PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Storm sorcery (reworked)

Blackflight
2024-01-31, 05:05 PM
I've decided to work on a remake for the storm sorcery subclass. I personally think the theme of a storm sorcerer is really cool - unfortunately, the one that is presented in Xanathar's guide to everything seems quite underwhelming both mechanically and thematically. Ive been testing different ideas and after a lot of tweaking Ive come up with the following changes. I would like to your feedback on these changes?

* Do these changes make for a thematic improvement?
* Would this subclass be balanced?
* Is it something you would like to play yourself?

Level 1: Tempestuous magic
You learn additional spells when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown on the Storm sorcery table. Each spell counts as a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn’t count against the number of sorcerer spells you know. These spells can’t be replaced when you gain a level in this class.
Level 1: Fog cloud, Thunderwave
Level 3: Warding wind, Gust of wind
Level 5: Call lightning, Sleet storm
Level 7: Control water, Storm sphere
Level 9: Control winds, Maelstrom

Note: The added spell list is to keep the subclass balancewise in line with Tasha's new subclasses. The spells are chosen to reflect the theme of the subclass (controlling the weather and seas)

Level 1: Storm infusion
At 1st level, you bolster yourself with storm infused elemental magic. Your eyes sparks with lightning as the air around you beings to ionize. As a bonus action, you are infused for 1 minute. You gain the following benefits while infused:
• You gain temporary hit points equal to 1d6 + your sorcerer level.
• Whenever an enemy within 5 ft. hits you with a melee attack, you may spend your reaction to cast the shocking grasp spell at the attacker.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Note: Potentially a bit over the top ability. I do, however, like the idea of having a lightning shield that both protects the caster and retalliates on enemy attackers. The number of temporary hit points could potentially be scaled back a little.

Level 6: Storm’s fury
At 6th level, when you deal lightning damage with a spell, and while your storm infusion is active, you may once per turn add d10 lightning damage to one damage roll of the spell.

Note: This is in line with Draconic sorcerer's 6th level feature. But rather than adding a flat charisma bonus I decided to make it a dice roll like many of the new Tasha's features. I was wondering whether 1d8 or 1d10 would be more appropriate

Level 14: Heart of the storm
At 14th level, you may cast the Control weather spell without expending a spell slot. Once you use this feature, you must complete a long rest before you can use it again.

Note: I was debating with myself if this should be the 18th level feature instead, since it basically lets you allow to cast an 8th level spell already at 14th level. I did however, think that this ability would fit the theme of the subclass rather well.

Level 18: Wind soul
At 18th level, you gain resistance to lightning and thunder damage.
You also gain a magical flying speed of 60 feet. As an action, you can reduce your flying speed to 30 feet for 1 hour and choose a number of creatures within 30 feet of you equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. The chosen creatures gain a magical flying speed of 30 feet for 1 hour. Once you reduce your flying speed in this way, you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Note: Basically a copy of Xanathar's 18th level ability, but with a slight nerf so that it no longer grants immunity, but rather resistance to lightning and thunder damage.

Edits are due to typos...