PDA

View Full Version : Wild West settings

Buufreak
2024-03-27, 01:39 PM
I'm generally looking for various books, sources, games, etc, that could help build up a wild west feel. I'm happy to work with different systems and options to get a game to where I want it to be.

Edit: I do have copies of darksun 4e, and pure steam for PF and it's westbound expansion.

Mordar
2024-03-27, 04:37 PM
Deadlands (the classic) seems a pretty good option - you could even file off the supernatural elements or scale them back, if needs be. This had the feel, for me, and had plenty of reasonable source material for a decent post-Civil War-era game.

The first Boot Hill (TSR) was really just a combat system, as I recall, but maybe the successor versions offer something more?

- M

Anonymouswizard
2024-03-27, 05:45 PM
Deadlands (the classic) seems a pretty good option - you could even file off the supernatural elements or scale them back, if needs be. This had the feel, for me, and had plenty of reasonable source material for a decent post-Civil War-era game.

The Savage Worlds versions are also worth a look, I only have Hell on Earth Reloaded but I hear the updates to the original are pretty good. Probably helps that SW is essentially a stripped down Dead lands system-wise (mostly to allow large battles to be played in a day). Honestly the biggest issue is probably that one setting element that the latest edition removed, the original Weird West setting isn't otherwise a big deviation because of how recent the fantasy elements are.

The latest edition even apparently drops the scope to 'arrive in new town, deal with local weird things, leave'. So the supernatural becomes much easier to cut out and reduce if you want to

There's also various other games out there, although I've not personally played any of them. Like I've heard of Aces & Eights, Dogs in the Vineyard, and seen a couple of things on DTRPG, but I don't know if they're good.

Psyren
2024-03-27, 06:14 PM
I belief White Wolf's World of Darkness setting has some western splats you could use for inspiration (if not mechanics.) Werewolf: The Wild West would be the main one.

Mordar
2024-03-27, 06:44 PM
The Savage Worlds versions are also worth a look, I only have Hell on Earth Reloaded but I hear the updates to the original are pretty good. Probably helps that SW is essentially a stripped down Dead lands system-wise (mostly to allow large battles to be played in a day). Honestly the biggest issue is probably that one setting element that the latest edition removed, the original Weird West setting isn't otherwise a big deviation because of how recent the fantasy elements are.

The latest edition even apparently drops the scope to 'arrive in new town, deal with local weird things, leave'. So the supernatural becomes much easier to cut out and reduce if you want to

As I recall, didn't the SW books lean into the generic thing, and strip away some of the flavor and reference material in the DL books? Of course, there were dozens of Deadlands books and far fewer SW: the Deadlanding books, so maybe just a byproduct of mass.

- M

Anonymouswizard
2024-03-27, 09:09 PM
As I recall, didn't the SW books lean into the generic thing, and strip away some of the flavor and reference material in the DL books? Of course, there were dozens of Deadlands books and far fewer SW: the Deadlanding books, so maybe just a byproduct of mass.

- M

Nah, I believe ABs that use the Power mechanics rather than getting unique Edges lose a lot of flavour, as there's little space spent on trappings. It's definitely a tradeoff to consider: do you think inbuilt trappings make up for slower gameplay?

The real advantage to the Savage Worlds versions is that they're current, I'm not certain that Pinnacle is still selling the Anniversary Edition of Classic. That can make procuring them a lot less if a hassle (although it still took me a while to find anywhere with HoER for sale, because I was looking a good decade after release). That and the fact that some of the subsettings are SW-only, but I think that's just Noir for now.

Pauly
2024-03-28, 12:30 AM
I'm generally looking for various books, sources, games, etc, that could help build up a wild west feel. I'm happy to work with different systems and options to get a game to where I want it to be.

Edit: I do have copies of darksun 4e, and pure steam for PF and it's westbound expansion.

While it isn't totally on point Space 1889 is a Victorian Steam Punk setting.
If you strip out the steam punk there is a very solid historical basis to build on. The core setting is for European focussed PCs, but there is enough American information to develop further, especially if you have other sources to help flesh out things.

For overlap with current systems I think the 2010 reprint using Savage Worlds is your best bet

Edit to add:
If you are interested in mass combat the Space 1889 Soldier's Companion is a fantastic fast play wargame. Very flavoursome and easy to play

LibraryOgre
2024-03-28, 11:14 AM
Kenzer & Co (known for Hackmaster (https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/104757/hackmaster-basic-free?affiliate_id=315505), Kingdoms of Kalamar (https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/58027/kingdoms-of-kalamar-4th-edition-campaign-setting?affiliate_id=315505), and Knights of the Dinner Table (https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/468890/kodt-310?affiliate_id=315505)) have Aces & Eights (https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/78573/aces-eights-player-s-guidebook?affiliate_id=315505).