PDA

View Full Version : NPC Stat Array Progression?

InfiniteMiller
2007-12-14, 11:09 AM
Hey guys.

Starting tonight I'm gonna try my hand at DMing a session or two, and am working on writing it into a campaign. My usual DM and the other players are kind of excited for this change of pace but I have a question regarding my NPCS.

Is it common to progress the stat arrays that friendly or enemy NPCs use, or should all of those stat increases be attributed to magic items in their WBL?

I'm starting off with a few mini-bosses with the Elite Array and I'm wondering if I should use a different stat array when the PCs are level 5, 10, 15, etc.

Thanks.

RTGoodman
2007-12-14, 11:50 AM
Well, in general the Elite Array should work out fine. Or, if your PCs have stats significantly better, you could even just give the main antagonist(s) their stats instead. Or, since you're the DM, you can just make them whatever you want.

As far as changing the arrays by level, don't worry about it. At levels 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20 they still get a point to put in any ability score (just like normal), and they can use their WBL to get items that boost their ability scores. Combined, those should be fine.

Also, if you're not into just using the Elite Array you might check out using the Point Buy system (it's in the DMG) to bump up the NPCs' important stats and downplay the others.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-14, 11:56 AM
I'd say just make the whatever you want. If you want to use elite raise them every four levels.

Craig1f
2007-12-14, 11:58 AM
I think a common practice is to give most monsters the average array (all 10's plus racial modifiers). Tougher fights should use the elite array. Boss's often use the Epic array (18,16,14,13,12,10)

InfiniteMiller
2007-12-14, 01:28 PM
Alright guys thanks for the insight.

Miles Invictus
2007-12-14, 02:14 PM
I give my stock monsters the average array, with a +2 bonus to one or two relevant attributes (strength for melee, dex for ranged, etc). Notable encounters get the same array as my players.