PDA

View Full Version : Super-human classification

Bluelantern
2007-12-14, 11:12 PM
Hello, I am creating a classification for super-humans, to use in a RPG setting. It has only "mutants" individuals, and no actual magic heroes (however see the quantic class).

I know that while it may sound like a thread for the gaming section, I felt that the subject was more interesting to be debated in the comic section, as a way to find how likely heroes powers "work" or relate to one another.

Mainly, my idea is based on the Mutant X classification of mutants (terrible show, but this idea was good).

The Class that I come up with are:

Champions or Super-sapiens - have otherwise "normal" human abilities at super-human levels, such as super-strength, enhanced regeneration and photographic memory.
Psionic or Mind masters - mind powers like telepathy, telekinesis, mind control, etc.
Beasts or Ferals - Include those with animal-like powers and also plant-like traits.
Elementals or Energetics - Have powers over (one kind of) matter or energy, Pirokinessis, Magnetic powers and others are the powers of that class.
Dimensional or Quantics - Have the powers the can alter the laws of physic or reality itself. Intangibility, Probability manipulation and Time control are examples.
Meta-morph or Trans-morph - can change themselves, altering or adapting them own bodies. It may be just physical transformation, but some may actually change enough to copy powers.

You can classify almost any super-heroes archetypes and super-powers in those groups, Some are in two or more, but is ok.

Currently, my doubt is how classify super-humans like The Thing and Colossus, the x-man may be a Trans-morph, but the Thing is more like a elemental.

Any suggestions or ideas?

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-12-14, 11:16 PM
The Thing was changed, he can't change himself at will. Elemental.

I don't know if you're going Chinese-style and counting metal as an element (this is why Doctor Doom wears the armour, by the way), but otherwise, Colossus would be a transmorph. I think he has super-strength even without the organic steel body (although it doesn't really come up often enough for me to be sure), so he's probably a Champion, too.

Bluelantern
2007-12-14, 11:41 PM
The Thing was changed, he can't change himself at will. Elemental.

Yeah, but I was thinking elementals more as "Controlers" than having weird body structure.

I don't know if you're going Chinese-style and counting metal as an element (this is why Doctor Doom wears the armour, by the way), but otherwise, Colossus would be a transmorph. I think he has super-strength even without the organic steel body (although it doesn't really come up often enough for me to be sure), so he's probably a Champion, too.

Despite the name, elementals aren't limited to the mistical elements, thought those are likely to be common.

The line between Champions limits is really blurred xP. I was even thinking that those classification could be given to any "human" hero. I mean, how perfect can someone be only with training??? (Batman, Green Arrow, and so on).

Rowanomicon
2007-12-15, 02:43 AM
Colossus would be trans-morph because he is a normal (albeit bury and above average strength) human who turns into a metal person with super strength, endurance, and natural armor.

The Thing would be a bit harder to classify. I think he fits more into the Champion classification since his powers (strength, endurance, and natural armor) are merely advancements on the human condition and are always on. He does have a strange appearance, but it's more for flavour (and to explain his natural armor).

That's my take on it anyway.

Logic
2007-12-15, 06:45 AM
Colossus would be trans-morph because he is a normal (albeit bury and above average strength) human who turns into a metal person with super strength, endurance, and natural armor.

The Thing would be a bit harder to classify. I think he fits more into the Champion classification since his powers (strength, endurance, and natural armor) are merely advancements on the human condition and are always on. He does have a strange appearance, but it's more for flavour (and to explain his natural armor).

That's my take on it anyway.

Agreed. His "rocky" state is gives him the powers, which was caused by a mutation/transformation. He has no ability to transform at will (the line you seem to justify entry into a "transmorph" class) nor is he able to control the classical elemental forces, nor anything that falls into the elemental category.

His appearance is the cause of his powers, or he has powers, and the drawback is his appearance. You decide how a character like that would be explained, but Thing is clearly a "Champion" class hero, based on the descriptions given.

Bluelantern
2007-12-15, 08:08 AM
Actually, I was thinking that Champions would be essencially human-looking, they would be the most "Normal" of the super-humans... However, I do get the logic in puting Ben there.... Damn, now I am even more confused ù,ú

In another line of logic, he could be a Feral, why? The basic characteristic is having biologic traits that don't exist in humans, and (in theory), if something like Ben is possible, somewhere in the existence there must be a "rock animal" and if you use it as a base to a Feral... Well, damn.

I guess I will just file him under the "Other" label xD

Anyway, overall, do you guys think that the class get all the powers? Anything that is missing (besides magic, who is kinda there in the Quantum class).

Kaelaroth
2007-12-15, 08:15 AM
I assume force-fields are part of the "Quantum" section?

Maroon
2007-12-15, 10:41 AM
I assume force-fields are part of the "Quantum" section?This depends on what kinds of force-field it is. If it's magnetic, then it's Energetic -- if it is changing the state of atoms to stop moving, it's Quantum. The difference is in whether the power uses a pre-existing medium (sound, electromagnetism, chemical reactions, etc.) or simply changes the state of matter/energy directly. I guess. Telekinesis should actually be Quantics unless there is such a thing as psionic 'electromagnetism', i.e. actual 'brainwaves'.

Bluelantern
2007-12-15, 10:48 AM
What Maroon said. I pretty much put telekinesis under the psionic umbrela for "tradition sake", but the entire psionic class could easily be considered "Elemental/Energetic", assuming that the "Mind power" is kinda of energy. But again, psionics is generaly considered separate thing than Human-Torch power of pirokinesis.

Since is fiction, why not 3 diferent kinds of "Force fields"? One mental, Other Energetic and finally a Quantum.

Shraik
2007-12-15, 11:17 AM
Just a note, I would put magnetism under Quantic.

Bluelantern
2007-12-15, 06:50 PM
Just a note, I would put magnetism under Quantic.

I was thinking about that too, but Magnetic fields can be artificially created, and Magneto and other powered-like individuals seem to create magnetic fields, not alter how they work. Gravity control, however, sounds Quantic, but I don't know.

Note: with Magnetics as a quantum power, we could more or less classify the Magneto family entirely in this domain, specially with Pietro new time-traveling powers.