PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Called Shot and Size Categories

liquidformat
2024-02-05, 12:48 AM
Has anyone played around with adding size penalties into the mix with the called shot rules?

It seems pretty reasonable that the head of a gargantuan target should be easier to hit than the head of a medium target, while the head of something tiny like a cat should be much harder to hit. At the same time I could see this potentially breaking challenge rating of larger monsters.

Biggus
2024-02-05, 12:32 PM
The overall difficulty to hit a creature of a different size has already been accounted for in the general size modifier to AC (-8 to +8), the static penalties from called shot simulate how more difficult to hit (and damage) a particular body part than it is to hit the creature in general.

What would make more sense to me is to adjust the called shot penalties depending on the relative size of the body part: hitting the eye of a giant frog is going to be much easier by comparison to the eye of an elephant.

A player might argue that if you're aiming for the eye (or another soft part) you should ignore natural armor, and while there's a logic to that I wouldn't allow it as it would make many creatures with high natural armor bonuses excessively vulnerable to called shots.