PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Please help me bulild this (pegasus rider) archer with modified 5e rules.

Myth27
2024-02-01, 07:28 PM
So we already did session 0 and I already described my character as a pegasus rider archer with magical capabilities from a kingdom that has a powerful navy with "air-creatures carrier ships", so i would be a fantasy top gun maverick. Now the campaign takes place after an apocaliptic event that destroyed all civilization, so the pegasus part could be background only and not a thing anymore but if possible I would like to keep it as an ability.
The other party members for the record are a melee paladin, a melee warlock, a classic invocation sorcerer and a ranged rogue with a lot of charisma.

I will be level 5, weird thing is that the DM has these rules: you get 2-3 points per level and every level you can buy ANY feature from any class that is of your level +2 or feats or stats increase. Class features cost 1 or 2 points depending of how powerful they are. You choose a class that gives you some features at level 1. Also at level 5 you can choose one ability up to level 11 of any class or level 14 of your class. Becoming a lvl1 arcane spellcaster costs 2 points. after that 1 point for every level. the same for divine. you can buy both.
I was thinking getting mounted combatant sharpshooter find greater steed and swift quiver but to get them I would have to spend 11 points, or I could get magical secrets from the bard as my special final ability. I could get the warrior arcane archer subclass. Can you suggest other things I could get ? Also some spells that could be useful?

TOO LONG DIDNT READ: give me 2-4 feats, 4-8 class features from any class level 1-7 and one of level 8-14 that would make a great archer, I'll figure out how to get them in this system. I also get 3 very rare magical items.

RogueJK
2024-02-01, 11:15 PM
I think you've already identified the big ones:

Mounted Combatant
Sharpshooter
Archery Fighting Style
Extra Attack (or potentially even Fighter's Level 11 3x Extra Attack)
Bard Level 10 Magical Secrets for Find Greater Steed and Swift Quiver (plus the spell slots to spend on them)

Other potentially useful class/subclass abilities to grab could be:
Twilight Cleric's Advantage on Initiative and/or 300' shareable Darkvision
Champion's Improved Critical
Paladin's Aura of Protection
Something useful to use your Reaction on, like War Wizard's Arcane Deflection, or Nature Cleric's Dampen Elements

I wouldn't bother with the Arcane Archer... Their Arcane Shot options aren't that useful, and can only be used 2x/rest. Better options with similar effects would be something like Battlemaster Maneuvers, or Swords Bard Blade Flourishes.

Myth27
2024-02-02, 04:20 PM
I think you've already identified the big ones:

Mounted Combatant
Sharpshooter
Archery Fighting Style
Extra Attack (or potentially even Fighter's Level 11 3x Extra Attack)
Bard Level 10 Magical Secrets for Find Greater Steed and Swift Quiver (plus the spell slots to spend on them)

Other potentially useful class/subclass abilities to grab could be:
Twilight Cleric's Advantage on Initiative and/or 300' shareable Darkvision
Champion's Improved Critical
Paladin's Aura of Protection
Something useful to use your Reaction on, like War Wizard's Arcane Deflection, or Nature Cleric's Dampen Elements

I wouldn't bother with the Arcane Archer... Their Arcane Shot options aren't that useful, and can only be used 2x/rest. Better options with similar effects would be something like Battlemaster Maneuvers, or Swords Bard Blade Flourishes.

Thank you for Your answer. Any advice on magic items ?

RogueJK
2024-02-02, 05:03 PM
A Longbow +3. Kind of a no-brainer.

A Manual of Quickness is Very Rare, and can get you a 22 DEX.

Also consider grabbing a pair of Bracers of Archery, for +2 damage on all Longbow attacks (as well as Longbow proficiency, if you don't already have that). Not Very Rare... Only Uncommon. But still worth considering for a dedicated Archer. So you might see if your DM will let you grab something like Bracers of Archery and Winged Boots (both Uncommon) in lieu of a Very Rare item. The Winged Boots would not only act as a safety net to prevent falling damage if your Pegasus is killed or otherwise incapacitated or you're knocked off it, they also allow you to still fly when your Large sized Pegasus can't accompany you somewhere.

da newt
2024-02-03, 11:11 AM
While the Pegasus is a cool theme, I'd skip it (costly and vulnerable) and just give myself flight (racial or magic item). I'd also think about bugbear for the first round + 2d6 per hit. Something like:

Feats -
sharpshooter is a must
Alert is great
Elvin Accuracy (assuming your DM also doesn't care about race restrictions) or Lucky is always handy

Class features:
gloomstalker level 3 dread ambusher and umbral sight
gloomstalker level 7 iron mind
fighter level 1 fighting style and second wind
fighter level 2 action surge
battlemaster level 3 moves
fighter level 11 extra attack
twilight cleric 1 adv on initiative and 300' darkvision
rogue 2 cunning action or Assassinate

Magic Items:
+3 long bow
carpet of flying
plate +2 or displacer cloak or other defensive item

It's all about the first round, unseen attacker and kiting.