PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Quirks a satyr who's been on the material plane for ~8 months might have

Seplica
2024-02-01, 11:00 AM
Hi!

Gonna start a new campaign soon, my character is a level 4 satyr bard who was living in the feywild being part of Hyrsam's troup. He was playing music and entertaining the feys in various courts but was not really into the "forment political unrest" thing, being good at heart, curious and open to other cultures. He turned a bling eye to the darker side of the troup's doing because he enjoyed being with a talented band of performer.

That is until about 8 months ago, when his adoration of one of Hyrsam's private instrument became too much. He stole it and left, ran, until he found a fey crossroad and fled in the material plane. (the instrument is a fochlucan bandore).

He is a little worried about Hyrsam's possible retaliation but being an hedonist and carpe diem type of guy, he just enjoys this world he is now discovering.

So for the topic, what quirks could a character that lived all his life in the feywild could have, now living in the material plane? I'm looking for things that I could somehow weave in my roleplay or that would help me know how he responds to certain type of situations.

I do know that he just loves sunset, because the colors reminds him of the feywild, and that seeing the sun disappear amazes him. He still can't comprehend how steady the passing of time is with the day and night cycle.

Thank you so much!

KorvinStarmast
2024-02-01, 11:13 AM
That is until about 8 months ago, when his adoration of one of Hyrsam's private instrument became too much. He stole it and left, ran, until he found a fey crossroad and fled in the material plane. (the instrument is a fochlucan bandore).
He is a little worried about Hyrsam's possible retaliation but being an hedonist and carpe diem type of guy, he just enjoys this world he is now discovering.
An interesting quirk might be that he becomes celibate.
While he is used to the mores and norms of the feywild, the satyr discovers that on the material plane, among mortals, that these erotic encounters all to often come with strings attached, and all of a sudden he is confronted with issues.
(I leave that generic to allow you to fill in the blank with topics suited to your table).

Loads of them. And they begin to pile up. And he begins to accumulate stress. What is wrong with these people?

To reduce stress in his life, he becomes celibate - it is a bit of an over reaction to all of the issues these mortals have with what is just normal in the Feywild.

Might be an interesting 'against type' approach. Could also be played for laughs...up to you.

And if he ends up with orbs of azure, his new phrase could become ...
refrigero scrotum rather than carpe diem
{latin for, roughly, chill, refresh, comfort, cool, cool down}

Dr.Samurai
2024-02-01, 08:23 PM
Not sure about specific quirks but one area of dissonance could be that most people in the Material Plane have to work and toil to eke out a living. Everyone has responsibilities and little time for leisure, and if his life in the Feywild was all about having fun and playing music, this may be quite a culture shock. Most people can't just sit around and listen to him play, and, depending on how he acts, may be bothered by someone that's always looking to engage in revelry.

Maybe he comes to appreciate nighttime more because people generally have time to relax then and enjoy music and dance.

Seplica
2024-02-02, 08:46 AM
To reduce stress in his life, he becomes celibate - it is a bit of an over reaction to all of the issues these mortals have with what is just normal in the Feywild.

Oh yeah I can see it.
-Hey, this NPC looks into you.
-Bah, for every minute of pleasure comes one hour of drama with you lot. I don't have this problem with wine. *sips*

As you say, interesting take on the bard trope!

Maybe he comes to appreciate nighttime more because people generally have time to relax then and enjoy music and dance.

Good point about the nightlife. I could also see him kind of understanding why people need to work in this world, but be absolutely appalled as to why some people choose things they do not love to do as their occupation.
-Thank you for the apples, fruit merchant! By the way, you seem grumpy. Don't you like what you're doing?
-Why would I like selling fruits in these smelly streets while standing in the blazing sun, eh?
-Well why are you doing it then? Surely someone would love to enjoy the sun while selling delicious fruits to hungry people! What do you love to do? This is what you should spend your day doing! You have only one life to live after all, and, you know, being a human... your life is pretty short-lived as it is. Better make it the best life you can, my friend!

And, being a very charismatic and persuasive PC, perhaps he will persuade some of them to turn their life around, for better or for worse.

togapika
2024-02-02, 10:25 AM
And, being a very charismatic and persuasive PC, perhaps he will persuade some of them to turn their life around, for better or for worse.

"You don't want to sell me deathsticks"
"You want to go home and rethink your life"