PDA

View Full Version : Half-Devil and Chosen of Asmodeus [Templates, Isle of X]

RandomFellow
2007-12-14, 11:27 AM
I'm mainly looking for feedback on whether or not the crunch is balanced...

Half-Devil Template

Unlike half-fiends, half-devils require a bit of artificial 'help' by either the devil or mortal involved in the breeding process. Half-Devils were originally created by Asmodeus's servants to serve as foot soldiers in his war against the Elven Pantheon. Modern Half-Devils serve as his agents on the Material Plane, subverting mortals into devilish pacts and striking down the forces of good. The conflict between Demons and Devils has long been fierce, and with the Devil's smaller population...it is better to conserve the core of one's strength and expend the less valuable troops on tasks less vital than survival of Devil-kind.

Unlike half-fiends, half-devils are neither mistreated or abused by devils more than any other creature. From the devil's world view...if it is weaker than me I own it, if it isn't...I avoid its attention so it cannot force me into servitude. Impure or not, many of Asmodeus's most powerful servants on the Material Plane are Half-Devils capable of striking down even a pure-blooded Pit Fiend.

Size and Type:
Same as base creature

Speed:
A half-devil has massive leathery wings. Unless the base creature has a better fly speed, the creature can fly at the base creature’s land speed with average maneuverability. If the base creature has a better fly speed, their existing fly speed gains a racial bonus of +10'.

Armor class:
The half-devil's leathery, hardened flesh gives him a +4 racial bonus to natural armor.

Attack:
A half-devil, without any existing natural weapons, has two claw attacks and a bite attack, and the claws are the primary natural weapon. The damage

{table=head]Size|Bite Damage|Claw Damage
Fine|1|—
Diminutive|1d2|1
Tiny|1d3|1d2
Small|1d4|1d3
Medium|1d6|1d4
Large|1d8|1d6
Huge|2d6|1d8
Gargantuan|3d6|2d6
Colossal|4d6|3d6
[/table]

Full Attack
A half-devil fighting without weapons uses both claws and its bite when making a full attack. If armed with weapon(s), it will substitute the weapon(s) in place of claw(s) as its primary weapon.

Special Attacks:
The base creature retains all existing special attacks.

Special Qualities:
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Immunity to poison.
Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, sonic 5, and fire 10.
A half-devil’s natural weapons (or any manufactured weapon the half-devil) are treated as magic weapons as well as lawful evil aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Spell-like Abilities
A half-devil is able to cast Minor Image as a SLA once per day. A half-devil with 9 or more HD gains the ability to cast Greater Teleport (self plus carried objects only) at will. The caster level of all Half-Devil SLA's are equal to the Half-Devil's HD+2.

Change Shape (Su)
A Half-Devil can assume the form of any humanoid of the same size.

Abilities:
Increase from the base creature as follows: +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Int, +4 Wis, +4 Cha

Alignment
Any alignment. However, a Half-Devil will always detect as Lawful and Evil.

Challenge Rating:
Same as base creature.

Level Adjustment:
+3

CR Adjustment:
+2

Chosen of Asmodeus Template

The Chosen of Asmodeus are a group of the Archdevil's most powerful mortal agents. As such, they are both his greatest advantage and disadvantage over the eternal conflict for the souls of mortals. The Chosen are powerful beings of evil capable of silencing a cleric's cries for divine intervention from miles away.

Although it is said that a few cunning mortals have managed to entice Asmodeus into granting this boon without the obedience it implies. Such rumors are pure fiction, of course. Why would Asmodeus invest a mortal with a portion of his great power if that mortal would not obey his will?

"Chosen of Asmodeus" is an acquired template that can be added to any creature with either the Half-Devil template or the [Divine Blooded] subtype (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Size and Type:
Same as base creature

Special Attacks:
The base creature retains all existing special attacks.

Rebuking Undead
A Chose of Asmodeus gains whichever of the following resulting a higher effective level for purposes of Rebuking:
The ability to Rebuke Undead as a cleric of the Chosen's HD+1.
The Chosen's effective cleric level for purposes of Rebuking Undead increases by 5.

Special Qualities:
A Chosen of Asmodeus retains all of the base creatures special qualities and gains Divine Interdiction, Aura of Evil, and Auravision.

Divine Interdiction (Su)
A Chosen of Asmodeus blocks any cleric who does not serve Asmodeus within a 10 mile radius. A cleric who fails a DC 10+Chosen's Cha Modifier Will save is prevented from preparing spells or Turning/Rebuking undead while they remain within 10 miles of the Chosen. A cleric who fails his Will save needs to merely leave the area for the effect to stop.

The Chosen of Asmodeus is unable to suppress this ability, ever. In addition, any Cleric affected by this ability (whether they succeed or not on their Will save) immediately knows both the cause and individual responsible.

Aura of Lawful Evil (Ex)
The Chosen of Asmodeus possesses both a lawful and an evil aura. Both auras are as strong as a cleric of the Chosen's HD+4.

Auravision (Su)
A Chosen of Asmodeus is able to view the aura of any creature or object within his view. He knows both sides of the person's aura (law/chaos-axis and good/evil-axis) as well as the strength of the Aura. If at any time, a Chosen of Asmodeus observes a Good aura of twice his HD he is considered Shaken until the source of the Good aura is no longer visible.

Abilities:
Increase from the base creature as follows: +8 Wis, +8 Cha

Alignment
Always Lawful Neutral, Lawful Evil, or Neutral Evil.

Challenge Rating:
Same as base creature.

Level Adjustment:
+2

CR Adjustment:
+1

Arakune
2007-12-14, 12:05 PM
Quite good. But who will play that LA +8 creature? And why a humanoid have a bite attack? Man, that guy are not very pretty :smalleek:

And why lawful neutral?

RandomFellow
2007-12-14, 01:18 PM
Quite good.
Thanks. =)

But who will play that LA +8 creature?

Two of the LA +0 racial templates in my homebrew setting has [Divine Blooded] subtype to dodge the Half-Devil requirement. I probably should add that template to the entry...
Southerner (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3622293&postcount=22)
Northerner (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3622300&postcount=23)
That and (Tbh) these templates are intended really for NPCs rather than players. I just hate templates that NPC-only so I put in the LA. =)

That, and my homebrew setting is intended to be played with modified Gestalt PCs/LBEGs/BBEGs. (e.g. NPC class or Level Adjustment on one track, PC on the other) My Island entry is really intended to be for that setting, even if I'm going to make it generic enough it can be anywhere.

And why a humanoid have a bite attack? Man, that guy are not very pretty :smalleek:

Not supposed to be pretty. =) As for why a humanoid would have a bite attack...I could go up to someone and bite them couldn't I? =) Just imagine those teeth to be capable of tearing through thin metal armor. =)

And why lawful neutral?
I based the alignment choices off the Cleric's whole +1/-1 thing. (e.g. For a LE diety you could be a LN, LE, or NE cleric.) That, and I didn't want all half-devils to be evil incarnate. I hate races like that. ^.^

Arakune
2007-12-14, 02:19 PM
Makes sense, but why Chosen of Asmodeus can be LN? I mean, he are the ultimate BBEG! The lord of hell, he have rights to exist and bring evil in the world! Why neutral?

RandomFellow
2007-12-14, 03:16 PM
Makes sense, but why Chosen of Asmodeus can be LN? I mean, he are the ultimate BBEG! The lord of hell, he have rights to exist and bring evil in the world! Why neutral?

Because:

Although it is said that a few cunning mortals have managed to entice Asmodeus into granting this boon without the obedience it implies. Such rumors are pure fiction, of course. Why would Asmodeus invest a mortal with a portion of his great power if that mortal would not obey his will?

Not 100% sure exactly what logic a NPC or PC could use to get Asmodeus to invest them with power...yet. But I'm planning to come up with a good reason eventually.

Then again, maybe it is better I take that part out. I dunno.

Cuddly
2007-12-14, 03:31 PM
That half-devil is definitely not a CR+4 template. The half-fiend is flat out better, and has a +3 CR, tops.

RandomFellow
2007-12-14, 04:22 PM
That half-devil is definitely not a CR+4 template. The half-fiend is flat out better, and has a +3 CR, tops.

Do you also think I should lower the LA as well? Or just the CR?

Cuddly
2007-12-14, 04:36 PM
Definitely lower the LA. Half fiend LA comes from, in part, SR, DR, and a bunch of powerful offensive Sp.

I see it about on par with a half-dragon in power.

RandomFellow
2007-12-14, 05:01 PM
K, I'll change it to CR +2 and LA +3.

RandomFellow
2007-12-16, 10:10 AM
Warning: Bump Detected.

RandomFellow
2007-12-28, 10:39 PM
Since I revised this based on feedback from the WotC boards I figure I'll bump it to see if anyone has any thoughts. =)

Witch
2007-12-29, 09:43 AM
Because:

Not 100% sure exactly what logic a NPC or PC could use to get Asmodeus to invest them with power...yet. But I'm planning to come up with a good reason eventually.

Then again, maybe it is better I take that part out. I dunno.

Asmodeus is not just a devil, he's The Devil. Nobody wins in deals with The Devil, because he has loopholes all over the place. And even if you are not personally Lawful Evil when you have this template, rest assured that you will serve the cause of Hell where ever you go. Otherwise, Asmodeus would just retract his boons.

Regarding mechanics, there's no way the Chosen of Asmodeus template is a CR +4. CR +2 at most, but probably not even that. I'd put it at CR +1, and LA +2 or so.

RandomFellow
2007-12-29, 08:30 PM
Asmodeus is not just a devil, he's The Devil. Nobody wins in deals with The Devil, because he has loopholes all over the place. And even if you are not personally Lawful Evil when you have this template, rest assured that you will serve the cause of Hell where ever you go. Otherwise, Asmodeus would just retract his boons.

Even The Devil can be tricked. Otherwise, he'd be God and therefore infallible. And the version of Asmodeus I'm using can't retract agreements. Ever.

Regarding mechanics, there's no way the Chosen of Asmodeus template is a CR +4. CR +2 at most, but probably not even that. I'd put it at CR +1, and LA +2 or so.

+8 to two stats? The ability to completely cripple most weaker Clerics? I'll drop it to CR +3 and LA +3.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-29, 08:39 PM
Wow, I like it. I'll be changing the name for my (Epic) campaign..sense Asmodeus assended to godhood in exchange for his Ruby Rod...(Let's just say the high epic charitors just asertained it...and well...meh) Asmodeus became a god and then the Prima Evil was a broke contract (Basicly fine print that the Gods of Law put in it. If Asmodeus ever became a God...he would loose his right to rule hell.) Anyway...in my world Hell is rule by a LG Palidan....

After typeing that..I think the flavor needs very little change...*shrug*

Witch
2007-12-29, 08:54 PM
Even The Devil can be tricked. Otherwise, he'd be God and therefore infallible. And the version of Asmodeus I'm using can't retract agreements. Ever.
So you're going with a version of The Devil that does not put loopholes in every contract that allows him to get out of an agreement because it didn't bind him - that's contrary to a lot of flavor with a long history, but it's your game.
But the fact that you can't trick The Devil doesn't mean he's infallible. It means that he doesn't get tricked by mere mortals that haven't been dealing in high planar politics for millennia, and that haven't got the experience of aeons to fall back on. This is a creature that has succesfully maintained the throne of hell for ages, that has damned nations into eternity into Hell. He should be extremely difficult to trick, almost beyond mortal possibility, and especially so for people that are dumb enough to make a deal with the devil and think it'll end well for them.

+8 to two stats? The ability to completely cripple most weaker Clerics? I'll drop it to CR +3 and LA +3.
Completely cripple most weaker clerics may have a significant LA effect, but is has none whatsoever on CR, given that it doesn't prevent them from casting them, only from preparing. Thus, it's a cool ability, but won't significantly affect how people are dealing with this guy in a fight. Now, how would a +8 to two mental stats raise one's CR by a significant amount? I don't see any reason for that.

RandomFellow
2007-12-29, 09:18 PM
Wow, I like it. I'll be changing the name for my (Epic) campaign..sense Asmodeus assended to godhood in exchange for his Ruby Rod...(Let's just say the high epic charitors just asertained it...and well...meh) Asmodeus became a god and then the Prima Evil was a broke contract (Basicly fine print that the Gods of Law put in it. If Asmodeus ever became a God...he would loose his right to rule hell.) Anyway...in my world Hell is rule by a LG Palidan....

After typeing that..I think the flavor needs very little change...*shrug*

Ya my flavor tends to suck. =)

So you're going with a version of The Devil that does not put loopholes in every contract that allows him to get out of an agreement because it didn't bind him - that's contrary to a lot of flavor with a long history, but it's your game.
But the fact that you can't trick The Devil doesn't mean he's infallible. It means that he doesn't get tricked by mere mortals that haven't been dealing in high planar politics for millennia, and that haven't got the experience of aeons to fall back on. This is a creature that has succesfully maintained the throne of hell for ages, that has damned nations into eternity into Hell. He should be extremely difficult to trick, almost beyond mortal possibility, and especially so for people that are dumb enough to make a deal with the devil and think it'll end well for them.

The mortals that are tricking him are either really, really special or older than he is. My Isle of X Entry is intended as part of a homebrew setting more than anything. That Asmodeus is younger than some of the oldest Elves (who don't grow old) and half-gods.

Completely cripple most weaker clerics may have a significant LA effect, but is has none whatsoever on CR, given that it doesn't prevent them from casting them, only from preparing. Thus, it's a cool ability, but won't significantly affect how people are dealing with this guy in a fight. Now, how would a +8 to two mental stats raise one's CR by a significant amount? I don't see any reason for that.
Because it raises the DCs of the offensive spells by 4 and combined with the rebuking boost means any encounter with one of these guys will involve a small army of mooks.

8th level Cleric+Template = CR 11 but can command as a 13th level cleric+Lyre of the Restless Soul = Rebuking as 19th = Commands CR 8+ Undead. This raises the EL by 2. If I recall correctly, animator/commanded/summoned creatures are part of the animator/summoner/commander's CR. So it's really only a CR 1 increase.

Witch
2007-12-29, 09:40 PM
Because it raises the DCs of the offensive spells by 4 and combined with the rebuking boost means any encounter with one of these guys will involve a small army of mooks.
An increase of DCs of spells by 4 does not increase CR by 3, though.

8th level Cleric+Template = CR 11 but can command as a 13th level cleric+Lyre of the Restless Soul = Rebuking as 19th = Commands CR 8+ Undead. This raises the EL by 2. If I recall correctly, animator/commanded/summoned creatures are part of the animator/summoner/commander's CR. So it's really only a CR 1 increase.
Actually, no. Summoned or Called creatures, or commanded, or whatsoever, only count as part of the summoner's CR if they are summoned inside combat. Otherwise, each contributes to encounter level.

RandomFellow
2007-12-29, 10:09 PM
An increase of DCs of spells by 4 does not increase CR by 3, though.

Actually, no. Summoned or Called creatures, or commanded, or whatsoever, only count as part of the summoner's CR if they are summoned inside combat. Otherwise, each contributes to encounter level.

Boo. =0 I'll drop it to +1 CR then and LA +2. Although I'm still 99% sure it is a mistake. =)