PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Which Weapon Group Is Most Well Rounded?

Maat Mons
2024-02-03, 10:54 AM
I got to wondering about this the other day. Ignoring exotic weapons, as most people seem to, Axes seems to come the closest to having everything you'd want, unless you want a weapon that isn't Slashing with a x3 critical. Heavy Blades gives you your choice of 19-20/x2 or 18-20/x2, but lacks a light weapon, which isn't a big deal, and also lacks a reach weapon, which does seem like kind of a big deal, at least to me. Hammers is almost as well rounded as Axes, but also lacks a reach option. I don't know why Lucerne hammer isn't in there. Polearms gives you every damage type you could want in both reach and non-reach flavors, but nothing you can wield without using both hands. Everything else seems to stack up poorly.

Light
One Hand
Two Hand
Reach
Thrown
Projectile

Axes
Handaxe
Battle Axe
Greataxe
Bardiche
Throwing Axe

Blades, Heavy

Longsword, Scimitar
Falchion, Greatsword

Chakram

Blades, Light
Kukri, Shortsword
Monople, Rapier

Chakram

Bows

Longbow

Close
Punching Dagger, Light Shield
Klar, Heavy Shield

Wushu Dart

Crossbows

Light Crossbow

Double

Weighted Spear

Flails

Light Flail, Morningstar
Heavy Flail

Hammers
Light Mace
War Hammer
Earth Breaker

Light Hammer

Monk
Cestus

Quarterstaff

Polearms

Halberd
Lucerne Hammer, Horse Chopper

Spears

Short Spear
Lance, Planson
Longspear
Pilum

Thrown
Dagger
Trident

Chakram
Kestros

Tribal
Handaxe
Throwing Axe, Club, Shortspear
Greatclub

Spear

What do you guys think about the relative merits of Fighter weapon groups?

Shpadoinkle
2024-02-03, 02:01 PM
I'm partial to the Thrown weapon group. You get options that allow you access to all three damage types, as well as both light and one-handed weapons. Despite the name of the group you don't have to actually throw them to get the benefits from weapon training, so you still get the attack and damage bonus when attacking with them in melee, allowing you to switch-hit more effectively. There are even some two-handed weapons in the Thrown group, though they're mostly exotic weapons. The only thing I can think of that the Thrown group lacks is any options that grant reach.

Maat Mons
2024-02-03, 02:27 PM
I feel that the best two-handed option in the Thrown weapon group is to just use a Trident in two hands. I suppose there's something to be said for the Harpoon, though.

2024-02-04, 01:33 AM
Most exotic weapons are ignored for being garbage not worth wasting a feat on. Not all of them fit under that label, though, and those that don't should be taken into account. It also just absolutely guts the Monk weapon group, although that's mostly relevant to multiclass builds or Sohei monks.

You've also left out siege weapons. On the one hand, one can argue that most siege weapons are unfit for adventuring and don't really belong on a list like this. On the other hand, it's hard to be more well-rounded than the weapon group that contains the perfect weapon. There's not a single weapon in any other weapon group that can deliver a 90 kilogram payload up to 300 meters away - and that's before magical enhancements! You may not like it, but this (https://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/images/physics_trebuchet_1.png) is what peak performance looks like.

Kurald Galain
2024-02-05, 03:29 AM
I got to wondering about this the other day. Ignoring exotic weapons, as most people seem to
As Vecna notes, exotic weapons are (generally) not worth a feat; however, there are a number of ways to get one without a feat. In particular, half-elf, tengu, and gnome characters can get EWP for free; a variety of classes or archetypes get a specific exotic weapon; and there's an ioun stone (1500 gp, the cracked Opalescent White Pyramid) that lets you treat one exotic weapon as martial.

For instance, u-monks are proficient with all exotic monk weapons; brawlers get all exotic weapons from the close group; clerics and warpriests are proficient in their deity's weapon even if it's exotic; and the kensai Magus can pick an EWP for free.

I suggest you add them in cursive or something.

Maat Mons
2024-02-05, 05:16 AM
Looking at the Light Blade and Close weapon groups, I’m not certain how many options they have for using a weapon in two hands. Light Blades definitely has Bayonet, and Close can definitely use Heavy Shield in two hands. But what I can’t figure out is if a Klar or a Manople can be used two-handed for extra damage. Klar is listed as a one-handed weapon, which should mean it can be. But it also says it counts as a light shield, which is a light weapon, so it can’t be used two-handed. A Manople, by RAW should be usable in two hands. But it’s basically an arm-blade, and I’m struggling to imagine how you’d use such a thing two-handed.

Pugwampy
2024-02-10, 07:15 AM
Longbows do X3 crit damage , you can get yourself a composite longbow and add str damage . You can shoot from anywhere in the battlefield including from behind your party . At high levels you get 2 or 3 attacks . You can immediately attack. If enemy withdraws , you can keep shooting . Your archer dex probably means you attacking first . Your archer dex probably means you have great AC .

Your fellow melee player has to put himself into position to use his axe and he is also in range to get smacked by the axeman infront of him . And what if enemy decides to make a tactical withdraw ? Most fighter players like to run off to the corner of the dungeon leaving second line wide open . How about your axe guy is in the wrong position in a cramped dungeon behind the wizard ?

There is quickdraw feat if you get rushed. There is feats to negate penalties of using a bow up close .

There is as many broken feats for bows as there is for axes or swords .

1d10 great bow . ? Exotic weapon .