PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other [Feat] Work Smarter, Not Harder

2024-03-26, 04:38 PM
Work Smarter, Not Harder
It would take a lot of time and effort to cheat your way into enough feats to learn everything the 'right' way, both in and out of character. But since you're not being limited to official sources anyway, why bother with all that effort? Just take what you want!

Prereq: must possess at least two flaws that minimally impact your playstyle
Effect: You instantly learn every spell and power that's ever been written for any d20 system compatible with D&D 3.5 edition. That includes PF1, d20 Modern, FFd20, homebrew nonsense - all of it. Additionally, you gain one bonus feat.
Special: Ain't you just?

Silva Stormrage
2024-03-26, 08:26 PM
... This feels oddly targeted towards players who use flaws. Mostly flaws minimally impact builds. Vulnerable is -1 AC and isn't incredibly relevant to most builds as a 5% more chance of being hit is pretty minimal.

Do you just hate flaws or is there some joke I am missing here? Flaws aren't even unofficial, they are just a variant rule and its up to the DM to allow or disallow them.

Buufreak
2024-03-26, 10:32 PM
If I know AV like I think I do, this isn't malicious in nature, and is far more mocking and for a tongue in cheek giggle.

2024-03-26, 11:03 PM
... This feels oddly targeted towards players who use flaws. Mostly flaws minimally impact builds. Vulnerable is -1 AC and isn't incredibly relevant to most builds as a 5% more chance of being hit is pretty minimal.

Do you just hate flaws or is there some joke I am missing here? Flaws aren't even unofficial, they are just a variant rule and its up to the DM to allow or disallow them.

I use flaws a lot, because most characters are feat-starved. This post is...not about flaws. This was prompted by a 3.x subforum discussion seeking out abilities like this that could grant access to any spell/power that's ever been written for 3.X stuff. This was a tongue-in-cheek "this is pretty easy if homebrew is on the table" answer.

Initially the pre-req was more...personally targeted and tbh mean-spirited. Now it's just a general wave at a common "forum optimizer" dog whistle.

Metastachydium
2024-03-27, 10:31 AM
Look, it's not even like knowing a spell or power lets one use it without having the right kind of slot/amount of PP! This is just reasonable quality-of-life stuff, and entirely balanced at that![/BLUE]

Silva Stormrage
2024-03-28, 03:35 PM
I use flaws a lot, because most characters are feat-starved. This post is...not about flaws. This was prompted by a 3.x subforum discussion seeking out abilities like this that could grant access to any spell/power that's ever been written for 3.X stuff. This was a tongue-in-cheek "this is pretty easy if homebrew is on the table" answer.

Initially the pre-req was more...personally targeted and tbh mean-spirited. Now it's just a general wave at a common "forum optimizer" dog whistle.

Ah okay I missed that context so I was very confused about where this was coming from. Sorry about that :smallbiggrin:

Temotei
2024-04-13, 02:10 AM
Doesn't even give you a familiar, so it's pretty underpowered.

Metastachydium
2024-04-13, 03:29 PM
Doesn't even give you a familiar, so it's pretty underpowered.

Right? Hard to survive without one of those. If only the feat increased HD to d20 somehow…

KingJames
2024-04-24, 09:48 PM
Seems balanced to me.