View Full Version : Aurangh's Savage Tide OG OoC

Auranghzeb
2024-02-23, 05:20 PM
Post reserved for the DM.

1. What are we playing?
Savage tides. DND 3.5.

2. What setting?
Published Adventure path.
The Free City of Sasserine, North of Cauldron. Greyhawk, but I'm open to touches of Forgotten realms and Ravenloft.

4. How large of a crew are you looking for and where will we play?
I'm looking for 4 and only 4, I don't believe in larger groups in PbP

5. What level?
Lvl 3, milestone system.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
No of course not, 1500 gp. Alternatively. you can trade 1/3 of your wealth for something cool. But only after character selection.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

This is 3.5. In general, all classes from allowed sources are allowed. But I'll chose those I feel are thematic to the premise. Also, see the Homebrew section.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Races in the allowed sources, be sure to read those before asking questions.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Roll [roll]3d6b2+6[/rolllll] x6, order them, that's it. I don't like point buy.

Max HP at first level, then roll. No averages (however see homebrew).

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Run any alignment you want, but roleplay it and roleplay within the group. Fair warning: evil characters and chaotic stupid will likely die fast and painfully or simply not be selected, but you can build your character as you want.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
Since we are using milestone there are no multiclassing penalties, but I'll cap MC at two classes, no dips on prestige classes. You go in, you stay the full run.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Roll in the IC in a spoiler by declaring your actions. read the homebrew rules please.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Changes to classes

Rangers get full progression on Animal Companion they also apply their FE bonus as an Insight bonus to attack (the bonus to damage remains untyped)

Druid's get the ranger's progression on animal companion.

Fighters and Barbarians get unarmed fighting and do 1d6.

Monks get good BAB

Paladins's spells are based on Charisma, their Smite evil ability works for a full round and it is usable 1/encounter instead of 1/day.

Hexblades can use their hex at will, they don't get spells, instead they gain Martial Maneuvers as a Swordsage-1: they can pick from Shadowhand, Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Setting Sun, and White Raven.

All classes with a d4 hp get d6 instead, and classes with a d6 get d8 instead.

All classes get +2 skill points per level.

Tier 1 classes do not need anything nice, so no SAD archivists, etc.

Feats and stuff:

One flaw, one extra feat. No traits. Flaws are a few of the materials allowed from Dragon Magazine.

Feats every odd level (1,3,5,7) If your would benefit more from a feat at lv 6, I'm sorry, take it at lvl 7.

No double stat to any roll even if it's from different sources: i.e. Charisma as Deflection Bonus and Charisma as Dodge bonus do not stack.

I'll type any untyped bonuses (Except the Barbarian's rage and the ranger's FE).

Feats from PF: Vital Strike (and the line of).

Weapon finesse adds Dex to damage.

Bows add Dex to damage, crossbows still need a feat.

Dodge gives you a +2 dodge bonus to AC and Ref Saves.

Iron Will, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, instead give you GOOD Save progression.

Combat reflexes grants 2 extra AoO no more, AoO builds are horrible in PbP, so are grapplers.

However, grappling as a concept is cool and fixing it is a mess unless we use 5ed or CMD and I don't want to go there. Just be advised.

I like combat fast and bloody so:

Natural 20 crits do not need confirmation, other threats do.

A full-attack is a Standard action, max attacks are capped at 6 REGARDLESS of the combination or any ability, max is 6, apply penalties to iteratives as usual.

You can split your movement before and after your standard action, movement provokes AoO as usual.

You can't use Aid another for an attack, that's literally what flanking is for.

You can't have more than an extra standard action per round under any circumstances. i.e Factotum + belt of battle.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
See the other spoiler

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
It is a published path that goes up to lvl 20, a bit of everything, more hack and slash. Not so many puzzles, I expect good role playing from everyone, that is essential. I have run this twice in person, I abbreviate a lot and remove most of the random encounters.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Auto accepted: PH I and II, Spell Compendium, The Complete Series, ToM (no true namers), MoI, Stormwrack, Tome of Blade, Psionics, city scape.
There will be zero transparency with magic and psionics. Assume that I'm not limited to those sources and may use stuff from PF for NPCs and monsters.

I don't usually ban stuff, I simply don't pick characters I don't like, that said, the only allowed materials from Dragon Magazine are Battle Dancer, Mystic Ranger, the above mentioned flaws and stuff related to Sasserine and the adventure. Please don't ask.

16+. Any banned stuff?
See above

Sasserine was a We Jas Cleric who sacrificed herself to save the life of her lover, Teraknian. Teraknian built a castle as a shrine to his lover and founded the city in her name 700 years ago. It is perched in a safe harbor between two enormous cliffs and prospered as one of the safest ports in the Amedo Region, a subtropical jungle area along the south coast of the Azure Sea: the Jeklea Bay, to the west a large and almost impenetrable line of innactive volcanoes separate the bay from the Dust lands of the old Suel Empire.

For 200 years it prospered under Teraknian and his Descendants with strong ties to Suel, the Church of Wee Jas, and the church of Kord. Then 500 years ago, Orren Teraknian tried to rule as an enlightened absolute ruler and abolished many of the social institutions and religions, his kingdom was long and he had two successors who were highly popular among the destitute. Tat regime lasted until the noble families allied with the Sea Princes under false promises. The Sea Princes seized control, taking the children of the Sasserian elite as hostages, and ruled Sasserine for almost 200 years, isolating it from the main continent and even from the neighboring city of cauldron. This period meant the Sasserine elite had to spent their youth amongst the refined but bizarre Sea Princes in their strongholds in the Flannaes.

Then twenty years ago, the Scarlett Brotherhood, some nasty pirates they are, waged war against the Sea Princes and assassinated most of them. And some of the Sasserinian nobles still in their hold. The people of Sasserine did the rest and liberated the city. For the Past 20 years of so, the powerful families of the city have ruled as a council: The Dawn Council. But this oligarchy is tenuous, subject to treason and porous to crime and parallel powers and always under the threat of the Bullywug tribes to the east and the constant pressure of the Scarlett Brotherhood raids.

Rich families are an old aristocracy, most of them came with Teraknian or shortly after. They have plantations and ships, mainly using indenture servants and cheap labor, slavery was abolished by Orren Teraknian. The main exports are agricultural commodities like coffee and hemp that grows in the volcanic lands to the west of the city, exotic animals and furs.

The law forbids murder, theft and other strong offenses and is severe and swift, often death penalties, for those without connections or influence. But it is very relaxed about minor crimes and misdemeanors and has a bustling underworld. Reason why Sasserine has become attractive for all kinds of people looking to make fortune.

Since the ancient families came from Suel, Wee Jass has some faithful followers, so does Kord, but since the times of Orren Teraknian, the most popular god is Illmater (I know is not Greyhawk, but there's no equivalent), and due to the influence of the Sea Princes, there's also a strong following of other Flanaes deities.

You may be from Sasserine, maybe loosely connected to one of the big families, or you could have just arrived looking to make a name for yourselves.

If you are from the city, then you are most likely Human and if from a noble family most likely you are of Suel origin, dark haired and handsome. There's some tolerance to a few civilized Bullywugs, and the western plantations employ nomadic halflings that do seasonal work, there are a few dwarves from Cauldron.

If you are from any other race the, then you probably arrived recently and will not find many that look like you.

Cast of Characters

Player
Character
Class and Race
Sailor Rank
Associations and memberships
??

BelGareth
Brannick the Bold (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25967547&postcount=26)
Human Fighter
None
??
No

DrK
Aron Mervanchi (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2881873)
Human Rogue/Wizard
None
Meravanchi family,
No

Rilem
Eli (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25968119&postcount=33)
Bardbarian?
Deckhand
Church of the Whirling Frenzy, Lady Silvermane
No

ProudGrognard
Tefkros (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25967380&postcount=22)
Elven Ranger
Boatswain
Jade Ravens
no

Auranghzeb
2024-02-23, 05:32 PM
This is the cast I feel works the best together. I want to express some ideas after having run this adventure a couple of times that may improve the experience overall:

1. There's a lot of seafaring, it's a big part of the adventure and it gives your character chances to do stuff you wouldn't be able to do in other campaigns. Consider that in your mechanics. i.e a heavy armored knight makes little sense.

2. There are long-term connections that may not be apparent at first, but could become important as the adventure develops, give me depth, you'll be rewarded.

3. Build with fun and theme in mind. Make request to adapt stuff and do not feel constrained by class descriptions etc.

There's a Whirling Frenzy church in the city.
I really like the "In love with the sea" it's a great hook that would need some mechanical support

BelGareth
2024-02-23, 05:41 PM
Thanks Auranghzeb!

Small request, can the 16 and char gen rule stuff be posted to the OP please?

Transposing my rolls and concept to one location:

(3d6b2)[4] +6
(3d6b2)[5] +6
(3d6b2)[7] +6
(3d6b2)[9] +6
(3d6b2)[10] +6
(3d6b2)[10] +6

Brannick the Bold (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2883730)

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/81/1d/98/811d984c4e6f54477eb8126d84f30b2e.jpg

Description

Tall and strong, Brannick stands like a regal noble lord, he has the bearing, but upon closer inspection, he is a little rugged around the edges. His steel blue eyes pierce through his ruggedness, contrasting to his grey hair and beard, almost as if he has seen things. His tagged but yet, royal looking cloak hang on his shoulders, with his royal blue coat underneath.

Personality

Brannick is a thoughtful man, and applies this to all of his actions, attempting to figure things out, and apply the correct amount of effort as is appropriate. While smart, he is more of a social butterfly, and can rub elbows with nobles and beggars alike, a poor facsimile of a Paladin.

Background

Brannick is a bastard son of a noble long dead to the city, though their ancestors may remain within the city proper as the elite. Not So for Brannick, being the bastard son, he was given no heed, and was left to fend for himself. His family dates back to the old Suel Empire. And, having stumbled upon an ancient grimoire of Ancient Suloise, he realized what he found was perhaps valuable to some, he absconded with the tome, and fled the city. He became a self made man on a mission, he was hunting for anything that could help him read his book, so he could learn its secrets and unlock them. Hopefully becoming something along the way, and not having to rely on his family, who doesn't even recognize him anyway.

He has found his way back to the city of his origins, book in hand, and new, but old language learned, what could he find here that could help him on his transformative journey....

Mechanics

Fighter into Suel Archanamach

EDIT: mechanically i was hoping to start in something with full bab and then move into Suel Archanamach later on. I was thinking straight fighter, but now maybe Spelless Ranger? Maybe a combo of Warrior Ranger to remove spells, and then Arcane hunter? but now im thinking having a spattering of small wis based spells might be useful later on, as well as fit nicely into the theme of the character, a dashing rogue in exile returning, prodigal son kind of thing.

EDIT: and now im seeing we have a ranger, so maybe Fighter, back to my original idea.

Rilem
2024-02-23, 11:20 PM
Thanks very much! Very glad to be here.

Looking ahead, will probably pick up a level of either Whirling Frenzy Barbarian (immediately) or Crusader (prob. at level 5). Both seem to lean toward unstructured, seat-of-the-pants fighting; Eli isn't a trained fighter.

WIP sheet (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2883292)

moving over my earlier stuff as well:

(3d6b2)[11] +6
(3d6b2)[7] +6
(3d6b2)[8] +6
(3d6b2)[10] +6
(3d6b2)[10] +6
(3d6b2)[8] +6

There's somebody like Elliot on every boat. And in every bar, for that matter. And Elliot himself has spent much of his life in one or on the other.

He spent his childhood with his fisherman father, trawling the near shores off of Sasserine. Nearly drowned in a storm at age 16, after which he promised his mother he’d stay off the water.

These days he’s the most popular person at his uncle’s bar in the Champion’s District — and would be even if he wasn’t the one pouring drinks. You probably know the guy: He’s the one who starts a song that others join, or who can poke fun at the other regulars without leaving any hard feelings … usually. He’s grown into his frame now and he’s a big fella with a big smile — think a young Robbie Coltrane — able to end a bar fight just by announcing it’s over.

He misses the water, though, and he worries that the time’s coming when he’ll have to disappoint his mother.

DrK
2024-02-24, 01:48 AM
Thanks very much! Much appreciated

ProudGrognard
2024-02-24, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the chance to be here! I will post in more details later.

ProudGrognard
2024-02-24, 06:27 AM
So, I am back.

Here is Tefkros, the elven ranger (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JXI-ibO87bsR2vAdzjZQZWKheGSVnJSn7rs_EJJkk5Y/edit) charsheet. Still WIP. If I have made any mistakes please tell me, it has been a while since my 3.5 days.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/2c/e5/5c/2ce55cfb3993d43f783d14a885af85c2.jpg

History
Tefkros Telamonassa is a young elf, hailing from the clan of Nastaroquen in the Amado jungle. Tefkros' people have resided in these lands since time immemorial, and enjoy a certain status among the other elven and non-elven clans. The Nastaroquen are hunters and tamers of wild beasts, herbalists of some renown and lorekeepers of Solonor Thelandira and Fenmarel Mestarine. Tefkros learned to hunt and to fight from the clan's hunters, and the basis of the Clan's herbal magic from the lorekeepers. In the young age of 100, he was considered a fair shot even by elven standards.
But Tefkros was a bit strange, by the standards of his people. Something called to him, but he did not know what. He often ignored the demands of his clan and went out alone, paddling in the rivers or scouting in the very borders of elven lands . He also displayed a great love of luxury and of comforts, resulting in him trading objects and objects that would have been useful for the clan, for things that made Tefkros’ life more comfortable. His elders chided him again and again, but Tefkros continued to defy them. The final straw was a trading journey to the Emerald Cove, where Tefkros saw the sea for the first time. His heart was captivated,by the city and by the sea both. Despite the behests of his family and friends, he went back to the sea the first chance he got. His elders disavowed him and sentenced him to become an outcast for the next century. Tefkros, furious, denounced them in turn and vowed that this was not a punishment, but a blessing. Privately, he vowed to go back in fame and fortune, and prove these doddering old men and women fools.
This is how, fifty years ago, Tefkros ended up in Sasserine, with the clothes on his back, his gear and a few scant coins, barely speaking the language. It took him years to get used to life in the human city and decades to get accepted as a native. But Tefkros did not care. He was happy to sail the large human ships as a sailor, a warrior and a hunter. He was happy to live near the eternal but everchanging sea. He even made friends with these short-lived humans. Over the years, his skills adapted to his new life. He is still an archer and a tracker of some renown, and with a fair reputation for impartiality. Why would do petty, short-lived, human intrigues concern him?

Questions for the dear DM
- How free are we to create background details? Tefkros has been in town for fifty years. I would picture him having associates, crews he has sailed with, antagonists and employers. Can I make those up?
-A similar question: Apart from the info you have already provided, what else from the AP guide is valid? The districts, persons, map? What about languages and deities? I plan for Tefkros to have focused on more peripheral elven deities.
-I gave him the Loner flaw, which means to animal companion. I don't picture him as having one. I would like for him to go the Deepwood Sniper route, if that is OK. His 'spells' will be his herblore.
- To show his love for the sea, I have him Sailor, Rope Use, Balance, things he would have learned as a crew member, even a fighting one. I picture him as having a small boat - an "elven war canoe" in his mind- that he likes to take out. I will put that in my equipment.

Questions for fellow players
- Would anyone like to entangle backstories? I would guess that Aron and Eli would have the chance to know and/or have worked with Tefkros.

Auranghzeb
2024-02-24, 09:24 AM
Thanks Auranghzeb!

Small request, can the 16 and char gen rule stuff be posted to the OP please?

Transposing my rolls and concept to one location:

(3d6b2)[4] +6
(3d6b2)[5] +6
(3d6b2)[7] +6
(3d6b2)[9] +6
(3d6b2)[10] +6
(3d6b2)[10] +6

Brannick the Bold

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/81/1d/98/811d984c4e6f54477eb8126d84f30b2e.jpg

Description

Tall and strong, Brannick stands like a regal noble lord, he has the bearing, but upon closer inspection, he is a little rugged around the edges. His steel blue eyes pierce through his ruggedness, contrasting to his grey hair and beard, almost as if he has seen things. His tagged but yet, royal looking cloak hang on his shoulders, with his royal blue coat underneath.

Personality

Brannick is a thoughtful man, and applies this to all of his actions, attempting to figure things out, and apply the correct amount of effort as is appropriate. While smart, he is more of a social butterfly, and can rub elbows with nobles and beggars alike, a poor facsimile of a Paladin.

Background

Brannick is a bastard son of a noble long dead to the city, though their ancestors may remain within the city proper as the elite. Not So for Brannick, being the bastard son, he was given no heed, and was left to fend for himself. His family dates back to the old Suel Empire. And, having stumbled upon an ancient grimoire of Ancient Suloise, he realized what he found was perhaps valuable to some, he absconded with the tome, and fled the city. He became a self made man on a mission, he was hunting for anything that could help him read his book, so he could learn its secrets and unlock them. Hopefully becoming something along the way, and not having to rely on his family, who doesn't even recognize him anyway.

He has found his way back to the city of his origins, book in hand, and new, but old language learned, what could he find here that could help him on his transformative journey....

Mechanics

Fighter into Suel Archanamach

EDIT: mechanically i was hoping to start in something with full bab and then move into Suel Archanamach later on. I was thinking straight fighter, but now maybe Spelless Ranger? Maybe a combo of Warrior Ranger to remove spells, and then Arcane hunter? but now im thinking having a spattering of small wis based spells might be useful later on, as well as fit nicely into the theme of the character, a dashing rogue in exile returning, prodigal son kind of thing.

EDIT: and now im seeing we have a ranger, so maybe Fighter, back to my original idea.

Consider the BAB requisite for Suel Archanamach waived, You cant take the class at lvl 6. Maybe that helps you with the build. Consider a cloistered cleric crusader :cool:

The hexblade is a good entry. But yes, the party may lack some divine power, but who needs clerics?

Thanks very much! Very glad to be here.

Looking ahead, will probably pick up a level of either Whirling Frenzy Barbarian (immediately) or Crusader (prob. at level 5). Both seem to lean toward unstructured, seat-of-the-pants fighting; Eli isn't a trained fighter.

WIP sheet (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2882248)

moving over my earlier stuff as well:

(3d6b2)[11] +6
(3d6b2)[7] +6
(3d6b2)[8] +6
(3d6b2)[10] +6
(3d6b2)[10] +6
(3d6b2)[8] +6

There's somebody like Elliot on every boat. And in every bar, for that matter. And Elliot himself has spent much of his life in one or on the other.

He spent his childhood with his fisherman father, trawling the near shores off of Sasserine. Nearly drowned in a storm at age 16, after which he promised his mother he’d stay off the water.

These days he’s the most popular person at his uncle’s bar in the Champion’s District — and would be even if he wasn’t the one pouring drinks. You probably know the guy: He’s the one who starts a song that others join, or who can poke fun at the other regulars without leaving any hard feelings … usually. He’s grown into his frame now and he’s a big fella with a big smile — think a young Robbie Coltrane — able to end a bar fight just by announcing it’s over.

He misses the water, though, and he worries that the time’s coming when he’ll have to disappoint his mother.

I have no issues if you pick crusader but I gotta say that an "untrained ToB class" is kind of an oxymoron. How much are you interested in bardic abilities? Would you like to work on a Skald type of character? A foul mouthed inspirational barbaric pirate? I may give you a way,

So, I am back.

Here is Tefkros, the elven ranger (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JXI-ibO87bsR2vAdzjZQZWKheGSVnJSn7rs_EJJkk5Y/edit) charsheet. Still WIP. If I have made any mistakes please tell me, it has been a while since my 3.5 days.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/2c/e5/5c/2ce55cfb3993d43f783d14a885af85c2.jpg

History
Tefkros Telamonassa is a young elf, hailing from the clan of Nastaroquen in the Amado jungle. Tefkros' people have resided in these lands since time immemorial, and enjoy a certain status among the other elven and non-elven clans. The Nastaroquen are hunters and tamers of wild beasts, herbalists of some renown and lorekeepers of Solonor Thelandira and Fenmarel Mestarine. Tefkros learned to hunt and to fight from the clan's hunters, and the basis of the Clan's herbal magic from the lorekeepers. In the young age of 100, he was considered a fair shot even by elven standards.
But Tefkros was a bit strange, by the standards of his people. Something called to him, but he did not know what. He often ignored the demands of his clan and went out alone, paddling in the rivers or scouting in the very borders of elven lands . He also displayed a great love of luxury and of comforts, resulting in him trading objects and objects that would have been useful for the clan, for things that made Tefkros’ life more comfortable. His elders chided him again and again, but Tefkros continued to defy them. The final straw was a trading journey to the Emerald Cove, where Tefkros saw the sea for the first time. His heart was captivated,by the city and by the sea both. Despite the behests of his family and friends, he went back to the sea the first chance he got. His elders disavowed him and sentenced him to become an outcast for the next century. Tefkros, furious, denounced them in turn and vowed that this was not a punishment, but a blessing. Privately, he vowed to go back in fame and fortune, and prove these doddering old men and women fools.
This is how, fifty years ago, Tefkros ended up in Sasserine, with the clothes on his back, his gear and a few scant coins, barely speaking the language. It took him years to get used to life in the human city and decades to get accepted as a native. But Tefkros did not care. He was happy to sail the large human ships as a sailor, a warrior and a hunter. He was happy to live near the eternal but everchanging sea. He even made friends with these short-lived humans. Over the years, his skills adapted to his new life. He is still an archer and a tracker of some renown, and with a fair reputation for impartiality. Why would do petty, short-lived, human intrigues concern him?

Questions for the dear DM
- How free are we to create background details? Tefkros has been in town for fifty years. I would picture him having associates, crews he has sailed with, antagonists and employers. Can I make those up?
-A similar question: Apart from the info you have already provided, what else from the AP guide is valid? The districts, persons, map? What about languages and deities? I plan for Tefkros to have focused on more peripheral elven deities.
-I gave him the Loner flaw, which means to animal companion. I don't picture him as having one. I would like for him to go the Deepwood Sniper route, if that is OK. His 'spells' will be his herblore.
- To show his love for the sea, I have him Sailor, Rope Use, Balance, things he would have learned as a crew member, even a fighting one. I picture him as having a small boat - an "elven war canoe" in his mind- that he likes to take out. I will put that in my equipment.

Questions for fellow players
- Would anyone like to entangle backstories? I would guess that Aron and Eli would have the chance to know and/or have worked with Tefkros.

-Quite free, In any case I'll tell you if something is off or would not work. Is only natural Tefkros has knowledge of the Jeklea Bay and the Amedio Jungle surrounding Sasserine, but remember that at lvl 3, he is also likely to hav limited adventuring experience. Let's not get crazy on that.
-I rather not use too much material straight away. I think a good start is that you may have crossed paths with the Jade Ravens, a group of Neutral Mercenaries, during the last 5 years. And well, you remember the times of the Sea Prince tyranny, you may even have participated, low-key in their demise after the Scarlett Brotherhood took out their leaders. Maybe some low level sabotage of ships etc.
-Deepwood sniper is fine (maybe deckwood sniper fluff at some point).
-Nice, and I love the elven war canoe idea.

ProudGrognard
2024-02-24, 10:43 AM
-Quite free, In any case I'll tell you if something is off or would not work. Is only natural Tefkros has knowledge of the Jeklea Bay and the Amedio Jungle surrounding Sasserine, but remember that at lvl 3, he is also likely to hav limited adventuring experience. Let's not get crazy on that.
-I rather not use too much material straight away. I think a good start is that you may have crossed paths with the Jade Ravens, a group of Neutral Mercenaries, during the last 5 years. And well, you remember the times of the Sea Prince tyranny, you may even have participated, low-key in their demise after the Scarlett Brotherhood took out their leaders. Maybe some low level sabotage of ships etc.
-Deepwood sniper is fine (maybe deckwood sniper fluff at some point).
-Nice, and I love the elven war canoe idea.

Thank you for this. I was thinking along the lines of having rented a house near the lighthouse to see the sea and be close to his canoe. I was also thinking of having a favorite tavern, and perhaps know a captain or two.
As for character development, I completely agree. I picture Tefkros arriving as a zero-level warrior here and spending the first decade or two foraging and hunting around and in Sasserine, thus becoming first level. He is then known enough to get a job in a ship and spends some decades as a fighting sailor, thus earning his second level. Then, the demise of the Sea Princes came and the work for the Jade Ravens came, and he is now third level.

DrK
2024-02-24, 11:14 AM
Thank you for this. I was thinking along the lines of having rented a house near the lighthouse to see the sea and be close to his canoe. I was also thinking of having a favorite tavern, and perhaps know a captain or two.
As for character development, I completely agree. I picture Tefkros arriving as a zero-level warrior here and spending the first decade or two foraging and hunting around and in Sasserine, thus becoming first level. He is then known enough to get a job in a ship and spends some decades as a fighting sailor, thus earning his second level. Then, the demise of the Sea Princes came and the work for the Jade Ravens came, and he is now third level.

I'm happy that Tefkros could know Aron, maybe from doing jobs together or from fencing / appraising recovered artifacts.
I'd imagine that Aron would know the jade Ravens for a similar reason, both occasional frequenting the Adventurer's Guild and for being in the shop were the jade Ravens resupply their magics

@ the GM
Can we buy part charged (i.e 10, or 25) wands?
Still okay with Pathfinder style unlimited Cantrips?

Auranghzeb
2024-02-24, 11:37 AM
1. Sure, PF cantrips are sound.
2. Aron is a Meravanchi. The younger brother of Avner Meravanchi? I'd be cool with that.
3. Is the magic/fencing of things a way to defy the family? Does he have connection in the underworld?

or

Aron is part of or wants to be part of the Witchwatchers? A society of Wizards.

Auranghzeb
2024-02-24, 11:45 AM
I changed the columns on the table at the OP to reflect some useful game information. I'll give you a sailing rank according to skill and experience. This will become important in the adventure.

DrK
2024-02-24, 12:37 PM
1. Sure, PF cantrips are sound.
2. Aron is a Meravanchi. The younger brother of Avner Meravanchi? I'd be cool with that.
3. Is the magic/fencing of things a way to defy the family? Does he have connection in the underworld?

or

Aron is part of or wants to be part of the Witchwatchers? A society of Wizards.

1/ Excellent, I love the unlimited cantrips for minor magic
2/ Yes that’s good. He also know the other nobles families like the Vandeborens and Kellanis as is a similar age to them so would know Lavinia and Vanthus socially
3/ Yes. The magic shop is his attempt to be legitimate, the fencing and mercenary work is the trying get power and wealth quickly

Rilem
2024-02-24, 01:02 PM
I have no issues if you pick crusader but I gotta say that an "untrained ToB class" is kind of an oxymoron. How much are you interested in bardic abilities? Would you like to work on a Skald type of character? A foul mouthed inspirational barbaric pirate? I may give you a way,

I agree on the TOB point; I'd started looking at them as a way to get Song of the White Raven, but I can get that through feats if I really want it.

The bard's core abilities are a big draw for me, so some way of Skald-ing things up or the inspirational pirate would be nice. I've always thought bard & barbarian should mesh better in 3.x than they do, as the PrCs are mostly underwhelming. Even a feat along the lines of "Devoted Performer," but for bard/barbarians, would help a good bit.

(Something else that would help: Letting bards have Intimidate, like in Pathfinder; I totally forgot they didn't get it in 3rd edition.)

Oh, and a mechanical question: It seems like Inspire Courage can be used while raging, unlike some other bardic musics, since it doesn't require perform checks -- but I'd understand a ruling against that, as well.

Planned Alternate Class Features I'm looking at:

• Barbarian: Whirling Frenzy Rage Variant
• Barbarian: Sub Fast Movement for Roof Walker feat (Complete Scoundrel), the abilities actually seem like the sort you'd pick up on a boat

• Bard: Maybe Bardic Knack for Bardic Knowledge, gotta think on if I'm planning a lot of bard levels
• Bard: Spellbreaker song for countersong.

EDIT: Oh, one other thing I was looking at from 3.0 — the whip-dagger. His main weapon is just going to be a big club, at least at first, but I just had the image of swinging around a giant fishhook on a rope and though it seemed nifty.

Auranghzeb
2024-02-24, 01:49 PM
1/ Excellent, I love the unlimited cantrips for minor magic
2/ Yes that’s good. He also know the other nobles families like the Vandeborens and Kellanis as is a similar age to them so would know Lavinia and Vanthus socially
3/ Yes. The magic shop is his attempt to be legitimate, the fencing and mercenary work is the trying get power and wealth quickly

Cool, but I’ll monitor alignment. Not against evil on this campaign, and we are all adults. But evil like in the lesser of two evils. There’s a point where a character is just an npc.

I agree on the TOB point; I'd started looking at them as a way to get Song of the White Raven, but I can get that through feats if I really want it.

The bard's core abilities are a big draw for me, so some way of Skald-ing things up or the inspirational pirate would be nice. I've always thought bard & barbarian should mesh better in 3.x than they do, as the PrCs are mostly underwhelming. Even a feat along the lines of "Devoted Performer," but for bard/barbarians, would help a good bit.

(Something else that would help: Letting bards have Intimidate, like in Pathfinder; I totally forgot they didn't get it in 3rd edition.)

Oh, and a mechanical question: It seems like Inspire Courage can be used while raging, unlike some other bardic musics, since it doesn't require perform checks -- but I'd understand a ruling against that, as well.

Planned Alternate Class Features I'm looking at:

• Barbarian: Whirling Frenzy Rage Variant
• Barbarian: Sub Fast Movement for Roof Walker feat (Complete Scoundrel), the abilities actually seem like the sort you'd pick up on a boat

• Bard: Maybe Bardic Knack for Bardic Knowledge, gotta think on if I'm planning a lot of bard levels
• Bard: Spellbreaker song for countersong.

EDIT: Oh, one other thing I was looking at from 3.0 — the whip-dagger. His main weapon is just going to be a big club, at least at first, but I just had the image of swinging around a giant fishhook on a rope and though it seemed nifty.

Cool on the whip-dagger.

I give boons to players to customize characters without having to crank and crunch the rules until you end up dipping classes to get one thing you like and 4 feats to don’t. I wanted to see more mechanics as we move on, but I can offer you yours right away:

inspirational Foulmouth(su): your foul words and astute quips inspire deckhands to steer a ship, wenches to work the peak hours of your tavern, and patrons to drink beyond their possibilities. You know all kind of tavern and ship songs some would blush the hardest of pirates!

Basically you get inspire courage and inspire competence as a bard your level -1 whit any class other than bard.

And you also get: Barmaids’ son (ex): you were exposed to all kind of stories and tall tales growing up, you can tell a story and some of them hide secret truths.

Basically you get bardic knowledge when a tall tale or a story would make sense.

That way you get some bardic goodies without having to dip.

Rilem
2024-02-24, 11:45 PM
Interesting; that could work and I'm curious to see how it'd do.

I've started mapping out a revised sheet with early feats for a straight barbarian with the bardic tweaks. (Grabbing diplomacy via Martial Study and gather info via CityScape skill swap, so he can still function well socially).

If he winds up going with the Champion of Gwynharwyf, does that class have similar tweaks to the Paladin mechanics? At
the moment, I sort of see him as involved with the Church of the Whirling Fury because

a) It's more exciting than regular church and
b) He's smitten with some of the women there.

Tossed in a cross-class rank of Know (religion) from his experiences there, mostly acquired by osmosis.

ProudGrognard
2024-02-25, 04:09 AM
Tefkros is mostly done. Just a few touches left.

@DM: Would you consider allowing the exchange of Wild Empathy with something else? By RAW, there is the Spiritual Connection which is somewhat of a sideways move. Would you consider something else? As an example, I would suggest a Favorite Environment: Sea three times per day for 10 minutes, or perhaps a Swim and Climb Bonus?

Optionally of course.

@Fellow players:
I suggest then that Tefkros knows of Aron's shady dealings, and has worked with him in the past alongside the Jade Ravens. Tefkros respects his prowess, but is wary of the man's shady side.

I also suggest that Tefkros has sailed with Eli in the past, more than once. Tefkros does not frequent bars in the Champion district, but that is not a problem. They frequently run into one another in a boat or another.

Auranghzeb
2024-02-25, 05:40 AM
Ok, how does these work for you as your boon.

Hold Breath (Ex): Tefkros loves for the sea is not limited to it's surface, he is an excellent diver and can hold his breath for 8xConstitution bonus rounds.

Dexterous Swimmer(Ex): Your elven grace translates into your movements in water, you can choose to use your dex-bonifier instead of your Str for swim checks.

Elven Harpooneer (Ex): You can shoot from land to water more effectively, instead of taking a penalty for every 5' of water, you take a penalty for every 10' of water. You can effectively use thrown weapons from land to water up to 10' deep with a -5 penalty.

Those above are for free if you like them as boons.

Then, feel free to swap out Wild Empathy for Favored Environment. Use it as normal, it is not that powerful, and it is insight bonus so it doesn't stack with your favored enemy bonuses.

Auranghzeb
2024-02-25, 05:59 AM
Thanks Auranghzeb!

Hexblade is an excellent entry for Suel, the thing is that Hexblade usually sucks. Check my "fix". I'm also open to allow your great revision of Soul Born.

Interesting; that could work and I'm curious to see how it'd do.

I've started mapping out a revised sheet with early feats for a straight barbarian with the bardic tweaks. (Grabbing diplomacy via Martial Study and gather info via CityScape skill swap, so he can still function well socially).

If he winds up going with the Champion of Gwynharwyf, does that class have similar tweaks to the Paladin mechanics? At
the moment, I sort of see him as involved with the Church of the Whirling Fury because

a) It's more exciting than regular church and
b) He's smitten with some of the women there.

Tossed in a cross-class rank of Know (religion) from his experiences there, mostly acquired by osmosis.

Yeah, consider any ability like Smite Evil to work as for the paladin.

@Drk. Thinking about your boon. I was thinking something themed around your shady intentions and your noble origins.

Not what it seems (Ex)!-You'd get Cloaked Casting as a Beguiler and Surprise Casting as a Beguiler of your Character Level -2.

Socialite (Ex): The Meravanchi are famous for their flamboyant ways, parties and political influence. You grew up in a house where everyone who is anyone in Sasserine was a visitor. You can always take 10 on gather info checks in Sasserine or when dealing with Merchants and Aristocrats.

The last child (Ex): Your older brother, Avner, is famous for his charm and arrogance, you grew under his influence and became the exact opposite, relying on your wits and inventive where your charm was lacking. Use your Intelligence instead of your Cha for Bluff and Use Magic Device.

DrK
2024-02-25, 08:49 AM
@Drk. Thinking about your boon. I was thinking something themed around your shady intentions and your noble origins.

Not what it seems (Ex)!-You'd get Cloaked Casting as a Beguiler and Surprise Casting as a Beguiler of your Character Level -2.

Socialite (Ex): The Meravanchi are famous for their flamboyant ways, parties and political influence. You grew up in a house where everyone who is anyone in Sasserine was a visitor. You can always take 10 on gather info checks in Sasserine or when dealing with Merchants and Aristocrats.

The last child (Ex): Your older brother, Avner, is famous for his charm and arrogance, you grew under his influence and became the exact opposite, relying on your wits and inventive where your charm was lacking. Use your Intelligence instead of your Cha for Bluff and Use Magic Device.

Those boons are great, very thematic for him!
Just so I know is this free stuff that you give us 😀 Or is this the boon for 500gp
Either way I’m taking them as I like them

Auranghzeb
2024-02-25, 10:59 AM
Those boons are great, very thematic for him!
Just so I know is this free stuff that you give us 😀 Or is this the boon for 500gp
Either way I’m taking them as I like them

Oh, I had almost forgotten about that!

These are free.

I don't think we will be implementing the other one. I accept feedback and ideas on that. TBH I have always liked Bel's VoP as a character option to have unique flavorful abilities instead of gear. There's already too many characters running around with Anklets of Translocation, Healing Belts and Collars of Umbral Metamorphosis (what a silly item).
So I was thinking about using 1/3 of wealth to "buy" something similar. But I think it may already be too many things. And this is a published module with lots of treasure.

ProudGrognard
2024-02-25, 12:14 PM
Ok, how does these work for you as your boon.

Hold Breath (Ex): Tefkros loves for the sea is not limited to it's surface, he is an excellent diver and can hold his breath for 8xConstitution bonus rounds.

Dexterous Swimmer(Ex): Your elven grace translates into your movements in water, you can choose to use your dex-bonifier instead of your Str for swim checks.

Elven Harpooneer (Ex): You can shoot from land to water more effectively, instead of taking a penalty for every 5' of water, you take a penalty for every 10' of water. You can effectively use thrown weapons from land to water up to 10' deep with a -5 penalty.

Those above are for free if you like them as boons.

Then, feel free to swap out Wild Empathy for Favored Environment. Use it as normal, it is not that powerful, and it is insight bonus so it doesn't stack with your favored enemy bonuses.

This is perfect! Thank you.

Rilem
2024-02-25, 12:38 PM
I also suggest that Tefkros has sailed with Eli in the past, more than once. Tefkros does not frequent bars in the Champion district, but that is not a problem.

I'd say they could certainly know each other, but from Eli's childhood, back when he was regularly fishing with his father … Eli's been off the water for a while. (Tefkros probably knows Eli's father better.)

Also, I think I'd relocate the tavern to the Cudgel district, as that's where the Whirling Fury church is; he'd make excuses to hang out there before work.

@Aurangh: Just realized Inspire Competence is keyed off the Perform skill … any chance of getting that in-class? (Not an issue if not, I'd just take a level of Bard and Able Learner instead of Martial Study/WhiteRaven).

Auranghzeb
2024-02-25, 02:13 PM
I'd say they could certainly know each other, but from Eli's childhood, back when he was regularly fishing with his father … Eli's been off the water for a while. (Tefkros probably knows Eli's father better.)

Also, I think I'd relocate the tavern to the Cudgel district, as that's where the Whirling Fury church is; he'd make excuses to hang out there before work.

@Aurangh: Just realized Inspire Competence is keyed off the Perform skill … any chance of getting that in-class? (Not an issue if not, I'd just take a level of Bard and Able Learner instead of Martial Study/WhiteRaven).

Sure you have Perform (sing), Perform (oratory) and perform (spoons).just keep it thematic. You could mix it up and have the full range: foul mouthed pirate songs and then a great soft voice for sad folk songs.

Rilem
2024-02-25, 04:40 PM
Sounds good; he'll start with 6 ranks (required for Inspire Competence) in song, then mix in comedy and percussion (spoons, and also drums which I imagine would be helpful on a boat) later on.

[roll0] Hit point rolls for levels 2-3

Rilem
2024-02-26, 01:43 PM
Actually we don't have to hand-wave anything on perform -- I forgot about the existence of Versatile (OA) and Apprentice (DMGII) feats; Apprentice (Entertainer Barkeep, not that far off) would give him Diplomacy/Perform. It fits with his recent history working for his uncle and certainly makes more sense than him taking Martial Study/White Raven. (He may still take Martial Study at some point, if he's got room, but it'd come later.)

I've updated his sheet with the single-class focus (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2883292).

BelGareth
2024-02-26, 02:02 PM
rolling for Hitpoints:

[roll0]
[roll1]

BelGareth
2024-02-26, 02:30 PM
sorry for double posting:

sheet is done https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2883730

few questions:
what happens if you take Iron will and you already have a good Will save?
Suel has really stupid requirements, will you require me to have the martial weapon proficiency's? currently I only have 1.

EDITY: @DrK, I'm basically going to become your bodyguard, just FYI

Rilem
2024-02-26, 04:27 PM
What about the Militia Regional Feat from Player's Guide to Faerun? You'd have to reflavor the location, but it'd give you all martial weapon proficiencies.

(Its existence does not make the requirements for Suel Arcanamach any less weird.)

BelGareth
2024-02-26, 04:33 PM
What about the Militia Regional Feat from Player's Guide to Faerun? You'd have to reflavor the location, but it'd give you all martial weapon proficiencies.

(Its existence does not make the requirements for Suel Arcanamach any less weird.)

Oh, that is nice. would want to replace that with my martial prof feat.

Auranghzeb
2024-02-26, 04:35 PM
Suel Archanamach pre-requisites are there because it’s the perfect 2 level dip! But in a game where you can’t dip PrC the requirements are dumb. The only important one is the Grimoire, and that is role play not crunch.

Auranghzeb
2024-02-27, 02:38 AM
sorry for double posting:

sheet is done https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2883730

few questions:
what happens if you take Iron will and you already have a good Will save?
Suel has really stupid requirements, will you require me to have the martial weapon proficiency's? currently I only have 1.

EDITY: @DrK, I'm basically going to become your bodyguard, just FYI

The bodyguard theme works wonders. Aron could have visited a Suel Outpost where he met Brannick. Sasserine's families are mostly Suel in origin, and Aron's interest in magic makes the Suel-Wee Jas connection more likely.

If you have a good Will Save you are considered to have Iron Will, same goes for Fort and Ref with their respective feats.

Brannick's Boons

I am a bastard too, I love bastards. I am bastard begot, bastard instructed, bastard in mind, bastard in valor, in everything illegitimate. One bear will not bite another, and wherefore should one bastard?-W.Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Mr. Corleone, All bastard are liars, Shakespeare wrote poems about them.

Bastard Instructed(Ex): As a bastard, you were recruited as a conscript in your father's personal army and given a measly rank to appease your mother. There you were trained in weapons and military tactics. You get proficiency with all martial weapons and K. Martial is always a class skill.

Bastard in Mind (Ex): You get a +2 Resistance bonus to enchantment and similar magical effects. This bonus goes up to +3 at 5th level. At lvl 8th you get Slippery Mind (Ex).

Bastard in Valor (Su): As a move action, you may issue a challenge to a creature you can see. A creature must be able to perceive your challenge to be affected by it. The creature takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls that do not include you as a target and a +2 bonus on attack rolls targeting only you.

ProudGrognard
2024-02-27, 09:49 AM
When will we be ready to start?

BelGareth
2024-02-27, 10:08 AM
The bodyguard theme works wonders. Aron could have visited a Suel Outpost where he met Brannick. Sasserine's families are mostly Suel in origin, and Aron's interest in magic makes the Suel-Wee Jas connection more likely.

If you have a good Will Save you are considered to have Iron Will, same goes for Fort and Ref with their respective feats.

Brannick's Boons

I am a bastard too, I love bastards. I am bastard begot, bastard instructed, bastard in mind, bastard in valor, in everything illegitimate. One bear will not bite another, and wherefore should one bastard?-W.Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Mr. Corleone, All bastard are liars, Shakespeare wrote poems about them.

Bastard Instructed(Ex): As a bastard, you were recruited as a conscript in your father's personal army and given a measly rank to appease your mother. There you were trained in weapons and military tactics. You get proficiency with all martial weapons and K. Martial is always a class skill.

Bastard in Mind (Ex): You get a +2 Resistance bonus to enchantment and similar magical effects. This bonus goes up to +3 at 5th level. At lvl 8th you get Slippery Mind (Ex).

Bastard in Valor (Su): As a move action, you may issue a challenge to a creature you can see. A creature must be able to perceive your challenge to be affected by it. The creature takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls that do not include you as a target and a +2 bonus on attack rolls targeting only you.

sweet, added to my sheet.

Auranghzeb
2024-02-27, 11:03 AM
When will we be ready to start?

I'll probably have time on Friday. But everything will be spotty and unpredictable for me until the 7th. I'm currently working away.

Auranghzeb
2024-03-02, 04:27 AM
I wanted to start de IC yesterday. But after a 14 hour high-stress deadline day of work I was spent. I’ll be offline most of the weekend. Expect the IC European evening tomorrow. Drk, I think I’m missing your sheet.

ProudGrognard
2024-03-02, 09:43 AM
I wanted to start de IC yesterday. But after a 14 hour high-stress deadline day of work I was spent. I’ll be offline most of the weekend. Expect the IC European evening tomorrow. Drk, I think I’m missing your sheet.

It is OK. We can wait one or two days more.

Rilem
2024-03-02, 11:53 AM
It’s not like the forums were behaving yesterday anyway. Finished gearing up Eli.

DrK
2024-03-02, 12:16 PM

It’s linked in the opening post I think
If that one is broken its also here (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2881873)

Auranghzeb
2024-03-03, 06:04 AM
We got an IC (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?665093-Aurangh-s-Savage-Tide-IC-There-s-no-Honor&p=25973926#post25973926)

Rilem
2024-03-03, 01:48 PM
Some rolls:

Know (local): [roll0] (untrained, so maybe doesn't count)
Bardic knowledge: [roll1]

Also going Gather Info, as 16 hours should be enough time for that

Gather Info [roll2]
Time [roll3] hours

Rilem
2024-03-04, 06:13 AM
Eli didn’t share the gossip about Lavinia’s brother being involved with the Lotus Dragons gang with the whole bar, but he’s known Tefkros long enough that he would (quietly) let him know about it, assuming they wind up comparing notes.

Auranghzeb
2024-03-04, 06:16 AM
Yeah, I was going to be really hard on that. Be careful with those interactions. :-)

Auranghzeb
2024-03-05, 07:04 AM
I won't be able to connect to the forums to post until maybe Thursday afternoon. FYI.

Auranghzeb
2024-03-06, 06:39 AM
@DRK

The invitation to the Vanderboren is for tomorrow.

DrK
2024-03-06, 07:44 AM
@DRK

The invitation to the Vanderboren is for tomorrow.

woops, guess it'll be pie shop, re-read, swear and then head down to the Arena district

Auranghzeb
2024-03-08, 04:17 AM
Hi bak home finally, but I got a deadline today, so I'll update the IC tomorrow and hopefully gather some momentum.

Auranghzeb
2024-03-11, 04:23 PM
Sorry I have had two terrible weeks at work with two consecutive weekend deadlines. Posted a short quick post to get things back moving. I'll be much mor consistent for the rest of the month, then Mid-april I have to travel again.

Feathersnow
2024-03-11, 04:29 PM
No worries! I need to figure out how i survived that critical and post, still

Auranghzeb
2024-03-11, 04:33 PM
No worries! I need to figure out how i survived that critical and post, still

Feather, this is the wrong thread But I also posted on the other thread.

ProudGrognard
2024-03-16, 02:25 AM
Should we post IC on going to the meeting the next day? Tefkros's actions have already been described until then.

Auranghzeb
2024-03-18, 04:23 AM
I'll post an update to move the story to the meeting with Lavinia today after work (European time evening).

Auranghzeb
2024-03-20, 01:03 PM
Bel told mehe was going to be on an off these days, so I'll post later today even if there's no response from him.

Rilem
2024-03-20, 06:48 PM
Don't have know (local) but rolling an Int. check in case any of this would be bar conversation.

[roll0] +3 if Barmaids’ Son applies

Rilem
2024-03-20, 11:24 PM
Pirate scruples: "Tell me, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan?" (https://youtu.be/yu5WjoHd_7U?feature=shared&t=69)

ProudGrognard
2024-03-21, 10:59 AM
Local test [roll0]

ProudGrognard
2024-03-21, 11:02 AM
Sorry forgot the Sense Motive Check [roll0] human bonus included

DrK
2024-03-23, 07:33 AM
Know (local) [roll0]

Also sorry for the slow response, work chaos has kept me beyond busy for the past couple of weeks

ProudGrognard
2024-03-24, 10:46 AM
Dear DM, when you have a second, any answer on the SM roll?

Auranghzeb
2024-03-25, 06:05 AM
Sorry,

Her intentions seem transparent, no mistrust on that. But you also sense that she is holding on something and that she may be stronger and smarter than what she appears.

Auranghzeb
2024-03-26, 04:27 AM
@Drk, I need a Bluff check on your side for that little "break the wheel woe the girl" speech.

ProudGrognard
2024-03-27, 05:05 AM
Hi,

may I assume that Tefkros takes a share of the gems, aka 75 gp?

Also, let's see if the others are on board with the plan. If yes, Tefkros will leave the house stealthily, take a walk at the docks to locate the ship, and then find a spot to watch it unseen. That may require taking his boat for innocuous travels back and forth, finding a secluded spot, bribing a ship watch nearby and whatever else it takes. Also, Tefkros will take advantage of his keen eyesight, and perform any especially close reconnaissance actions in the night.

He is looking for guards, points of access, traps, activity and any other relevant details.

Not sure, what if nay rolls are needed but here goes a bunch. All rolls are with favored terrain/ favored enemy factored in (once!)
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Hide [roll2]
Move silently [roll3]

DrK
2024-03-28, 05:50 AM
Bluff [roll0]

Edit: oops, that did not go well!

Rilem
2024-03-28, 09:24 AM
Just a heads up that I’ll be traveling 3/31 thru 4/4. Will have some online access but unclear how much. Bot Eli as needed.

Auranghzeb
2024-03-28, 09:50 AM
Hi,

may I assume that Tefkros takes a share of the gems, aka 75 gp?

Also, let's see if the others are on board with the plan. If yes, Tefkros will leave the house stealthily, take a walk at the docks to locate the ship, and then find a spot to watch it unseen. That may require taking his boat for innocuous travels back and forth, finding a secluded spot, bribing a ship watch nearby and whatever else it takes. Also, Tefkros will take advantage of his keen eyesight, and perform any especially close reconnaissance actions in the night.

He is looking for guards, points of access, traps, activity and any other relevant details.

Not sure, what if nay rolls are needed but here goes a bunch. All rolls are with favored terrain/ favored enemy factored in (once!)
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Hide [roll2]
Move silently [roll3]

Sorry I missed this. Tefkros has now a pretty good idea of the Mansion's general layout. there's only one real entrance to the complex, the double doors on the stone wall, but there's also a service door next to it. The front patio leads around the house, probably to the stables.
As for the inside of the house, what you can see with limited access. The main hallway is ample and distributes the house into two wings around the inside garden. You see no guards, in fact, other than Korra the halfling, you see no other servants. You can hear the yapping and occasional barking of what seem to be large dogs. You catch this on your way out.

ProudGrognard
2024-03-28, 12:56 PM
Sorry I missed this. Tefkros has now a pretty good idea of the Mansion's general layout. there's only one real entrance to the complex, the double doors on the stone wall, but there's also a service door next to it. The front patio leads around the house, probably to the stables.
As for the inside of the house, what you can see with limited access. The main hallway is ample and distributes the house into two wings around the inside garden. You see no guards, in fact, other than Korra the halfling, you see no other servants. You can hear the yapping and occasional barking of what seem to be large dogs. You catch this on your way out.

No, no, these rolls were about the boat!

Auranghzeb
2024-03-29, 04:59 AM
Gotcha, well, now you have some free info about the house too.

ProudGrognard
2024-03-29, 09:36 AM
Ok not sure how this is going to go. As far as I can tell, one can take 10 in a Swim check if the sea is calm. If not, Tefkros needs something like 20 Swim checks to arrive on the boat.

However, I must say, I am an overweight 45-year old man and I know for a fact that I can swim 300 ft on a calm sea without problem every time. This rule seems ...strange to me.

Also, not sure how the Stealth thing is going to work. After all, Tefkros can dive 8 and 8 rounds to the ship. Perhaps he can swim fifteen rounds and dive the last 8 rounds. I have already rolled a Stealth roll before.

In any case, Tefkros plans to see if the ship can be boarded from the sea, where are the guards and lamps at anything else he might pick up. He is especially interested to see if he could climb, take out any lamps and guards and let the others on via his boat. He then plans to swim back, dry off and meet the others.

Rilem
2024-03-30, 11:21 AM
How big is Tefkros' rowboat, btw? Could all four of us fit in it?

ProudGrognard
2024-03-30, 02:53 PM
How big is Tefkros' rowboat, btw? Could all four of us fit in it?

It takes two comfortably. Up to the DM, I guess.

Auranghzeb
2024-03-31, 10:45 AM
Sorry, I'm super annoyed by the forums... but can't really complain on free entertainment. It seems to be working today, let's see if I can post.

I like Tefkros' plan. This is how I see the situation: Assuming vigilance on the boat and a high moon, he would need to dive and swim underwater. He can do that with no issues other than visibility underwater at night. That's why I require DC 10 swim checks. 4 are fine, no taking 10, he needs to orient himself. Then a climb DC 10 to climb on board and normal stealth and perception.

That will allow him to get to the hull of the Blue Nixie.

I don't like random encounters, but swimming at night DEMANDS I do it. Roll your swim checks please.

[roll0]

The others have several options:
-Direct approach on a boat using bluff.

-A boat and then swim or board

-The canoe is not a bad approach, but that's easier to detect.

-Give me other creative options.

BelGareth
2024-03-31, 12:16 PM
Well I’m waiting on my gi check (nat 20!) before headed that way

ProudGrognard
2024-03-31, 12:39 PM
Sorry, I'm super annoyed by the forums... but can't really complain on free entertainment. It seems to be working today, let's see if I can post.

I like Tefkros' plan. This is how I see the situation: Assuming vigilance on the boat and a high moon, he would need to dive and swim underwater. He can do that with no issues other than visibility underwater at night. That's why I require DC 10 swim checks. 4 are fine, no taking 10, he needs to orient himself. Then a climb DC 10 to climb on board and normal stealth and perception.

That will allow him to get to the hull of the Blue Nixie.

I don't like random encounters, but swimming at night DEMANDS I do it. Roll your swim checks please.

[roll0]

The others have several options:
-Direct approach on a boat using bluff.

-A boat and then swim or board

-The canoe is not a bad approach, but that's easier to detect.

-Give me other creative options.

I am not sure if my spot, listen, hide and MS checks from before apply, so I will not reroll them. Here they are
Spot (1d20+12)[26]
Listen (1d20+12)[27]
Hide (1d20+16)[31]
Move silently (1d20+16)[36]

Swim checks
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Climb check
[roll4]

Rilem
2024-03-31, 07:49 PM
None of these are especially creative ideas (it's a travel day and I'm really dragging) but

• Bribe/diplomacize the dock guards
• Sleep the dock guards
• Deliver "exotic animal" to ship
• Disguise Self to look like the Harbormaster (assuming we know what he looks like)

Auranghzeb
2024-04-02, 10:29 AM
3 of those 4 ideas are actually not bad. Tefkros is onboard right now. I narrated as if he hid his weapons near the harbor, going back home would have taken too long.

ProudGrognard
2024-04-05, 11:10 AM
Tefkros is ready to go and meet the others, after he dries off and regains his equipment.

BelGareth
2024-04-05, 11:38 AM
None of these are especially creative ideas (it's a travel day and I'm really dragging) but

• Bribe/diplomacize the dock guards
• Sleep the dock guards
• Deliver "exotic animal" to ship
• Disguise Self to look like the Harbormaster (assuming we know what he looks like)

I like all of them except the harbormster one, that feels like it would be hard to do. But just speaking to the dock guards may work, and also provide additional info.

Tefkros is ready to go and meet the others, after he dries off and regains his equipment.

yep, me too

Rilem
2024-04-05, 05:35 PM
I like all of them except the harbormster one, that feels like it would be hard to do. But just speaking to the dock guards may work, and also provide additional info.

And we're probably short on exotic animals to pass off. So it may be down to talking and sleeping.

Back home, will get caught up asap.

Auranghzeb
2024-04-06, 01:39 PM
Rolling for listen on the drunk sailors but not likely to matter:
[roll0]

Rolling for random sea creatures. 75 or more is bad for good old tefkros.

[roll1]

Auranghzeb
2024-04-09, 02:36 AM
Cool, so please decide what the group is going to do.

If you are going to try the diplomacy route, have one of the characters post the proposed interaction/ruse/speech and then I'll decide whether or not that merits a Diplomacy check or a Bluff Check, please do not roll before I adjudicate, that's not how Diplomacy will work in this game.

ProudGrognard
2024-04-09, 04:41 AM
So, my proposal is that two of us go up and take care of the guards, and then the rest come up after the fact. Or that Tefkros goes up again and waits for you to board, before springing a surprise when things go ugly.

BelGareth
2024-04-09, 09:15 AM
Well, our best face is Eli.

So if Eli wants to do try some roleplay, if not, I say we sleep em, and just move on.

I'm not a fan of splitting the group up just yet.

EDIT: Brannick is a good swimmer if we go that route

Rilem
2024-04-09, 09:50 PM
Eli's social skills are skewed toward diplomacy, his bluff mod isn't much at all. Sleep is probably the best option, though I am happy to offer them some wine first.

His Swim skill is fair, but carrying weapons will be tough.

BelGareth
2024-04-10, 12:42 AM
Sounds good, brannick and Eli up front to go see the guards?

Rilem
2024-04-10, 11:06 PM
Good with me; long day and have to get up early; I'll post his pitch to guards at lunch tomorrow.

DrK
2024-04-11, 03:30 AM
Sounds good, Aron isn’t a front line person

Auranghzeb
2024-04-14, 02:09 PM
I'll try to move the story tomorrow night, but then I won't have much time in the next two weeks or so because I'll be on the road for work.

ProudGrognard
2024-04-15, 12:14 PM
OK, let's go with the guards plan. Though I believe a sneak approach would be better.

BelGareth
2024-04-25, 01:48 PM
Did we ever figure out the something cool item for 500gp? i still have it on my sheet.....

Rilem
2024-04-25, 09:07 PM
[roll0] spot

BelGareth
2024-04-26, 11:15 AM
[roll0] spot

+1 from my Aura. (also listen and initiative)