PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a monster

Icewalker
2007-12-13, 11:50 PM
I'm filling out a rather generic dungeon, although with creative parts to it.

I'm looking for a good undead guard creature that could almost consistently make DC 10 balance checks in combat. like +5-10 in balance.

CR 4ish.

RTGoodman
2007-12-13, 11:53 PM
I've got all my D&D books packed up, so I can't check it for you, but one of my personal favorite Undead creatures is the Boneclaw from Monster Manual III.

It's got claws that give it something like 15' reach, and has a pretty high Dex (if I remember correctly). I don't know if it's mindless or not, so I don't know if it can have skill points, but it seems to be a pretty good fit. I think it's a CR 5 or so.

Icewalker
2007-12-14, 12:02 AM
Hmmm...interesting. It is guarding a small path, requiring balance, checks, so that would mean it could attack them as they try to approach it. I like it.

Got another thing: what's a good substance to dump PCs into which hurts but doesn't kill, for a level 4 party? Basically just "Ooh, I better not fall."

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-12-14, 12:07 AM
I would use Vampire spawn, they are CR4, have some nice stats, lots of skills that you can relocate if you choose into some balance, and they have spiderclimb as a natural ability which means that can pretty much 'ignore' balance checks anyways since they stick to any surface.

Otherwise, I would go with Wights (CR 3 base) and +1-2 HD and use the extra skills to dump into balance. Wights created within a desecrated area will have those stats so it isn't exactly a streach.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Acid always works well...damage or ability draining kind...or just a long fall with spikes and a long climb back up...say 20-30' with d6 spikes is enough to make most characters cringe even without the acid.

Icewalker
2007-12-14, 12:18 AM
Hmm, ability damage stuff. Maybe 1 con damage/round flesh acid. Nasty!

Well, I think I'm going with the boneclaw for the pathguard, but I was just coming back to ask for a new one: something of appropriate CR that can climb :smallbiggrin:

So, Vampire Spawn it is, thanks.