PDA

View Full Version : Movies Argyle (2024)

Bartmanhomer
2024-02-03, 09:57 PM
Hey everyone. Today I'm going to review the movie Argyle (2024).

Well, today I saw the movie Argyle in IMAX. This movie is about an author who writes spy novels and it became a reality. In all honesty, this movie is so stupid. The positive part that this movie was fast-paced and it was action-packed. The negative part is that most of the scenes didn't fit the story very well and the cat didn't play any role in this movie. In my mind, I tried to comprehend any interest my liking of this movie but I wasn't feeling anything out of this movie. This movie is trash. 😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠👎🏿👎🏿👎🏿👎🏿👎🏿👎🏿👎🏿👎🏿👎🏿👎🏿👎🏿👎🏿👎🏿

Errorname
2024-02-03, 11:53 PM
Argylle looks like it's in the position of being not as good as Vaughn's better films (Kingsman 1, X-Men First Class), but it doesn't seem like it has the completely unhinged qualities that made the King's Man at least interesting.

Bartmanhomer
2024-02-04, 01:48 AM
Argylle looks like it's in the position of being not as good as Vaughn's better films (Kingsman 1, X-Men First Class), but it doesn't seem like it has the completely unhinged qualities that made the King's Man at least interesting.

At least Kingsman and X-Men First Class have better niches. :smile:

Murk
2024-02-04, 09:47 AM
the cat didn't play any role in this movie.

A movie without a plot-relevant cat can never be a good movie.

Imbalance
2024-02-04, 12:46 PM
Did we watch the same flick? That cat was a frequent plot device. The film was plenty unhinged.

Errorname
2024-02-04, 01:44 PM
The film was plenty unhinged.

I seriously doubt it was as unhinged as The King's Man.

Khedrac
2024-02-04, 02:58 PM
I found Argylle to be great fun - completely bonkers, but great fun.

The maguffin is not the standard "hack any computer" trope that gets used way too much so was a refreshing change.

The plot doesn't stand up to too much thought, but it is basically a "switch the brain off and enjoy the show" film - and a good one too.

Bartmanhomer
2024-02-04, 03:01 PM
I found Argylle to be great fun - completely bonkers, but great fun.

The maguffin is not the standard "hack any computer" trope that gets used way too much so was a refreshing change.

The plot doesn't stand up to too much thought, but it is basically a "switch the brain off and enjoy the show" film - and a good one too.

Well, I'm glad that you enjoy Argyle. I just wish I had the same enthusiasm as you.

Khedrac
2024-02-05, 03:01 AM
Well, I'm glad that you enjoy Argyle. I just wish I had the same enthusiasm as you.

People have different tastes, it would be boring if we all liked the same things so I am sure there are films out there that you love which leave me unmoved. Anyway thank-you for your positive reaction to my liking it - too many people would try to tell me I must be wrong, but you are far better than that.

Incidentally there remains a tiny possibility that we are talking about different films as the one that went on general release in the UK has a double 'l' in the name - "Argylle" not "Argyle" (something I didn't spot from the trailers).

Bartmanhomer
2024-02-05, 03:29 AM
People have different tastes, it would be boring if we all liked the same things so I am sure there are films out there that you love which leave me unmoved. Anyway, thank you for your positive reaction to my liking it - too many people would try to tell me I must be wrong, but you are far better than that.

Incidentally, there remains a tiny possibility that we are talking about different films as the one that went on general release in the UK has a double 'l' in the name - "Argylle" not "Argyle" (something I didn't spot from the trailers).

True. I'm not the type of person who will make fun of and get angry over someone who likes the movie even though I dislike the movie. That's not who I am. I do like most movies except bad movies and the movies with sexual content in them. (Although there are a few exceptions such as the movie Bros.) :smile:

Rodin
2024-02-05, 05:49 AM
I seriously doubt it was as unhinged as The King's Man.

I was a big fan of Kingsmen and found Kingsmen 2 to be weird but decent. I tried watching The Kings Man and found it very strange and worse, not funny. I much prefer the playful mix of comedy and serious that permeated the first film.

Talakeal
2024-02-05, 01:53 PM
I thought the first half was pretty good, but the second half was pretty bad. The hallway fight with the smoke gas was, up until that point, the dumbest action scene I have ever seen, but it didn't hold the record long, as the oil fight was even dumber.

The plot is ok, but its pretty much just Total Recall with a new coat of paint. The twist ending and mid credit scene are complete head scratchers, even after looking them up I have no idea what is going on.

I will say it is really nice to see a naturally curvy woman presented as sexy in a Hollywood film, and I am very glad they didn't force Bryce Dallas Howard to starve herself for the roll.

Errorname
2024-02-05, 02:01 PM
I was a big fan of Kingsmen and found Kingsmen 2 to be weird but decent. I tried watching The Kings Man and found it very strange and worse, not funny. I much prefer the playful mix of comedy and serious that permeated the first film.

I disliked the second Kingsman, but the King's Man is so utterly unhinged that I found it kind of mesmerizing. It's not good, but the ways in which it is bad are interesting and weird.

DavidSh
2024-02-05, 03:39 PM
The burning question, at least in my mind, is about the title. Is it a reference to the region of Scotland (and are we expecting a sequel titled Fife) or is it about the sock pattern?

Khedrac
2024-02-05, 04:18 PM
The burning question, at least in my mind, is about the title. Is it a reference to the region of Scotland (and are we expecting a sequel titled Fife) or is it about the sock pattern?

In short, "no" (i.e none of the above).

"Argylle" is the name of the fictional secret agent created by the title charfacter who is a best-selling author.

The pattern shows up in the background for her book signings and things like that.

Tyndmyr
2024-02-07, 11:43 AM
It's fun enough, though I will say Cavill looks wonky in that hairstyle.

The cat was most definitely important to the plot. Not that this is particularly essential to make a spy movie, but several points were strongly affected by the cat.

There was also definitely at least a mild degree of unhinged. The, er, romantic fight scene as well as the fight sequence immediately following were very much of a Kingsman style. Aesthetics of the fight prioritized, not an overly large degree of making sure it was realistic.

This pretty much matches my assessment of the franchise. I'd place Argyle somewhere between the first two. Not quite so elegant as the first Kingsman, but definitely better than the latter entries.