PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph/Alternate Form + Eating = ?

seedjar
2007-12-14, 10:01 PM
So this has bothered me for a while. I play a druid, and ever since I gained access to Large and Huge forms I've taken to the tactic of eating things that need to be disposed of - opponents, seized weapons, little yipping guard dogs, etc.
My question is, what happens when I return to Medium size with a belly full of objects that I couldn't possibly have swallowed at my normal size? Do they 'fall to the ground in my space' as the rules dictate for worn or held equipment? Should I dare wonder what's involved in this 'falling?'
This seems to be one of those gray areas to me. The rules don't explicitly say either way; maybe it's in the errata? Please share your interpretations.
Thanks,
~Joe

martyboy74
2007-12-14, 10:10 PM
They disappear, and their individual sub-atomic particles are re-organized to help fuel the summoning spells that are instantaneous in duration.

There's no good answer for this question.

Xefas
2007-12-14, 10:16 PM
Roll 1d2 to determine which window the items/creatures pop out of:

1) Attic
2) Cellar

Irreverent Fool
2007-12-14, 10:23 PM
I imagine the same thing happens as happens when you eat a full meal and polymorph/alternate form into something smaller. Nothing. If you're worried about them still being alive after your size changes, I suggest using the same rules a spell in the Spell Compendium that allows you to swallow things as big as you are. It's called 'Bite of the King' or something similar. Basically, it shunts them into a pocket 'stomach' dimension that they can break free of and if they do, they appear adjacent to you rather than cutting their way free from your stomach.

Of course, a mean DM may do something else.

Aquillion
2007-12-14, 10:24 PM
Do you remember that skit in The Meaning of Life? "It is only wafer-thin?"

Yeah. Like that.

(Not really. But it had to be said.)

Ungvar
2007-12-14, 10:34 PM
Imagine that you wild shape into a cat, and one of your comrades puts a collar on you to disguise you as the palace cat. You roam through the castle until you reach the evil king's chambers. You resume your normal form and search until you find the documents that prove he actually had the true heir imprisoned far below the castle. Then you wild shape into a bird and fly out the window.

Now, your collar is probably still lying on the bedchamber floor, because it "fell off" when you resumed normal form, and you were too distracted to remember it. But how could it just "fall off"? Wouldn't the expansion of your neck have caused it to choke you to death? Maybe if the body becomes a mystical, amorphous mass in the middle of wildshaping, everything that was supported by that body just falls through to the ground.

But I think your real problem is expecting a consistent internal logic in D&D, and I just don't think there's a lot of that going around.

Ralfarius
2007-12-14, 10:39 PM
Their size is changed, relative to your stomach, and you keep on digesting them. Yeah!

seedjar
2007-12-14, 10:43 PM
I'd like consistency, but I'm not expecting it to make any sense in terms of real-world phenomena. My group's interpretation so far has been that anything effectively contained in one's body is considered part of the anatomy when returning to native form, and thus it disappears into the aether, just like turning into a chicken and getting pregnant wouldn't leave your shorts full of eggs when you change back. Nothing in our game has ever made it back from this process, but I imagine that if "Where's it all go?" becomes a question, we could probably rule that items are scattered into some other plane (probably the astral plane or some nature-themed one) like when you put an extradimensional space inside another extradimesional place, or forget a secret chest.
This judgement was mostly based on convenience and the fact that our DM didn't object at the time, but it's sort of justified by the way that you can gorge yourself in normal form and then change into something smaller. Arguably, it contradicts the idea that magical changes in size are usually essentially harmless, but when you factor in digestive effects you get a slippery slope in terms of what's in-tact in the stomach and what has truly been integrated into the form's physiology.
~Joe

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-12-14, 11:35 PM
It's called 'Bite of the King' or something similar. Basically, it shunts them into a pocket 'stomach' dimension that they can break free of and if they do, they appear adjacent to you rather than cutting their way free from your stomach.

I remember taking that feat. That's how I ate the Meatnormous Omlette Sandwich.

Dode
2007-12-14, 11:41 PM
Magic.

You were expecting something else?

ronnyfire
2007-12-15, 12:19 AM
they could be sent to various planes, explaining why so many mages can summon so many horses!

Old_el_Paso
2007-12-15, 12:40 AM
Their size is changed, relative to your stomach, and you keep on digesting them. Yeah!Digest weapons? I'm afraid that might hurt a bit coming out.

seedjar
2007-12-15, 02:27 AM
Well I only tried it with soft stuff, before my DM let me take Dragon Wild Shape. But I only got to eat two short swords and a few daggers before I took over as DM, so now I really can't bring my PC out much without feeling like I'm spoiling the game.
~Joe