PDA

View Full Version : Changing Disciplines

Dhavaer
2007-12-14, 06:37 AM
How unbalancing would it be, if at all, to allow martial adepts to exchange disciplines? For example, I want to use both Iron Heart and Desert Wind, so I play a Warblade and remove Diamond Mind and/or White Raven from my allowed disciplines in exchange for Desert Wind.

Armads
2007-12-14, 06:40 AM
It depends on which disciplines are being swapped out. For example, it'll probably be very strong for a swordsage to drop Desert Wind for White Raven (mainly because White Raven is ridiculously powerful and Desert Wind isn't spectacular), while getting Desert Wind in place of Devoted Spirit as a crusader would be quite bad.

Zephyros
2007-12-14, 08:56 AM
Most requests would be for gaining access to Iron Heart and White Raven, which would be somehow unballancing but not that terrible a threat for a DM to reject them.

I have a different question about ToB. When u exchange a maneuver, and the maneuver u wanna take has preqs, do you have to meet those before the exchange or still meet them afterwards. Eg. You wanna take a Tiger Claw maneuver that needs 3 tiger claw maneuvers as a preq. You know 3 TC maneuvers and you want to exchange one of them for the new one. Is it valid?

Valairn
2007-12-14, 09:28 AM
In response to Zephyros it would not be terribly unbalancing to allow that sort of switching out. But as far as whether it's legal or not, you'd probably have to ask Wizards.

Person_Man
2007-12-14, 09:53 AM
Depends on your party. If everyone else in the group is a full caster and/or well optimized, then I tend to approve almost any build tweak a player wants. But if the party is a mixed bag and/or has any newbs playing in it, then I generally ask everyone to stick to RAW.