PDA

View Full Version : Falling and Gravity

liquidformat
2024-02-05, 12:19 AM
So I have been flipping through the PHB, DMG, ECS, and FRCS looking at the rules for falling and it strikes me slightly odd that nowhere in any of these books does it explicitly say we should use earth gravity (unless I missed it hiding somewhere which is plausible). So is there a primary source that says all worlds should use earth gravity unless otherwise stated or talks about what the standard rate of falling/round is?

SirNibbles
2024-02-05, 01:39 AM
So I have been flipping through the PHB, DMG, ECS, and FRCS looking at the rules for falling and it strikes me slightly odd that nowhere in any of these books does it explicitly say we should use earth gravity (unless I missed it hiding somewhere which is plausible). So is there a primary source that says all worlds should use earth gravity unless otherwise stated or talks about what the standard rate of falling/round is?

There's a Sage Advice article in Dragon Magazine #327 that discusses this: it does appear that the general assumption is earth gravity, and also that it doesn't really matter because in most situations it is assumed that you will hit the ground in a single round (unless you are falling more than 500 feet).

Even if you reduce acceleration due to gravity by half, you would fall nearly 300 feet in a single round- the above assumption that you will hit the ground in the same round that you start falling still holds true in almost every case.

Inevitability
2024-02-05, 03:07 AM

From here (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm):

Material Plane

The Material Plane tends to be the most Earthlike of all planes and operates under the same set of natural laws that our own real world does. This is the default plane for most adventures.

Normal Gravity

Most planes have gravity similar to that of the Material Plane.

This seems like a solid enough base to assume earth gravity is the norm.