PDA

View Full Version : About selling your soul

Samael Morgenst
2024-03-09, 02:40 PM
From the Fiendish Codex 2, about Faustian Pacts (specifically, Pact Certain)

"Such a contract,
negotiated between a devil and a mortal of any alignment
other than lawful evil, exchanges the mortal’s soul for any
number of possible benefi ts. "

Yes, obviously. A Lawful Evil mortal is already damned, so there's no point in signing a contract with him.
And this means also that no one can sign more than a Pact Certain because " Mortals signing such pacts immediately switch alignment
to lawful evil, even if they have not previously taken any
actions of either a lawful or an evil nature. "

What if a Neutral Evil spellcaster creates eight Simulacrum of himself, conjures and bargains with eight harvester devils, each one serving a different archdevil (so all the archdevils except Asmodeus), and have the Simulacri sign the eight Pact Certain in the same exact instant?
Asmodeous is not included in the fraud, because he's next to omniscent. But the other eight are not.

The simulacra are instructed to bargain for determinate benefits, but to ultimately accept what is offered, and to sign the pact PRECISELY at midnight (so there is no margin of error). They even carry synchronized pocket clocks. Specifically: the REWARD offered by the harvester devils varies, but the cost paid by the signer is always identical (his soul, to be paid once he dies).

None of the eight harvester devil knows about the others. They are summoned in different locations, distant between them and heavily protected against divinations, to minimize the chance of them discovering the fraud.

About signing the contract in blood, each Simulacra is provided with a thin vial of the mortal's blood, hidden in a subdermal pouch in their wrist (preserved from coaugulating with a Gentle Repose spell), so they can dip their steel-capped feather in the blood under the harvester's devils gaze, and sign the contracts in a legally valid way.

Tzardok
2024-03-09, 03:12 PM
Surely, if a falxugon can discern wether a mortal is damned or not and so a worthy target for a pact, it can also discern that the simulacrum is soulless, and therefore can't actually sell its (or any other's) soul. They'd smell a rat.

Samael Morgenst
2024-03-09, 03:17 PM
A simulacrum, being an extension of his creation, should be able to sign a valid contract.
It's akin to signing using Mage Hand instead that with your physical hand.

The soul being sold is real, the point of the fraud is selling it to more customers in the same instant.

Tzardok
2024-03-09, 03:41 PM
A simulacrum, being an extension of his creation, should be able to sign a valid contract.
It's akin to signing using Mage Hand instead that with your physical hand.

The soul being sold is real, the point of the fraud is selling it to more customers in the same instant.

It's not. A simulacrum is an independent creature. Yes, it obeys your commands, but you must actually command it. It is not an extension of yourself, like the mage hand or your actual hand.

Furthermore, you can make a simulacrum of another creature. Imagine what would happen if I made a simulacrum of you, took some of your blood and commanded the simulacrum to offer your soul on your behalf to a fiend (I'd of course command it to claim that it was authorized by you). Should that work? Should I be able to sell other people's soul this way and reap the benefits? Of course not. And that's why only you yourself can sell your soul, and not anything that looks and talks like you, but doesn't actually have your soul.

Samael Morgenst
2024-03-09, 03:49 PM
I thought that simulacrum were guided as extensions of your body rather than as obedient constructs or summonings.
Also, I always thought that you can only create a simulacrum of yourself, and that XP cost was a fragment of your soul used to animate it.

JNAProductions
2024-03-09, 03:53 PM
I thought that simulacrum were guided as extensions of your body rather than as obedient constructs or summonings.
Also, I always thought that you can only create a simulacrum of yourself, and that XP cost was a fragment of your soul used to animate it.

Not in 3rd.
Possibly in earlier editions-I’m not well versed in them.

Tzardok
2024-03-09, 03:57 PM
I think you need to reread the text of the spell (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/simulacrum.htm). It clearly starts with "Simulacrum creates an illusory duplicate of any creature. The duplicate creature is partially real and formed from ice or snow."

Elenian
2024-03-09, 08:06 PM
Why use simulacra anyway, though? Just hire some ordinary mortal lawyers empowered to negotiate on your behalf, and don't tell any of them about the fraud scheme.

I mean, I assume it's not going to work and you're going to end up in turbo-hell for trying, but maybe the Lords of the Nine will give you points for chutzpah?

Crake
2024-03-09, 08:33 PM
I would assume that the contract would go to hell to be notorised and copied in triplicate before you recieve any benefit, and after the second devil returns with a deal for the same soul, shenannigans would be called out.

Khatoblepas
2024-03-09, 09:15 PM
"Such a contract,
negotiated between a devil and a mortal of any alignment
other than lawful evil, exchanges the mortal’s soul for any
number of possible benefits. "

A Simulacrum, being of the Construct type, is not a mortal and thus cannot sign a Pact Certain. The closest I can find to a definition of "mortal" is in the Mortal Hunter prestige class:

"mortal" is a term meaning any creature not of the outsider, undead, construct, or fey types.

But that only applies to that prestige class.

Mortals definitely, by FC2, have their souls travel to an afterlife when they die, so they must:
1) Have body/soul duality.
2) be able to die.

Undead and Constructs do not die, they are destroyed. Non-native Outsiders don't have body/soul duality, so their souls go nowhere when destroyed. Fey are generally immortal so they don't have a lifespan.

So I don't think the Pact Certain will even take effect when signed. Nothing will happen. The simulacrum cannot take part in it. The devil might get really angry and destroy the Simulacrum though.

OracleofWuffing
2024-03-09, 09:18 PM
I like the implication that Asmodeous is aware of the fraud you're trying to commit, but finds the attempt humorous enough to not interfere.

You must make a Disguise check when you cast the spell to determine how good the likeness is. A creature familiar with the original might detect the ruse with a successful Spot check (opposed by the caster’s Disguise check) or a DC 20 Sense Motive check.
Not saying there aren't a billion ways to get your Disguise check arbitrarily high, but any devil worth his salt (heh) is going to be familiar with anyone with which he's making deals. That said, support for simultaneous actions is kind of wobbly- you're already relying on fiat with synchronized pocket watches.

If a Simulacrum with a blood pouch (also questionable) counts as a valid signature, there's a further question of if one could use a blood pouch to sign a pact for someone else. The last part of "Negotiating the Deal," states that mortals need to sign the contract with their own blood, so I think the most RAW answer you'll get is that a Simulacrum can't sign a valid Pact with it's caster's blood. The Simulacrum is mortal (decided under a definition that would somehow only benefit the devil, most assuredly), so if it uses any mortal blood other than its own, the contract's invalid. The When, Where, and How the devil would know the contract is invalid is up to the DM, although I'm inclined to suggest that you'll know right away because all benefits will be granted to the Simulacrum what signed the pact... Which has no ability to become more powerful.

From a RAI perspective? Congratulations, you owe your soul to eight conflicting devils to whom you are obligated to equally support, and they know that you tried to cheat the system.

Crake
2024-03-09, 09:19 PM
A Simulacrum, being of the Construct type

Simulacrum makes no mention of altering a creature's type.

EliDupree
2024-03-09, 09:21 PM
This sounds like a great idea!*

*...for the backstory of a guy whose body and soul have now been torn into eight pieces and each piece mounted at the gate to a different circle of Hell, all individually screaming for eternity, as an example to all those who would try to cheat the devils of their due.

Khatoblepas
2024-03-09, 09:24 PM
Simulacrum makes no mention of altering a creature's type.

Hmm, true. I misread some errata. However:

If reduced to 0 hit points or otherwise destroyed, it reverts to snow and melts instantly into nothingness.

It still cannot die.

Crake
2024-03-09, 09:35 PM
Hmm, true. I misread some errata. However:

It still cannot die.

True enough, it acts like a construct in many ways.

I'm actually a little confused why they included fey as nonmortals, but DIDN'T include elementals, when fey present much more mortal features than elementals, who share the trait of having a single body/soul unit with outsiders

Paragon
2024-03-10, 03:41 AM
My take on Faustian Pacts is that since a contract needs to be signed, it can be tampered. I don't buy the "One product, multiple clients" cheat you showcase but I direct you toward the Forgery skill (which is commonly overlooked in D&D)

Here's an example where I pushed the idea a bit.
https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25615448&postcount=54 under the Notes & Discussions section

Hope this'll help

Samael Morgenst
2024-03-10, 02:52 PM
This is from the Fiendish Codex, page 21

Once all possible information has been forcibly extracted
from a captured foe, the devils continue to seek further
advantages. For example, they might offer a captured enemy
a Faustian pact. At fi rst, they merely offer to stop the torture
in exchange for the victim’s soul. Such a pact is not actually
valid, since the terms of the Pact Primeval forbid devils from
coercing mortals into giving up their souls. Thus, an agreement that offers only relief from torture can be successfully
challenged (see Adjudication, page 25). A devil typically
attempts such a bargain anyway, counting on the diffi culty
of lodging appeals to make it stand. If a prisoner resists,
positive rewards are gradually placed on the negotiating
table as well.

So they routinely push for invalid pacts too?
Then they also go around kidnapping people and Dominate them into signing, which is as much invalid?

atemu1234
2024-03-10, 03:52 PM
This is from the Fiendish Codex, page 21

So they routinely push for invalid pacts too?
Then they also go around kidnapping people and Dominate them into signing, which is as much invalid?

Maybe not Dominating, because pretty much any rube would call bull about that, but I can fully imagine them Charming their targets into signing. The idea is that the target isn't familiar with the ins and outs of infernal contract law (but hey, it's better than bird law?).

Curse
2024-03-11, 08:50 AM
If I were the DM I would look into the precise situation and maybe some of the attempts get through - if Asmodeus is not fooled the Falxugons may well be. Most important would be the question at what point the benefit for the PC takes effect and if it can be revoked once the deal becomes apparent. It could end up in some hilarious shenanigans 😁 (I like to go story before RAW).
If you don't recoil from sexual content maybe check out "Fine Print" by Stjepan Sejic. It deals with the exact situation of one person having a contract with two devils at the same time and there might be some inspiration.

Samael Morgenst
2024-03-12, 03:50 PM
Would that Pact Certain proposal be acceptable?

The Soulseller gives: I forfeit any chance of backing down from the contract (by atonement, alignment change or anything else).

The Soulseller asks: If I day for any reason before 50 years from now are expired, you lose my soul. I'm still damned to Hell, but I become property of your master's worst enemy (example: if you work for Mephistopheles , I go to Baalzebul).

Khatoblepas
2024-03-12, 08:44 PM
Would that Pact Certain proposal be acceptable?

The Soulseller gives: I forfeit any chance of backing down from the contract (by atonement, alignment change or anything else).

The Soulseller asks: If I day for any reason before 50 years from now are expired, you lose my soul. I'm still damned to Hell, but I become property of your master's worst enemy (example: if you work for Mephistopheles , I go to Baalzebul).

I think a devil would accept these terms. And then they would cast Imprisonment on you and not undo it for fifty years. Remember: devils are immortal, you are not.

Crake
2024-03-12, 10:03 PM
I think a devil would accept these terms. And then they would cast Imprisonment on you and not undo it for fifty years. Remember: devils are immortal, you are not.

Most devils dont have access to 9th level spells

Thats also a really bad deal, anything that has “for any reason” with no exception clauses, against the devil’s favour, you can bet they wont be signing off on

ESPECIALLY if its something you have the ability to control, ie: killing yourself in the 49th year

GeoffWatson
2024-03-12, 11:08 PM
For the original plan, I'd guess that whichever Devil got the paperwork in first would "win", and the other deals would be cancelled. Or they are all cancelled as Simulacra aren't the "real" character and don't have a soul to sell.

The only reason stupid comic book characters get away with that sort of thing is that there'd be no story if they were stuck in hell.

Samael Morgenst
2024-03-12, 11:10 PM
ESPECIALLY if its something you have the ability to control, ie: killing yourself in the 49th year

It is an undesired outcome.
You get nothing from that, you are still damned - just the devil ALSO gets nothing from that because you go to another master.

Also you deprive yourself of the possibility to live more (through natural or magical means).

The idea behind the conditions is:

"If you arrange my death we both lose"

---

But generally speaking, there's a way to not be cheated (by being killed, directly or indirectly) after striking a Pact Certain?
Because, that whole thing "not only you lose your soul but you even get killed ASAP" it's just... not simply unfair, but frustratingly illogical.

Crake
2024-03-13, 01:01 AM
The idea behind the conditions is:

"If you arrange my death we both lose"

Its more like “heres a reason for my rivals to hunt you down and kill you” though.

But to quote Crowley from supernatural: “I have one rule: make a deal, keep it. There's a reason we don't call our chips in early: consumer confidence. This isn't Wall Street, this is Hell! We have a little something called integrity. If this gets out, who'll deal with us? Nobody! Then, where are we?“

Devils have no reason to reneg on a deal, they will outlive you, unless you find a way to become immortal, but I’m sure there’s a clause in the contract for that. They have no reason to rush, your soul’s damned either way

Samael Morgenst
2024-03-13, 01:20 AM
Its more like “heres a reason for my rivals to hunt you down and kill you” though.

If they know about the contract. Why should they.

But to quote Crowley from supernatural: “I have one rule: make a deal, keep it. There's a reason we don't call our chips in early: consumer confidence. This isn't Wall Street, this is Hell! We have a little something called integrity. If this gets out, who'll deal with us? Nobody! Then, where are we?“

Devils have no reason to reneg on a deal, they will outlive you, unless you find a way to become immortal, but I’m sure there’s a clause in the contract for that. They have no reason to rush, your soul’s damned either way

Yes, that would be the most reasonable approaches, but in Fiendish Codex 2 Tyrants of the Nine Hells, devils are described as bullies that kill the signers as soon as they can to colllect the souls earlier and ensure they don't Atone or similar things.

Crake
2024-03-13, 02:42 AM
If they know about the contract. Why should they.

Spies.

Yes, that would be the most reasonable approaches, but in Fiendish Codex 2 Tyrants of the Nine Hells, devils are described as bullies that kill the signers as soon as they can to colllect the souls earlier and ensure they don't Atone or similar things.

If that were the case 99% of contracts would be immediately sign > death, which would make no sense. Its okay to ignore dumb points of lore.

Samael Morgenst
2024-03-13, 10:13 AM
If that were the case 99% of contracts would be immediately sign > death, which would make no sense. Its okay to ignore dumb points of lore.

Conceptually I concur.
But I would rather prefer finding a way to conciliate canon publications with basic common sense... if possible.

Buufreak
2024-03-13, 11:24 AM

Bad ole Fergus definitely has the right of it here, and generally whenever something like immortals making pacts comes up, this is what I think of. Integrity. Honoring the exact word and intent of the contract. Signing in blood, sealed with a kiss. And even him breaking out forms and scrolls and going through, line by intricate line, with **** Roman.

See, people keep mentioning that the entity the mortal is making the deal with is quite not mortal, but I feel they are missing an important implication of that. Yes, they will outlive you. They will also outpatient you. They don't have to sign a single thing that isn't in their long term favor. They can just as easily find any other rube on any of many planes that both a) has a soul separate from body and b) can say the word yes.

So yes, you can try to twist it and fenangle the terms however you like to best suit your needs and try to win one over on the immortal hell spawn that has been doing this for centuries beyond how long you've been alive. Equally, said outsider can tell you to stop wasting its time (more of a jab than an actual concern), give you the finger, and then journey off to their next potential client.

Leave it with this thought: do you know the legal addage about what is said when a man represents himself in court?

Samael Morgenst
2024-03-17, 04:32 AM
Another idea.

Could the harvester devil be persuaded to add a clause forbidding him or his associates from causing any harm to the client, directly or indirectly?

Offering in exchange to sign an irrevocable contract (one that explicitly over-rules even Atonement), plus other means to assure the client eventual damnation (lifelong service to the harvester's devil archdevil, monthly sentient sacrifices, daily prayers / acts of obeisance, mabye even a Mark of Justice).

Edreyn
2024-03-19, 12:25 PM
Whatever mortal can possibly invent, Baatezu are already familiar with. They exist for much longer time and are way smarter and more vile. I am sure that they do expect literally anything.

And they will do their best to not be tricked by mortal, because if they do, they will face punishment so horrid that we can't even imagine it. Its their safety and not just losing mortal's soul to another devil.

Samael Morgenst
2024-03-19, 04:23 PM
I think devils are overestimated. Not all devils are millennia old, and even those, are limited by their Intelligence scores and skill ranks. They can be superated, they don't gain a +1 to their checks every 100 years or anything similar.

Crake
2024-03-19, 07:04 PM
I think devils are overestimated. Not all devils are millennia old, and even those, are limited by their Intelligence scores and skill ranks. They can be superated, they don't gain a +1 to their checks every 100 years or anything similar.

Not all devils are out there making deals either.

Ice devils for example, are seen explicitly as a dead end promotion, because they kinda suck at making deals due to bad mental ability scores. This is stated directly in fc2

Also, considering that every devil (aside from erinyes) started off as a lowly lemure for centuries before they got promoted to a higher form, even the lowliest of intelligent devils are AT LEAST centuries, and anything above an imp is probably AT LEAST a millennia old

Samael Morgenst
2024-03-20, 01:17 AM
And how many books of infernal jurisprudence does a lemure reads through those centuries?

atemu1234
2024-03-20, 03:40 PM
And how many books of infernal jurisprudence does a lemure reads through those centuries?

They don't really have to - they're beings of pure Law and Evil; that's halfway to a law degree already.

Fero
2024-03-20, 08:54 PM
This sounds like a great idea!*

*...for the backstory of a guy whose body and soul have now been torn into eight pieces and each piece mounted at the gate to a different circle of Hell, all individually screaming for eternity, as an example to all those who would try to cheat the devils of their due.

That is an awesome idea. . . and sounds like the probable long term consequence of this strategy.

Whitsend
2024-03-27, 08:22 PM
Well,
As a GM I have a simple solution to all this.....once the deal is signed, I lean over my GM Screen. Pick up the character sheet and say "My, this makes a great NPC now doesn't it."

When I GM I have a rule that the characters should be striving to be hero's, not villains or Soul-Lawyers.
I have two players that like to be on the edge of that and I periodically reign them in their behavior with "Are you sure this is in your long term interest to alienate the god of the priest that heals you?"
Amazing what behavior changes can occur when "Bless", "Cure" and other buffs stop working on a character.

GeoffWatson
2024-03-27, 08:50 PM
Another idea.

Could the harvester devil be persuaded to add a clause forbidding him or his associates from causing any harm to the client, directly or indirectly?

They'd only consider that if the client and associates were also forbidden to do the same to them.

atemu1234
2024-03-27, 09:49 PM
They'd only consider that if the client and associates were also forbidden to do the same to them.

Also, that's just begging for a non-associated devil to show up and do harm "coincidentally".

Samael Morgenst
2024-05-06, 09:40 AM
I've another few questions about the pratice of selling the soul as described in Fiendish Codex 2: Tyrant of the Nine Hells.
Since I've been repeatedly requested to not open different topics for similar question, I'll write it there.

1. What happens if a soul seller becomes undead or immortal (Cloud Anchorite, Starmetal Adept, repeated use of Steal Life), therefore not dying, not becoming damned? Personally I guess the harvester devil would become increasingly frantic about murdering the contractor.

2. In this situation, would regular sentient sacrifices / offerings of wealth appease temporarily the harvester devil?

3. Could a harvester devil be persuaded to pass a percentage of the XP reward usually offered for a Pact Certain to a cult master for each cultist he manages to successfully convert?

- example: the cult master contacts an harvester devil (a Falxugon) working under Mephistophele. Why specifically the Lord of the Eight?

Until recently, the subtle, fi ery
Mephistopheles operated cults for Asmodeus as part of his
vassalage to the greatest of the archdukes. Now Mephistopheles is slowly relinquishing these subcontracted duties to
build a peculiar cult of his own that promises its members
control of hellfi re—a relatively new magical substance of his
design. This sect, which does not restrict its membership to
lawful evil adherents, has hidden cult aspects because it’s as
much a soul-harvesting operation as a means of entrenching
diabolical power in the Material Plane.

Because it seems the most likely to accept working with external contractors.

According to the Fiendish Codex, harvester devils are autorized to offer a certain amount of experience for the soul of a mortal (600 xp for a Pact Certain with a level 1 character).

The cult master makes this proposal: I convert cultists to Mephistophele, once they die - either in battle, on the sacrificial altar or in any other way - you get the merit for the soul and I get a share of that spiritual energy you would have otherwise offered for them (in game terms, 60 xp or something similar).

4. Excerpt from the Fiendish Codex 2:

Meanwhile, devilish intermediaries might seek out the captured foe’s allies or relatives and offer to return the prisoner
in exchange for their souls. Cash-poor or greedy diabolical
organizations sometimes grudgingly accept large sums of
money in lieu of souls. Where possible, a devil always double
deals, gaining both the prisoner’s soul and at least one other
soul as ransom

Could an harvester devil be persuaded to accept large sums of moneys in lieu of the contractor soul for the same provided benefit?
For example, could a contractor buy spiritual energy (devilish XP) as that offered in a Faustian Pact, paying in cold cash rather than with his soul?

atemu1234
2024-05-08, 10:55 PM
These questions are better asked to your DM - or if you are the DM, pick whatever moves the story forward. If the relatively in-depth rules given don't satisfy your questions, the answers are determined by authority.

vasilidor
2024-05-09, 12:04 AM
I really feel as though this is more the realm of the DM of the game that yo, specifically, are playing. Unless you happen to be said DM and are looking for thoughts on the matter, I don't know what we can really answer except what we would say as the DM.

That said, if you have some creative mage and a way to fake a soul in an illusion or some such, I can see such a ruse working in some circumstances.

spectralphoenix
2024-05-09, 09:54 PM
I would argue that the soul-selling process is a magical ritual more than a mundane legal agreement. The magic actually changes the properties of your soul so it goes to a new destination. Otherwise, a CG character could simply sell his soul and dare his devilish creditors to file a lawsuit against Kord after death. If you attempt to sell a soul that isn't yours or is already sold, the ritual fails and the devil knows you tried to cheat him.

Eurus
2024-05-09, 11:12 PM
1. Eh, they probably account for that. If 0.01% of people you make a soul contract with end up living extremely long lives (even an "immortal" doesn't live forever, you'll die of something eventually), that's a blip on the balance sheet. A smart devil probably takes a hit out on the contracted person if it's practical to do so, and if it's not, write it off as a loss and get to making more contracts. But a devil who's in the red or particularly desperate might do something more risky.

2. Sure, probably. Devils are nasty and spiteful, but they're not generally going to intentionally self-sabotage out of spite. If you're worth more alive than dead, you can probably stay on a devil's good side. But that's not going to win you much wiggle room the second you stop being profitable, and I expect they'd progressively try to squeeze more and more out of you.

3. I'm sure you could get something for it, converting a bunch of people to a fiendish cult in exchange for rewards is one of the more obvious deals that a devil would be happy to make. Whether you could specifically get experience points for it, well, see next question.

4. Experience points/levels are a fuzzy area in most settings. The process of how a devil transfers experience to you in exchange for your soul is unclear, so it's hard to say if it "should" work. But any kind of mechanical "EXP farm" has pretty serious setting implications if you decide to allow it to work consistently, so I probably wouldn't. On the other hand... that does sound like a lot of work, so maybe it's worth roleplay XP? :smallconfused:

Lorddenorstrus
2024-05-17, 02:56 PM
Well,
As a GM I have a simple solution to all this.....once the deal is signed, I lean over my GM Screen. Pick up the character sheet and say "My, this makes a great NPC now doesn't it."

When I GM I have a rule that the characters should be striving to be hero's, not villains or Soul-Lawyers.
I have two players that like to be on the edge of that and I periodically reign them in their behavior with "Are you sure this is in your long term interest to alienate the god of the priest that heals you?"
Amazing what behavior changes can occur when "Bless", "Cure" and other buffs stop working on a character.

Honestly not relevant really. Every discussion that's ever been made can be 'ended' with well the GM/DM just says no. Which is frankly quite boring. Thought experiments presume the GM/DM is permissive or non existent. It's kind of the basis of every thought experiment ever had. So you need to come up with something other than GM/DM fiat to really add to a discussion.

On thread topic though, interesting debate. I do agree w/ OP on one thing that people are over selling the powers of beings. They are in fact quite limited to their stat lines otherwise they wouldn't be available as options for the players to fight. If you want 'powers that be' like above deity or evils so strong their stats are blank to come into effect by all means. But in discussion of lesser evils that do in fact have stat lines and limitations to their power/knowledge/abilities... those lesser evils are in fact trickable. Many a story has come about from tricking weaker evil beings. Whether this specific idea would work I'm still on the fence on.. I do like someone's earlier suggestion of being torn into 8 pieces though.

Jay R
2024-05-17, 10:05 PM
You and I, with computers and digital watches, cannot arrange to end a signature at an exact time, to a billionth of a second. People in a medievaloid world without watches can't even do it to the exact second. One of those contacts is finished first. That is the only benefit the character will get.

Besides, exactly midnight at one spot is not the same time as exactly midnight twenty feet further west. On Earth, at the equator, it's about 13.6 microseconds different.

Gnaeus
2024-05-18, 06:43 AM
For the original plan, I'd guess that whichever Devil got the paperwork in first would "win", and the other deals would be cancelled.

I like the idea of this supernatural race to the courthouse. I now want a boardgame in which players play a gang of devils all trying to navigate their way through some immense hellish court building relying on speed, wits, and (especially) their overwhelming love of bureaucracy to get to the filing room first.

atemu1234
2024-05-18, 04:22 PM
You and I, with computers and digital watches, cannot arrange to end a signature at an exact time, to a billionth of a second. People in a medievaloid world without watches can't even do it to the exact second. One of those contacts is finished first. That is the only benefit the character will get.

Besides, exactly midnight at one spot is not the same time as exactly midnight twenty feet further west. On Earth, at the equator, it's about 13.6 microseconds different.

True but aren't most D&D settings either flat or ptolomeic spheres or some other such nonsense? Idek how time works across planes other than for some planes it just doesn't.

Jay R
2024-05-18, 09:40 PM
True but aren't most D&D settings either flat or ptolomeic spheres or some other such nonsense? Idek how time works across planes other than for some planes it just doesn't.

I have no idea how most D&D settings work. They certainly don't all work the same. My players certainly live on a Ptolemaic world that the planets (including the sun and the moon) all revolve around. But they've also visited a flat world and two finite dimensions, and may soon be on a world that orbits its sun. That's why the DM has the final say on whether this can be made to work. In any case, neither you nor I nor the simulacra can finish a signature to an exact billionth of a second.

Lorddenorstrus
2024-05-19, 08:48 PM
In any case, neither you nor I nor the simulacra can finish a signature to an exact billionth of a second.

Would it be possible to basically make the copies puppets of sorts so that the actions are all chained to the 1 controlling individual magically? I would think if all the actions are simultaneously magically controlled (magic therefore no delay in response like things we do in reality) that they'd all act simultaneously? Odd thought I'm not even sure if it's possible tbh just popped into my head.

Crake
2024-05-19, 09:10 PM
Would it be possible to basically make the copies puppets of sorts so that the actions are all chained to the 1 controlling individual magically? I would think if all the actions are simultaneously magically controlled (magic therefore no delay in response like things we do in reality) that they'd all act simultaneously? Odd thought I'm not even sure if it's possible tbh just popped into my head.

Its irrelevant, because all paperwork needs to be approved, notorized, and filed away in hell’s vaults before any benefits are given out, and as soon as the second devil comes in with the paperwork for the same guy, shenannigans will be called.

Samael Morgenst
2024-05-20, 11:51 AM
Nah.
Contract devil working for different archdukes has nowhere near this level of cooperation.

The Fiendish Codex mentions devils being punished for offering too much for a soul, and repeatedly suggest that a significant minority of contracts are actually fraudolent (obtained through cohercion and successfully challengeable , if one knows about Baator's laws).

The burocracy of Hell is nowhere as efficient and cooperative as you appear to think, and it should not surprise, given that each archduke is constantly sabotaging half of the others, and every one of them hates their boss Asmodeus.

vasilidor
2024-05-20, 08:48 PM
I figure if a devil gets fooled by this, they might be impressed as well as angry. But assuming that you had a permissive DM, and the character could somehow have replicas faking having a soul, or the devil does not have enough magic to sense a soul (as it is not one of the abilities they have listed normally), then it might just work.

Jay R
2024-05-27, 10:26 PM
You are trying to out-clever and out-lie and out-cheat the devils.

That never turns out as well as one hopes.