on who else gets in. E.g. if a dedicated Healer gets in, I will swap Healing for something else:

* *Feature: Targets can still see and hear one another, but not creatures using concealment from other sources (to prevent this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0089.html) from happening)

AE: Healing (21 PP)
*Healing: 8 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
*Flat Extra: Persistent, Stabilize, Restorative (x3)

AE: Time Stop (21 PP)
*Boost Flight: 5 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
*Quickness: 7 ranks @ 1 PP per rank
*Utility Strength (Limit-Does not apply to damage): 3 ranks @ 1 PP per rank
*Feature-Quick Pick Up: Pick up and put down unattended objects and willing/unconscious creatures as free actions

AE: Psychic Lash (21 PP)
*Close Range Affliction: 8 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
*Will Save vs 1. Impaired, 2. Compelled, 3. Controlled
*Extras: Area 30 ft Shapeable
*Flat Extras: Reversible, Subtle x2, Insidious
*Feature-Showy Display: May optionally include a display of a spectral tentacle reaching out to the targets.

Advantages (9 PP)
*Attractive (x2)
*Skill Mastery: Expertise-Magic
*Ritualist
*Power Attack
*Die Hard
*Prone Fighting
*Takedown Attack (x1)
*Jack of All Trades

Skills (10 PP / 20 SP)
*Expertise Magic 16 (+2 Intellect = 18)
*Investigate 4 (+2 Intellect = 6)
*Perception 0 (+6 Awareness = 6)
*Insight 0 (+6 Awareness = 6)

Defences (18 PP)
*8 Dodge (+0 Agility = 8)
*8 Parry (+0 Fighting = 8)
*0 Fortitude (+8 Stamina = 8)
*2 Will (+6 Awareness = 8)

Total: 32 Abilities + 42 Abomination Biology + 9 Magic Powers + 9 Advantages + 10 Skills + 18 Defences = 120

Can you drop the Healing and Time Stop powers? How does "Shared Invisibility/Teleport" work?

JeminiZero
2024-02-13, 04:04 AM
Can you drop the Healing

Sure. As mentioned, it was going to be dropped anyway if Panacea BioShock got in.

and Time Stop powers?

I could. What are your concerns? Jenova has no offence while in Time Stop. It's purely utility so that she can search places quickly and pull off high speed evacuations (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnZqB5Z75zI).

How does "Shared Invisibility/Teleport" work?

It's a container, not linked powers. They are activated separately, requiring separate actions. I.e. Jenova can use invisibility without teleport, or teleport without invisibility, or both as separate actions.

In practical terms, Jenova will use Invisibility to sneak around. She will then combine it with subtle teleport, to enter/exit places without attracting attention. This is mostly a scouting power. With Shared, she can take one willing creature along with her. Since Invisibility is passive, it will stop working once the fight starts.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-13, 06:16 AM
Magic Girl J is in then! If the group can get two more members we can get going.

RossN
2024-02-13, 07:29 AM
Ooh... I was very interested in applying but then discovered that JeminiZero already had nailed the character concept I was going for! :smallsigh::smallbiggrin:

(Well not necessarily power or background wise but 'nerdy guy who becomes a female superhero' was definitely part of it!)

JeminiZero
2024-02-13, 08:38 AM
Magic Girl J is in then! If the group can get two more members we can get going.

Cool! Do you still want me to swap out Time Stop for something else?

Ooh... I was very interested in applying but then discovered that JeminiZero already had nailed the character concept I was going for! :smallsigh::smallbiggrin:

(Well not necessarily power or background wise but 'nerdy guy who becomes a female superhero' was definitely part of it!)

Don't let me stop you. Feel free to submit something you want to play.

Batcathat
2024-02-13, 08:59 AM
It is kinda funny that we might get accidental overlap on what seems like two fairly specific concepts, namely "transformed by an eldritch abomination during a ritual" and "nerdy guy who becomes a female superhero". Great (or at least sufficiently geeky :smallwink: ) minds do think alike.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-13, 09:12 AM
Cool! Do you still want me to swap out Time Stop for something else?
Only if you want. If it's just movement it's fine.

RossN
2024-02-13, 09:19 AM
Don't let me stop you. Feel free to submit something you want to play.

Thanks! I'll try and avoid too much similarity! :smallsmile:

It is kinda funny that we might get accidental overlap on what seems like two fairly specific concepts, namely "transformed by an eldritch abomination during a ritual" and "nerdy guy who becomes a female superhero". Great (or at least sufficiently geeky :smallwink: ) minds do think alike.

Heh, indeed!

It's been a while since I've played M&M (and even that wasn't very much) so I'm trying to re-familiarise myself with the rules. I'm trying to decide between a classic speedster type, and elastic stretchy type (tempting but I'm not sure I have the rules know how to make that complex a character work) or a martial artist/weapon warrior crime fighter type.

Benoojian
2024-02-13, 04:23 PM
Only if you want. If it's just movement it's fine.

I definitely read that power combination like Zach Morris' timeouts from Saved By the Bell, where he has a few seconds to rearrange objects and give a quick aside to the 4th wall before things start back up

RossN
2024-02-13, 05:01 PM
Still working on crunch if any one has any suggestions on building a speedster. :smallsmile:

Meteor Maid
https://i.ibb.co/NKPVj88/Meteor-Maiden.jpg

In the 1940s Alicia Dupree was a young newspaper reporter who was investigating a series of strange museum robberies when she stumbled across a German plot to steal a statue supposedly belonging to Atalanta (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atalanta). Seemingly the German agents were convinced the ancient Greek artefacts had actual mystical properties! Alicia scoffed at the idea but was still determined to stop Hitler's goons. Unfortunately the Axis agents caught her and stuffed her in the crate with the statue bound for Berlin.

Fortunately Alicia was wrong. The statue was magical. Very magical. It spoke hypnotically in Alicia's mind, telling her that Atalanta's spirit lived on in her. The reporter felt infused with tremendous power and when the Germans opened up the crate they got the surprise of their life - a very angry young American woman who could move faster than sound!

Taking up the mantle of 'Meteor Maid' Alicia worked as a superheroine throughout the Second World War. She mostly operated on the home front foiling Axis spies and schemes while maintaining her identity as inquisitive "girl reporter" Alicia Dupree but being able to run at 2,000 miles an hour she was able to operate abroad often, foiling Nazi and Japanese backed plots in Central and South America to and in 1943 she worked as a foreign correspondent in London allowing Meteor Maid to work in Europe. She mostly worked alone but occasionally had adventures with other heroes including on one star-struck occasion with Captain America.

Unfortunately a mission in Germany in early 1945 went disastrously wrong and she was killed in mysterious circumstances. Though popular in her day Meteor Maid was gradually overshadowed and then totally forgotten as new heroes and villains rose to prominence.

Many decades later an American university student named James Conroy found himself incidentally entangled in the schemes of the minor supervillainess Arcana. Arcana, on the run from superheroes used her sorcery to turn a dorm party full of humans into illusionary duplicates of herself as a distraction, James included. The spell quickly wore off everyone else but James turned back, not into himself, but into a different woman - a blonde in a 1940s style super costume who had no recollection of this 'James' but answered to the name 'Alicia'. Confused she ran off - and when she ran she ran.

The following morning a very confused James woke up as himself in a motel hundreds of miles away with only the bluriest recollection of the previous night.

It would only become clear in time what had happened. James and Alicia were the same person with the former as the reincarnation of the latter. Something in Arcana's magic had triggered the transformation. Gradually over the next few weeks and days James would begin to get Alicia's old memories and Alicia's James's and they'd learn how to control the transformation from nerdy 21st century guy to 1940s superheroine and back again.

Meteor Maid was back!

Benoojian
2024-02-13, 06:02 PM
Still working on crunch if any one has any suggestions on building a speedster. :smallsmile:

Your two main ways to show a speedster attacking are the Area Extra and the Multiattack extra, though if you're going for an array you might as well take both, maybe even a couple of different Area Shapes to simulate a cyclone for a cylinder and a cone for a ping pong type attack for instance.

Remember that Speed only affects movement and Quickness only affects non-combat routine checks. You'll still need a lot of skills to take advantage of Quickness since it doesn't give a bonus, just speeds it up.

You can also create other powers and flavor them as being the effect of superspeed, such as Illusion( Limited to illusions of yourself only) to simulate moving so fast you appear to be in multiple places at once.

Flight(Limited to adjacent to surfaces) is one possibility to simulate running up buildings or across water since Speed doesn't do either by default

Being a WWII super-spy, she might benefit from a rank or two of the new Advantage, Gadget

GADGET: <Character> can produce a gadget, a temporary device with one Power Effect of Rank 8 or less, either
throwing it together from available parts or declaring he
already “happened” to have it with him. Each additional
gadget he produces after the first requires him to spend
a Hero Point first.

RossN
2024-02-13, 07:47 PM
Your two main ways to show a speedster attacking are the Area Extra and the Multiattack extra, though if you're going for an array you might as well take both, maybe even a couple of different Area Shapes to simulate a cyclone for a cylinder and a cone for a ping pong type attack for instance.

Remember that Speed only affects movement and Quickness only affects non-combat routine checks. You'll still need a lot of skills to take advantage of Quickness since it doesn't give a bonus, just speeds it up.

You can also create other powers and flavor them as being the effect of superspeed, such as Illusion( Limited to illusions of yourself only) to simulate moving so fast you appear to be in multiple places at once.

Flight(Limited to adjacent to surfaces) is one possibility to simulate running up buildings or across water since Speed doesn't do either by default

Being a WWII super-spy, she might benefit from a rank or two of the new Advantage, Gadget

GADGET: <Character> can produce a gadget, a temporary device with one Power Effect of Rank 8 or less, either
throwing it together from available parts or declaring he
already “happened” to have it with him. Each additional
gadget he produces after the first requires him to spend
a Hero Point first.

Thanks! :smallsmile:

I've been thinking I might switch things around to having the WW II era original as male and the reincarnated modern character as a normal young woman who after a weird experience found her former self's powers and memories remerging. Much as I love that Golden Era aesthetic it is probably less complicated that way!

I'll experiment with a couple of builds and take a look at other options.

Rook.Gamer
2024-02-13, 08:18 PM
Update my character post to include the full 150 point starting total.

JeminiZero
2024-02-13, 10:43 PM

Take a look at the pre-built archetype:

https://www.d20herosrd.com/character-creation/archetypes/speedster/

The pre-built stats these as:

Run On Water: Movement 1 (Water Walking), Limited to While Moving [1 point]

Run Up Walls: Movement 2 (Wall-crawling 2), Limited to While Moving [2 points]

Benoojian
2024-02-13, 11:39 PM

Oh that's better and cheaper

RossN
2024-02-14, 06:50 AM

Thanks!

Actually looking at it the pre-built speedster fits nicely into PL 8, I just have to slightly lower the defences. :smallsmile:

How does this look?

Mistral

https://i.ibb.co/JqBhQ46/Mistral.jpg

Abilities
Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 4, Dexterity 3, Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 2

Powers

Fast Attack: Damage 3 [Multiattack 5, Selective 5] Alt: Damage Area: Damage 3 (14 points)
Enhanced Defences: Enhanced Dodge 7, Enhanced Parry 7 (14 points)
Super-Speed: Speed 15, Enhanced Advantages (Improved Initiative) 3, Quickness 10, Concealment 4 [Limited to While Moving] (32 points)
Run On Water: Movement (Run On Water): Movement 2 [Water Walking, Limited to While Moving] (1 points)
Run Up Walls: Movement (Wall-crawling): Movement 2 [Wall-crawling, Limited to While Moving] (2 points)

[b]Equipment

Advantages
Beginner's Luck, Defensive Roll 3, Evasion 2, Instant Up, Move-by Action, Takedown 1, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+8), Athletics 8 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+10), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise: Pop Culture 6 (+6), Insight (+1), Intimidation (+2), Perception 8 (+9), Persuasion 6 (+8), Ranged Combat: Thrown 6 (+9), Stealth 6 (+10)

Offense
Initiative +16
Throw +9, Damage 2, Multiattack 5, Selective 5 Fast Attack +10, Damage 5

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 11
Toughness 5 (Def Roll 3), Fortitude 8, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 36 + Powers 63 + Advantages 10 + Skills 28 + Defenses 13 = Total 150

Complications

Reputation: Mistral has a reputation as a bit of an airhead, thanks to her speech patterns ("dude", "like", "whatever" as so on feature regular in her speech patterns), none to serious persona (she'll frequently comment approvingly or disapprovingly on a villain's fashion sense) and technological illiteracy ("Look out he's about to fire the, um, gizmo-thingie!")

Secret Identity: Mistral is really Jesse O'Connor, a university student. As Jesse she (or rather he) has no powers.

Power Loss: Mistral can be tricked into losing her magical powers by saying "Presto chango" which reverts her back into being Jesse. Miles can turn into Mistral by saying the same phrase but must wait an hour before being able to shift.

Relationship: Casey Wu is a classmate of Jesse's and his long time best friend along with being the only person who knows who Mistral really is. Much smarter than her bff she is essentially Jesse/Mistral's tech and research gal. They've been friends forever but their relationship is getting a little more awkward these days since Casey, a lesbian has a crush on Mistral but is strictly platonic with Jesse.

Background

'Mistral' is the name of three separate superheroines over the years, all blessed with superspeed from the same magical source, the Ancient Greek goddess of breezes Aura (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aura_(mythology)). The first was a 1940s reporter named Alicia Dupree who foiled a plot by Axis agents to steal a magical statue of the goddess and was rewarded with fantastic speed. She had an illustrious career during the Second World War but vanished on a mission inside Germany in 1945.

In the 1960s the second Mistral appeared when the statue of Aura somehow ended up in the basement of a library in Atlanta and was found by a young librarian named Emily Hill. Emily was empowered by the goddess and during the Silver Age fought injustice and intolerance and was a strong advocate for feminism and civil rights. She retired from the superhero scene in the late 1970s, dillusioned by Watergate and the Vietnam War and her powers gradually faded.

The third and current Mistral is the first male to take up the identity... or at least he was originally male. This time the statue of Aura (in it's mysterious way) had ended up in the quad of the university where Jesse O'Connor was a student (admittedly more interested in parting than studying.) One night he witnessed another student and his buddies getting way too friendly with a female friend and charged to the rescue - and nearly got killed. Fortunately the statue was nearby and intervened and Jesse, lying bruised and bloody on the grass found himself saying the words "presto chango".

Suddenly he became a she and one who could move very, very fast. The girl was rescued and the thugs sent to jail and a new superheroine was born.

Jesse now spends his normal life as a student and his secret life as the "kickass babe with superpowers" Mistral.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-14, 11:39 AM
Update my character post to include the full 150 point starting total.
Thanks for the update.

Meteor Maid
https://i.ibb.co/NKPVj88/Meteor-Maiden.jpg

In the 1940s Alicia Dupree was a young newspaper reporter who was investigating a series of strange museum robberies when she stumbled across a German plot to steal a statue supposedly belonging to Atalanta (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atalanta). Seemingly the German agents were convinced the ancient Greek artefacts had actual mystical properties! Alicia scoffed at the idea but was still determined to stop Hitler's goons. Unfortunately the Axis agents caught her and stuffed her in the crate with the statue bound for Berlin.

Fortunately Alicia was wrong. The statue was magical. Very magical. It spoke hypnotically in Alicia's mind, telling her that Atalanta's spirit lived on in her. The reporter felt infused with tremendous power and when the Germans opened up the crate they got the surprise of their life - a very angry young American woman who could move faster than sound!

Taking up the mantle of 'Meteor Maid' Alicia worked as a superheroine throughout the Second World War. She mostly operated on the home front foiling Axis spies and schemes while maintaining her identity as inquisitive "girl reporter" Alicia Dupree but being able to run at 2,000 miles an hour she was able to operate abroad often, foiling Nazi and Japanese backed plots in Central and South America to and in 1943 she worked as a foreign correspondent in London allowing Meteor Maid to work in Europe. She mostly worked alone but occasionally had adventures with other heroes including on one star-struck occasion with Captain America.

Unfortunately a mission in Germany in early 1945 went disastrously wrong and she was killed in mysterious circumstances. Though popular in her day Meteor Maid was gradually overshadowed and then totally forgotten as new heroes and villains rose to prominence.

Many decades later an American university student named James Conroy found himself incidentally entangled in the schemes of the minor supervillainess Arcana. Arcana, on the run from superheroes used her sorcery to turn a dorm party full of humans into illusionary duplicates of herself as a distraction, James included. The spell quickly wore off everyone else but James turned back, not into himself, but into a different woman - a blonde in a 1940s style super costume who had no recollection of this 'James' but answered to the name 'Alicia'. Confused she ran off - and when she ran she ran.

The following morning a very confused James woke up as himself in a motel hundreds of miles away with only the bluriest recollection of the previous night.

It would only become clear in time what had happened. James and Alicia were the same person with the former as the reincarnation of the latter. Something in Arcana's magic had triggered the transformation. Gradually over the next few weeks and days James would begin to get Alicia's old memories and Alicia's James's and they'd learn how to control the transformation from nerdy 21st century guy to 1940s superheroine and back again.

Meteor Maid was back!

Welcome! I'll look over the sheet today but at a glance Mistral looks perfect.

RossN
2024-02-14, 08:05 PM
Filled in background. :smallsmile:

JeminiZero
2024-02-14, 10:37 PM
Power Loss: Mistral can be tricked into losing her magical powers by saying "Presto chango" which reverts her back into being Miles. Miles can turn into Mistral by saying the same phrase but must wait an hour before being able to shift.

I'm guessing Jesse used to be called Miles, and you didn't do a full find-and-replace.

Relationship: Casey Wu is a classmate of Jesse's and his long time best friend along with being the only person who knows who Mistral really is. Much smarter than her bff she is essentially Jesse/Mistral's tech and research gal. They've been friends forever but their relationship is getting a little more awkward these days since Casey, a lesbian has a crush on Mistral but is strictly platonic with Jesse.

How exactly does this work? Is Mistral a distinct personality from Jesse (like Banner/Hulk)?

Offense
Initiative +16
Throw +9, Damage 2, Multiattack 5, Selective 5 Fast Attack +10, Damage 5

Maybe break this into multiple lines to make it clearer:

Throw: +9 (Ranged, Damage 2)
Fast Attack: +10 (Close, Multiattack Damage 5)
Fast Attack Alt: Close, 30ft Burst Area, Selective Damage 5

RossN
2024-02-14, 10:46 PM
Not a fan of the weirdly hostile analysis there JeminiZero. I can see parts of it need an edit but you could have been nicer.

JeminiZero
2024-02-14, 11:29 PM
Apologies if you felt that was hostile.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-15, 02:05 PM
We have four which is enough but I'll leave this open a little longer in case someone else wants to jump in. For everyone already accepted (list on the OP) here's the OOC (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?664530-OOC-Rise-of-the-Champions!-M-amp-M-3-2-Playtest&p=25964290#post25964290) thread link so players can can settle in there.

PoeticallyPsyco
2024-02-15, 02:25 PM
I probably don't have enough time to create a character, but how similar is M&M to HERO 6E? I see people talking about arrays and advantages and limitations, which makes me think it's probably similar enough that I'd have a head-start learning the system.

Batcathat
2024-02-15, 02:33 PM
After leaving poor Nathan like 95 percent finished for days, I finally got down to it and Cthul-Lad (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2876871) (now with both boosted immortality and old school regeneration as well as a new power for horrifying flavour) should be finished, even if the history and personality is still a bit bare bones.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-16, 08:52 AM
I probably don't have enough time to create a character, but how similar is M&M to HERO 6E? I see people talking about arrays and advantages and limitations, which makes me think it's probably similar enough that I'd have a head-start learning the system.
Their both point-buy systems but there's many differences. Here's a link (https://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/96492-tips-for-conversion-from-mutants-and-masterminds-to-hero/) with tips for converting from HERO.

After leaving poor Nathan like 95 percent finished for days, I finally got down to it and Cthul-Lad (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2876871) (now with both boosted immortality and old school regeneration as well as a new power for horrifying flavour) should be finished, even if the history and personality is still a bit bare bones.

I'll check him the sheet. Since the group is now five this thread is closed (OOC link for players with complete characters is above).