PDA

View Full Version : SMBG issue with conflicting games

FdL
2007-12-13, 02:08 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3623797&postcount=840

Ok, for what I know, people in a SMBG game called "Llama, Llama, Duck" are spamming the Heal/Hurt games in said subforum.

They are supposed to get something in their game for participating in Heal/Hurt games, and "kill" any of the options there. This means that they are taking their game beyond their thread. This is being done without the knowledge or permission of the people running the H/H games. And in practice it means that they are mass-voting to "kill" a certain "option" in those Heal/Hurt games. It also has to do with the word "chalupa".

Now, I point this cause I only recently understood what's going on, because I noticed this kind of behaviour in one of the games I participate, and I realized it's been going on in most if not all of them.

I have nothing against the "Llama Llama Duck" game. I just don't think it's fair for regular players of Heal/Hurt games to have people mass-vote and kill "options", altering the flow and balance of those poll-type games where players often struggle to keep their favorites alive or at the top of votes.

I think that this is a case where the players of a game having fun with it ruins the fun of the players of other games. And well, I'd like to have something done about it. Because as of now, my first reaction would to stop playing some of the Heal/Hurt games I'm in, because of this.

I apologize if this is not the right place to make this observation, and I repeat I have nothing against the players of the Llama Llama Duck game. My intention is to keep the games fun and fair for everyone.

B-Man
2007-12-13, 02:20 PM
I've just became aware of this recently as well. I didn't notice it too much when it started (approximately on 6 December). They've flooded my Heal/Hurt game, killing off the weakened characters. I thought it was a flood of new players, but after looking at all the "new" players, I've noticed that most of them are players of the Llama, Llama, Duck game. As the updater of my game I am tempted to make my polls go back to the way they were on 6 December and negate any further votes from non-serious players.

banjo1985
2007-12-14, 04:31 AM
Having formally been a player in Llama Llama Duck, and a runner of a H/H game, I suppose I can see both sides of the story. With my game there has only been 5 or 6 extra players, and while it has resulted in a death, it's looked as if they characetr had it coming anyway.

There are currently between 30 & 40 Llama Llama Duck players, so it's probably a blessing that there's not been more! I personally don't have a problem with it, means more voters on my game :smallbiggrin:

Archonic Energy
2007-12-14, 05:36 AM
I personally don't have a problem with it, means more voters on my game :smallbiggrin:

something that i too would like.
However, the "new" players come in,
Vote for the player most likely to Die
and leave without partipating further.

those players i could do without!
they aren't voting to Heal/hurt
they are mearly voting to hurt the lowest.

banjo1985
2007-12-14, 05:44 AM
Fair point, but I really don't think there's been any malicious intent. Supagoof and Llama are running the game, they're good guys and wouldn't have done anything to intentionally mess up other peoples games. Maybe it's worked out that way, but it's not really a major issue in my mind. Purely because the character in any H/H game with the lowest points is probably for the chop anyway, that's why they end up targets for the Secret Chalupa Sidequest anyway. If anything it just hurries up the inevitable.

I can however see the H/H runners point, it could be seen to be unfairly influencing our games. I'm just saying it's not really a major thing, and will be over as soon as one character has died in each game, which won't take much longer.

Archonic Energy
2007-12-14, 06:26 AM
External Baggage
Each thread should exist in a vacuum, free from outside influences —especially those outside of these boards. What this means is that you can't carry over anger from a debate in another thread into a new discussion, and you can't harass anyone over anything they did in another thread, on another website's board, or in real life. If you can't check your baggage at the door, you'll end up earning an Infraction.

Empasis mine.
i've always hated quoting the rules to people
i don't mind if the new players continue to play. in fact i any welcome new players (it'll make my game run quicker)
but i've been fighting against FfG for most of the game and now i've won because a group of people need to kill someone in my game to get a clue...
my Victory feels hollow, in fact I DIDN'T win. FfG was assinated by an outside force for mearly having the lowest HP on the board... if that was 3 weeks ago then TTO would have died in her place there is no reason behind the voting.

had i been asked i would have probably agreed, Because "Llama boy":smallwink: has beed a Regular in my Planescape game since it started and is a good sport, Hell i would have raised "Mourns for Trees" as a dedicated target for the Fury of the LLD'ers. i would have had a laugh.

Supagoof
2007-12-14, 12:58 PM
Apologies to everyone for the affected by the LLD Chalupa Sidequest in the HH games.

It was not our intent to "mess up" any of the games. We have seen them become to stagnent and thought our little injection of heals and hurts would only help people move up and down the list in the games. It wasn't meant to disrupt the game as many are taking it.

Consider that many times, the stagnency is because A. Players don't want to see an object die and B. Vote in contrast to each other to keep an object from moving up or down.

This stagnency makes others not want to play in the games, and therefore leave them, letting them fall off to the eventual "no one posts here" anymore section of SMBG. When this happens, it also frustrates the players who are into the game and want to know who will win at the end. Because the ultimate point of the heal/hurt games is like Highlander - there can be only one.

Truly, I am sorry to have brought upon the dilema of the post once, earn reward, leave game that you have found frustrating. This was not our intent, and we hoped only to help bring more people to these games because we enjoy them.

Hence the Chalupa sidequest originally slated for one round we have carried over to multiple rounds, so that it's not a one time injection where the weakest get picked off.

Remember there's a reason they were the weakest in the first place though.

Also, remember that these are Silly message board games. They exist on a public forum, and in a place where anyone can post to them. Hence that is what makes them silly. Like stabbity death, it shouldn't matter who dies.

To Archonic Energy, it wasn't until I realized your particular Heal/Hurt had a signup period that I realized it didn't fall into the "Anyone" can post to it category. I am terribly sorry for that, as our injection of what was supposed to be fun did indeed thwart the design of your game. Please accept my apologies for that. I based the sidequest on an assumption that didn't hold true. Don't let my mistake ruin it for your other signed up players.

If others who are running games also have an issue with this, we will make changes. Please PM us to let us know! We are not malicious in our intent. We are a Llama and a Goof out to have fun.

Haruki-kun
2007-12-14, 01:13 PM
Hmmm......... I don't think Silly Games H/H has been affected much. Most of those players were already posting there. The only new one I noticed was Shadow. Once.

But I DID see the effect it had in the Animé Character H/H

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-12-14, 01:59 PM
Since we are, in our blood-pumps, good and fun-loving creatures, we are working on tweaking the remainder of the Secret Chalupa sidequest to correspond with the wishes of those who do not wish their game to be a part of it.

The Bushranger
2007-12-14, 08:42 PM
Y'all can feel free to include mine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63721). :smallsmile:

Haruki-kun
2007-12-15, 02:19 AM
I didn't feel any difference, so go ahead and leave mine in.

banjo1985
2007-12-15, 04:38 AM
Same with me, if Discworld is still going by round 2 I'm fine being included, as you say, those on low hit-points are there for a reason!