PDA

View Full Version : Fun Guy Fungi

brian 333
2024-02-09, 10:57 AM
What appear to be glowing green and pink soap bubbles which float at random heights and drift in whatever breeze there may be in their native caverns provide dim, ever shifting patterns of light. They are more than beautiful sources of illumination; they are the encysted spores of a flesh-eating fungi.

The surface of these spores is dry, and they gently bounce from any mineral object such as cave walls or metal armor. When they come into contact with organic material, (wool, leather, human skin,) they pop, releasing a mildly euphoric gas which intensifies photo-sensitivity and stimulates endorphin production. Popping the bubbles becomes 'fun' and induces laughter.

The victim of one of these burst spheres must save vs. poison or become infected with the Fun Guy Fungi. Those infected, over the course of the next 48 hours, become more and more hysterically happy. They laugh at any stimulus, sing and dance maniacally, and cannot sleep or rest for any reason. Further, they will consume as much alcohol as they can get because the fungi infecting their body craves it. Victims will literally party themselves to death.

Over the course of the next 48 hours the fungus will consume the organic materials in or on the victim and become a green and pink paste which begins to foam. When the bubbles of the foam grow to about 1 inch they begin to glow, and thereafter will separate and float in the air. (Some bubbles can grow to 3 inches, while others may clump into larger floating masses.) Once airborne they remain neutral until they contact organic matter.

Maat Mons
2024-02-09, 02:24 PM
What's the DC for the saving throw?

Biologically speaking, there's no reason for the fungus to encourage a host in which it has already established itself to pop more bubbles. The bubbles exist only as a way for the fungus to establish itself in new hosts. What it really wants to do encourage the host to travel far away from the current field of soap bubbles, so the it will form a brand new field of soap bubbles instead of merely adding to the existing one. Best not to have all your eggs in one basket... or all your spore bubbles in one swarm cloud thing.

Metastachydium
2024-02-09, 03:24 PM
a flesh-eating fungi.

Fungus. You want the singular.

must save vs. poison or become infected with the Fun Guy Fungi. Those infected, over the course of the next 48 hours, become more and more hysterically happy.

What system has poison that works like that?

Fun Guy Fungi

Also, and most importantly, this is a fascinating dilemma. I'm not sure if I should just slap some sense in you for that pun and that pun alone; or warmly congratulate you instead because man, those sound terrifying.

brian 333
2024-02-09, 03:52 PM
What's the DC for the saving throw?

Biologically speaking, there's no reason for the fungus to encourage a host in which it has already established itself to pop more bubbles. The bubbles exist only as a way for the fungus to establish itself in new hosts. What it really wants to do encourage the host to travel far away from the current field of soap bubbles, so the it will form a brand new field of soap bubbles instead of merely adding to the existing one. Best not to have all your eggs in one basket... or all your spore bubbles in one swarm cloud thing.

The DC for this is determined by how dangerous the DM wants it to be. We are looking at a minimum level 3 party (if Remove Disease works) for the encounter to be fair.

The euphoria/bubble-popping is to encourage more saves. Making one save in a level-appropriate encounter is likely. Making dozens is less so.

Of course, a DM could make a DC for the euphoria effect, one for infection, one for resisting the urge to party, and one for the death effect. My intent was to present the fluff and let the DM decide what to do with it.

I can imagine a situation where a character becomes infected and continues to sprout glowing bubbles without dying, which would be really weird if adventurers came across a band of troglodytes in what appears to be an underground techno club...

Fungus. You want the singular.

What system has poison that works like that?

Also, and most importantly, this is a fascinating dilemma. I'm not sure if I should just slap some sense in you for that pun and that pun alone; or warmly congratulate you instead because man, those sound terrifying.

The singular doesn't rhyme unless your character is named Gus.

It is a death poison, which I think went out with 1st ed. However, as I described above, your local DM may set the effects, DCs, and other variables to fit his campaign world.

I first heard the pun in an opening sequence joke on the ALF TV show way back in they 80s when there were only three TV channels and no streaming services. We rode to work on dinosaurs, and telephones were made from cow-horns. Good times.

A mushroom sits down at the bar, and everyone starts to move away. The mushroom says, "Don't leave, I'm a fun-gi!"

Metastachydium
2024-02-09, 04:32 PM
The singular doesn't rhyme unless your character is named Gus.

No, no, the objection referred to the quoted locus in particular, and that alone! That said… [Takes notes.]

It is a death poison, which I think went out with 1st ed.

1e brew? You really are a gentleman of the old school!

I first heard the pun in an opening sequence joke on the ALF TV show way back in they 80s when there were only three TV channels and no streaming services. We rode to work on dinosaurs, and telephones were made from cow-horns. Good times.

Well, I like dinosaurs and ALF eats cats which is a plus too. "Warmly congratulate you" it is!

brian 333
2024-02-09, 06:57 PM
No, no, the objection referred to the quoted locus in particular, and that alone! That said… [Takes notes.]

If plural pronouns can be singular, then singular articles can be plural!

What, are you some kind of grammarist?

Plus: started playing before there were d10. d20s were numbered 0-9 twice, and you could use colored crayons to make each sequence distinct. "Red is high!" or "Green is high!" would be called for whichever the roller wanted to be 11-20. I still have a couple with the corners rolled off.

Edit:

And now it occurs to me that alchemists would love these fungi for multiple reasons.

The euphoric gas could be used as a component for preparations which offer resistance to Doom and Fear effects, and could be a component for Charm and Mass Charm incense and oils.

The toxin which induces manic partying could be adapted for potions of Heroism, Aid, and Endurance.

The fungus itself could be harnessed as the living component which facilitates Barkskin.

Imagination is the only limit to the alchemy that can be done with the Fun Guy Fungi.

Metastachydium
2024-02-11, 10:00 AM
If plural pronouns can be singular, then singular articles can be plural!

What, are you some kind of grammarist?

No; and the word you're looking for is grammatist or grammarian, but yes, I have a degree for that.

Plus: started playing before there were d10. d20s were numbered 0-9 twice, and you could use colored crayons to make each sequence distinct. "Red is high!" or "Green is high!" would be called for whichever the roller wanted to be 11-20. I still have a couple with the corners rolled off.

Heh. First time I hear of this, and I already have a strong opinion (GREEN IS HIGH, ALL ELSE IS HERESY!!).

The toxin which induces manic partying could be adapted for potions of Heroism, Aid, and Endurance.

And Hideous Laughter. And Irresistible Dance. Yeah. Maybe make a bomb out of it? (What? I'm EVIL.)

brian 333
2024-02-11, 04:54 PM
This guy (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqt3A1bpoYA&feature=youtu.be) knows way too much about dice. One thing he forgot to mention is that everyone kept their dice in a Royal Crown (https://www.amazon.com/Crown-Royal-Purple-Large-Dice/dp/B00TEUTGFC/ref=asc_df_B00TEUTGFC&mcid=0e3d3a4ef45235038c296a8058ac7971?tag=bngsmtph snus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80127027724148&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=m&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726553920886&psc=1) bag. I'm not sure where all those royal blue bags came from, because I don't recall anyone drinking expensive Scotch while playing D&D.