PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Tactician: tactical feat (PEACH)

Stycotl
2007-12-14, 02:43 PM
Lightning Tactician (Tactical)
Your quick mind and uncanny reflexes allow for some devious tricks.
Prerequisites: Int 15, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, base attack bonus +6, base Reflex save +6
Benefit: The Lightning Tactician feat enables the use of three tactical maneuvers.
Work Them Wide: With an unexpected flourish, you turn from hesitant pokes and prods to a dazzling display of prowess. The first round must be spent with the Combat Expertise feat active, or fighting defensively. On the next round, make a feint attack against one of the foes who had threatened you the round before. If successful, your foe is dazed (allow a fort save for this?) as well as denied a Dexterity bonus to AC for one round.
Set Up: You take a few moments of combat to measure your rhythm and that of your foes, bringing them in for your sudden offensive. Every foe that attacks you and misses this round while you use the Combat Expertise feat with at least a -5 modifier to attacks, will provoke an attack of opportunity from you next round, if threatened by you still.
Coiled to Strike: You are poised to take advantage of every slip of step, every fumbled weapon. If you confirm a critical hit against a foe that has provoked an attack of opportunity against you in the same round, you can make a free Trip attack (considered part of the same attack) immediately after rolling damage.

Blue_C.
2007-12-14, 02:52 PM
Kudos to you for designing a tactical feat. I've tried, but never had the knack.

I like "work them wide" and "coiled to strike," but I think "set up" is a bit complex, though it occurs to me that it might just be a reflection of how you needed to write it.

One thing though, you should probably have something in this feat (or in a prerequisite) that lets you make more attacks of opportunity per round. Something like the greater cleave feat. Particularly for "set up"; it's no good if you get the entire mook gang to to surround you and open themselves up for attack if you can't actually strike more than three of the demons.

Stycotl
2007-12-14, 02:58 PM
you are saying something other than just the Combat Reflexes? i could see that being beneficial, definitely, but i don't know that it should be mandatory. plus, i've got tunnel vision anyway. when i desiged this feat, it was for two different characters, one of exceptional dexterity anyway (20), and the other for a lycanthropy whose dex is through the roof in hybrid/wolf form.

the original version of this feat had four or five feat prerequisites. i had to tone it down to keep it in line with the rest o' the tactical feats.

incidentally, is "the foe will provoke an attack of opportunity against you" a clear way of phrasing that? it sounds like mandarin or something to me...

anyway, thanks. aaron out.

Blue_C.
2007-12-14, 03:05 PM
I'm saying something on top of Combat reflexes. Without that feat, you'd only be able to hit one of them, no matter how many you set up.

Stycotl
2007-12-15, 07:02 PM
what do you think if i add a dex requirement to the feat instead of another feat? either replace the int req, or add the dex req right along side it.