PDA

View Full Version : Tower of God

Darkstorm
2024-01-30, 01:45 PM
"Do you want to see the stars?"

Tower of God (ToG) is One of the most known manhwa. It follows the 25th Bam on his Journey towards the top of the tower. A world with a lot of Fleshed characters and factions.

How to role play this?

M&M I believe might be able to handle the set without many changed.
DnD is also a good fit in a way, as positions are similar and overlap classes. This would need a lot of prévios work. Freeform is always an options but Will be harder to feel the level up.

Ideas? Sugestions?

Buufreak
2024-01-30, 02:40 PM
Can you use less abbreviations? Like bam and manwha.

ShadowSandbag
2024-01-30, 02:59 PM
I'm not too familiar with the story, but am aware of it. What parts do you most want to emulate in gameplay?

Manwha is a term for Korean comics (similar to how Manga is used for Japanese comics).

The 25th Bam is the name of the main character.

Darkstorm
2024-01-30, 03:00 PM

They aren't...

"The 25th Bam" is the name of the main character.

As for manhwa is korean comics, as manga is japanese comics and manhua is chinese comics.

Darkstorm
2024-01-30, 06:00 PM
Sorry for the double post, but we posted at the same time.

I'm not too familiar with the story, but am aware of it. What parts do you most want to emulate in gameplay?

The whole atmosphere of level challenge, going up, social tensions between the 10 families, strange powers, Shinsu.

Probably a group of regulars trying to reach the top. Underdogs (as any in ToG), but that could feel the growth.

Reversefigure4
2024-01-31, 12:05 AM
So I know nothing more about Tower of God than what I can get from the wikipedia article, but I really don't think Mutants and Masterminds is what you're looking for here. It's got a lot of extra bits you'd need to cut out or adapt (Nullify, long-range teleports, space travel, gadgets, etc, etc), and it really doesn't work well with levels. Characters start out highly competent, then tend to become a bit more so.

DnD has much more of the 'levels advance you greatly in power' aspect, making it fairly easy to gate off "Floor 10 is a Level 7 zone, and coincidentally the final test fight in Floor 9 raises you up to Level 7" and segregate the tower by level. You'd need to reskin pretty much all the classes, though. 4th Edition strikes me as a good fit for the parts of Tower of God that require a party fulfilling specific roles in a 5 man team, working in specific ways, and having highly ritualised combats in pre-set arenas.

Neither system will help you with 'social tensions between the ten families' as anything more than a plot element, and I'd be hard pressed to think of a system fluffy enough to have social combat but rigid enough to mandatorily require 5 specific combat roles.

Rynjin
2024-01-31, 03:42 AM

Neither of these are abbreviations lmao. Manwha is the Korean word for manga. 25th Bam is the main character's name ("Bam" means "night" in Korean from what I recall).

Bit of a weird post since if you're so confused by terminology about a series you've never read like...you're not gonna be able to help this guy anyway, since you have zero clue what teh series is about or what system he'd need to use to run a game in the setting. Probably should have just looked at it, gone "I got no clue what this is" and moved on. Or like...Googled it.

Anyway.

Tower of God is a weird series to try and run as an RPG since it has pretty "stop and go" power scaling. The characters don't really smoothly gain power over time, they stall out and then jump forward in leaps and bounds based on what the arc needs. Mind I stopped reading the series after the train arc, but I doubt thet general structure changed much afetrward.

I suggest running a more freeform, high power system. mutants and Masterminds isn't bad, though everybody is going to end up with similar Trappings. Not sure what people are talking about with "long range Teleports are an issue" since you can just tell people there's a Rank limit on certain powers.

But a system like Godbound wouldn't be a bad fit either, so the characters can have a handle on the more vaguely defined powers of the setting. The important characters tend to be pretty much invincible within their main sphere of expertise, whether it be "kicking ass" like Bam or "being smart" like Khun, so just giving them buckets of limited omnipotence is a solid choice.