PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Giants: Who should've won?

Kaelaroth
2007-12-14, 01:21 PM
At the end of the massive Marvel crossover multi-comic event World War Hulk the Hulk and the Sentry go to battle. In the end they prove to be roughly evenly matched, and revert to their human forms, basically out of power. In my opinion, this was a complete cop-out by the writers.

So, what should've happened? This, I leave to you guys.

*waits expectantly*

Moogle0119
2007-12-14, 01:55 PM
I believe Hulk should have won under normal circumstances. Of course World War Hulk couldn't go on forever and they had to have a way to wrap up the storyline with the Hulk stopping his rampage before annihilating everyone.

ALOR
2007-12-14, 01:56 PM
At the end of the massive Marvel crossover multi-comic event World War Hulk the Hulk and the Sentry go to battle. In the end they prove to be roughly evenly matched, and revert to their human forms, basically out of power. In my opinion, this was a complete cop-out by the writers.

So, what should've happened? This, I leave to you guys.

*waits expectantly*

well I didn't read the fight but it seems like a logical end. Hulk was all pumped up on war making him silly powerful. Sentry is marvels superman. The 2 people with incredible powers slam into each other until the have nothing left to give.
although..... didn't Banner KO sentry while they were in human form?

GoC
2007-12-14, 05:31 PM
They fact they they were exactly evenly matched is the biggest problem not who won. I pushes past the limit of suspension of disbelief.
The two strongest superheroes one with variable strength and both with strength in the thousand ton range, fight and end up having strength within 0.00001% of eachother?:smallconfused:

I personaly would have liked it if sentry had blown Hulk's head to pieces with his first punch and ended the green menace once and for all.

Gundato
2007-12-14, 06:46 PM
The way I viewed it was that both of them were at the absolute maximum power level possible without being a divine or cosmic being. Sentry had disabled all of his limiters, Hulk was as angry as is physically possible. It isn't so much that they were the same strength, it is that they were both at the maximum strength.

Lerch
2007-12-14, 07:20 PM
I don't know which version of the HULKthe writers had going there and if he had a functioning noggin (understandable speech ie more than HULK SMASH!)...but my old HULK knowledge....the more you hit HULK the madder you made him...and the madder you made him the stronger you made him...ad nauseum....

Sentry on the other hand is (to me) a relative newcomer since I left comics a while ago...I've seen him in some DCP stuff and know he's on par with some big boys...but the HULK? Not sure.

So the sentry can fly whoop-ti-do...he's gonna land sometime..and then HULK SMASH...and if not...HULK jump or he'll throw a tank at him or something...just to get his attention.

My vote would be on the HULK. (always caps):thog: thog close to HULK:biggrin:

Gundato
2007-12-14, 08:46 PM
The writers were using the ultimate (not to be confused with Ultimate) version of Hulk (dubbed Green Scar). Basically, he was insanely mad, but Banner was actually in agreement with the Hulk portion, so he had super-brain to go with super-powers.

Foeofthelance
2007-12-14, 11:31 PM
Which is probably why Banner decked the Sentry after tehy both reverted back. The fact that Banner of all people agreed with the Hulk that these guys needed a lesson in pain shows how badly they had screwed up. Not only did he help sucker in Doctor Strange, but he was willing to keep fighting for Hulk even after everything else. That's impressive.

So yeah. Hulk won it, fair and square.

Dalenthas
2007-12-15, 01:02 PM
Sentry should have just thrown Hulk into the sun. See how mad you can get at 100,000 Kelvin.

Selrahc
2007-12-15, 01:50 PM
Sentry should have won. I don't like that they've given him a peer. In my opinion, thats going to start a gradual decline in his power level, so that writers no longer have to think of non combat victories(taking advantage of his fractured mind), but just have the latest villain be so uber that the Sentry can't hurt them. It could lead to rampant power creep across Marvel.

Then again, it was happening already. He had trouble in the Mighty Avengers story arc with Ultron, and couldn't lift the shield helicarrier singlehanded..

Tamburlaine
2007-12-15, 02:05 PM
Sentry should have just thrown Hulk into the sun. See how mad you can get at 100,000 Kelvin.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Hulk not being able to propel himself through space is a huge disadvantage.

I'm not really keen on either character really, too much power, not enough personality (though I do think the idea for world war hulk and the way the Hulk's anger arises was a good one).

GoC
2007-12-15, 06:13 PM
The way I viewed it was that both of them were at the absolute maximum power level possible without being a divine or cosmic being. Sentry had disabled all of his limiters, Hulk was as angry as is physically possible. It isn't so much that they were the same strength, it is that they were both at the maximum strength.

So there's a law in Marvel physics that states the limit inb strength available to non-gods?:smallconfused:
Yeah, very plausable.

Gundato
2007-12-15, 10:45 PM
Considering how often the power-absorbers are "weakened" because they absorbed too much/encountered a being too powerful, then yes, it is quite plausible.

If it helps, think of it like this: At a certain point, the amount of bulk required to accommodate more powerful muscles would hinder the person they are being attached to, whether through consumption of calories/energy/magic voodoo juice, or just outright bulk and an inability to function properly.

Personally, I have an easier time assuming that the two "unstoppable forces" managed to reach the theoretical limit rather than them being equally powerful (and Hulk not getting angry about being punched in the face).

GoC
2007-12-15, 11:55 PM
If it helps, think of it like this: At a certain point, the amount of bulk required to accommodate more powerful muscles would hinder the person they are being attached to, whether through consumption of calories/energy/magic voodoo juice, or just outright bulk and an inability to function properly.

I honestly can't tell whether or not you're serious.:smallconfused:

Kaelaroth
2007-12-16, 05:34 AM
I honestly can't tell whether or not you're serious.:smallconfused:

He made sense. I was under the impression he was being perfectly serious.

Covenantwgw
2007-12-16, 11:56 AM
I've never really liked the idea of Sentry in the first place. He's a cop-out superman...that being said I think Hulk should have won because Sentry hasn't really "earned" the right to take on the Hulk toe to toe yet.

North
2007-12-28, 03:26 AM
Yeah Sentry could have easily just ended the fight by tossing Hulk into empty space within the first second of the fight.

T.Titan
2007-12-28, 06:36 AM
Yeah Sentry could have easily just ended the fight by tossing Hulk into empty space within the first second of the fight.

Except the Hulk already survived in space before going to Sakaar... and why do people always assume Hulk would hold on to him and he'd just be able to leave him in space anyway?

Plus, i've already said that wasn't a fight, it was therapy day for the super-powered nutters... apparently Banner was crowned "most sane crazy person".

Finn Solomon
2007-12-28, 06:57 AM
Hulk had to win, since Sentry is a Superman analogue DC clone jobs to the Marvel heavyweight.

kpenguin
2007-12-28, 07:10 AM
Doesn't Sentry have the strength of several hundred thousand suns or something like that?

ALOR
2007-12-28, 09:16 AM
Doesn't Sentry have the strength of several hundred thousand suns or something like that?

yeah but hulk was really really really mad. :smallbiggrin:

North
2007-12-28, 03:13 PM
Except the Hulk already survived in space before going to Sakaar... and why do people always assume Hulk would hold on to him and he'd just be able to leave him in space anyway?

Plus, i've already said that wasn't a fight, it was therapy day for the super-powered nutters... apparently Banner was crowned "most sane crazy person".

Oh I realize that Hulk has survived decompression by holding his breath. Hulk doesnt need to hold onto him or not.

First second: Moving at superspeed Sentry grabs Hulk by an ankle and drags him out past orbit.

Second second: Now miles away from earth Sentry throws him.

Hulk travels for years/millenia etc at extremely fast speed until he eventually hits something or dies.

And I agree it wasnt a true fight.

T.Titan
2007-12-29, 01:08 PM

And Hulk has no strength limit since like forever.

First second: Moving at superspeed Sentry grabs Hulk by an ankle and drags him out past orbit.

Second second: Now miles away from earth Sentry throws him.

2 seconds is 4 times more the Hulk needs to punch...

It's somewhere in here: http://www.hulkmovie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=644

North
2007-12-29, 02:18 PM
2 seconds is 4 times more the Hulk needs to punch...

It's somewhere in here: http://www.hulkmovie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=644

Link doesnt work.

I think Hulks speed is over estimated there. Strength tons and tons. Speed not so much. But like I said, that was also slowed down.

Before the Hulk is even aware the Sentry is there, is when Hulk is floating in space wondering how he got there. And no matter how mad he gets he cant fly in space.

Selrahc
2007-12-29, 03:33 PM
Sentry is so fast that while standing a good 10 yards away from a guy with a gun to his head, the gun gets fired. The sentry catches the bullet before it connects, and is standing back in the same place.

So two seconds is actually rather a long time to take.

EvilJames
2007-12-30, 12:02 PM
The HULK is like a big gorilla has anyone ever tried to throw a gorilla? The moment he is grappled he's going to start grappling back throwing him isn't going to be something the Sentry can just do he's got to stun the HULK first. Assuming they have about the same strength or close to it the Hulk has the advantage of size and experience in that.

North
2007-12-30, 02:59 PM
The moment hes grapples hes in space.

The next moment Hulk is in orbit wondering where all the puny humans went.

Super Speed for the Win