PDA

View Full Version : Virtuoso's Fascinate

cupkeyk
2007-12-13, 12:33 PM
Why does the virtuoso gain fascinate as an ability at level one when it requires at least one bard level for bardic music and up 10 ranks in a few skills?

I checked on the UA, the Half-elf, gnome, PH2 bards and none of them drop fascinate at all. Why would a virtuoso get this class feature? Is there a way of exchanging fascinate at Bard 1 so I can maximize my virtuoso levels?

Foolosophy
2007-12-13, 01:03 PM
I doubt this was the intention, but there are a few sorcerer builds going into virtuoso that would profit from gaining fascinate.

(sorcerer/spellsinger/virtuoso for example)

RTGoodman
2007-12-13, 01:04 PM
Basically, it's because the Virtuoso PrC doesn't require you to be a Bard. Multi-class Rogue/Sorcerers can get in pretty easily, or Rogue/Wizards, and maybe Spellthieves or Beguilers (I'm not sure if they get Perform as a class skill).

Anyway, fascinate is pretty much a signature ability for the Virtuoso (it's required for at least one or two of his other abilities), so it has to be included there for people who enter the PrC from a non-Bard background.

(As an aside, I'm going to assume that at some point the requirement was intended to just be "Caster Level 1st" rather than "Arcane Caster Level 1st," because the description says that Rogue/Clerics can enter, which they most definitely can't. Either that, or whoever writes the descriptions at the beginning doesn't read any of the requirements when they write, you know, the classes that most often qualify. :smallconfused: )