PDA

View Full Version : What god does Tsukiko serve?

Alex Warlorn
2007-12-14, 12:18 PM
I know that the cheapo 3.5 rules have made it so clerics can somehow be granted spells WITHOUT a deity (which I've always found down right weird given the class). But that aside, what deity does Tsukiko serve? Her class requires her to be able to cast divine and arcanic spells.

Is her master Rat?
ANOTHER major question: is the Dark One ONLY the god of the goblins? Or does he have other loyalist? (Imagine the shock to Redcloak if he learned that goblins weren't the only species that the Dark One allowed to serve him).

Whatever god she is granted her power from, it's pretty clear they don't mind the idea of her working for a bored to insanity lich and a revenge minded goblin of the Dark One.

monty
2007-12-14, 12:39 PM
My assumption would be Rat, but that's a guess. I don't have any evidence or anything.

Kaelaroth
2007-12-14, 01:03 PM
My assumption would be Rat, but that's a guess. I don't have any evidence or anything.

What he said.

Mordokai
2007-12-14, 01:19 PM
I don't know of this Rat deity, but Doresain and Orcus strike me as good bet. And this is, of course, just a speculation.

Morty
2007-12-14, 01:21 PM
I don't know of this Rat deity, but Doresain and Orcus strike me as good bet. And this is, of course, just a speculation.

Except they most likely don't exist in OOTSverse.

Ganurath
2007-12-14, 01:27 PM
Maybe she works for the same bosses as Sabine.

Kaerbek
2007-12-14, 02:23 PM
Maybe she works for the same bosses as Sabine.

And that's how Sabine got her clerical powers... of course, I never saw that coming.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-14, 02:36 PM

The OotS-verse deities are the Norse Pantheon (gods of the North), the Sumerian Pantheon (gods of the West), and the Twelve Gods (gods of the South). The Greek Pantheon (gods of the East) was killed by the Snarl.

Rat, I'm presuming, is one of the Twelve Gods who happens to be Evil. I think he's in Start of Darkness.

Mordokai
2007-12-14, 02:48 PM
Except they most likely don't exist in OOTSverse.

You never know. If Tiamat exists, nothing says those two can't be there.

The OotS-verse deities are the Norse Pantheon (gods of the North), the Sumerian Pantheon (gods of the West), and the Twelve Gods (gods of the South). The Greek Pantheon (gods of the East) was killed by the Snarl.

Rat, I'm presuming, is one of the Twelve Gods who happens to be Evil. I think he's in Start of Darkness.

I remember now. It is possible I guess. And about pantheons – nothing says new gods can't be born, as it is shown on Dark one case.

Morty
2007-12-14, 02:53 PM
You never know. If Tiamat exists, nothing says those two can't be there.

The difference being, we've seen Tiamat in Crayons of Time, but we haven't seen those two. Also, Tiamat isn't D&D-specific, but these guys, as far as I know, are. Though I might've seen name Orcus somewhere...

aazru
2007-12-14, 03:11 PM
Maybe she's an Archivist.

Archivists are wielders of divine magic who learn and cast spells through diligent study rather than direct communion with their deity. They study and learn spells with a prayerbook, analogous to a wizard's spellbook, and their magic's strength is based off of Intelligence. Archivists are often familiar with non-human creatures such as aberrations, elementals, and the undead.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-14, 03:19 PM
The difference being, we've seen Tiamat in Crayons of Time, but we haven't seen those two. Also, Tiamat isn't D&D-specific, but these guys, as far as I know, are. Though I might've seen name Orcus somewhere...
It's worth noting that Tiamat is not a multiheaded dragon in Sumerian mythology, but since she's been ingrained into D&D-player consciousness that way, it's understandable that she would be presented as such.

Alex Warlorn
2007-12-14, 03:30 PM
Maybe she's an Archivist.

Archivists are wielders of divine magic who learn and cast spells through diligent study rather than direct communion with their deity. They study and learn spells with a prayerbook, analogous to a wizard's spellbook, and their magic's strength is based off of Intelligence. Archivists are often familiar with non-human creatures such as aberrations, elementals, and the undead.

"I know that the cheapo 3.5 rules have made it so clerics can somehow be granted spells WITHOUT a deity (which I've always found down right weird given the class). But that aside,"

silvadel
2007-12-14, 03:53 PM
Maybe she worships ojnab -- god of defiled graveyards, the undead, and enemy to all bards and banjo specifically.

sikyon
2007-12-14, 04:21 PM
"I know that the cheapo 3.5 rules have made it so clerics can somehow be granted spells WITHOUT a deity (which I've always found down right weird given the class). But that aside,"

That's sorta like asking what the root of 4 is and saying "but negative 2 aside..."

Is there a charaisma based divine class? That would seem like the most logic anwser to me.

Craig1f
2007-12-14, 04:37 PM
We also saw Tiamat when they went to that Kobold Seer. That was the deity the Kobold prayed to.

Kish
2007-12-14, 04:59 PM
I know that the cheapo 3.5 rules have made it so clerics can somehow be granted spells WITHOUT a deity (which I've always found down right weird given the class).
Also the cheapo 3.0 rules, and the cheapo 2ed rules...I don't know about the cheapo 1ed rules, I didn't read it beyond the core three books and that was years ago.

(The irony is, I think clerics without gods are a dumb idea myself. Have ever since I first picked up an AD&D book, back when 2ed was the shiny new thing, and read about them. I just object to misinformed Edition bashing.)

Is there a charaisma based divine class? That would seem like the most logic anwser to me.

THERE IS NO SUCH CLASS AS FAVORED SOUL, YOU HEAR ME?...Anyway, does Tsukiko strike you as having particularly high Charisma? She doesn't seem so to me.

My cat adds, +.

David Argall
2007-12-14, 04:59 PM
It is highly likely she worships at least one of the twelve gods, and Rat is the only one we have clearly identified as evil. Two or three others might qualify, maybe Tiger and Snake, but we lack even a hint. Under the Chinese zodiac, none of the 12 are necessarily good or evil. Each has a variety of possible virtues or sins [which makes it very easy for our zodiac user to say "Just like I predicted"]

Rat is our best guess, but it's unlikely to be better than one chance in three of being correct.

VetMichael
2007-12-14, 05:26 PM
the Aboleth.

What?

Oh, alright.....stupid "12" gods theme....

monty
2007-12-14, 05:32 PM
It is highly likely she worships at least one of the twelve gods, and Rat is the only one we have clearly identified as evil. Two or three others might qualify, maybe Tiger and Snake, but we lack even a hint. Under the Chinese zodiac, none of the 12 are necessarily good or evil. Each has a variety of possible virtues or sins [which makes it very easy for our zodiac user to say "Just like I predicted"]

Rat is our best guess, but it's unlikely to be better than one chance in three of being correct.

I was always under the impression that Snake was good. It's evil in Western cosmology, but I think a lot of Eastern stuff sees snakes as good. Tiger, I don't know.

Old_el_Paso
2007-12-14, 06:04 PM
Anyway, does Tsukiko strike you as having particularly high Charisma? She doesn't seem so to me.

Well since Elan doesn't seem very charismatic at all, we can just assume that charisma=attractiveness in the OotS-verse. In that sense, then yes, she does seem charismatic.

Chronos
2007-12-14, 06:27 PM
I think Rat is the best bet, as well. Not only is he the only one of the Twelve Gods we specifically know to be evil (though there are probably some other evil ones, too), he's also the animal, of the Twelve, which is most likely to hang out in places like graveyards. Consider, for instance, that a rat is one of only two possible familiars allowed for an undead wizard (and Bat isn't a god).

Actually, that would be kind of cool, as a Mystic Theurge, to have a manifestation of your god as a familiar.

Well since Elan doesn't seem very charismatic at all, we can just assume that charisma=attractiveness in the OotS-verse.Elan has demonstrated a far stronger personality than Tsukiko. It's possible for a charismatic person to be annoying, and in fact, a high-charisma character has a greater capability for being annoying than a low-charisma character. And as for looks, well, look what she has to do to get a date.

T-O-E
2007-12-14, 06:37 PM
Strange.
Warning: The Below Makes No Sense Whatsoever, Just A Theory.
Could she be a spy?

That strikes me as a little weird. I cannot understand how the lawful good paladins of the Sapphire Guard worship the rat who is apparently evil.
I have not read sod, can someone please tell me if rat's alignment is genuine.

TDG
2007-12-14, 07:20 PM
Banjulhu of course (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0085.html)

Kish
2007-12-14, 07:21 PM
Well since Elan doesn't seem very charismatic at all, we can just assume that charisma=attractiveness in the OotS-verse.
One word: Xykon.

Nerdanel
2007-12-14, 07:45 PM
Who is saying that Xykon isn't attractive to someone who is into that kind of thing? Just remember how Tsukiko flirted with him, for example.

silvadel
2007-12-14, 08:08 PM
Because she is attracted to money and power (dark helmet)

Doug Lampert
2007-12-14, 09:22 PM
Of Gods known to exist in OotS I think Rat is the favorite.

Of "standard" D&D gods Vecna strikes me as a no-brainer. Undead God of Evil Magic? What's not to love if you are Tsukiko?

Kish
2007-12-14, 09:24 PM
a little weird. I cannot understand how the lawful good paladins of the Sapphire Guard worship the rat who is apparently evil.
I have not read sod, can someone please tell me if rat's alignment is genuine.
Rat is evil, yes.

BobTheDog
2007-12-14, 09:31 PM
Of "standard" D&D gods Vecna strikes me as a no-brainer. Undead God of Evil Magic? What's not to love if you are Tsukiko?

Not to love? The fact that he's her god, and you don't sleep with your god unless you're Greek and want to have the god's wife try to kill you and/or your baby.

But then again, I don't think undead can produce children...

Blue_C.
2007-12-14, 09:47 PM
From what I understand, priests of the southern gods serve the entire pantheon, not any one god in particular.

I am completely basing this assumption on one comic, but it was pretty definitive for my tastes. I can't remember anything that contradicts it, at least. Check it out (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0456.html) (second panel).

On a completely unrelated note, anyone want to make a stab at stating out a raccoon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0451.html) (last panel).

Sstoopidtallkid
2007-12-14, 10:18 PM
Not only that, but when Miko fell, 407 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0407.html), all the 12 Gods struck her down, not just one of them. You can probably favor one god or another, but they appear to work as a unit in most matters.

Chronos
2007-12-14, 10:47 PM
I am completely basing this assumption on one comic, but it was pretty definitive for my tastes. I can't remember anything that contradicts it, at least. Check it out (second panel).Yeah, but he's got a line of a bunch of other clerics behind him, and it looks like there might plausibly be twelve of them. So you could have a hierarchy of priests for each of the Twelve, including a High Priest of each, plus a single High Priest of the Twelve who's above all the rest of them (or possibly a "first among equals" of them).

And I think that Rich is making it a policy to not include gods who originated from D&D material. First of all, there's an intellectual property issue, and second of all, he thinks they might be inaccessible to non-players (some of whom do read the comic). So Vecna, fitting though he might be (and I don't want to contemplate exactly how he'd "fit"), is out.

Blue_C.
2007-12-14, 11:23 PM
Yeah, but he's got a line of a bunch of other clerics behind him, and it looks like there might plausibly be twelve of them. So you could have a hierarchy of priests for each of the Twelve, including a High Priest of each, plus a single High Priest of the Twelve who's above all the rest of them (or possibly a "first among equals" of them).

You have a point. And with the way Durkon, Hilga, and he (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0137.html) approaches their gods, that sounds...sound. But in absence of direct evidence, I'm going to choose to believe otherwise, for no other reason than I want to. :smallbiggrin:

I just remembered the Shujenga class. I don't think she has it, since I think she casts harm, but that's a charisma based divine spellcasting class.

Mauve Shirt
2007-12-15, 12:19 AM
Can someone please tell me where in SoD it's implied that Rat's evil?

Chronos
2007-12-15, 12:31 AM
Can someone please tell me where in SoD it's implied that Rat's evil?It's spread over two pages. Page 40:We learn that the Dark One's divine allies are other evil gods.Page 42:Rat is one of his few allies.
But in absence of direct evidence, I'm going to choose to believe otherwise, for no other reason than I want to.Hey, that's cool. I mean, that's what D&D is all about, right?

Mauve Shirt
2007-12-15, 12:34 AM
OOOOOoooooooh, thanks!

Mando Knight
2007-12-15, 12:44 AM
Well since Elan doesn't seem very charismatic at all, we can just assume that charisma=attractiveness in the OotS-verse. In that sense, then yes, she does seem charismatic.

Woah... Elan not charismatic? Haley mentions in #28 that he's got 18 Charisma... since when is that low?

Sstoopidtallkid
2007-12-15, 02:19 AM
Woah... Elan not charismatic? Haley mentions in #28 that he's got 18 Charisma... since when is that low?Personally he's not charismatic. As in, you wouldn't want to spend too much time talking to him.

silvadel
2007-12-15, 10:49 AM
I disagree -- he is a bard -- I am sure he knows all sorts of funny and interesting stories -- it just that his personal understanding of things is a bit fuzzy and he can become annoying that way.

T-O-E
2007-12-15, 12:48 PM
So, is Rat secretly evil and hiding it from the other eleven of his pantheon? that would explain his alignment and why the Paladins serve ALL twelve.

Antamar
2007-12-15, 06:36 PM
I think she's a Wizard/Cleric/Mystic Theurge of Rat.