PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Damage type for sandstorm?

FrancisBean
2024-02-17, 10:37 PM
Quick hit, but not really suitable for the RAW thread: what damage type would you use for a sandstorm? Picture something like an Arrakeen sandstorm, flaying the meat off the bone by abrasion at a few d6 per round. For purposes of immunities, resistances, and vulnerabilities, what damage type makes the most sense?

JNAProductions
2024-02-17, 10:39 PM
Bludgeoning or piercing, I think. Probably piercing.

Generally physical damage types are either all resisted or none resisted (not always, but usually) so the distinction probably won’t be relevant.

NecessaryWeevil
2024-02-18, 12:44 AM
Hmm! I'd have said slashing, actually, since the sand isn't penetrating deeply but rather tearing the surface away.

gooch
2024-02-18, 12:47 AM
Since you reference Dune, are sandstorms likely to be a recurring theme? It might be best to leave it as Sandstorm damage, since the gear needed to protect from it, like a good mask and goggles, shouldn't really be affecting weapon resistance.
Otherwise, piercing sounds about right.

Amnestic
2024-02-18, 05:23 AM
Slashing for sure - if it's flaying skin bit by bit, it's tiny granule slashing over skin.

stoutstien
2024-02-18, 07:27 AM
Damage types are largely interchangeable so just pick one and go with it. Alternatively mix them up like flame strike does though that can get cumbersome.

Xihirli
2024-02-18, 09:18 AM
Pick a physical, add a smidge of fire.

KorvinStarmast
2024-02-18, 12:10 PM
I would go with slashing, since piercing seems to be countered by some forms of clothing or protective equipment.
But if you go with piercing it still makes sense.

Imbalance
2024-02-18, 12:30 PM
Slashing with modified drowning rules. Maybe blindness, too.

Jurai
2024-02-18, 02:24 PM
Slashing damage, as 3.5's Sandstorm merely delineates lethal and nonlethal as conditional on the intensity of the storm, but even then, it only deals 1d3 damage, not d6s of it. You'd probably also want to include Strength or Constitution saves to avoid being pushed back by the wind, as well as disadvantage on ranged weapon attacks and Perception checks.

Psyren
2024-02-18, 02:46 PM
+1 slashing, and of course throw in difficult terrain, obscurement etc.

tchntm43
2024-02-19, 10:26 PM
Honestly, it doesn't really 100% fit any type. There are aspects of all three physical types but none of them are a perfect match. If the game had something called "Erosive" or "Blasting" damage, it would be that.

I agree with the suggestion to leave it as its own type of damage, which nobody has resistance to.

clash
2024-02-20, 08:01 AM
Sandstorms should deal earth damage. Simple and avoids interactions with exciting damage types.

Oramac
2024-02-20, 09:20 AM
Why, thunder damage, of course!!

https://youtu.be/y6120QOlsfU?si=R1Awl27etmdyW3yk

(in all seriousness, I agree with the poster that suggested it being its own damage type; requiring special gear to resist.)

Psyren
2024-02-20, 10:20 AM
I honestly like the idea that physical damage resistance would help you against a sandstorm though. I don't think an Earth Elemental or a Mummy would take the same damage from a sandstorm as a normal person - heck, even a Barbarian should be able to pop rage and resist it, dervish-style. So maybe I change my answer and say it does all three (BPS), and resistance to all three applies.

Witty Username
2024-02-21, 12:35 AM
I would go with slashing, since piercing seems to be countered by some forms of clothing or protective equipment.
But if you go with piercing it still makes sense.

Protective equipment may be beneficial to a scenario like this, since it could allow for planning, or giving a flavor to NPC locals.

I slightly lean piercing, but slashing works pretty well.

NecessaryWeevil
2024-02-22, 06:14 PM
I honestly like the idea that physical damage resistance would help you against a sandstorm though. I don't think an Earth Elemental or a Mummy would take the same damage from a sandstorm as a normal person - heck, even a Barbarian should be able to pop rage and resist it, dervish-style. So maybe I change my answer and say it does all three (BPS), and resistance to all three applies.

...so...like...one point of each?:smallconfused: Or do you mean that resistance to any of those three qualifies?

Psyren
2024-02-22, 09:47 PM
...so...like...one point of each?:smallconfused: Or do you mean that resistance to any of those three qualifies?

I actually haven't decided, either of those could work. 5e seems to favor the former (and it's easier) so that's probably what I'd end up with.

(It would probably be closer to 1d10 each than 1 each, though, using the Improvising Damage rules. (https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/dmg/running-the-game#ImprovisingDamage))

OldTrees1
2024-02-23, 02:14 AM
Slashing damage to start with. It is lots of tiny shallow slices as sand swipes past you. (just like sandpaper would be slashing)

As the wind grows stronger it is picking up larger rocks. Then there would be a risk of bludgeoning damage in addition to the ongoing slashing.

Finally the wind picks up even more. Its projectiles are tunneling through the walls it hits. At that time all the damage becomes piercing.

So, slashing damage for your sandstorm.