PDA

View Full Version : Let's... ..talk about NASA's role playing game: Lost Universe

KorvinStarmast
2024-03-06, 09:51 AM
https://science.nasa.gov/mission/hubble/multimedia/online-activities/the-lost-universe/

Have any of you tried this out?

A dark mystery has settled over the city of Aldastron on the rogue planet of Exlaris. Researchers dedicated to studying the cosmos have disappeared, and the Hubble Space Telescope has vanished from Earth’s timeline. Only an ambitious crew of adventurers can uncover what was lost. Are you up to the challenge?

This adventure is designed for a party of 4-7 level 7-10 characters and is easily adaptable for your preferred tabletop role-playing game (TTRPG) system.

NASA’s first TTRPG adventure invites you to take on a classic villain (while also using and learning science skills!) as you overcome challenges and embark on an exciting quest to unlock more knowledge about our universe. Download your game documents below and get ready to explore Exlaris!

Want to share how your adventure unfolds? Share it with #NASATTRPG on social media.

Mordar
2024-03-06, 06:48 PM
https://science.nasa.gov/mission/hubble/multimedia/online-activities/the-lost-universe/

Love the idea and landing page...looks like some quality Campaign Cartographer II work there!

- M

Grod_The_Giant
2024-03-07, 11:51 AM

I've never heard of it before, but considering I've just started an article on why we should all play more RPGs this is great timing.

Red Bear
2024-03-09, 05:11 PM
I wanted to start a thread about this. Asking if anyone read it. I would like to know if it’s clearly made for 5e or if it’s very systemless. Also if anyine had made pre-made characters and other additional resources

Tarmor
2024-03-11, 01:47 AM
I wanted to start a thread about this. Asking if anyone read it. I would like to know if it’s clearly made for 5e or if it’s very systemless. Also if anyine had made pre-made characters and other additional resources
It's 44 pages (and a 1/4 of that is images and maps) - worth downloading and reading yourself to think about. It IS system-less, and the setting is a mix of typical fantasy with modern day science. The writers are obviously aware of 5e, since it references things like making a "medium DC investigation check", but there are NO stats for anything. It's primarily exploration and investigation, with lots of information about what the players will see/locate/learn, etc.

lightningcat
2024-03-11, 05:38 PM
It is just an adventure. Although being systemless is not an awful choice. But you shouldn't call it a roleplaying game if there is no game. But that is getting somewhat padantic.
Funny enough, I know a gamer that works for NASA, and he knew nothing about this before I posted the link.

Anonymouswizard
2024-03-11, 06:00 PM
Funny enough, I know a gamer that works for NASA, and he knew nothing about this before I posted the link.

I had a brief discussion of this with a friend, and we decided that was clearly something made by whoever NASA has doing the advertising. Mostly because there's no way NASA's boffins aren't using GURPS.

Eldan
2024-03-12, 05:56 AM
I wouldn't call it systemless, it looks filled with D&D-isms to me.

KorvinStarmast
2024-03-12, 07:20 AM
Mostly because there's no way NASA's boffins aren't using GURPS. Heh, I find myself in agreement with you. :smallsmile:

Unoriginal
2024-03-12, 10:09 AM
Not sure how can it be both "systemless" and "for 4-7 lvl 7-10 characters" at the same time.

ACExtravaganza
2024-03-12, 06:18 PM
Not sure how can it be both "systemless" and "for 4-7 lvl 7-10 characters" at the same time.

It's using D&D 5e as an assumed system, but its "adaptable" to other systems. But I agree, they shouldn't be calling it systemless and then saying things like "look up the stats for a green dragon."

NeptunianOM
2024-03-12, 09:42 PM
I have not tried it out but I have it downloaded. It looks like it would be fun to play. I am glad they made it. :smallsmile:

Trask
2024-03-25, 02:47 PM
I appreciate the blend of magic and science fiction, especially one as brazen as this with real Earth and the Hubble space telescope and everything. I like the background! The adventure itself, eh. Kind of bad.

lightningcat
2024-04-04, 01:11 AM
I had a brief discussion of this with a friend, and we decided that was clearly something made by whoever NASA has doing the advertising. Mostly because there's no way NASA's boffins aren't using GURPS.

GURPS, Traveller, or Starfinder (which is what me and the NASA guy I know plays). But using D&D, but not actually just saying that makes me think you are right about who did this.

Red Bear
2024-04-22, 03:06 PM
I like the background! The adventure itself, eh. Kind of bad.
Unfortunately I have to agree:

the premise is great, super thoughtful and intriguing. The adventure is itself is just a social encounter that is possibly decent, a total of two puzzle that aren’t even that special not nasa related and a very plain boss/combat encounter with absolutely nothing special. Very disappointed