PDA

View Full Version : how does one bake?

assassin8
2007-12-14, 03:21 PM
would one use profession baker or craft baking to bake?

NEO|Phyte
2007-12-14, 03:23 PM
General baking would be covered under profession, but if the king of Somewhere heard about you and ordered a massive cake for his mother's upcoming birthday, that would be a craft check.

TRM
2007-12-14, 03:23 PM
The way I see it, you would use Craft (baking?) for the actual act of baking (e.g to bake a cake) and Profession (baker) to make money as a baker.

edit: ninjas+slow internet=:smallfrown:

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-14, 03:24 PM
would one use profession baker or craft baking to bake?

Well, per RAW, you go to work in a bakery/restaurant/whatever for a week and earn your money. With Profession Baker.

With Craft (Baked Goods) you would expend materials, yada yada.

So the the answer is, I guess, both.

assassin8
2007-12-14, 03:34 PM
Dang i have to sink twice as many skill points if I want to actually bake and make money at it. That sucks

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-14, 03:36 PM
My first answer was only partially correct...

To bake, generally the first thing you need to do is preheat your oven to 325 degress...

assassin8
2007-12-14, 03:40 PM
Haha im actually a profesional baker, went to culinary school for it and everything so i think i got the whole preheat the oven thing :)
and usually its 350

Inyssius Tor
2007-12-14, 03:48 PM
Dang i have to sink twice as many skill points if I want to actually bake and make money at it. That sucks

Well, not so much. If you want to make money from baking, get Profession: Baker. If you want to actually bake things (and, possibly, sell the items you bake), get Craft: Baked Goods.

So, get Craft if you want to make individual foods; get Profession if you want to directly transmute effort into money via "baking."

Draz74
2007-12-14, 04:01 PM
The upside to all of this - like having to get two skills to effectively run a one-man bakery - is this:

At least if you don't have proper equipment, it's only a -2 penalty. Lost in the middle of a damp dungeon, with no kind of oven whatsoever? Gather up what you can (probably involves building some kind of fire), take a -2 penalty for improvised tools, and you're still gold. :smallamused:

SilverClawShift
2007-12-14, 04:10 PM
This is one of those dealies where a reasonable DM will let you fudge things for simplicity and logic, though.

If a character had 15 ranks in Profession (baker), there's no reason they SHOULDN'T be able to produce a single worthwhile cake or other baked good. Likewise, someone with 12 ranks in Craft (baked good) should be able to reasonably use that crafting to do generic baker's work to turn a profit.

Either one should be enough for whatever comes up. If I get a 37 on my Profession (baker) check, I'd darn well better be able to make a decent baked good as a result. Any DM who said otherwise would be technically accurate, but would get kicked in the shin all the same.

MrNexx
2007-12-14, 04:12 PM
I would say Profession: Baker, simply because the Craft rules are so incredibly broken for making things like bread.

martyboy74
2007-12-14, 04:23 PM
I would rule that they give a synergy bonus; after all, profession (baker) is about running a bakery, which includes advertising and finices, whereas craft (baked goods) is purely about the actual baking.

Dragonmuncher
2007-12-14, 07:00 PM
Instead of a synergy bonus, it really makes more sense to have them be the same thing.

I mean, Profession (Sailing) and Use Rope, you can SORT of make the case that they're different (really though, any professional sailor is going to be proficent with rope).

Something with baking? You might be able to make the case that Profession (baker) takes into account more things than just baking, like knowing the neighborhood zoning laws and dealing with the sugar salesman. But come on, now...

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-15, 05:33 AM
I'd say if you were the runner of it rather than a bread maker use proffesion.
If you were the baker instead of the manager use craft.
If your both use craft.

Dallas-Dakota
2007-12-15, 05:40 AM
General baking would be covered under profession, but if the king of Somewhere heard about you and ordered a massive cake for his mother's upcoming birthday, that would be a craft check.

That is correct, however, if you defeat an DC 16 with your d20 in profession : baker, you get an +2 bonus.

The_Snark
2007-12-15, 05:44 AM
Actually, Profession (baker) shouldn't really exist. Craft skills can be used to earn a living in the exact same manner that Profession can:

A Craft skill is specifically focused on creating something. If nothing is created by the endeavor, it probably falls under the heading of a Profession skill.

Check
You can practice your trade and make a decent living, earning about half your check result in gold pieces per week of dedicated work. You know how to use the tools of your trade, how to perform the craft’s daily tasks, how to supervise untrained helpers, and how to handle common problems. (Untrained laborers and assistants earn an average of 1 silver piece per day.)

So you only need 1 skill to be a professional baker.

Randel
2007-12-15, 03:19 PM
Yeah, you can use craft checks to make money as if using a proffesion check. In fact, it's probably better to use craft because that uses Int so a high int character gets a bonus to his check (along with the skill points)