PDA

View Full Version : [OOC] Rise of the Champions! [M&M 3.2 Playtest]

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-15, 01:59 PM
IC Link (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?664787-IC-Rise-of-the-Champions-M-amp-M-3-2&p=25968313#post25968313)

All Dice Rolls (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?664526-M-amp-M-3-2-1-shot&p=25964271#post25964271)

Welcome to our M&M 3.2 1-shot everyone. We'll use this thread for game questions and chat, to include anything superhero related. Please be considerate and friendly. Please use the linked thread (ALL Dice Rolls) at the top for rolling d20s. What I expect from players:

Work & compromise with other players
Ask questions when you aren't sure
Have fun doing crazy stuff
Drop a post or send a PM letting me know if you can't post for awhile or if you have a private issue

What do you guys expect from me? And, what's one or two things you've always wanted to do in a superhero rpg but haven't?

Player
Character
Type
Status
Party role

Benoojian
Bioshock (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P1tFpQ9A7NN7Ud5R_2TH537mO1pe6BxX/view)
Biokinetic
Complete
Healing, surveillance, ranged combat

Rook.Gamer
Quarry (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25960667&postcount=38)
Powerhouse
Complete
Meta-stopping power, heavy lifting, ballistic defense

JeminiZero
Magic Girl Jenova (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25960175&postcount=32)
Mage
Complete
Meta-utility, transport

RossN
Mistral (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25963463&postcount=77)
Speedster
Complete
Offense, ground control, diversion

Batcathat
Cthul-Lad (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2876871)
Powerhouse
Complete
Close combat

Super
Condition
Hero points
Initiative
Movement

BioShock
Normal
3 m.

Quarry
Normal
274 m.

Magical Girl Jenova
Normal
76 m.

Mistral
Normal
193 km.

Cthul-Lad
37 m.

Skullface
3 m.

Cowboy
1 ml.

Electro
Incapacitated
3 m.

Girl
Normal
3 m.

Guy
Normal
274 m.

Benoojian
2024-02-16, 06:06 PM
Do we have any ground rules as far as posting speed expectations or post etiquette?

JeminiZero
2024-02-17, 03:38 AM
Thank you for having me. Transferring Jenova's sheet here:

Concept: An Abomination pretending to be a Nerd, pretending to be a Magic Girl (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NonindicativeName).
Civilian Name: Jackson Cottonfield
Legal Status: American Citizen with no Criminal Record
Hero Name: Shining Azure Sparkling Star Magic Girl Jenova (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OverlyLongName) (or more commonly just Jenova)
Gender: Jackson is physically male. Magic Girl Jenova is physically female.
Height: 1.8m / 5'9"
Weight: 64 kg / 141 lb

Backstory:
It's a story as old as man's greed. A cabal of neophyte mages stumble upon a tome of ancient magic. It described a ritual which would call an eldritch Abomination from the far realms, and petition it for a wish, in exchange for a fortune's worth of arcane reagents... and a sacrificed soul.

The cabal decided they would rather like a wish, and run off to grab the required human sacrifice. After some consideration, they snatched a helpless schmuck which nobody would notice was missing: Jackson Cottonfield, ultra-nerdish comics and games shop clerk, and the biggest social outcast within a million miles.

http://i.imgur.com/hA7kEC0.png
-"Mai Waifu is Best Girl."

Thus, the poor fool was kidnapped, marinated in expensive arcane reagents for a week, and then stabbed atop an eldritch altar. In his dying moments, Jackson saw a portal open, and an Eldritch Abomination from the far realms crawled through.
https://i.imgur.com/rGr9w4x.png

However there was a complication: If something seems too good to be true, it usually is. The cabal had failed to read the fine print, and the reason why such a powerful ritual was rarely used, even by the most evil of mages, was because it granted the wish of the Sacrifice. And the nature of the ritual prevented any form of mind control from subverting the process.

Thus, Jackson found his spirit speaking with the Abomination. "State your wish human, and if it pleases me, I shall grant it. But after that, I will immediately consume your soul. Of course, you may not make any wish that would deny me possession of your soul."

Jackson, having spent the past week marinating in arcane reagents, had a lot of time to ponder about what wish he would make, if given the chance. "I wish to fuse our souls together, yours and mine as one."

The Abomination considered the request. "If we are fused, then I technically retain ownership of your soul. Thus, this wish is permissible. And it would anchor me to this plane of existence, allowing me to remain here indefinitely. Very well. But be warned, while your soul will survive the process, your mind might not."

"Er... wait, how about if I wish for..."

"It is too late human. The wish is made, and I have accepted. Prepare yourself for eternity."

Of course, the cabal had no idea what was supposed to happen, let alone what was currently going on. They assumed that the Abomination burrowing into Jackson's corpse, meant that the sacrifice was acceptable to the monster, or something.

Thus, when the Abomination-fused Jackson shattered its bindings and stood up from the altar, they believed everything was going according to plan, and started to petition the creature for the wish they sought.

What they got instead was a swift thrashing, and a mind wipe ritual.

In the days that followed, Jackson seemingly resumed normal life. But once night approaches, and darkness covers the city. The Abomination assumes the form of Jackson's idealized heroine, becoming Magic Girl Jenova!

https://i.imgur.com/BQonG7l.png

Complications
Motivation-Fame: Now that he has the powers he's always dreamed about, Jackson has decided the best way to use them is to amass fame & glory.

Motivation-Acceptance: Jenova on the other hand, seeks to gain allies in her new home, to help watch her back. And the best way to do so was to fight crime as a bombshell Magic Girl with an overly long name. (This might not seem terribly logical, but keep in mind Jenova's entire knowledge of Earth comes from ultra-nerd Jackson.)

Secret Identity: Magic Girl Jenova is secretly Jackson Cottonfield.

Responsibility-Job: Jackson is (still) a store clerk at the Comics & Games shop.

Relationship-Family: Jackson lives in the basement of the Cottonfield family home.

Appearance
Jackson is a typical scrawny nerd, of average height, with short black hair and brown eyes. His most prominent feature is a comically large pair of glasses (which is only there for show, now that his eyesight is perfect).

Jenova appears as a tall, slim woman, of the same height as Jackson (which is taller-than-average for women). Unlike Jackson, she has flowing silver hair and burning gold eyes. Although she technically does not need a mask, she wears one anyway. As Jackson's idealized heroine, Jenova is an astounding beauty.

Summary
Initiative +0
Unarmed: Close +8, Damage +8
Telekinesis: Range +10, Damage +6
Arcane Storm Lash: Area, Damage +8
Toughness 8
Dodge 8
Parry 8
Fortitude 8
Will 8

Abilities (32 PP)

Strength 0 (+8)
Stamina 8
Agility 0
Dexterity 0
Fighting 0
Intellect 2
Awareness 6
Presence 0
Total 16

Abomination Biology (53 PP)
(All powers below have the descriptor)

Soul-Fused (1 PP)
*Feature: As a fusion of 2 Souls, Jenova counts as both a Human of earth and an Abomination from beyond, depending on which is more advantageous to her. She can only be targeted by powers which affect both Humans and Abominations. So a simple punch, or a blast will work, since these can affect both Humans and Abominations. But Dominate Person (limited to Humans) will not, since it does not affect Abominations. Similarly, she cannot be banished from the Earth dimension, or contained in a magic circle for outsiders, since these spells do not affect Humans.

Abomination Flight (3 PP)
*Descriptor: Glowing Aurora
*1 rank @ 2 PP per rank (30 ft/move, 4 MPH)
*Flat Extra: Aquatic

Malleable Flesh (9 PP)

Base: Jackson Cottonfield (6 PP + 3 AE)
*This is Jenova's civilian disguise
*Morph: 1 rank @ 6 PP per rank (Continuous Duration) One Form: Jackson Cottonfield

AE: Inertial Booster (6 PP)
*Enhanced Flight: 3 ranks @ 2 PP per rank (total 4 ranks, 250ft/move, 30MPH)

AE: Muscle Booster (6 PP)
*Power-Lifting: 6 ranks @ 1 PP per rank

AE: Amorphous Physiology (6 PP)
*Insubstantial: 1 rank @ 5 PP per rank (Fluid)
+ *Flat Extras: Selective

Immunity (5 PP)
*2 Suffocation
*1 Poison
*1 Disease
*1 Aging

Blindsight-Biological Radar (3 PP)
*Accurate (2) Radio (1, Ranged Radius Acute)

Regeneration (10 PP)
*Regeneration: 10 ranks @ 1 PP per rank

Abomination Powers (22 PP)
Base: Eldritch Might (21 PP + 1 AE)
*Enhanced Strength: 8 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
*Flat Extras: Accurate-Unarmed (x4)
*Enhanced Advantage: Improvised Weapon (x1)

AE: Biological Mana (21 PP)
*Feature (x21): Abominations naturally generate mana. This can be used to power anything that requires mana, including Spell Like Abilities in the Magic Powers section.

[b]Magic Powers (9 PP)
(All powers below have the [Magic] descriptor)

Detect Magic (4 PP)
*Ranged, Acute, Analytical, Detect Magic

Spell Like Abilities (5 PP)
These powers are additional AEs off the Abomination Powers array.

Telekinesis (21 PP)
*Move Object: 6 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
*Extras: Damaging
*Flaws: Concentration
*Flat Extras: Accurate (x5), Subtle (x2), Precise (fine manipulation)
*Feature: May optionally include an obviously false hologram display for showmanship purposes. E.g. if pushing some rocks out of the way, the obviously false hologram display may be a bulldozer pushing the rocks.

AE: Arcane Storm Lash (21 PP)
*Damage: 8 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
*Extras: 30 ft Shapeable Area
*Flat Extra: Variable Descriptor (x1: Weather), Affects Insubstantial (x2), Incurable, Reach (5ft)

Shared Invisibility/Self Teleport (21 PP)
12 PP*Concealment: 5 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
* *Normal Vision (2), Infravision (1), All Hearing (2)
* *Extras: Affects Others
* *Flaws: Passive
* *Flat Extra: Progression (x1) Affect 2 others by touch
* *Feature: Targets can still see and hear one another, but not creatures using concealment from other sources (to prevent this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0089.html) from happening)
2 PP*Conceal Flight: Flat Extras Applied to Flight - Subtle (x2)
7 PP*Teleport: 1 ranks @ 5 PP per rank (60ft/Move, Extended Distance Rank 9 - 2 miles)
* *Extras: Accurate, Extended, Easy
* *Flat Extra: Subtle (x2)

Mass Teleport (19 PP)
*Teleport: 1 ranks @ 7 PP per rank (60 ft/move, Extended Distance Rank 9 - 2 miles)
*Extras: Accurate, Extended, Easy, 30 ft Burst Area, Selective
*Flat Extras: Change Velocity, Increased Mass (x10, 25 tons)

Psychic Probe (20 PP)
*Mind Reading: 6 ranks @ 3 PP per rank (Perception)
*Extras: Effortless
*Flat Extras: Subtle (x2)

Advantages (8 PP)
*Attractive (x2)
*Skill Mastery: Expertise-Magic
*Ritualist
*Power Attack
*Die Hard
*Prone Fighting
*Jack of All Trades

Skills (10 PP / 20 SP)
*Expertise Magic 16 (+2 Intellect = 18)
*Investigate 4 (+2 Intellect = 6)
*Perception 0 (+6 Awareness = 6)
*Insight 0 (+6 Awareness = 6)

Defences (18 PP)
*8 Dodge (+0 Agility = 8)
*8 Parry (+0 Fighting = 8)
*0 Fortitude (+8 Stamina = 8)
*2 Will (+6 Awareness = 8)

Total: 32 Abilities + 53 Abomination Biology + 9 Magic Powers + 8 Advantages + 10 Skills + 18 Defences = 130

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-17, 08:15 PM
Do we have any ground rules as far as posting speed expectations or post etiquette?
2 posts a week probably works. What do you mean "post etiquette"?

Benoojian
2024-02-17, 09:24 PM
2 posts a week probably works. What do you mean "post etiquette"?

Rules like "Use bold and choose a color for your characters dialogue" or how to handle it when multiple people want to talk to the same NPC (hint, free-for-all on this one leads to the NPC having like 15 questions thrown at them at once which doesn't feel like a real conversation but only letting one character talk can kill a game momentum if that person takes forever to respond. So it's a tough balance to find actually.)

Also, are we allowed to split the party. are we encouraged to split the party?

It also includes rules like every single person must post before you can post again (I don't recommend this one) or minimum length of a post

Also maximum length of a post sometimes comes up (my personal rule is you cannot have more than one short paragraph that doesn't contain dialogue or an action, only to stop people from backstory dumping in a way no one can interact with)

Most DMs end up with a few of these type of rules, sometimes not even realizing they're enforcing them.

JeminiZero
2024-02-18, 09:10 AM
As requested, I have dropped Healing on Jenova, and added a Mass Teleport, to lean into her Transport role. Since we have a speedster, I've dropped Time Stop for Power-Lifting in the Malleable Flesh array.

I've rearranged her damage powers a little, and given her Mind Reading instead of Mind Control.

Finally, I've tacked on 10 Regen. She is still "only" 130PP, but for playtest purposes, I'm good to go as is.

What do you guys expect from me?
Since this is a playtest of Valiant rules, we should first nail down which are the rules we are using.

I recall we are using the 3E version of Healing, Regen and Impervious. But Valiant Damage/Recovery and Skills (Thievery, Computers, Mechanics and Electronics).

Other Rules:
*Succeeding on saves vs Area now grants a bonus die on the Effect save
*Disabled condition now grants a penalty die, instead of a flat -5

Anything I'm missing out?

And, what's one or two things you've always wanted to do in a superhero rpg but haven't?
The first thing that comes to mind is catching a passenger jet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tU0vG9UJ2I). :smalltongue:

Batcathat
2024-02-18, 12:14 PM
What do you guys expect from me? And, what's one or two things you've always wanted to do in a superhero rpg but haven't?

As I think I mentioned at some point, most of my M&M experience has been using it for non-superhero stuff (it's a pretty versatile system when it comes to portraying most types of supernatural powers or beings, I think) so I'm down for pretty much any superhero stuff. It's been ages since I played a game set in the Marvel Universe, so taking advantage of that (whether by characters, lore or something else) might be fun. Tone-wise I tend to prefer something in the middle rather than grimdark or goofy, but I've had enjoyable exceptions to that.

And if I may be a little pedantic, it's "Cthul-Lad", with a hyphen.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-18, 06:10 PM
Rules like "Use bold and choose a color for your characters dialogue" or how to handle it when multiple people want to talk to the same NPC (hint, free-for-all on this one leads to the NPC having like 15 questions thrown at them at once which doesn't feel like a real conversation but only letting one character talk can kill a game momentum if that person takes forever to respond. So it's a tough balance to find actually.)

It also includes rules like every single person must post before you can post again (I don't recommend this one) or minimum length of a post

Also maximum length of a post sometimes comes up (my personal rule is you cannot have more than one short paragraph that doesn't contain dialogue or an action, only to stop people from backstory dumping in a way no one can interact with)

Most DMs end up with a few of these type of rules, sometimes not even realizing they're enforcing them.
Yeah I don't have rules like that. Just be fun and friendly and we'll be fine.

As requested, I have dropped Healing on Jenova, and added a Mass Teleport, to lean into her Transport role. Since we have a speedster, I've dropped Time Stop for Power-Lifting in the Malleable Flesh array.

I've rearranged her damage powers a little, and given her Mind Reading instead of Mind Control.

Finally, I've tacked on 10 Regen. She is still "only" 130PP, but for playtest purposes, I'm good to go as is.

Since this is a playtest of Valiant rules, we should first nail down which are the rules we are using.

I recall we are using the 3E version of Healing, Regen and Impervious. But Valiant Damage/Recovery and Skills (Thievery, Computers, Mechanics and Electronics).

Other Rules:
*Succeeding on saves vs Area now grants a bonus die on the Effect save
*Disabled condition now grants a penalty die, instead of a flat -5

Anything I'm missing out?

The first thing that comes to mind is catching a passenger jet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tU0vG9UJ2I). :smalltongue:
We'll test the new Toughness check system and the new bonus/penalty dice mainly. Catching a plane would be insane!

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-18, 06:11 PM
I'm not starting this until GitP fixes the site so no rush.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-19, 06:54 AM

I should address these now that I can navigate the site a little easier:

You can pick/use a font color you like.
You can post IC/OOC whenever you want. I can handle multiple posts. It helps a lot when players (I'm guilty of not doing this) read what's already been posted prior to making a post. Even sometimes someone will post while you're making a post so maybe preview the post first? That's up to you.
I have no problem with split parties since pbp handles it nicely.
Post can be any length. To get a point across some people use a paragraph or three while others can do it with a sentence. That's up to you.
One thing I've noticed in other games is players ignoring each others' characters/posts. Acting is part of role-playing (a big part) and some good advice is if you feel uninspired or nervous just focus on another character. It takes the focus off of you and gives you something to post about.

The focus is being friendly and doing fun stuff like what happens in comic books and superhero movies :smallsmile:

RossN
2024-02-19, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the addition! :smallsmile:

Been very busy the last few days but I'll give some thought to what I want and post more later.

Mistral

https://i.ibb.co/JqBhQ46/Mistral.jpg

Abilities
Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 4, Dexterity 3, Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 2

Powers

Fast Attack: Damage 3 [Multiattack 5, Selective 5] Alt: Damage Area: Damage 3 (14 points)
Enhanced Defences: Enhanced Dodge 7, Enhanced Parry 7 (14 points)
Super-Speed: Speed 15, Enhanced Advantages (Improved Initiative) 3, Quickness 10, Concealment 4 [Limited to While Moving] (32 points)
Run On Water: Movement (Run On Water): Movement 2 [Water Walking, Limited to While Moving] (1 points)
Run Up Walls: Movement (Wall-crawling): Movement 2 [Wall-crawling, Limited to While Moving] (2 points)

[b]Equipment

Advantages
Beginner's Luck, Defensive Roll 3, Evasion 2, Instant Up, Move-by Action, Takedown 1, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+8), Athletics 8 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+10), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise: Pop Culture 6 (+6), Insight (+1), Intimidation (+2), Perception 8 (+9), Persuasion 6 (+8), Ranged Combat: Thrown 6 (+9), Stealth 6 (+10)

Offense
Initiative +16
Throw +9, Damage 2, Multiattack 5, Selective 5 Fast Attack +10, Damage 5

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 11
Toughness 5 (Def Roll 3), Fortitude 8, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 36 + Powers 63 + Advantages 10 + Skills 28 + Defenses 13 = Total 150

Complications

Reputation: Mistral has a reputation as a bit of an airhead, thanks to her speech patterns ("dude", "like", "whatever" as so on feature regular in her speech patterns), none to serious persona (she'll frequently comment approvingly or disapprovingly on a villain's fashion sense) and technological illiteracy ("Look out he's about to fire the, um, gizmo-thingie!")

Secret Identity: Mistral is really Jesse O'Connor, a university student. As Jesse she (or rather he) has no powers.

Power Loss: Mistral can be tricked into losing her magical powers by saying "Presto chango" which reverts her back into being Jesse. Miles can turn into Mistral by saying the same phrase but must wait an hour before being able to shift.

Relationship: Casey Wu is a classmate of Jesse's and his long time best friend along with being the only person who knows who Mistral really is. Much smarter than her bff she is essentially Jesse/Mistral's tech and research gal. They've been friends forever but their relationship is getting a little more awkward these days since Casey, a lesbian has a crush on Mistral but is strictly platonic with Jesse.

Background

'Mistral' is the name of three separate superheroines over the years, all blessed with superspeed from the same magical source, the Ancient Greek goddess of breezes Aura (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aura_(mythology)). The first was a 1940s reporter named Alicia Dupree who foiled a plot by Axis agents to steal a magical statue of the goddess and was rewarded with fantastic speed. She had an illustrious career during the Second World War but vanished on a mission inside Germany in 1945.

In the 1960s the second Mistral appeared when the statue of Aura somehow ended up in the basement of a library in Atlanta and was found by a young librarian named Emily Hill. Emily was empowered by the goddess and during the Silver Age fought injustice and intolerance and was a strong advocate for feminism and civil rights. She retired from the superhero scene in the late 1970s, dillusioned by Watergate and the Vietnam War and her powers gradually faded.

The third and current Mistral is the first male to take up the identity... or at least he was originally male. This time the statue of Aura (in it's mysterious way) had ended up in the quad of the university where Jesse O'Connor was a student (admittedly more interested in parting than studying.) One night he witnessed another student and his buddies getting way too friendly with a female friend and charged to the rescue - and nearly got killed. Fortunately the statue was nearby and intervened and Jesse, lying bruised and bloody on the grass found himself saying the words "presto chango".

Suddenly he became a she and one who could move very, very fast. The girl was rescued and the thugs sent to jail and a new superheroine was born.

Jesse now spends his normal life as a student and his secret life as the "kickass babe with superpowers" Mistral.

Rook.Gamer
2024-02-19, 08:20 PM
Sorry for being absent for a bit. Been having a lot of trouble accessing the site.

I like the focus on fun and friendly. I’ll do my best. A couple of times a week posting rate seems great.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-21, 05:55 AM
Glad everyone posted. I'll have more later.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-21, 06:31 PM
The IC thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?664787-IC-Rise-of-the-Champions-M-amp-M-3-2&p=25968313#post25968313) is up :smallsmile:

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-22, 06:06 AM
Of course the setting has its superheroes but your group has decided to get involved. Maybe you know of each other or maybe not. Superheroes have free reign to operate however you like unless you break serious laws.

JeminiZero
2024-02-23, 08:15 AM
Question for the GM: Have any of our characters met before? Or heard of each other before?

Jenova has Detect Magic with Analytical. So here is a request to my fellow players:

1. What (if any) magic does Jenova detect on your character?

2. If your character has an alternate or "unpowered" form, what (if any) magic does Jenova detect on that form?

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-23, 08:43 AM
Question for the GM: Have any of our characters met before? Or heard of each other before?
If you want players can form relationships between your characters. You can work out the details here on the OOC thread. You would also gain a new Complication: Relationship (with one or more teammates) which would produce Hero points when the characters work together.

Do you know the other's secret identity? Do you know the other's powers and skills? I'd like to avoid romantic relationships between characters so no one feels uncomfortable. But your supers being friends or even family is cool and totally up to the players.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-23, 08:50 AM
If possible I'd like to have a pic of each super posted if you haven't already and thanks.

Rook.Gamer
2024-02-23, 08:58 AM
Quarry is an elemental creature and he was fused with Elliot through Druidic magic. Elliot has some abilities even when he’s not transformed so I would expect there is some trace of magic surrounding him at all times. He also has immunity (half effect) to all magic. I don’t know how that would interact with your spell.

Maybe Jenova would only detect a very faint presence and maybe not be able to pinpoint it as usual or perhaps she’d have to make a DC check to pick his aura out against other trace magic in the world. Just pondering

Batcathat
2024-02-23, 09:04 AM
1. What (if any) magic does Jenova detect on your character?

While Nathan's origin is definitely magical, I haven't really considered to what degree his powers are magic (as opposed to just the result of his new physique), though I suppose at least some of them are likely to be actively magical, so I imagine Nathan's baseline is at least a little magic, that might increase as he uses his powers.

If possible I'd like to have a pic of each super posted if you haven't already and thanks.

I included this in the recruitment thread, but I don't think I put it anywhere else (as the sheet only allowed for a little one) so I might as well post it again here:

https://i.postimg.cc/VLFmhk13/clad3.jpg

Benoojian
2024-02-23, 02:01 PM
Bioshock is not magical at all, her powers are Mutant. Not x- gene though, they required some experimentation to activate.

If anyone is on the slightly shadier side of good I could use an accomplice for blowing up a government lab that was experimenting on children in my backstory? That’s one way we could know each other.

JeminiZero
2024-02-23, 11:15 PM

There is a pic in Jenova's sheet (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25965267&postcount=3).

He also has immunity (half effect) to all magic. I don’t know how that would interact with your spell.
Mechanically, Immunity (https://www.d20herosrd.com/6-powers/effects/effect-descriptions/immunity-defense/) functions as:

You are immune to certain effects, automatically succeeding on any resistance check against them.

As senses don't offer a resistance check, they are therefore not blocked by immunity. To circumvent senses, you will want the Concealment power instead.

There are other implications to this. Notably, beneficial effects which do not offer a resistance check (like Jenova's Mass Teleport) will also work.

Maybe Jenova would only detect a very faint presence and maybe not be able to pinpoint it as usual or perhaps she’d have to make a DC check to pick his aura out against other trace magic in the world. Just pondering

Let me know if that changes your answer.

While Nathan's origin is definitely magical, I haven't really considered to what degree his powers are magic (as opposed to just the result of his new physique), though I suppose at least some of them are likely to be actively magical, so I imagine Nathan's baseline is at least a little magic, that might increase as he uses his powers.

Alright.

Rook.Gamer
2024-02-24, 01:03 AM
The fusion of the elemental spirit that is Quarry with Elliot was accomplished by magic years ago. That said all of his abilities are elemental descriptors and not magical.

I was assuming Jenova’s detect magic was a spell with the usual checks and whatnot but if it’s a straight forward sense then certainly his immunity wouldn’t enter into it.

So while I am fine saying he has trace amounts of magic around him in an effort to pave the way for Jenova and Elliot to meet, being a fan of weaving a good story over strictly following the written mechanics.

Mechanically he has no magic or spells to detect.

JeminiZero
2024-02-24, 07:13 AM
So while I am fine saying he has trace amounts of magic around him in an effort to pave the way for Jenova and Elliot to meet, being a fan of weaving a good story over strictly following the written mechanics.

I don't think it is necessary for Jenova and Elliot to meet this way. The GM likely has something planned that will bring us together, regardless of where we are or what we are doing.

Do what you feel is true for your character. It's perfectly fine if Quarry doesn't ping as magical in any way. :smallsmile:

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-24, 07:46 AM
Steve Kenson announces new Advantages (https://greenronin.com/blog/2024/02/20/taking-advantage/) for Valiant Adventures! If a player wants to swap a character's current advantage for one of the new ones just let me know.

Rook.Gamer
2024-02-24, 09:38 AM
There’s a few of those that look promising for Quarry. I’ll see about tweaking his sheet a bit and let you know.

Benoojian, I don’t think Elliot would be your guy. Seems like you would need some stealth to set that up first off and secondly while Elliot would be all for destroying such a facility explosives aren’t his thing. U less I misread what you’re going.

I was looking around and found something pretty close to what I was imagining by taggedzi over at deviant art:

https://www.deviantart.com/taggedzi/gallery (https://www.deviantart.com/taggedzi/art/Stone-Golem-Monster-3-970537327)

Batcathat
2024-02-24, 01:23 PM
If anyone is on the slightly shadier side of good I could use an accomplice for blowing up a government lab that was experimenting on children in my backstory? That’s one way we could know each other.

Nathan is definitely on the shadier side, so he'd probably be up for it though I'm not sure how he would get involved in something like that.

Steve Kenson announces new Advantages (https://greenronin.com/blog/2024/02/20/taking-advantage/) for Valiant Adventures! If a player wants to swap a character's current advantage for one of the new ones just let me know.

Menacing attack would be a pretty good fit, but I'm not sure what I would give up. I'll think about it.

Also, it doesn't fit Cthul-Lad at all, but Gadgets seems like a fun one (though potentially overpowered) that I look forward to using on some future character.

JeminiZero
2024-02-25, 08:37 PM
Nathan is definitely on the shadier side, so he'd probably be up for it though I'm not sure how he would get involved in something like that.
Maybe Nathan was kidnapped for experimentation in the same facility as BioShock on Halloween. It was only once the kidnappers were back at base, that they realized the tentacles were not part of a costume.

Looking through the list, here are some thoughts.

The text specifies "your Reaction" in several places. My guess is you only get one Reaction per round now, same as D&D3.5 Immediate Action.

Counterattack: If an opponent hits you with a Close Attack, you can use your Reaction to make an immediate Attack against them, before your Resistance Check against their attack’s Effect, if any.

Counterattack doesn't specify your immediate attack must be a close attack. Which means in theory, you can shoot an enemy in the face as your Counterattack. This seems amazing actually, and would work great on any build.

Ripose: If an opponent misses you with a Close Attack, you can use your Reaction to make an immediate Close Attack against them.

Ripose on the other hand, DOES specify you must use a close attack. If you have both Counterattack and Ripose, whenever an enemy makes a close attack, if they hit, Counterattack activates, if they miss, Ripose activates.

Generally, both of these together (or replace Ripose with Exploit Momentum), make Close Attacks a more dangerous option.

This also creates the potential for a Counterattack/Ripose chain reaction: Let's say Batman is fighting Deathstroke, and both have Counterattack/Ripose. Batman throws a punch which hits. This triggers Deathstroke's Counterattack, so he retaliates with a kick, which also hits. This triggers Batman's Counterattack, so he throws another punch... You can quickly see where this is going.

I would like to suggest that we avoid Counterattack/Ripose/Exploit Momentum for this game, as that would really slow down PbP combat.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-26, 03:39 AM
... I would like to suggest that we avoid Counterattack/Ripose/Exploit Momentum for this game, as that would really slow down PbP combat.
I've been running M&M since 2nd edition and it's very clear that REGENERATION and HEALING slow down and prolong combat like nothing else. But most players take those effects and I don't ban them as much as I'd like to. I like the new advantages and if players want to use them that's fine with me.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-26, 04:15 AM
I tried making an IC post but this site is ridiculously slow. I'll try again later today.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-27, 05:20 PM
Posted IC sorry it took so long :smallsmile:

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-02-28, 06:46 PM
@Benoojian, what actor/tress would play BioShock in "Rise of the Champions" the Movie? I'm trying to sort out a pic/token for my map. TIA.

Benoojian
2024-02-29, 06:22 PM
@Benoojian, what actor/tress would play BioShock in "Rise of the Champions" the Movie? I'm trying to sort out a pic/token for my map. TIA.
Can I use the picture from the Quickstart for now?
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/692811778522087445/1212901871212306503/Bioshock.png?ex=65f385e4&is=65e110e4&hm=ba1c2a7ca8a85e909d5f894de3ff0c7f1216e0a0d5284cb daabfd6c03dcbed0d&

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-01, 11:43 AM
Can I use the picture from the Quickstart for now?
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/692811778522087445/1212901871212306503/Bioshock.png?ex=65f385e4&is=65e110e4&hm=ba1c2a7ca8a85e909d5f894de3ff0c7f1216e0a0d5284cb daabfd6c03dcbed0d&
Sure that works. I need initiative and Perception rolls for RossN, Rook.Gamer, Benoojian and anyone else who hasn't made them.

Use the dice rolls link on the OP.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-04, 04:56 AM
I was waiting for everyone to make the rolls and post IC. Bridge post today.

Batcathat
2024-03-04, 06:50 AM
So far it's looking like Cthul-Lad will be the first to act and the least perceptive of what's going on. I'm sure there's no way that'll go wrong. :smalltongue:

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-05, 06:48 AM
Lol

Still working on the scene that will DEFINITELY be up today guys. There's a lot happening and I want it right for you.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-05, 12:57 PM
@JeminiZero, MGJ's "Soul-Fused" reads "... she will not be affected by powers which specifically target humans only." Of course, she won't be immune to all powers that target humans because she would be invincible. I'm guessing she can't be affected by attacks that might banish her from whatever dimension she's in? Also on her "Blindsight-Biological Radar" is that Darkvision? The sense wasn't included but I just wanted to know how that sense worked exactly?

IC bridge scene posted! Please read only what applies to your character and please don't ignore each other: teamwork makes the dream work :smallsmile: Please use the dice roll thread linked above for all rolls please and thanks.

Batcathat
2024-03-06, 03:52 AM
As noted in my IC post, I'm away from books and a bit rusty on M&M combat so don't hesitate to point out anything I might've misremebered about how it works.

JeminiZero
2024-03-06, 07:13 AM
I'm not sure if I missed it. But are we all on the same side of the bridge? Or is Cthul-Lad & Jenova on one side, and Quarry & BioShock on the other side?

Did Cthul-Lad & Jenova see Quarry and BioShock just run past?

@JeminiZero, MGJ's "Soul-Fused" reads "... she will not be affected by powers which specifically target humans only." Of course, she won't be immune to all powers that target humans because she would be invincible.
A better way of thinking about it, is that she will only be targeted by powers which affect both Humans and Abominations. So a simple punch, or a blast will work, since these can affect both Humans and Abominations. But Dominate Person (limited to humans) will not.

I'm guessing she can't be affected by attacks that might banish her from whatever dimension she's in?
To use banishment (sending back to home dimension) as an example, she cannot be banished, unless it affects both Humans and Abominations. So while on Earth she cannot be banished, since Humans are native to Earth.

Similarly, if she were in the Far Realms, she could not be banished, since Abominations are native to the Far Realms.

But if she were someplace else e.g. Asgard, banishment would work, since banishment on Asgard would work against both Humans and Abominations.

Also on her "Blindsight-Biological Radar" is that Darkvision? The sense wasn't included but I just wanted to know how that sense worked exactly?
It is Radar, in the modern technological sense. This is because under Senses (https://www.d20herosrd.com/6-powers/effects/effect-descriptions/senses-sensory/):

RADIO • 1 RANK
You can “hear” radio frequencies including AM, FM, television, cellular, police bands, and so forth. This allows you to pick up on Radio Communication (see the Communication effect). This is the base sense of the radio sense type. It’s ranged, radius, and acute by default.

So for Radio, you just need to add on Accurate, so it can be used to pinpoint targets. And it becomes Radar.

This power is actually applied by the Battlesuit archetype (https://www.d20herosrd.com/character-creation/archetypes/battlesuit/):

Sensors: Senses 12 (Accurate Radio Extended 3 [radar], Darkvision, Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Infravision, Time Sense, Ultra-Hearing) [12 points]

Although Jenova's version does not have Extended 3.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-06, 09:44 AM
Let's say everyone is coming from the same side (left side of the map). Also you guys have a bonus d20 (Advantage) on your attacks for this first round.

Thanks JeminiZero.

Advantage/Bonus die = roll 1d20 twice and use the higher d20.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-07, 11:30 AM
@Batcathat: make a DC20 Toughness check (electrical damage).

@JeminiZero: the Mass Teleport is missing Improved Mass so it can affect more than 50 pounds. You need at least 9 ranks (of Improved Mass) to teleport a city bus filled with passengers.

Batcathat
2024-03-08, 06:23 AM
@Batcathat: make a DC20 Toughness check (electrical damage).

Roll done. Not sure if I should post Cthul-Lad's reaction to it or wait for you to narrate exactly what happens?

Also, did the electricity stop the entire attack and/or were the other bad guys out of reach?

JeminiZero
2024-03-08, 08:06 AM
@JeminiZero: the Mass Teleport is missing Improved Mass so it can affect more than 50 pounds. You need at least 9 ranks (of Improved Mass) to teleport a city bus filled with passengers.
What if I just teleport the passengers only? That should be covered by Affect Others in a Selective Area, right?

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-08, 09:54 AM
What if I just teleport the passengers only? That should be covered by Affect Others in a Selective Area, right?
The power as designed can't 'port more than 50 pounds. What if we redo the power? :smallsmile:

Translocation: Teleport 8, 1 mile, attack, area-burst, selective, subtle, increased mass 10, distracting, unreliable (only 5 uses daily), tiring (-1 Movement until she can rest), Alternate effect

Thoughts?

Roll done. Not sure if I should post Cthul-Lad's reaction to it or wait for you to narrate exactly what happens?

Also, did the electricity stop the entire attack and/or were the other bad guys out of reach?
Shapeable Area is such a small space compared to other options. It's less than 1 m. of volume but that's cool if you want an area-based attack vs. an invisible target for example. But it doesn't cover anywhere near the area of Burst Area. Do you want to change it?

Batcathat
2024-03-08, 10:31 AM
Shapeable Area is such a small space compared to other options. It's less than 1 m. of volume but that's cool if you want an area-based attack vs. an invisible target for example. But it doesn't cover anywhere near the area of Burst Area. Do you want to change it?

It does? It says I can shape 30 cubic feet of area however I want, which should go pretty far if it's stretched out. Or am I reading it wrong?

None of the other area variants really seems like what I'm looking for (which can be a little different depending on context, but in this case is basically a long, thick whip).

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-08, 03:07 PM
It does? It says I can shape 30 cubic feet of area however I want, which should go pretty far if it's stretched out. Or am I reading it wrong?

None of the other area variants really seems like what I'm looking for (which can be a little different depending on context, but in this case is basically a long, thick whip).
It takes some math and is a small area which is probably why I can't remember anyone using Shapeable Area before. How would you reshape 30 cubic feet to hit multiple foes scattered across a 3 meter area/radius?

The Combat: Cthul-Lad was only mildly-injured (-1 Toughness checks) by the shock because it's lethal Damage.

Batcathat
2024-03-09, 08:34 AM
It takes some math and is a small area which is probably why I can't remember anyone using Shapeable Area before. How would you reshape 30 cubic feet to hit multiple foes scattered across a 3 meter area/radius?

The Combat: Cthul-Lad was only mildly-injured (-1 Toughness checks) by the shock because it's lethal Damage.

I think I must be misunderstanding how it works then, I just imagined it to be more or less like a 30 cubic feet "blob" that can be changed into any shape, including stretching it out.

Anyhow, it seems like it might be an unnecessarily complicated way of handling it, so maybe I'll just go with a cone-shaped area, that seems to be the closest to what I'm imagining Cthul-Lad's "whip" to be.

Benoojian
2024-03-09, 01:36 PM
My family got Covid so I've been away from my computer taking care of people, I'll try to respond soon

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-10, 06:20 AM
I think I must be misunderstanding how it works then, I just imagined it to be more or less like a 30 cubic feet "blob" that can be changed into any shape, including stretching it out.

Anyhow, it seems like it might be an unnecessarily complicated way of handling it, so maybe I'll just go with a cone-shaped area, that seems to be the closest to what I'm imagining Cthul-Lad's "whip" to be.
You're right it IS a 30 cubic-foot blob that can be reshaped. You just have to explain how it's being reshaped with each attack is all. Cone-area works but without 'Selective' it would strike everyone and everything within the area including friendlies.

My family got Covid so I've been away from my computer taking care of people, I'll try to respond soon
Take care of yourself Benoojian. We'll be here when you recover.

Batcathat
2024-03-10, 01:19 PM
You're right it IS a 30 cubic-foot blob that can be reshaped. You just have to explain how it's being reshaped with each attack is all. Cone-area works but without 'Selective' it would strike everyone and everything within the area including friendlies.

Alright, that's good. So how would you prefer the explanation, just words or like a drawing or something else? Good point about the cone-area, I'll probably have to add something like that if I do use it.

Also, as a general heads up, I'm out of town and pretty busy until next weekend. I'll be able to post, but might a bit slower to reply than normal.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-10, 02:41 PM
Alright, that's good. So how would you prefer the explanation, just words or like a drawing or something else? Good point about the cone-area, I'll probably have to add something like that if I do use it.

Also, as a general heads up, I'm out of town and pretty busy until next weekend. I'll be able to post, but might a bit slower to reply than normal.
I'll make Toughness checks for Skullface and Cowboyhat since they're in range.

@Rook.Gamer you can make a DC12 check using the higher of Persuasion or Intimidation to Overwhelm the villains.

RossN
2024-03-10, 09:16 PM
Finally back! So sorry but after a super busy couple of weeks I think I have a more reasonable section going forward.

GM besides the bus are there any endangered civilian types around? That police cruiser is empty right?

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-11, 05:50 AM
Finally back! So sorry but after a super busy couple of weeks I think I have a more reasonable section going forward.

GM besides the bus are there any endangered civilian types around? That police cruiser is empty right?
WB RossN. Tried to update the IC thread but the site's gotten choppy again. The cruiser is on fire and there is a driver inside who seems injured.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-12, 04:58 AM
Updating IC today!

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-12, 12:46 PM
Posted IC: @JeminiZero I just went with Jenova using a Power-Stunt to 'port the bus to safety. You can post where they ends up (and how the passengers and bystanders react if you like). Due to the Stunt Jenova is Fatigued (-1 Movement) until she can rest. She can burn her Hero point to eliminate the Fatigue or not. That work? The superheroes can take their actions now.

JeminiZero
2024-03-13, 08:36 AM
The power as designed can't 'port more than 50 pounds. What if we redo the power? :smallsmile:

Translocation: Teleport 8, 1 mile, attack, area-burst, selective, subtle, increased mass 10, distracting, unreliable (only 5 uses daily), tiring (-1 Movement until she can rest), Alternate effect

Thoughts?

I had always thought that to bring along other people, you need Affects Others for Teleport. And that 50lb limit is only for unattended objects. So if you did have Affects Others, the other people and their equipment (if any) did not count against your mass.

Apparently, I was confusing the M&M3e and the D&D3.5 versions of Teleport.

Re-reading the Teleport (https://www.d20herosrd.com/6-powers/effects/effect-descriptions/teleport-movement/) power:

You can teleport yourself and up to 50 lbs. (mass rank 0) of additional mass a distance rank equal to your effect rank as a move action. Unwilling passengers get a Dodge resistance check to avoid being taken along.

So my formulation of Mass Teleport is completely wrong. If it is alright, I'd like to completely rework Mass Teleport as follows:

Mass Teleport (19 PP)
*Teleport: 1 ranks @ 7 PP per rank (60 ft/move, Extended Distance Rank 9 - 2 miles)

Jenova will then spend a full round action to teleport the people to safety, without needing to power stunt. She will probably wind up at a clearing somewhere behind the police blockade.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-13, 03:07 PM
I had always thought that to bring along other people, you need Affects Others for Teleport. And that 50lb limit is only for unattended objects. So if you did have Affects Others, the other people and their equipment (if any) did not count against your mass.

Apparently, I was confusing the M&M3e and the D&D3.5 versions of Teleport.

Re-reading the Teleport (https://www.d20herosrd.com/6-powers/effects/effect-descriptions/teleport-movement/) power:

So my formulation of Mass Teleport is completely wrong. If it is alright, I'd like to completely rework Mass Teleport as follows:

Mass Teleport (19 PP)

Jenova will then spend a full round action to teleport the people to safety, without needing to power stunt. She will probably wind up at a clearing somewhere behind the police blockade.
That all looks fine. I'll remove the Hindered condition.

RossN
2024-03-13, 05:19 PM
A trio of pretty dismal rolls to start things off with. :smalleek::smallfrown:

Mistral is in close combat with Cowboy Hat.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-14, 10:28 AM
A trio of pretty dismal rolls to start things off with. :smalleek::smallfrown:

Mistral is in close combat with Cowboy Hat.
Get the bad rolls out the way 🙂 I'll update the IC tonight.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-14, 12:39 PM
Once JeminiZero has posted I'll wrap up round 2. Rook.Gamer and Benoojian needs to make checks. You guys are working together well so I'll give everyone another Hero point. That gives everyone 2 HP. Please pause so anyone who hasn't posted yet can and thanks.

Batcathat
2024-03-15, 04:50 PM
Once JeminiZero has posted I'll wrap up round 2. Rook.Gamer and Benoojian needs to make checks. You guys are working together well so I'll give everyone another Hero point. That gives everyone 2 HP. Please pause so anyone who hasn't posted yet can and thanks.

Sounds good. I'm back home but I have a bunch of things to catch up on, so I probably won't be able to read up and post until sometime during the weekend, but after that I should be able to be more active again.

JeminiZero
2024-03-15, 09:34 PM
Once JeminiZero has posted I'll wrap up round 2.
Posted. Sorry, I've been busy as of late.

In any case, Jenova is now about a mile away, and has to spend her next full round action teleporting back. The only question is where she should aim to appear.

Rule of Funny dictates that she teleport into the van, yoink the magical artefact, and teleport out. So that it is empty when Skullface manages to open it. :smalltongue:

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-18, 08:04 AM
@Batcathat WB and Fast Attack allows a grab after a successful hit.
@JeminiZero that would be fiendish lol

Updating today.

SwordCoastTaxi
2024-03-20, 04:25 AM
Yeah. The site is just terrible. I'm having problems even getting in let alone changing pages. I can't continue this game folks but maybe when they update GitP we can try again. Thanks.

Batcathat
2024-03-20, 05:50 AM
Yeah. The site is just terrible. I'm having problems even getting in let alone changing pages. I can't continue this game folks but maybe when they update GitP we can try again. Thanks.

That's a shame, but if the problems are that bad for you (the site have been working alright for me lately, but a few weeks ago it was horrible) it's understandable.

JeminiZero
2024-03-20, 09:51 AM
Thanks for letting us know. Wishing the rest of you all the best!

Rook.Gamer
2024-03-20, 07:35 PM
Bummer. Thanks for the heads up.