PDA

View Full Version : Power Attack and multiple hands?

piffta
2007-12-15, 06:11 AM
Ok, here is my problem:

I know that if you use a weapon with more than two hands you add additional (STR/2) to your damage for each hand after second, so with three hands you add STR*2, with four hands the bonus is 2.5*STR .....

My problem is that I cannot find how much bonus damage is added for each point of BAB when Power Attack is used in this manner (with more than two hands). So ... please help.

Thanks in advance

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-15, 06:17 AM
I don't think it is covered anywhere, but there are rules in Savage Species for using more than two hands to wield a weapon and the corresponding bonus to STR, which you already know.

So I suggest you use that as a baseline for formulating a house rule if you think that makes more sense, just be careful it does not become too abusive.

Maybe have three hands add 2.5 and four hands 3 times the penalty.

Nebo_
2007-12-15, 06:20 AM
You only add strength more than once, not power attack. You still PA 2:1

Talic
2007-12-15, 06:48 AM
However, Multiattacking critters with 4 arms can quite feasibly dual wield greatswords, for 2 seperate power attacks.

Which gives me a thought. What do you think the feasibility is for a two weapon fighter to use 2 medium weapons (at an additional -2 penalty, I know) with Dual Strike and leap attack to get a pair of weapons power attacking at 1 for 2? Total 1 for 4 on a charge, if both hit... Offset by power attacking for 2 less?

On a 1 for 3 power attack with a greatsword and leap attack, you'd get with a hit at -5 penalty, 2D6 + (1.5*Str) + 15.

On the above method at a -3 penalty with dual longswords, you'd get 2D8 + (1.5*Str) + 12.

At -10 and -8, it'd be:
2D6 + (1.5*Str) + 30
2D8 + (1.5*Str) + 32

Factoring in Shock trooper, you'd just keep the amount equal, since the penalty is going to AC anyway, and you just take the additional -2 to hit.

However, this would require a fighter build, as it's a lot of feats.

I mean, with Dual Strike, precision damage is only added once... But Power attack isn't precision, and as long as the off hand isn't light, it applies to both...
It's a thought.

martyboy74
2007-12-15, 06:50 AM
If you have four arms, dual wielding <insert two-handed weapon here>, can you power attack with the two swords seperately? For example, power attacking for -5 on one sword, and -10 on the other sword.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-15, 06:55 AM
No.

... subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls.

(POST NOW!)

Aquillion
2007-12-15, 03:33 PM
Hey, that makes me notice something.

On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.It says "on your action", but it says 'all' attack rolls... it doesn't limit it to all of your attack rolls. That means that if you take an action that would provoke an attack of opportunity, you can use your Power Attack feat to subtract a number from the enemy's attack roll and add it to their damage! If your BAB is above theirs, you can even force them into the negatives, although it would hurt if it hit.

...hey, don't look at me like that. That's the RAW.

Kizara
2007-12-15, 03:37 PM
Hey, that makes me notice something.

It says "on your action", but it says 'all' attack rolls... it doesn't limit it to all of your attack rolls. That means that if you take an action that would provoke an attack of opportunity, you can use your Power Attack feat to subtract a number from the enemy's attack roll and add it to their damage! If your BAB is above theirs, you can even force them into the negatives, although it would hurt if it hit.

...hey, don't look at me like that. That's the RAW.

:smallannoyed:

I suppose it doesn't EXPLICITLY say "your attack rolls" in the opening. That's actually pretty amusing if you look at it that way and make no assumptions.

Aquillion
2007-12-15, 09:32 PM
Actually, I just noticed something even worse:
On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.
That's what it says. I don't think there's really any arguing with it; it's plainly not what was intended, but as written, although you can only activate power attack on your action before making your melee attack rolls, the penalty and damage bonus apply to every attack made by anyone until your next turn. In fact, there's no range listed, so it affects everyone everywhere. Also, if you die before your next turn, or otherwise don't get a next turn for some reason...

FlyMolo
2007-12-15, 09:37 PM
If you Power Attack, you power attack with all your attacks, all at once. Interestingly, this applies to AoOs too. And maybe Great Cleave. It does say all attacks.

tyckspoon
2007-12-15, 09:37 PM
That's what it says. I don't think there's really any arguing with it; it's plainly not what was intended, but as written, although you can only activate power attack on your action before making your melee attack rolls, the penalty and damage bonus apply to every attack made by anyone until your next turn. In fact, there's no range listed, so it affects everyone everywhere. Also, if you die before your next turn, or otherwise don't get a next turn for some reason...

Oh, nevermind what happens to you. The cumulative effects of every monster and adventurer in the world using Power Attack at any given time should mean that nobody anywhere can ever hit anything.

Starsinger
2007-12-15, 09:39 PM
Oh, nevermind what happens to you. The cumulative effects of every monster and adventurer in the world using Power Attack at any given time should mean that nobody anywhere can ever hit anything.

But that one fateful natural 20...

de-trick
2007-12-15, 09:48 PM
I had a fighter with 4 arm's with a feat like willful deformity, had 4 bastard swords, I'd go in with 2 2-handed than went to 4 bastard swords. took lo of time on my turn to get all attacks off.

FlyMolo
2007-12-15, 09:49 PM
This is why governments use armies and not one or two high-level adventurers!

More nat. 20s. Ergo, more hits and scary more damage. A platoon of 20 archers with improved critical vs. one 20th level barbarian?

de-trick
2007-12-15, 09:53 PM
This is why governments use armies and not one or two high-level adventurers!

More nat. 20s. Ergo, more hits and scary more damage. A platoon of 20 archers with improved critical vs. one 20th level barbarian?
reminds me of the last Samurai, how all those samurais who were masters died by those random soldier's

Arbitrarity
2007-12-15, 09:57 PM
Actually, this means archers are great, as they hit consistiently. But all melee attacks that hit are instant kills...

:smallannoyed:

Oh. Damn.

Surge of Fortune

Talic
2007-12-16, 12:58 AM

Guess it'd make sense for wizards to have 10 hill giant minions who power attack for max every round, then... The resulting -80+ everyone would get to hit would mean that a 2 AC wizard is relatively safe, so long as he's not throwing touch attacks.