PDA

View Full Version : Filled [Werewolf / Mafia] A Small Wager – A Practical Guide to Evil

Book Wombat
2024-03-24, 03:48 PM
"In the beginning, there were only the Gods.

Aeons untold passed as they drifted aimlessly through the Void, until they grew bored with this state of affairs. In their infinite wisdom they brought into existence Creation, but with Creation came discord. The Gods disagreed on the nature of things: some believed their children should be guided to greater things, while others believed that they must rule over the creatures they had made.”

“So, we are told, were born Good and Evil.”

“Ages passed in fruitless argument between them until finally a wager was agreed on: it would be the mortals that settled the matter, for strife between the gods would only result in the destruction of all. We know this wager as Fate, and thus Creation came to know war. Through the passing of the years grooves appeared in the workings of Fate, patterns repeated until they came into existence easier than not, and those grooves came to be called Roles. The Gods gifted these Roles with Names, and with those came power. We are all born free, but for every man and woman comes a time where a Choice must be made.”

“It is, we are told, the only choice that ever really matters.”

— The first page of the Book of All Things —
(The prologue of A Practical Guide to Evil.)

And so you too have become a part of this wager between the gods Above and Below, seeking to make your mark upon the world. Will you make your story known to the whole of Creation, or will it flicker out like a candle in the storm?

I'll be narrating a game of Mafia/Werewolf with custom rules based on the web serial "A Practical Guide to Evil" (one of my favourites, would definitely recommend reading). Whether you are new or old, all are welcome to play! No prior knowledge of the serial or the general gameplay is needed.

Werewolf / Mafia at its core is rather simple, with two factions fighting to win. Town (henceforth called the Heroes) do not start in contact with each other, clueless to the identities of their allies, while the Wolves / Mafia (Villains, the minority) do start with in contact with each other.

The game cycles through two phases, Day and Night, with different actions being possible in each phase.The Day phase will normally last around 48 hours, after a certain number of players are left it will decrease to 24 hours, and the Night phase will last around 24 hours. During the Day players can choose someone to lynch by voting, this is done by marking a player's name in bold red. Nicknames also count as long as they are recognizable. Examples:

I don't like Book Wombat.

Wombat seems suspicious.

Votes are not set in stone and may be changed at any time before the end of day by crossing out the previous vote like this. If multiples votes are cast without old ones being struck-through, the latest one will still count, however will make my job harder.
At the end of the day I will declare the result of the vote. Whoever has the most votes in the end will be lynched, revealing their role and alignment. Ties will be resolved by a certain method, not randomly.
After day has passed it becomes night, in which active powers may be used.
Then the cycle starts anew.

The game ends once either all the Villains have been lynched or the Heroes' defeat is inevitable.

Notes:

Narrator and private communication will be done over Discord while the game itself will be played over the forum.
I, the Narrator, will not lie. However, there may be powers which interfere with the veracity of the narration.
No private communication is allowed other than what is set up by myself.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

The web serial has the concept of the narrative being an actual force in the world and its happenings. Heroes thrown over cliffs will likely survive no matter how unlikely, and a villain claiming invincibility will almost certainly soon face an untimely demise. This shall also play a role in this game, along with a few other changes.

Roles will be called Names.
Powers will be called Aspects.
Along with the two main factions, Heroes (Town) and Villains (Wolves), there will likely be a few Neutrals with their own goals.
Names aren't set in stone, and can change throughout the game depending on the circumstances as well as your own actions.
Not all Names will start with limit of three Aspects, similar to Names they can be cgained throughout the game.
Minor and major injuries will be possible rather than just being either alive or dead. Both types can affect Names and Aspects, and two major injuries will lead to death barring other factors.
There will be a few bastardy mechanics under the name of Namelore, the general term for the effect stories have on the Named (Heroes and Villains both), such as the Rule of Three and Providence.

Player List:

Caedorus
Snowblaze
flat_footed
Xihirli
Persolus
Dakrsidder
Let'sGetKraken
3SecondCultist
Cazero
MerelBlackbird
Athedia
CaoimhinTheCape

Spectators:

Illven
Rogan
Taffimai
Xumtiil
Batcathat

Discord invite (https://discord.gg/FB2BdshfEY).

Recruitment will end on the 2nd of April and the game will likely start on the 3rd.

Caedorus
2024-03-24, 03:58 PM
in!
I am, in fact, immortal and cannot be defeated.

2024-03-24, 04:00 PM
This interests me.

Snowblaze
2024-03-24, 04:07 PM
It's finally happening!

flat_footed
2024-03-24, 04:52 PM
Intertwining fates.

Xihirli
2024-03-24, 05:00 PM
Put me in, coach!

Illven
2024-03-24, 05:05 PM
Operation spectate enabled.

Persolus
2024-03-24, 07:03 PM
Oh god rule of 3

I'm in.

Dakrsidder
2024-03-24, 07:19 PM
Been considering joining a mafia/werewolf game for a bit, so color me intrigued

Let'sGetKraken
2024-03-24, 10:24 PM
There are no words for how in I am.

Book Wombat
2024-03-25, 02:03 AM
Been considering joining a mafia/werewolf game for a bit, so color me intrigued

Welcome! Make sure to join the Discord (link at the bottom of the opening post).

3SecondCultist
2024-03-25, 06:17 AM
“Whether they be gods or kings or all the armies in Creation.”

Cazero
2024-03-25, 12:37 PM
Sign me up, Scotty !

MerelBlackbird
2024-03-25, 01:28 PM
I'm in for this one!

Athedia
2024-03-25, 02:32 PM
I never learn my lesson. I'm in.

CaoimhinTheCape
2024-03-27, 08:45 AM
I'll join as well

Batcathat
2024-04-01, 10:10 AM
I'll probably be a bit short on time, so I think I better just be a spectator for this one.

corncobweb
2024-04-04, 02:16 PM
🌽🕸 joining! I've wanted to read that story, since a year or so. Ended up reading other stories instead. Book Wombat are you into the Rational Fiction community?

Athedia
2024-04-04, 02:55 PM
🌽🕸 joining! I've wanted to read that story, since a year or so. Ended up reading other stories instead. Book Wombat are you into the Rational Fiction community?

Hey unfortunately game started already.