PDA

View Full Version : Persisted Divine Meta Magic and Familiars

incog64
2024-03-13, 08:24 AM
I am Divine Caster with a familiar via the Mystic WAnderer Prestige Class. If I can cast a DMM Persisted Spell on me while my familiar is near does the spell expire after the familiar moves away or does it stay persisted?

Thanks.

InvisibleBison
2024-03-13, 08:34 AM
The spell would expire if your familiar moves more than 5 feet away from you, as per the text of the Share Spells (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#familiars) ability. Persistent Spell wouldn't affect this; it changes the duration, but Share Spells doesn't care what the duration is if it's not instantaneous.

incog64
2024-03-13, 08:44 AM
The spell would expire if your familiar moves more than 5 feet away from you, as per the text of the Share Spells (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#familiars) ability. Persistent Spell wouldn't affect this; it changes the duration, but Share Spells doesn't care what the duration is if it's not instantaneous.

That tracks. Thanks.

YellowJohn
2024-03-13, 08:48 AM
I think it's worth mentioning, for clarity, that the spell only ends for the familiar. The spell on you keeps going.

Anthrowhale
2024-03-13, 08:48 AM
You might check out the Enspell Familiar feat, which extends the range of a shared spell from 5' to 1 mile.

incog64
2024-03-13, 09:31 AM
You might check out the Enspell Familiar feat, which extends the range of a shared spell from 5' to 1 mile.

Will do. That's pretty insightful. Thanks.

Darg
2024-03-13, 06:54 PM

Which is honestly such a power hike compared to the PHBII's Companion Spellbond feat for animal companions which goes from 5' to 30'.

Chronos
2024-03-14, 03:46 PM
Especially since you can pretty much always bring a familiar with you in your pocket, but you'll often need to be separated more than that from an animal companion. A grizzly bear probably isn't coming into Waterdeep with you, and even if you've got something civilized like a horse, how far is your room from the inn's stables?