PDA

View Full Version : (PEACH) Monster Ghetto [homebrew setting idea]

Eerie
2007-12-15, 05:20 PM
Imagine a generic fantasy world with low tech and average magic, where magic succeeded to replace some aspects of real world technology - better medicine and reliable food production.

As a result, population exploded.

What happened few hundred years later, is that vast majority of available land is now covered with one quasi-medieval megalopolis. In some places, it resembles the Kowloon Walled City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_Walled_City). People even live on rafts and ships, and some mages are trying to break into elemental planes to colonise them, but the way there is still long. Food is grown in greenhouses, special protected farm areas, sometimes on the roofs of huge condominiums that are spawned everywhere. Oceans are heavily depleted of fish. Few remaining wild reservations are protected by royal houses and druids.

Another outcome of the population surge is that humanoids by cheer numbers subdued all the monstrous races. Most were destroyed, some were accepted as racial minorities, and the remainder, who were too wierd, violent, or proud to live among humanoids, but still could be useful to them, were forced into ghettoes. Those "neighbourhoods", for lack of a better word, are usually surrounded by walls and located on the bottom of ravines, so they could be isolated better. Cramped there are what remains of the monster races. We are talking about everything - dragons, illithids, beholders... Alignment doesn`t matter when you are surrounded by tens of billions of people who hate you. Even the Tarrasque is rumored to sleep somewhere under one of the ghettoes.

Those ghettoes are crazy places, and rarely visited by law enforcement. Usually, if some communication or business is required, it is the monsters that are being allowed to leave temporary, on personal basis. As a result, those ghettos also house the "monsters" of the humanoid races, in form of various criminal structures, as well as some outcasts, rebels and political refugees. Those people sometimes forms ghettoes within ghettoes, enclaves of humanoids among monsters.

The idea is to begin a campaign in such an enclave. I think it can have very nice flavor, and present D&D monsters from a different side...

What do you think?

knightsaline
2007-12-15, 07:51 PM
Very good idea. I suppose overcrowded land means no Sonkys? The rumors of the Tarrasque would have to be untrue, since you would need to build on top of its lair in order to do that. My suggestions would be that the lower levels require a light source, since the sun does not reach through all the other layers.

Eerie
2007-12-16, 03:33 AM
Very good idea. I suppose overcrowded land means no Sonkys?

Blasphemy! :smallbiggrin:

The rumors of the Tarrasque would have to be untrue, since you would need to build on top of its lair in order to do that.

Maybe that`s what they did.

My suggestions would be that the lower levels require a light source, since the sun does not reach through all the other layers.

Smoky torches everywhere. :smallamused:

Learnedguy
2007-12-16, 05:41 AM
It sparked my imagination. I like it:smallamused:

The setting remind sme of Sharn, but bigger and badder.
Now, where do the rich people live? Other planes, floating isles, tall towers? What's teh government like? Multiple government, city districts, one huge multicorporation with monopoly on the food?

Eerie
2007-12-16, 11:58 AM
It sparked my imagination. I like it:smallamused:

The setting remind sme of Sharn, but bigger and badder.
Now, where do the rich people live? Other planes, floating isles, tall towers? What's teh government like? Multiple government, city districts, one huge multicorporation with monopoly on the food?

Let`s see. Magic is not very high. So other planes for them are like outer space for us. And floating isles - do you mean floating on air? That`s theoretically possible but would cost too much. If you mean on water, then sure, there are lost of luxury ships and floating platforms. But mostly rich people live where rich people usually live - in better districts.

As for government - I imagine it as fantasy punk. That is to say, big corporations guilds fighting each other.

Pronounceable
2007-12-16, 01:51 PM
Cute. With that mention of tens of billions of people, it seems like a gentler incarnation of the Imperium of Man. Would be the Imperium of Biped in this instance though.

Eerie
2007-12-16, 02:14 PM
Cute. With that mention of tens of billions of people, it seems like a gentler incarnation of the Imperium of Man. Would be the Imperium of Biped in this instance though.

Also more sociologically realistic.

RoyaleWithCheez
2008-07-02, 10:13 PM
I love this idea (sorry for the 7-month span, I only just found it). Would you consider running a game in this setting for 4th edition?

Eerie
2009-03-14, 06:33 AM
I love this idea (sorry for the 7-month span, I only just found it). Would you consider running a game in this setting for 4th edition?

A-ha-ha. I love dialogs where each turn takes a year. :smallamused:

I don`t have books for 4th edition...

Athaniar
2009-03-14, 04:58 PM
I love this idea, too, really sparks the imagination: once-proud races (such as illithids) forced to live in ghettoes, despised and enslaved by the very people they thought they were superior to, corrupt noblemen gaining even more wealth and prestige by exploiting the common people, druids desperately holding on to the last remnants of nature.

And when you mentioned guilds, I thought of Ravnica. Any inspiration from there?

Eerie
2009-03-15, 01:35 AM
And when you mentioned guilds, I thought of Ravnica. Any inspiration from there?

No, it`s the first time I hear about it. But it does look a bit similar

Athaniar
2009-03-15, 06:45 AM
If you tone down guild conflicts, it probably won't be too similar.